Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The official clean house thread.. lay out your plan for the future here

crabbypatty

Well folks, here we are once again with the wheels having fallen off yet another season. The 4-2 euphoria of early October is long gone.

It's the same 'ol story. Poor playcalling, poor execution, poor preparation, gobs of injuries.. stop me if you've heard this one before.

I among many are ready to see old Danny boy bust out the broom and do a complete clean sweep. Not this half assed fire this or that coordinator.. It's time to clean house.. the ENTIRE house from top to bottom.

Does he have the balls to do it? Time will tell. But for the meantime, I thought it would be a fun exercise to see what we could come up with collectively as a future roadmap for this franchise. So with that being said, here's my half baked plan:

*Fire Bruce (duh) Completely gut the FO. Maybe keep the cap guy and the scouting dept, but time to hire a GM with a plan and map out the future of the franchise.

*Can the coaching staff. And I mean the entire staff, from the HC to the strength guy to the nutritionist. Let the incoming regime decide who they want where.

*Return to the ZBS scheme. (This is just a personal wish of mine for the incoming staff) Obviously this is dependent on the coach that gets hired, but I'm convinced all the OL injuries year after year are a disastrous result of Gruden's "power running" scheme, where you've got upwards of 15-20 bodies around the LOS all bunched up between the hashes. Bodies fall everywhere and I think it's directly responsible for all the lower body injuries the OL sustains year after year. I don't recall too many lower injuries when we ran the ball with shanny's ZBS, and the running game was MUCH better back in those days, despite being manned by guys like Lictensteiger and Tyler Polumbus and Will Montgomery.

*Draft a QB. With the albatross of Smith's contract hanging around for the next 2 years, a QB on a rookie deal is important. Not saying they have to trade up to the top 5, but it's important they draft a qb this year.

*Jettison some large contracts. Norman, Reed, love you guys but cya. McGee, Davis and Foster, it's been swell, but bye. Allow P Smith and Crowder to leave via FA.

*continue to build through the draft. We've got lots of good young pieces along the OL and DL, even some youngsters in the secondary I think can do better than the position they're being put in now.  Where we're really lacking is the skill position guys. QB and WR most notably. All we can do on that front is hope we can draft those positions better than the last 25 years. No more Heath Shulers or Rod Gardners please.

That's all I got for now.

Fire all the Tampa Bay contingent, starting with cousin Brucie. Keep Kyle Smith and promote LaFemina to team president. Have him conduct a search for a QUALIFIED GM. That GM can decide whether to keep or replace Gruden. 

What will happen (unfortunately): Snyder will hire a big name over the hill coach out of retirement (or back from college like Harbaugh) and hand him full control over personnel. Wash, rinse, repeat. It's what he does. Hire an unproven offensive guy hoping he's the next Gibbs. That fuy always fails because Snyder has no eye for picking the right guy, and mostly because there's no competent person putting together the roster. That guy gets fired, and Snyder brings in an old guy and gives him complete control...something which all coaches want, but all of them other than Belichik and Parcells suck at. The old guy mortgages everything for one last gasp of greatness before retiring, leaving the next hire with a depleted roster. And the cycle repeats.

Robiskie-»Schotferbrains » Spurrier » Gibbs » Zorn » Shamahan » Gruden » ...Harbaugh or Cowher.

The only thing that will ultimately benefit the team is if the NFL can somehow intervene in what has essentially become a failed franchise. 

Much like the NBA did with the Clippers years ago. 

They need to somehow wrest this team from Snyder. Nothing will change until they do. It will be like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Great thread idea! Here's mine: 

1) Fire Allen and turn things over to Lafemina and Schaffer to staff and build. That means that EVERYONE under those two is up for evaluation, but they can retain people too. There's no point in starting over if you're going to saddle these guys with people. They should have a blank sheet of paper and build the front office. 

2) Obviously this means that Gruden is likely gone. I don't put as much blame on him as many do, but I think his time has run its course. 

3) I would like to see Kyle Smith given the GM role, but if the guys in #1 are making decisions, I don't really care who is named. 

4) Lastly, I hope that the personnel guys decide to get value for many of our named players. Trent Williams is a warrior and has been great. But he won't be in his prime by the time we are good again. Trade him. Same with guys like Kerrigan or Reed. The only players I'd have as "untouchable" are guys like Guice, the young DL, some of the young DBs, etc. 

So, I guess my plan is start over at the top and allow EVERYTHING to be on the table...please throw loyalties and nostalgia out the window and allow smart and reasonable guys to shape the future. 

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

4) Lastly, I hope that the personnel guys decide to get value for many of our named players. Trent Williams is a warrior and has been great. But he won't be in his prime by the time we are good again. Trade him. Same with guys like Kerrigan or Reed. The only players I'd have as "untouchable" are guys like Guice, the young DL, some of the young DBs, etc. 

Couldn't agree with this point more. 

Absent a change in ownership, not only replacing the FO (obvious), we need to do this. Just blow up the team. 

Trade these talented guys and let's stop holding onto them thinking we are just a couple of pieces away from being a contender. That's what got us convinced to give up the farm for Alex Smith. 

Get as many draft picks as we can, suck for a year, and then in 2020 draft we will have a high end pick to grab a franchise QB. 

Hopefully, we have a competent FO that can make those calls by then. 

That said, with Snyder, none of the above is likely to happen.

I would probably clear out the front office and leave Jay in place for one more year, knowing that I'm going to ****-can him next year. I'm married to Alex Smith for at least one more season and possibly two. I'm not going to bring in a new coach and tie him to that sinking ship.

I think the only thing you can do is bring in a new front office with the understanding that they have one year of free reign to evaluate everything down to the parking attendants. And they that will eventually be able to choose a new coach.

I think you use this off-season to figure out what you can do to get rid of dead weight, etc. But in all honesty, outside of Smith, there isn't a ton of huge contracts on mediocre guys on this roster. Trent Williams may not be what he once was, but he's not stealing like a Haynesworth or an Archuleta. Every team is going to have high contract guys in some level of decline.

The Skins are weird in that the roster is somewhat devoid of talent, but we're not horribly misconstructed either.

1 minute ago, Bunny Kelly said:

Given our cap situation with Smith with this isn't a desirable job so sack Allen, promote Kyle Smith, hold onto Jay for one more season & after going 3-13 we have a chance at a top QB, more cap flexibilty & possibly a decent head coach

I basically agree with this, but I don't know how you sell that to Jay specifically or the public at large.

Jay is under contract so he has to suck it up

Public are delighted Bruce is gone, new GM has plenty of picks to work with to inject young talent for next 4/5years, possible throw in a 3rd round QB that we can have a look at or discard easy if a mess 12months later 

Kyle Smith = GM

Doug Williams = President

Find HC, let HC fill coaching staff.

Word is Kyle Smith knows his stuff. By word, I mean Cooley. I think Kyle Smith may be poached if we dont promote him to a protected position. I like Doug but will Snyder like Doug in that spot? Thats usually reserved for a Snyder minion henchman. Someone Snyder can trust to report directly to him above everyone else, someone who he can golf with and basically be Snyder's eyes and ears. Im on the outside looking in but I dont think Snyder will trust Doug to be as loyal and covert as Snyder demands.

Do something with these 2019 cap hits:

14.5    Norman

13.9     Kerrigan

12.5    Scherff (5th yr option, pretty sure its fully guaranteed)

8.7      Zach Brown

6.3      Vernon Davis

4.8     McGee

Scherff is the only real debate imo. If he wont sign a reasonable LTD, then I guess we keep him for 2019 then let him walk. No way we can pay him like a top 10 G. Unless he takes a discount, guards just arent worth over 10M imo. Drafting a guard with a top 10 pick has proven to be wasteful imo. You dont get that rookie contract benefit bc they basically make top G money right away.

Jordan reed is set to count 9.7 against 2019 cap with a 3.6 dead money hit if released. Id just keep him or trade him for a 3rd.

edit - Ozzie Newsome is leaving the Ravens ...perhaps he can work in tandem with Kyle Smith?I know we need to protect Kyle Smith from poaching.

Assuming Snyder doesnt sell (which would be my first dream).

Accept that we will be the worst team in the league for the next 2 years.

Then

Fire everyone.  Literally everyone in the FO.  Not a single sole remains.

Hire a true Team President to handle all aspects of the team outside of football operations.

Hire a true GM to handle all football related operations.

That GM then hires a director of scouting.  A director of training.  A director of contracts (call them whatever you want)

Then develop a 5 and 10 year plan.

THEN hire a coach.  Young.  Offensive minded.  Let that guy hire an old grisled defensive coord.  Those guys then hire down staff

Trade anyone that any other team wants for literally any draft pick in 2019, 2020 and 2021.  The only folks I would keep are any 1st or 2nd year player unless we could get  a 1st and something else for them and Scherff and Dunbar.

Cut everyone who cant be traded and who makes more than the league average at their position.  Kerrigan, Norman, Trent, every WR, etc etc.

Draft Olineman and DBs in the 2019 draft.  Every round in 2019.  Trade down as often as possible to load up in 202 and 2021

Lose enough games in 2019 to get the first pick in 2020.  Take the best QB.  Fill in with picks in 2020 draft and 2021.

We have a chance at winning again in 2021.  Not before.  Accept it now.

10 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Assuming Snyder doesnt sell (which would be my first dream).

Accept that we will be the worst team in the league for the next 2 years.

Then

Fire everyone.  Literally everyone in the FO.  Not a single sole remains.

Hire a true Team President to handle all aspects of the team outside of football operations.

Hire a true GM to handle all football related operations.

That GM then hires a director of scouting.  A director of training.  A director of contracts (call them whatever you want)

Then develop a 5 and 10 year plan.

THEN hire a coach.  Young.  Offensive minded.  Let that guy hire an old grisled defensive coord.  Those guys then hire down staff

Trade anyone that any other team wants for literally any draft pick in 2019, 2020 and 2021.  The only folks I would keep are any 1st or 2nd year player unless we could get  a 1st and something else for them and Scherff and Dunbar.

Cut everyone who cant be traded and who makes more than the league average at their position.  Kerrigan, Norman, Trent, every WR, etc etc.

Draft Olineman and DBs in the 2019 draft.  Every round in 2019.  Trade down as often as possible to load up in 202 and 2021

Lose enough games in 2019 to get the first pick in 2020.  Take the best QB.  Fill in with picks in 2020 draft and 2021.

We have a chance at winning again in 2021.  Not before.  Accept it now.

Agree with most of this in principle, but would instead do pure BPA in 2019 since we would have basically jettisoned most of our talent in the steps before.

Otherwise, I'm on board. 

If only we could force Dan Snyder to sell.

Just now, Newera said:

Who is drafting players for Dallas.  Whoever it is -- he is doing a good job.

Believe it or not, I think it's Jerry Jones' son.

1.  Fire Bruce Allen.  Promote Doug to Allen's current position of leader of parades and pants.  

2.  Promote Eric Schaeffer to GM and Kyle Smith to Director of Pro Personnel, or vault Smith to GM and give Schaeffer team President.  

3.  Let Doug, Eric, and Kyle sort out the coaching staff.

Any combination of Lafemina, Schaeffer, and Smith is ok with me. 

Just now, OVCChairman said:

1.  Fire Bruce Allen.  Promote Doug to Allen's current position of leader of parades and pants. 

2.  Promote Eric Schaeffer to GM and Kyle Smith to Director of Pro Personnel.  

Is there a possibility we could see this happen.. this would make me happy.

I dont think BPA is the way to go to start a team.  The 3 areas that are hardest to completely fix are Dline, Oline and DBs.  (Yes QB is the hardest, but it's just 1 person).  We have the Dline.  Focus on the Oline and DBs.  That way a rookie QB in 2020 can come in with a solid line so he doesnt get killed, and a Dline and DBs that will help have a legit D to go with it.

The NFL is now a rookie QB league.  Teams win while the arent paying QBs real money, so they can pay everyone else.  The Seahawks showed the way.  Now we see the Chiefs, Rams, Bears, Eagles, Cowboys, Texans following the lead.  Even the Patriots play that way because Brady takes about half what any other QB in his realm would take.

6 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

2.  Promote Eric Schaeffer to GM and Kyle Smith to Director of Pro Personnel.  

This should been done yesterday after the game.

I'm not ready to commit until end of the year, I at least need to know Alex status. Are yall sure you are fine with intentionally losing for the next year or two?  This is a very volatile time in this franchises history, jus look at the lack of people in FedEx now. 

I dont want to hear a peep when we start getting blown out next year in front of an empty stadium in the spirit of a rebuild. 

58 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

It’s time for a full rebuild.  Front office, coaching staff, aging stars...all of it.

Tank 2019 and look to draft a franchise QB in 2020.  That should be the start of a 4-5 year plan for playoff relevance.*

*Could also be the start of a Browns/Lions-style run of futility.

Ya man, might be time. Unbelievable, two season ending injuries to QBs. This in a day when QBs don’t get hurt. Yuck. 

Last year the team was given a mulligan due to injuries, but this year it’s been more severe

Like Kilmer's suggestion. We need to completely clean house. The culture is toxic. Everyone who is a part of it needs to be eradicated.

And then Dan needs to hire an outside search committee -- the NFL can provide one -- to look for a GM. 

Right now, the Skins coaching job is the least attractive in the league. 

Literally no coach has succeeded under Snyder. Gruden probably did the best. Bonkers.

The QB situation is the worst in the league. We won't even get the benefit of a cheap rookie QB contract because Smith's contract will be eating up so much of the cap.

It's just a disaster.

Snyder's destruction of this franchise is astounding. He has failed in every single way.

4 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

I would support a team that was 0-16 if I knew there was a longterm plan in place and things were happening to get there.

I refuse to support another 6-10 team with aging veterans making millions to suck week after week.

I feel you.  In theory,  I get it, but I've never an 0-16 team with a plan that worked.

Obviously you start with firing Allen. I have no idea who should take his place, so I'm going to run through what I would do if I were in the various roles of the team. I'd hope to hire someone with the same vision. Let that guy hire the next head coach: a bright young mind who has creativity, outside the box thinking, and football instinct. I don't care if they're an offensive or defensive guy. Nobody over the age of 50. We need someone who can grow with the team.

I'd get rid of everyone that wasn't under a rookie contract, with some exceptions. Rookie contracts are extremely valuable. They're four years long(and you get a fifth year team option for 1st round picks). Building through the draft with rookie contracts is still far and away the most efficient way to build a contender. Trade who you can for whatever draft picks you can get.

The only non rookie contracts I'd keep are:

Alex Smith-only because we have to or it cripples our cap if we cut him. I'll address the Smith situation more later.

Chris Thompson-His deal is still pretty cheap for a backup/3rd down RB.

Quinton Dunbar-Assuming his nerve injury isn't career threatening, he's on a cheap deal and is at worst a decent #2/#3 CB.

DJ Swearinger-He's still a solid starting Safety.

I looked it up and just about every other expensive vet can be cut and save us cap money(either right away or after June). If not this year then in 2020, which is also acceptable. Anyone who's a FA after this year can be let go.

EVERY other roster spot should be filled with a rookie(draft pick or UDFA) OR a vet on veteran's minimum. Yes, that means we'll suck. But my motto is: I'd rather bottom out at 2-14 then be mediocre at 7-9. Let the young guys fight it out and see who shows up as a potential building block. Ideally the coach we hire is a young guy who we can keep through the growing pains. Basically, the 49ers model with Kyle Shanahan or what the Celtics did with Brad Stevens in the NBA a few years ago. The cap floor shouldn't be an issue because of the Smith contract.

Now, back to the Smith deal. I looked it up and we can't feasibly cut him till after 2020 or the dead cap hit would be too large. Because of this, I wouldn't draft a rookie QB till the 2020 draft. The QB corps in 2019 sucks and we're committing to sucking next year anyway. Lets keep stockpiling the rest of the team. In 2020 we go out and get our QB of the future, with Smith still on the team for one more year to serve as a mentor of sorts(highly doubt he retires, even if he does we're still on the hook for his money).

In 2021 we'll have a QB in his second year and a team that's young with some talent. We'll also have immense cap flexibility. That is the target year to push for contention.

Archived