Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump Border Wall Post-Shutdown Discussion (Wall-Fight)

Fergasun

5 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

The real question is how long Senate Republicans can hold out. Trump is unlikely to agree to anything that can pass the Senate. His veto will have to be over ridden.

I'm not sure - problem is with the Trump base they demonstrated in this last election they will sit out on candidates they don't like (What they call RINOs) and throw the seat to the Democrat (McSally perfect example) -  it is political suicide for the 2020 Senators if the Senate overrides the veto.  They may just have to come to the determination of heck going to lose anyway in 2020 so this is what I want to do. So this can go for a very long time.

another day in the hopefully terminal ****-show that is the gop

but, there's some good news for them...for as long as don's longtime handler/fashion sphinx/champion of surgical-chemical body mods and egotistical putin-proxy cartoon, melania, is comfy in mara lago on taxpayer $$, catered to, and most importantly, respected....:P:evil:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, twa said:

I think ya'll are trusting in Trump to act like a politician.....which is not a good read

Things can only get so bad for Trump/GOP before one of two things happen:

1. Senate GOP caves and a veto proof majority sends a bill to his desk, then overrides the veto

2. Trump caves.

So Trump can throw whatever tantrum he wants, and he's counting on the hope that polls will flip back to hurting Dems, but if they don't, then he also needs the GOP to not act like politicians.

Some of them will happily take down the US for this wall/Trump hill, but I think enough won't.  There's a reason Mitch McConnell is going full autocrat to prevent a vote.  He knows if one makes it to the floor he is screwed.

• Like 1

Democrats are holding a really good hand right now.  As @DogofWar1 said, they have absolutely no incentive to cave and every incentive to hold firm.  The polling isn't just showing Dem voters are on board with not budging, but that Trump's base is showing signs of cracking and, more importantly, that the people that are not vehemently to one side or the other in general are firmly against Trump on this one.  

Trump Is Unifying Democrats Instead of Consolidating His Base

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I was told we need to be happy with Joe Manchin types.

Manchin should just be ignored.  He's in the Senate, so his commentary on the House is pointless.  Further, until Mitch reopens the Senate for business, he's basically just sitting on his hands commentating from the sideliines.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I was told we need to be happy with Joe Manchin types.

As PB said, every Dem would vote to reopen the government immediately and Manchin just voted to keep sanctions on Russia. Funny, Bernie missed that vote. 

Who cares what he said for his own WV politics.

• Like 1

Trump needs a political bailout. Perhaps this is Mitch crossing him back (afterall Trump was fine with the Senate bill), waiting for Trump to be desperate? But Trump is too dumb to know when he's "losing".

The shame is that they will end up somewhere around what Pence was floating early Jan and everyone in the country is going to be more angry.

Nancy knows this.
Chuck knows this.
Mitch knows this.
Kevin knows this.

To everyone impacted this just feels like a powerplay where the politicos twist you in the wind uncaringly.... they could do the right thing in a fingersnap, but they (GOP) have to make Trump look good. If they don't they can certainly kiss their power goodbye....

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, nonniey said:

I'm not sure - problem is with the Trump base they demonstrated in this last election they will sit out on candidates they don't like (What they call RINOs) and throw the seat to the Democrat (McSally perfect example) -  it is political suicide for the 2020 Senators if the Senate overrides the veto.  They may just have to come to the determination of heck going to lose anyway in 2020 so this is what I want to do. So this can go for a very long time.

And that’s okay with you? 

There are three reasons the government is shut down. One is no longer around in Paul Ryan. 

That leaves Trump and Mitch McConnell. Those two are the only reason the government is shut down still. There is zero blame on the party that has repeatedly, in unified fashion, voted to keep the government open.

Edited by Hersh
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hersh said:

And that’s okay with you? 

Let me clarify right now they believe it would be political suicide to override the President, at some point if this goes on into 2020 they'll be free to do what they want because they will come to the conclusion that they are already dead anyway and won't have to worry about bucking the President.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

The real question is how long Senate Republicans can hold out. Trump is unlikely to agree to anything that can pass the Senate. His veto will have to be over ridden.

But it's also time to consider that maybe giving Trump a way out that's less humiliating might reduce bad feelings (ok, I know, it's Trump, he'll still be petty no matter how gracious you are), and (if that's not good enough) might end the shutdown much quicker. 

Pass a bill that's got increased funding for security, just not a wall. Let them say "look what I won". 

11 minutes ago, Larry said:

But it's also time to consider that maybe giving Trump a way out that's less humiliating might reduce bad feelings (ok, I know, it's Trump, he'll still be petty no matter how gracious you are), and (if that's not good enough) might end the shutdown much quicker. 

Pass a bill that's got increased funding for security, just not a wall. Let them say "look what I won". 

I don't believe he will settle for anything less than something he can call a wall after the shutdown is ended. I personally would give him some money for steel slats (less than 2.5b) in exchange for legislation precluding another shutdown and his resignation.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

I don't believe he will settle for anything less than something he can call a wall after the shutdown is ended. I personally would give him some money for steel slats (less than 2.5b) in exchange for legislation precluding another shutdown and his resignation.

Well if his resignation is on the table wouldn't you be willing to give the full 25 billion?

8 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

Ideally, you pass a bill with $5B in security, by a veto-proof vote. The message is pretty clear - Yeah, Donnie, you could veto it, but we all know what would happen next. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Well if his resignation is on the table wouldn't you be willing to give the full 25 billion?

No. His resignation, forfeiture of all property, a national viewing of the pee tape, and exile in on Elba Island for a continuous white picket fence no taller than 4 feet made of wood with zero maintenance.

Add: the original post was less than 2pt5 b

Edited by RedskinsFan44
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

No. His resignation, forfeiture of all property, a national viewing of the pee tape, and exile in on Elba Island for a continuous white picket fence no taller than 4 feet made of wood with zero maintenance.

Add: the original post was less than 2pt5 b

And a lifetime ban from Twitter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2