Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump Border Wall Post-Shutdown Discussion (Wall-Fight)

Fergasun

27 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

It's pretty bad.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/818966/senate-republicans-released-trumps-shutdown-bill-makes-big-quiet-changes-asylum-process

This is a huge set of changes that, on its own, is vastly worse than the "benefit" of 3 years of protections (mind you, given the court order and the narrowness of the law, this benefit is basically zero to a detriment), which combined with the wall funding makes this bill truly unconscionable.

It'll be a good test to see which Dems and Reps are playing political games by giving lip service to this "compromise" which is really anything but.

SCOTUS has declined to take it up, so there is basically zero benefit to Trump including this.  His "bargain" is saying he won't do something he is not legally allowed to do anyways, at least for now and likely up through the next election.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/courts_law/daca-program-that-protects-young-undocumented-immigrants-not-likely-to-get-supreme-court-review-this-term/2019/01/22/dd3ac11a-1db3-11e9-8e21-59a09ff1e2a1_story.html?utm_term=.ca36a8c4419e

The Supreme Court is not likely to review during its current term the program that shields young undocumented immigrants brought to the United States as children, leaving in place the Obama-era initiative that the Trump administration has tried to end.

The justices on Tuesday took no action on the administration’s request that it review the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, which has protected nearly 700,000 people brought to this country as children, commonly known as “dreamers.”

If the court sticks to its normal procedures, that would mean that even if it accepts the case as a later date, it would not be argued until the new term starting in October, with a decision likely in 2020.

DACA has emerged as an issue in the negotiations over ending the partial government shutdown, with President Trump offering extended but still temporary protection for those in the program in exchange for billions of dollars to build a border wall. Democrats have rejected the offer as “hostage-taking.”

Trump has previously said he wanted the Supreme Court to take the case and find he had the authority to end the program.

A string of lower of lower courts have said that Trump’s abrupt decision to terminate the Obama-era program was based on faulty legal reasoning and that the administration has failed to provide a solid rationale for ending it.

38 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

It's pretty bad.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/818966/senate-republicans-released-trumps-shutdown-bill-makes-big-quiet-changes-asylum-process

This is a huge set of changes that, on its own, is vastly worse than the "benefit" of 3 years of protections (mind you, given the court order and the narrowness of the law, this benefit is basically zero to a detriment), which combined with the wall funding makes this bill truly unconscionable.

It'll be a good test to see which Dems and Reps are playing political games by giving lip service to this "compromise" which is really anything but.

the dems are full of their own generous portion of crap in a variety of ways, but it's so far form "the same level" as the gopers that it really stands out to me...all the demographic ugly that the reptilians (spell check did that to my typo in "republicans") have tried to deny/hide/ignore has not only bubbled to the top in pride and volume, it's show itself to be the majority of the party and it's now running the show...it's getting harder and harder for me to find any goper mouthpieces---elected or pundit---that i am not seeing as completely irredeemable....even kinzinger's crumbling a bit, though hurd is still standing tall...but they've taken blatant spinning/lying and open bigotry to dramatic levels....personally, i'm at the point where i'd prefer their non-existence to their current state

• Like 2

It certainly seems that McConnell is starting to get more blame in the shutdown for totally abdicating his responsibility to the Senate. Both policy wise and politically Dems are doing the right thing. Keep passing bills that open the government. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hersh said:

It certainly seems that McConnell is starting to get more blame in the shutdown for totally abdicating his responsibility to the Senate. Both policy wise and politically Dems are doing the right thing. Keep passing bills that open the government. 

That Billboard from the Prison Officers Union of all places is gonna hurt! I would assume without looking at any information at all thats his demo calling him out. 

2 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

of course how this impacts fbi, doj, and other investigative agencies greatly distresses don and vlad.....

How much do you think this kind of undermining of the system was planned by either or both? Or was it just some happy accident. 

I keep trying to tell myself that this **** isnt smart enough to do this for any reason other than his own ego. But then I remember Vlad has effectively taken over a once world power by playing the same kind of tricks.  

• Sad 1

Yo Mitch

any chance during this shutdown those locks on the prison keeping those violent offenders in could fail?

We could really boost our client's first quarter numbers!

Thanks

Your pals,

~NRA

Edited by Bang

This is such utter unAmerican nonsense.

Voters need to not budge.  That's what Mitch is hoping for, that he can dupe people into incorrectly thinking its D's blocking things, when it's very much the other way around.  Not only is the House bill already passed, it was already passed by the Senste 100-0 last term.

Instead, no, no, no, we must have the President's bill, with some fake concession re DACA, which also has, snuck in there, a fundamental overhaul of the amnesty mechanisms of the country in a radically reactionary way!

It is amazing to me, the depths of the depravity.

I mean, not really, I've been paying attention since before 2005 and saw this kind of thing coming, but still, the cartoonish level of villainy!

If time machines are ever invented I'm just going to kidnap a bunch of studio executives from the early 2000's and pitch them movies based on the last 4 years of politics and see what they say.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DogofWar1 said:

Voters need to not budge.  That's what Mitch is hoping for, that he can dupe people into incorrectly thinking its D's blocking things, when it's very much the other way around.  Not only is the House bill already passed, it was already passed by the Senste 100-0 last term.

And it's timed to fail a day before federal workers miss their second paycheck. Hopefully people are smart enough not to fall for this farce but I'm positive the media will try to bothsides it.

Because both sides are afraid of overriding a veto with an actual practical bill. Both sides being McConnell and Kevin McCarthy. I get that Trump doesn't care, I get the Dem logic not to give into hostage takers, but why is the GOP so willing to tie themselves to the Trump shutdown?.

The solution has been obvious from the election.

McConnell, Pelosi need to hammer out a deal without Trump. Mitch doesn't want to because he has an election.... and Trump still thinks he is "winning". If not, just reopen the government for 3 weeks and start negotiations. Seems like everyone would agree to that (but Trump?).

It's obvious as long as immigration hardliners like Cotton and Miller have Trump's ear, he's not really going to compromise. Since the DACA people are protected, there's no real push to implement a fix for now --- guess DACA will be a 2020 issue.

Trump's next logical step would be to inflict pain on illegsl immigrants. Go ahead Donald, start deporting illegals.... oh wait, the deptartment that does that is shutdown.

I don't think the House (previous Senate) bill will fail in the Senate. If so, the Senate is going to "own" the shutdown too? I think if Trump's bill fails, the House bill passes. Trump would then get to veto it.

Is this the 3 week window bill or the whole CR? I am guessing the 3 week window bill.

3 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

So basically by throwing a hissy fit because he can't have his wall/monument to his megalomania, which pretty much every actual expert on the subject says will do very little to stop the influx of drugs, gang operations and criminals, Trump is now directly responsible for an increase in all of those things. 

Genius-meme.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

Theoretically the Senate could pass both, one dies in the House and one gets vetoed. Senate washes its hands of the issue.

No one passing the compromise agreed to by Trump with Pence and Jared. The reasonable bill won't be passed unless Republicans grow a pair by Thursday.

Edited by Cooked Crack

GOP is burying themselves if they vote against the clean bill. That will cost them virtually every federal worker's vote next election. Someone must know this on their side. Maybe Trump allows McConnell to pass it and reopen the government so Trump can give his SOTU speech.