Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump Border Wall Post-Shutdown Discussion (Wall-Fight)

Fergasun

I ****ing Hate Trump.  So now he has cut off disaster relief to CA to retaliate for this wall BS??? He removed SALT deductions because they new it would hurt upscale blue voting areas.  Now this??  He needs to be gone.  If he's reelected in 2020 this country is pretty much done.  Never has a more capricious asshole ever been in office.

Edited by HOF44
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mitch knows he needs to hold a line in the Senate and until 10-15 GOP Senators waiver, he's not going to undercut Trump -- but cracks are already showing. Mitch has an election. The last thing he wants is Trump to call him "Mushy Mitch" or "Pelosi's Mitch". These GOP Senators have stuck with him through lots legislative battles.

It would be interesting to see if Romney steps up somewhere... given his background (GOP governor in blue state), he could be someone who works on a compromise and could have good faith with Dems like Durbin, Manchin, Jones.

Needless to say I really hate how partisan the Senate has become... its supposed to be the body above these politics... individual Senators have more power but they never act like it. This is where you needed a McCain, a Biden, a Lieberman and friendships beyond partisanship.

All that said, it's on Trump to de-escalate this. Walking out of meeting's because of no-wall is not how these negotiations have ever gone. Not giving your negotiator's any framework on where to work with or legislative strategy -- it's obvious Trump has never dealt with this situation before (because he had always had a fealty GOP to work with).

No one on GOP wants to say this is a clusterfark publicly, but Trump is going places traditional politicians wouldn't. No one on the GOP has any idea how to craft a bill Trump will sign. The moment informal bipartisan Senators reach out to each other (and the GOP clusters are forming) this will move discussion beyond Trump. I think you will see Leahy, Murray and Durbin on the Dem side get engaged. My "solution" would also include Homeland Security Senators.... Ron Johnson, Tom Carper -- although Johnson has not behaved like a moderate....

• Like 1

I'm noticing lots of people acting like the main roadblock here is Skippy, and that he's doing it out of loyalty to Trump. 

But my own (ignorant) feeling is that he's at least partially doing it to protect his fellow R senators. 

I'd bet that there's at least a few R senators who would really rather not go on record as either voting on a Trump monument, or voting against the Trump base. Skippy is probably getting at least a few "please don't make me cast a high profile, roll call vote on this turd." requests. 

Same thing about voting on some of the Dem compromise proposals. He's not blocking votes on them to protect Trump. Part of his reasoning (IMO) is that a vote on a compromise EITHER makes the GOP go on record rejecting compromise, or forces a fight between the R senate and Trump. 

Skippy's not protecting Trump. He's protecting the Party. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Larry said:

Plus I think he doesn't trust Trump either.  The D's and R's had a budget they thought Trump was ok with, passed it, and after watching Fox that night Trump changed his mind and left them hanging.  So now he's backing nothing until Trump says he will sign it.  At least the Turtle is predictable and consistent (hold and increase his personal power).  Trump is a freakin loose cannon, never know what direction he is gonna go.  

6 minutes ago, Larry said:

Without a doubt, McConnell's entire focus is consolidating Republican power.  If throwing Trump under the bus would result in the Republican party getting a majority in both houses, he'd do it in a second.

My mother was a lifer for Agriculture and USTR, and apparently dealt with McConnell's staff on a regular basis (this was a few decades ago) and half-jokingly said all he truly gives a **** about are the bourbon and race horse industries.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

McConnell's motivation for everything is maintaining Republican power in the Senate.  If that takes the form of supporting Trump, then he'll do that.  If he thinks breaking with Trump will be better politically, he'll do that.  

agreed there. He's scared.

He knows that if Trump is alive and squawking. He'll use his remain time on Earth to blame everyone who has ever been unfair to him for every issue in the world. Imagine a 75 year old Trump telling usually reliable Republican voters to rage against the GOP.

• Like 1

I sorta kinda hope Trump declares a national emergency about a made-up crisis to get $5 billion for a small section of border wall outside of normal Congressional appropriations.

Then the next Dem President can declare a national emergency about climate change and get $100 billion without Republican support.  

I would call the bill the Future Urgent Climate Ultimatum Act, or FUC U for short. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

Thing is, now that Trump thinks he can get away with naming this a national emergency, that's what he most wants. If he can get away with it everything becomes a national emergency and he can rule by decree as a true dictator. He can ignore Congress entirely. He can ignore everyone entirely.

Does anyone really believe that there are any lines (or any laws) trump would not cross to enrich himself or give himself he wants? If Mitch and the GOP don't realize this they are not only complicit, but idiots. For a Trump that doesn't have anyone to answer to is not going to be their friend or give them the things they want. They'll have sold their souls for pennies and burn with the rest of the country.

Edited by Burgold
  • Thanks 2

@Burgold his national emergency will get destroyed in court, so in ready to say he'll get away doing that over and over again.  I believe that also have to be renewed annually by Congress. 

He's showing he will press any button for any loophole he can find, but that doesn't mean he'll actually reach dictator status without some help.  If Trump does Martial Law and Turtle says its good for the GOP in ballot box, then we can talk dictatorship, stuff like that.  And yes, i do believe he will try that.

Just now, Renegade7 said:

@Burgold his national emergency will get destroyed in court,

I would hope so, but the Republicans have so stacked the Supreme Court with ideologues and extreme partisans that he might just get away with it. They've already ruled against precedent, practice, and in an unconstitutional manner several times over the past few years. 

My belief that our checks will actually hold up their part of the job has been shaken. We have witnessed undeniable wrongdoing and acts of monstrosity and the worst we have seen is the bodies designed to check him go, "tsk. tsk." Then, they let him do it anyway.

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

I would hope so, but the Republicans have so stacked the Supreme Court with ideologues and extreme partisans that he might just get away with it. They've already ruled against precedent, practice, and in an unconstitutional manner several times over the past few years. 

My belief that our checks will actually hold up their part of the job has been shaken. We have witnessed undeniable wrongdoing and acts of monstrosity and the worst we have seen is the bodies designed to check him go, "tsk. tsk." Then, they let him do it anyway.

Pretty much, once something advances beyond the District Court level to the Supremes all bets are off now.  Anything can happen and most of it not good.  

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

I'm not fan of what's happened to Supreme Court, either, but we need to confirm it will even go there first.  Many of his stupid idea got struck down by lower courts before even making it that far, some were conservative a well.  I was pleasantly surprised when Cavanaugh didn't want to deal with some of the abortion cases when he first got in, there are people that definitely have lines here because there's no way to ensure their own safety if they are crossed.  Trump will flip on any of them, probably no one gets that more clearly then Turtle now.