Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

11 minutes ago, CaptainJames2004 said:

So what's still on the line with this weekend's matchup, and what to watch for? Brewers need to lose how many?

We need to match the Brewers weekend record to maintain homefield. 

Brewers are also one still only one game back of the Cardinals, so there's a not-zero chance they will have to play a game 163 to determine who wins the division. 

The Indians are now 2 games back of the AL WC2, so they will be desperate tonight. Hopefully less so by tomorrow/Sunday if we can eliminate them. 

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Max vs. Stras is a nice problem to have.

Strasburg has been excellent in the post-season too. No matter who starts--if they lose, it will be screamed about.

1 hour ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Brewers are also one still only one game back of the Cardinals, so there's a not-zero chance they will have to play a game 163 to determine who wins the division. 

I'd love for a game 163 in St. Louis, and maintain HFA--Brewers would have to go from Colorado-->St.Louis-->Here, over three days. That would give us a huge advantage, if they lose the 163

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'd love for a game 163 in St. Louis, and maintain HFA--Brewers would have to go from Colorado-->St.Louis-->Here, over three days. That would give us a huge advantage, if they lose the 163

I was thinking that. Also don’t think it’s terribly likely. 

I don’t think the Nats will sweep Cleveland, so assume best case is we take 2 of 3. 

Brewers are in Colorado, and weird stuff happens at 5280ft above sea level. Assume the Brewers take 2 of 3. 

In this scenario we’d have homefield. 

But, that requires the Cardinals to go 1-2 this weekend against the Cubs to tie the Brewers. Cubs are in a complete nosedive. No way they take 2/3 from the Cards, who are playing for the division. 

*Much* likelier scenario is the Nats take 2/3 from Cleveland, Cards take 2/3 from the Cubs, and Brewers sweep the Rockies. 

We’d lose homefield in this scenario, but it would still force game 163. And if Brewers lose game 163, they still have to play in 3 cities in 3 days (albeit with the WC game at home against the Nats). 

Edited by skinsfan_1215
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Strasburg has been excellent in the post-season too. No matter who starts--if they lose, it will be screamed about.

Eh, depends on how he does.  If whoever they decide goes 7 or 8 strong innings, enough to get a win but the offense gets shut down, that's not Max/Stras' fault

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

That's a little inflated--a lost ball in the sun and Brad Miller drastically raise those. Granted he did hang a slider to Matt ****ing Wieners of all people.

Check out the FIP numbers in his post to correct for the fielding. 

Max has been pretty close to back to himself the past two outings. I don’t have any issue with him starting the game. 

• Like 2

Yea, I think at this point it's a coin flip.  I would even think Corbin should get some consideration depending on the left/right splits of whoever we play, but he pitches tomorrow and the schedule just doesn't work out.

I'm going to the game tomorrow, and without my kid this time, so instead of spending half the game in the kids playground area and searching for sugary foods, I can spend half the game chugging beer and the other half going to the bathroom. :)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Yea, I think at this point it's a coin flip.  I would even think Corbin should get some consideration depending on the left/right splits of whoever we play, but he pitches tomorrow and the schedule just doesn't work out.

I'm going to the game tomorrow, and without my kid this time, so instead of spending half the game in the kids playground area and searching for sugary foods, I can spend half the game chugging beer and the other half going to the bathroom. :)

Corbin makes more sense in the pen. Given Doolittle's form, we dont have anyone reliable to get lefties outin the pen. He will be ready if max falters early or if they need the lefty on lefty matchup mid-late in the game.

I’d try to avoid Corbin if we can. Obviously with a one game elimination you use whatever pitchers you need to win, but you’d hope that a combo of Scherzer and Strasburg could get it done for you. Corbin would be a damn good game 1 starter vs the Dodgers and their lefties. 

WCG: Scherzer for 5-6 innings, Strasburg for 3-4, Doolittle/Hudson to finish it if needed. 

Dodgers series: 

Corbin

Sanchez

Strasburg

Scherzer

Corbin 

36 minutes ago, -JB- said:

I’m going on record as saying I am not a fan of Max in the wild card game.  I love Max But, man, Strasburg has just been clearly better down the stretch.  He is our ace THIS SEASON.  THIS SEASON is on the line and we aren’t handing him the ball.  I hope I’m wrong!

It's really like deciding between the 18 oz. Prime ribeye and the 18 oz. Prime strip.

Max's peripherals have been better, I don't really see a big difference either way.

16 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

It's really like deciding between the 18 oz. Prime ribeye and the 18 oz. Prime strip.

Max's peripherals have been better, I don't really see a big difference either way.

I do like how the starting pitching would line up IF the Nats win the WC game with Stras going game one, Corbin game two, Max game 3, Corbin game 4 & Stras in a do or die game 5.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, -JB- said:

I do like how the starting pitching would line up IF the Nats win the WC game with Stras going game one, Corbin game two, Max game 3, Corbin game 4 & Stras in a do or die game 5.

Corbin would be pitching Game 4 on three days rest in that scenario. Not the best place to be in.

56 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Corbin would be pitching Game 4 on three days rest in that scenario. Not the best place to be in.

I just can’t see 4 starters going in 5 game series.  I’m sure Corbin can go on 3 days rest.  I don’t think Sanchez going game 4 is a terrible option either.

Edited by -JB-

I hate the idea of Strasburg coming out of the pen. He's a creature of habit and asking him to just go out and pitch in a high leverage situation risks screwing with his mental game. Max is a much better bullpen option. He's tough as nails, nothing breaks him. 

But it's been established that Davey has no idea what he's doing, so I'm not surprised that he's letting tradition and sentiment guide his decisions instead of stats. 

I hope it works out. 

Edited by Bacon

2 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I hate the idea of Strasburg coming out of the pen. He's a creature of habit and asking him to just go out and pitch risks screwing with his mental game. Max is a much better bullpen option. He's tough as nails, nothing breaks him. 

But it's been established that Davey has no idea what he's doing, so I'm not surprised that he's letting tradition and sentiment guide his decisions instead of stats. 

I hope it works out. 

We’ve seen Max come out of the bullpen and get shelled in the playoffs. 

• Like 1