Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

3 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

If the goal is to repeat as champs, I probably would have pulled the trigger on that Bryant deal.

On paper, it looks like a steal. However, when was the last time Rizzo was wrong about a prospect? He's given up talented guys, sure, but the best 2 are Giolito (who has one good year, but was wildly inconsistent) and Luzardo who has major injury concerns.

Always take notice when Rizzo holds onto a prospect.

• Like 1

Kieboom and Garcia for a couple years of Bryant? I dunno, man. Maybe. If the goal is youth and to save money, going that route would have been pointless. Just sign Rendon. 

Robles for two seasons of Bryant would have been a horrible move. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Want some fun? Go back to about page 700 and start reading. The frustration from weak contact and **** calls, to Howie's clang, to Eatons insurance runs to the final out elation. It's amazing.

Turning the game off in frustration somewhere around the 5th inning and turning it back on once we had the lead is still one of the biggest mistakes of my life. I don't get the happy feeling I should hearing that clang. I just kind of feel guilty and bad. Lesson learned.

On the other hand, Soto scoring off Osuna and Hudson throwing his glove? That gives me the warm fuzzies. That final out might always be the best sports moment of my life. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

On paper, it looks like a steal. However, when was the last time Rizzo was wrong about a prospect? He's given up talented guys, sure, but the best 2 are Giolito (who has one good year, but was wildly inconsistent) and Luzardo who has major injury concerns.

On the other hand, Rizzo has not had much success drafting pitchers as of late. Who's the last one we drafted who fulfilled their promise for us?

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, StillUnknown said:

On the other hand, Rizzo has not had much success drafting pitchers as of late.

Yeah, but supposedly Rutledge is the real deal--they did not expect to get him last year and jumped on him when he was available at 17. I am hoping Romero gets his head out of his ass. Denaburg I have less hope for (1st round HS right handers have a horrible track record)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Yeah, but supposedly Rutledge is the real deal--they did not expect to get him last year and jumped on him when he was available at 17. I am hoping Romero gets his head out of his ass. Denaburg I have less hope for (1st round HS right handers have a horrible track record)

There is considerable logic to keeping them all. I dont even think turning down the trade was "wrong". It just signals to me they are not pushing their cards to go all-in this year. 

I legitimately think Bryant is the difference between us repeating as champs and struggling to make the playoffs. I make the deal, but i understand why Rizzo didnt

Maybe i'm just not as attached to prospects as I used to get. Sometimes their best value is simply being a prospect. I didnt like the giolito deal even tho i had largely given up on him, but it netted us a crucial piece to our world series run.

• Like 1

Yeah--we shall see. I am not overly optimistic about this season. I'm thinking about ~85 wins. But Ive been wrong before...a lot.

As for going all-in--I am never a fan of pushing it all in for 1 year. It rarely works. Get multiple bites at the apple. Eventually, you get to say

WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS.

• Like 3

If you think Soto and Robles are perennial all-stars, you don't gamble it all on them in their early 20s. And I think our pitching is so elite that we can compete without adding much offensively. 

In fact, I think Rizzo achieved his yearly goal of putting together a potential 90 win roster. Most outlets and betting books place us between 88 and 90 wins. This team is more seasoned, has tons of confidence in its manager, and has some of the best pitching and fielding in the sport. It will be on other teams to figure out how to score on us, not the other way around. Barring injury, we will almost certainly start off faster than last year and I expect greater consistency overall. 

Now, what I see happening down the road is for this team to slowly evolve into a higher scoring roster with pitching as the weak point. Right now, we're building around Max and Stras, but soon our strongest assets will be in the outfield and it will be up to Rizzo to land some stud pitching prospects that will allow us to re-sign Soto, Robles, Turner, etc. 

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Yea, Rizzo is obviously high on Kieboom and also Garcia/Rutledge and for good reason.  He drafted them.  Have to think if you give all 3 guys up for Bryant then your farm system is completely bare.  Gotta trust the process.

5 hours ago, Bacon said:

Turning the game off in frustration somewhere around the 5th inning and turning it back on once we had the lead is still one of the biggest mistakes of my life. I don't get the happy feeling I should hearing that clang. I just kind of feel guilty and bad. Lesson learned.

On the other hand, Soto scoring off Osuna and Hudson throwing his glove? That gives me the warm fuzzies. That final out might always be the best sports moment of my life. 

That is crazy to turn it off when we were only down 2-0 in the 5th inning!  Bonehead move of the century to miss Howie’s shot!  I honestly never doubted.  When they pulled Grienke and didn’t insert Cole I was happy & for good reason.  Such an awesome moment knowing that as soon as that ball hit Howie’s bat it was doing big damage down the line!!!!

• Like 1