Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Season WILL Begin Anew Next August

kleese

4 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Fan how you want to fan. 

I was just giving you a hard time cuz you came at the other guy crazy lol. Keep fighting that good fight dude  

No I know u were... I've seen you post on here a lot over the years man.. I can kind of grasp your personality...Yeah and I apologized to him, I had no right saying that...I turned 41 earlier this month and like goskins_08 said I'm gonna enjoy the **** out of watching Redskins football with my parents (while there still with me)and sister drinking beers cheering on the Redskins loud and proud no different as if we were in the stadium....we be. The devil's rejects...lol..idk only thing I can think.

This will go down well. But I’m nottin if not totally straight up  honest .....

I’ve watched more Cowboys games than Redskins games this year. Seriously.

Thanksgiving was just about the only time I was fully invested and screaming at the TV in B&G support of old and they blew that one too! 

My conplete apathy for this absolute ****show organisation has never been as low as it currrently is my 36 years being a Redskin. 

The last good few years ‘Redskins Sundays’ for me haven’t been done with much of any enjoyment. More force-of-habit. Something I’d always done and didn’t know any different. Which is a horrible way to justify watching your team in itself.

Now, its not even that.

We could win 5 SB’s back-to-back and I still don’t think I’d ever forgive the lil prick in his crocodile skin shoes for making me feel this way on my team.

Hail.

It's sad to read so many truly gloomy posts; including the ones predicting even more dire consequences looming ahead for this franchise.  The way the Skins playoff run ended was sad, but then again it took a massive number of injuries to the cast of Skins starters to bring about the collapse, and even so, the Skins were still in the hunt until Dec 22.  Maybe that end of season losing streak makes folks focus more on ALL the possible things that are wrong with the Skins, and the media is right there to help list them for you.

My feeling,  a streak of losses should not convince us that the team is unsalvagable, and cursed,  just as much as a streak of wins shouldn't convince us that the team is perfect and invincible.  There will be better times ahead, there will bumps in the road and other bad times ahead.  This team may lose good players, but they have a lot of good players who will still be here, and maybe some of the new players brought in will turn out to be good too.  Some teams' fortunes rise, some teams' fortunes fall -- perhaps the trait of a reliable fan is being able to stick with your team, whichever situation happens.

Look, I'm not a big fan of Snyder, Allen, and I don't consider Gruden as one of top-notch coaches in the NFL. But I'm grateful to have an NFL franchise representing my city, and a historic franchise at that.  I'm glad to be able to reflect on moments of when I shared Skins fan experiences with my Dad --- and, win or lose, those were pretty special.  And it's been great to be able to share views on this team with fellow ES'ers; I learn a lot from them. (This one of the better NFL franchise message boards I've seen.)

FYI, I stopped playing fantasy football years ago (even though I often won) because it was more fun to focus my attention on the team I'd chosen to support as a fan, and to cheer on in public.  Even though the Skins haven't won a championship lately, they've had some exciting wins and losses -- and the entertainment was enhanced by the fact that I had invested myself in how well they did.  So, in spite of the recent string of losses that prevented the Skins from making the playoffs, I am still a fan

To be clear, fans don't have to be like sheep -- they've a right to their opinions and to express/explain/defend/debate them.  And I'll still be critical of decisions made, plays that weren't executed properly, and even about players/coaches/execs I prefer not be on the team that I support as a fan.  But as long as I'm a fan, I'll also stay hopeful that things will improve for "my" team, even when it's going through rough times.  And I encourage other fans to not let their spirits sink too low during the tough times -- and maybe to consider how even the 2018 Skins team still has a lot of talent, and how it has been able to maintain some continuity. So maybe the 2019 Skins might not necessarily be condemned to have a 2-14 season next year with the entire coaching staff being blown up and followed by a  5-7 year rebuild... simply because of some awkward personnel decisions made by the FO in December 2018.

Who knows? It's a long off-season and maybe the 2019 Skins might pleasantly surprise you!

16 hours ago, kleese said:

But the point is that next season WILL arrive whether you want it to or not. And chances are the prospects for the season won’t feel as dire then as they do now. Time heals; if only temporarily. 

I have a feeling that as long as Allen is here, we'll keep repeating the same thing... about this time every year. It's gotten to the point that no matter what happens in the draft, as long as Allen and Snyder force their great football knowledge on personnel upon us, every August will feel like a disaster is about to loom upon us. I can sort of understand the first 10 years of this ownership trying to build a team his way, but it's getting ridiculous and out of hand this latter decade. Oh yeah, it was fine for him to grow up and see the glory years of this team, but now he's just getting in the way of a whole new generation trying to experience the same thing, or at least something close to it. This is what makes me sick. He knows what to do, and yet he continuously (except for 1 year... big deal) refuses to do it. 

I will never root for the team to lose but the best thing for the franchise long term; is for us to have a disaster season in 2019.  A season where we are truly bad.  So bad, we are flirting with 13 or more losses.   The stadium will be basically empty if that happens.   

This team needs a couple of seasons like that.  A bad 2019 will finally clear us of Allen and Gruden.  Then we can start over in 2020, the right way.

You already know the ceiling with both Allen and Gruden.  You aren't going to do any better than mediocre.  It's better to stink now, so that forces the needed change. Then you can rebuild again under a new regime.   Yeah, we know the track record of the Skins under new regimes but the time has come for a change.  We aren't getting that change in the offseason.  Snyder will believe the spin about the 6-3 start; when in reality we aren't that good. Even during that start you could see it was really mirage that would've been resoundly exposed; had the team made the playoffs.

19 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

However, the down side to doing this is you see just how far the Skins are from competence.  The 6-3 start was a mirage. They could beat bad teams who had bad offenses. They happened to play all of them early in the season.  They weren’t that good.  Hell, they gave up 500 yards to TB, and still won because TB basically tried to lose.

There are about 6 players, a few position coaches and that’s about it to be excited about. Otherwise it’s a catastrophe. The Smith contract is basically cap penalty part II, Jay Gruden is a conservative wonder who runs lackadaisical practices and has no idea how to prepare a championship team.  Manusky is average.  At best.

This is pretty much where I'm at.  For a long time fans have screamed to build up the trenches and the player selectors have pretty much done that.  The defense should be credited with creating timely turnovers to help win games this year like Carolina, Dallas, and Tampa Bay. However, if those turnovers aren't forced and don't come, if this defense is matched against any sort of competent quarterback with a playmaker, they fold like a cheap suit. Of course you can probably count on one hand and have fingers left over the stellar defenses in today's NFL.

And speaking of teams without playmakers on offense...….that is pretty much us. Leading up to every Sunday we look at our opponent and there's always at least one if not a few guys on their team that we say "Watch out for....."  Is there anyone on the Redskins that opposing fans say that about? I mean, Jamison Crowder is a decent receiver, but I don't think he strikes fear into the hearts of many fans. Jordan Reed might have been that guy several years ago, but his lack of dependability for several seasons kind of made him into a non-story. AP was that guy a while ago and has to be applauded for his effort and being a lot better than the other healthy RBs we had, but he's not the AP of yore. Maybe Guice will turn out to be that guy.

As for Jay, I feel bad for him given the extent of the injuries over the past two seasons. But the stories you hear about the cupcake practices do make you wonder just how prepared this team is on Sundays. And with Alex's injury and the real possibility of him missing some time at the start of the season, I can already hear the excuses for the 2019 season. "Well, we finished 8-8, but were competitive in December and had to deal with Colt starting x number of games." At some point you have to produce, and as time goes on, the price of poker goes up in my mind. I did not have very high expectations this season and thought that 9-7 would be good enough to keep Jay another year, playoffs or not. Well, tough to expect a lot more when your starting and backup QB break their legs. However, at some point you have to exceed even modest expectations if you want to stay around. Next year, I think Jay is going to need 10-6 to survive (if he doesn't get dismissed at the end of this season).

And aside to see what happens with some faces we've become familiar with on the roster, I'm really curious to see how Brian Lafemina and his merry men do about what was really a stark display of apathy from the Redskins fanbase when it came to the number of folks attending the games. I mentioned in another thread going to an Eagles-Redskins finale at the stadium in 1997 for a game where we were 7-7-1 and were hanging on to faint playoff hopes, the Eagles were 6-8-1. That was when the place, in its first year, had 29 rows in the upper deck all the way around, and the place was packed. Oh how far we have fallen. 

Ironically, it's because of fantasy football that I knew the Redskins were playing Saturday.

And I'll confess to watching more Vikings games than Redskins games this season. 

365 days ago I would have had trouble naming three Vikings players.  Today, I don't think I can name three healthy Redskins offensive linemen.

Sorry, but if you dont believe that its false that "1. They are destined for a horrid/lost season next year. " you are choosing to be delusional.  Which is fine if it suits you, but its a bit weird trying to convince other people to join you, as if thats a good thing.

I guess people get excited about weird things, the 2019 Redskins is one of the weirdest, and thats saying something...

I am one of the fortunate who was around and an adult { chronologically speaking } during the glory days of the 80's, where music, technology, video and arcade games, and yes, the Washington Redskins, were THE thing to have or watch.

Back then, Gibbs had his staff, the best people for the job for what he wanted to accomplish, and he worked tirelessly day in and day out, developing schemes, studying opponents' weaknesses and strengths, tendencies, etc, and come Sunday or Monday night, he always had the team prepared, so no matter WHO the opponent was, I knew the Redskins had a good chance in every game to win.

He had more assistants and coaches on the team than any other team in the league, because he felt that paying attention to details was important.

And Gibbs' record proved it. He had an owner, Jack Kent Cooke, who had complete faith in him and supported him in whatever Gibbs needed.  Gibbs had Bobby Beathard, a GM who had an eye for quality football talent, and would find the players that Joe needed in the draft, especially in the lower rounds, Beathard really excelled.

One year he had a losing season of 7-9 in 1988, and the entire league was wondering what was wrong with the Gibbs-led Redskins, to fall to such a low record. But I wasn't worried. I knew there would be a year here and there where another team simply had much stronger horses, and I knew that Gibbs would find a way to defeat those stronger horses, and he did.

The 80's were the greatest decade ever, the Redskins and 49ers were the 2 perennial teams that everyone gravitated to, because they were the best coached teams with the best players for the job their coach wanted to accomplish.  But Gibbs proved you don't have to have the best QB, but the best team. He won 3 SuperBowls with 3 different QBs in a decade, and that is a stat that is really telling of how good he was. Every year, I could expect a 10-6, 11-5, 12-4, or a 14-2 season, and I always knew we'd be in the playoffs and would be the team to worry about.

This century, things are totally different. We have an owner, who admittingly is a passionate Redskins fan. The problem is, he's a nostalgic man, who would love to see what happened in the 80's happen again; but in doing so, he's put his trust in nostalgia by hiring former faces of this team to run the operations, and it just doesn't work that way. To make things worse, those same people have chosen to hire people who have a stronger friendship than success record, and eventually the effects have trickled down to the players.  I can understand someone not wanting to lose their job, but if that person is not getting the job done, then a change has to be made. Unfortunately, this very person is the one who is in charge. The only person who can remove him is the owner, but the owner has such fond memories of him that he cannot believe that he is the problem.

Therefore, it becomes a cycle of ineptness with a bleep here and there of temporary success.

Times change. Do they ever.

On 12/25/2018 at 10:16 AM, bakedtater1 said:

Let me start by taking that back and saying sorry.. second Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year's to you too..my emotions are getting the best of me and I had no right saying that.

NP, it's all good.  This team is getting us all bent out of shape with their three ring circus of Dan (puppet master), Bruce (ringmaster) and Jay (clown).  

16 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Sorry, but if you dont believe that its false that "1. They are destined for a horrid/lost season next year. " you are choosing to be delusional.  Which is fine if it suits you, but its a bit weird trying to convince other people to join you, as if thats a good thing.

I guess people get excited about weird things, the 2019 Redskins is one of the weirdest, and thats saying something...

Eh, like I said, 8 months is a loooong time. I would be STUNNED if the Redskins start next season with an offense worse than what we've fielded the last 6 weeks or so. And even with this band of total cast-offs and replacement parts they are basically a competitive team. You also add guys like Guice and Quinn who we really know nothing about yet, but are young-- so it's like adding extra draft picks to whoever we choose this year. And as I mentioned in my OP, the biggest change is that we truly have a building block on the roster now-- the DL is STOUT an is uber-talented and young. When you have that in the fold, it lessens the need to fill other holes. I also like some of the young guys like Anderson and Hamilton that should be given more of an opportunity moving forward. My best guess is we will have a so-so roster entering 2019. And I'll probably be expecting so-so results. 

Now, in terms of having any real faith that they are heading in a championship direction? Yeah, uh, no. I'm certainly not saying that. And even if you agree with me I would also understand not being overly enthused about expecting so-so results on the heels of back to back to back seasons of so-so results already. But no, unless they decide to purposely burn it to the ground this off-season, I do not see a complete roster implosion prior to next year. 

On 12/25/2018 at 2:10 PM, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

This will go down well. But I’m nottin if not totally straight up  honest .....

I’ve watched more Cowboys games than Redskins games this year. Seriously.

Thanksgiving was just about the only time I was fully invested and screaming at the TV in B&G support of old and they blew that one too! 

My conplete apathy for this absolute ****show organisation has never been as low as it currrently is my 36 years being a Redskin. 

The last good few years ‘Redskins Sundays’ for me haven’t been done with much of any enjoyment. More force-of-habit. Something I’d always done and didn’t know any different. Which is a horrible way to justify watching your team in itself.

Now, its not even that.

We could win 5 SB’s back-to-back and I still don’t think I’d ever forgive the lil prick in his crocodile skin shoes for making me feel this way on my team.

Hail.

Good to "see" you GHH. I don't think your experience is rare unfortunately. Many long time fans have reached a point where they aren't even angry anymore-- maybe in a big picture way, but not on a day to day basis at least. And that's really bad news for the organization, because i believe once someone crosses over they really can't come back. Once you let go, I think it's gone. Not saying 100%, but you know what i mean. And i also think some people loathe Snyder so much that they really wouldn't even WANT the Redskins to succeed under him. I think a lot of fans out there detest him so much that the thought of him at a trophy ceremony makes the cringe (not that they have to worry about that). The organization has alienated a good portion of their core fans. They have failed to gain traction with new fans. I think what kinda sorta sustains them is that there is a large throng of semi-casual fans throughout the country. People who don't live and die with the team, but still consider them their favorite. So once a year they are fine with making a trip to see the Skins wherever it may be-- and we do travel well. But I think the fan base overall has totally disintegrated. And there is no short term fix. Literally no fix. Not even winning would do it. It will take YEARS of good results to even begin to build it back up. And the prospect of "years of good results" under Snyder seems remote at best. 

For me, it just doesn't really matter. They are a football team. The one I randomly chose to root for long ago and it became a big part of my life. So I just keep doing it because I keep enjoying it. Snyder doesn't register much for me... whatever. I loved the Skins before him and never felt like I was somehow supporting HIM when I support them. Heck, I don't support THEM either anyway. I do it for my own personal/selfish reasons. I get where you are at. I really do. I hear ya loud and clear and I understand why you are there. Many others as well. I'm glad I'm not there though; hope to never be. That would be really sad for me. 

If Gruden and Allen are back in the same roles then you're going to get the same thing.  Oh sure some will blame it on different issues (injuries, a bad call here or there etc) but it's going to all come out the same.  We'll be saddled with a tweener club again that is stuck not committing to a proper rebuild in part b/c they ****ed up the Qb situation badly enough to haunt us for 4-5 seasons.

Anyone who spends any money supporting this organization is part of the problem.   

33 minutes ago, kleese said:

Eh, like I said, 8 months is a loooong time. I would be STUNNED if the Redskins start next season with an offense worse than what we've fielded the last 6 weeks or so. And even with this band of total cast-offs and replacement parts they are basically a competitive team. You also add guys like Guice and Quinn who we really know nothing about yet, but are young-- so it's like adding extra draft picks to whoever we choose this year. And as I mentioned in my OP, the biggest change is that we truly have a building block on the roster now-- the DL is STOUT an is uber-talented and young. When you have that in the fold, it lessens the need to fill other holes. I also like some of the young guys like Anderson and Hamilton that should be given more of an opportunity moving forward. My best guess is we will have a so-so roster entering 2019. And I'll probably be expecting so-so results. 

Now, in terms of having any real faith that they are heading in a championship direction? Yeah, uh, no. I'm certainly not saying that. And even if you agree with me I would also understand not being overly enthused about expecting so-so results on the heels of back to back to back seasons of so-so results already. But no, unless they decide to purposely burn it to the ground this off-season, I do not see a complete roster implosion prior to next year. 

In fairness, Im not sure anything this franchise could do could stun any fan.  I just think arguing how things look on paper with this team is fruitless, because we all know that it wont look anything like that, because...Redskins?  No matter how competent that roster may look, this franchise is such a disaster from top to bottom the president, PR, and coaches will ruin the talent before it goes anywhere.  Thats been consistent for some time.

And why would anybody believe that next year we wont lead the league in injuries?

13 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

In fairness, Im not sure anything this franchise could do could stun any fan.  I just think arguing how things look on paper with this team is fruitless, because we all know that it wont look anything like that, because...Redskins?  No matter how competent that roster may look, this franchise is such a disaster from top to bottom the president, PR, and coaches will ruin the talent before it goes anywhere.  Thats been consistent for some time.

And why would anybody believe that next year we wont lead the league in injuries?

I don't disagree with anything you just said. But we've gone 9-7, 8-7-1, 7-9, and now either 7-8 or 8-8. The most recent two years having been decimated by injuries. And the roster isn't really "old" and I don't see us losing some of the core guys that are the main reasons we won when we won (Trent, Scherff, Allen, Payne, etc.) And I do think we've oddly gotten good at drafting which is probably keeping us from bottoming out. I'm just saying if you make a couple predictable subtractions and a couple of predictable additions, I think I'll enter next year looking at a roster similar to what we've had in recent years. And I'm NOT saying that you should "excite" anyone. I get jazzed up regardless because i just like the rhythm of the season and always cross my fingers that maybe we fall backwards into a good season. 

Well, we already started off on the wrong foot.  We just moved on from our marketing team that may have had a better chance  if we actually were at least looking like we were trying to be competent on the ops side. If we reach out to a real football guy instead of just another Worm Tongue, I bet a 7-9 season or even a 6-10 season that shows a valid reason to have hope, might have provided them with a customer base not so pissed.  We have a good young core and with a few good football moves might even be a 2019 version of the Rams.  Hell, I'd take the 2016 version of the Eagles!

7 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

Well, we already started off on the wrong foot.  We just moved on from our marketing team that may have had a better chance  if we actually were at least looking like we were trying to be competent on the ops side. If we reach out to a real football guy instead of just another Worm Tongue, I bet a 7-9 season or even a 6-10 season that shows a valid reason to have hope, might have provided them with a customer base not so pissed.  We have a good young core and with a few good football moves might even be a 2019 version of the Rams.  Hell, I'd take the 2016 version of the Eagles!

I think this is sort of the head scratching thing about this current "era" of Redskins football. They have continued to embarrass themselves off the field and alienate fans. But purely in terms of the football players on the football team... I think they've done OK there. 

40 minutes ago, kleese said:

I think this is sort of the head scratching thing about this current "era" of Redskins football. They have continued to embarrass themselves off the field and alienate fans. But purely in terms of the football players on the football team... I think they've done OK there. 

I'll agree and that is the one reason I think we may be attractive to a real football front office.  If I was considering the Skins as my destination as the new HC or GM-type, I wouldn't be so worried about what's below as about what's above.

1 hour ago, kleese said:

If you call 30 games under .500 over 10 years OK, I guess your definition of OK and mine are very different.

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If you call 30 games under .500 over 10 years OK, I guess your definition of OK and mine are very different.

I think Ed is mainly referring to the Jay era, and being basically a .500 team the past four years.

The Jay narrative might have been different if we had broken through to the playoffs for a second straight year in 2016. I get this nagging feeling that the eight game stretch during that season where we went 6-1-1, with the non-winning games ones we could've easily won, might well be the zenith in Gruden's Redskins career. I understand people pointing to the volume of injuries the past two seasons as reason to give him another shot, but again, the longer he stays, the more he's going to have to exceed expectations. I don't think 9-7 with moderate health in 2019 is going to cut it. 

Just now, hail2skins said:

I think Ed is mainly referring to the Jay era, and being basically a .500 team the past four years.

Jay’s not at .500

his beat year was barely ok, his best team suffered from some of the worst coaching ever to end up 8-7-1, and this and the last season will both be 7-9.

Jay is about .400 winning percentage.

Still not OK.  

45 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Jay’s not at .500

his beat year was barely ok, his best team suffered from some of the worst coaching ever to end up 8-7-1, and this and the last season will both be 7-9.

Jay is about .400 winning percentage.

Still not OK.  

Didn't say the results are OK, said I think our roster management has been OK. Meaning if I go by position by position I like this roster more than I have in many, many years... I think it's why they've managed middling results on the field while getting F grades off of it. They are extremely self-destructive but they've somehow managed to put together a roster that isn't terrible. In other words, if they could find a way to just get a few basics right and get a decent stroke of luck, the roster is fully capable of a 10-6 type season. That's all I'm saying. 

On 12/26/2018 at 1:18 AM, Peregrine said:

Sorry, but if you dont believe that its false that "1. They are destined for a horrid/lost season next year. 

Im sorry, but for some reason, just the way that is worded, makes it sound like you’re saying people are delusional if they think the redskins are destined for a horrid/lost season next year. 

I dont quite know why i think It sounds that way...but for some reason it just does 😂😂 

The Redskins haven’t won more than 10 games in any season since 1991. Let that sink in.  In the last 25 seasons they have won a combined 2 playoff games.  They haven’t gone past the 2nd round in 28 years.  This isn’t going to get any better.  There is no hope.  I’m not Mr. Doom & Gloom.  I just refuse to support anything to do with Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen or Vinny Cerrato or whatever sock puppet Snyder keeps in his office drawer.  

Archived