Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuben Foster vs the Flag

joeken24

2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Well, it's pretty obvious.  Sure, Skins fans all over.  On any given Sunday, do you think the majority of asses in the stands live in A) the DC Metro area or B ) Southern VA and into the Carolinas, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, etc?  I'd guess the vast majority are local, but yea, I don't have any data on that.  

I guess my point is I don't think the DC metro area political map is an accurate gauge of the football team's fans. This is a very transient area. A lot of people aren't even from the DC area or have family from here. 

On top of that, the football team is the south's football team. It's been that way since TV started broadcasting NFL games.

I am not sure signing Ruben Foster over Kaepernick is a big risk at all, from a political perspective. And the NFL seems to care more about their right-leaning fans than others.

57 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I guess my point is I don't think the DC metro area political map is an accurate gauge of the football team's fans. This is a very transient area. A lot of people aren't even from the DC area or have family from here. 

I think it's a pretty good proxy.  If 75% of the fans that live near enough to the stadium to go on a regular basis are of a particular political bent, that tells you a lot about your fan base's demographics and values.  Also, I think the transience argument is not very good because, although DC is about as transient as many of the other major metropolitan areas, while different individual people come and go a lot, the type of people that come and go are the same.  That is, highly educated professionals involved in the industries that DC has a lot of (politics, law, media, technology, education, etc).  In other words, plumbers aren't flocking to DC in droves.  But lawyers are.  Those types of people are the kind of people that would have more of a problem with the football team callously disregarding domestic abuse charges.  

On top of that, the football team is the south's football team. It's been that way since TV started broadcasting NFL games.

I just don't think that is true, and hasn't been for a long time.  

https://deadspin.com/heres-facebooks-2014-nfl-fandom-map-1631006587

I am not sure signing Ruben Foster over Kaepernick is a big risk at all, from a political perspective. And the NFL seems to care more about their right-leaning fans than others.

It's not a political risk, it's just one more brick in the wall for people cutting ties with the Skins.  They are really hard to root for if you put any thought into it at all.  Agree the NFL def cares more about their right-leaning fans, I can't stand the sound of Denis Leary's ****ing voice anymore because I'm so tired of truck commercials.  

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I think it's a pretty good proxy.  Also, I think the transience argument is not very good because, although DC is about as transient as many of the other major metropolitan areas, while different individual people come and go a lot, the type of people that come and go are the same.  That is, highly educated professionals involved in the industries that DC has a lot of (politics, law, media, technology, education, etc).  In other words, plumbers aren't flocking to DC in droves.  But lawyers are.  Those types of people are the kind of people that would have more of a problem with the football team callously disregarding domestic abuse charges.  

They wouldn't be fans of the team.

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I just don't think that is true, and hasn't been for a long time.  

https://deadspin.com/heres-facebooks-2014-nfl-fandom-map-1631006587

Fair!

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

It's not a political risk, it's just one more brick in the wall for people cutting ties with the Skins.  They are really hard to root for if you put any thought into it at all.  Agree the NFL def cares more about their right-leaning fans, I can't stand the sound of Denis Leary's ****ing voice anymore because I'm so tired of truck commercials. 

yeah man, definitely. I don't really watch the NFL anymore because of this. 

6 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

Good lord.   apples and Porsches.

I think the Foster "outrage" is overblown.  The Skins are smart in this case.  If the allegations are true, they cut bait with no affect.  If they arent true, they get a steal of a deal at a position of need.

That said, Snyder and Allen are still total dickbags.

But he still can't play (according to the fo) until all of his "issues" are dealt with, I heard it won't be this season.

Even the radio guys here in ATL are like "WTF"?

3 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Oh, and @PleaseBlitz...that's not really Denis Leary...just sounds a lot like him. Too young. 

There's a guy who's a slam dunk for Sam Elliott too, but not quite. 

...I say all of this with a trained ear, but I reserve the right to be wrong. 

@TryTheBeal!, what are you hearing? Unless they're speeding up to raise tone/timbre?

Might wanna retrain that ear. 😘

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/01/top-six-spokesmen-for-full-size-trucks.html

t’s funny, the spokesman least likely to know anything about trucks is probably the voice behind the most effective truck commercials we’ve seen lately. While Denis may know his way around a firetruck, we doubt he has a strong opinion on electronic versus manual-shift transfer cases. Yet, this smash-mouth comedian’s highly recognizable timbre and trademark hyper delivery fits perfectly with Ford’s rapid-fire storytelling images that basically carpet-bomb the viewer’s senses with the simple but hard-hitting feature-function-benefit message. These ads are so potent that they’ve spurred parodies, and Denis’ contributions have been mocked as well. Despite the popularity of the ads and Denis’ biting commentaries on life, we’re guessing this chain-smoker wouldn’t last two cigarettes into a hardcore truck discussion about the regen cycles of particulate filters.

9 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

He's put his money where his mouth is, he's raised a lot for causes that he believes in.  There's a lot of value there.  

Foster is a douche.

He has given $1M to causes he believes in. One that I'll leave up to you 

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/colin-kaepernick-assata-shakur/

But no, we didn't go with Kaep as our backup because then it would screw up his case against the NFL 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/30/sports/colin-kaepernick-collusion-case-nfl.html

9 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Well, it's pretty obvious.  Sure, Skins fans all over.  On any given Sunday, do you think the majority of asses in the stands live in A) the DC Metro area or B ) Southern VA and into the Carolinas, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, etc?  I'd guess the vast majority are local, but yea, I don't have any data on that.  

Its been said by members of the redskins management that the majority of season ticket holders reside in northern va. 

Its part of why why there was such strong opinion behind Loudoun being the area for a new stadium

found this

that, I view this as a Virginia team. I know they're in Maryland right now but if you look at the majority of season ticket holders--all Virginians. All the players live in Virginia.... We obviously don't have the stadium but it's a big deal for us. It's a huge economic impact having the training facility and practice area here," McAuliffe explained.

Most Redskins fans live in Virginia, according to McAuliffe, saying that Redskins team president Bruce Allen told him the previous night that well into the high sixty percent of the Redskins income comes from Virginia residents.

https://patch.com/virginia/ashburn/virginia-serious-negotiations-redskins-stadium-location

Tom Boswell's first paragraph in his column today concisely summarizes what I've been saying in this thread.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/daniel-snyders-biggest-problem-with-redskins-fans-is-his-failure-to-understand-them/2018/11/29/41f5197c-f413-11e8-80d0-f7e1948d55f4_story.html?utm_term=.cfc7bc17e634

One by one, Daniel Snyder creeps into the heads, the water-cooler conversations and the kitchen table chats of his Washington NFL fans and forces them to abandon their love of his team because they find him so consistently and unendingly at odds with their core values.

More

Snyder’s own world view is irrelevant. But as a businessman, he ought to know the values and mores of his potential customers. This is an extremely progressive part of the country, where one could expect significant reservations about sticking so steadfastly to the team nickname, or giving the ball to a running back who has faced child abuse charges, or signing a linebacker just days after he’s been accused of hitting a woman. Maybe you could get away with some, or all, of those things in a different market. Here, any one of them could give fans pause. And one too many misgivings can lead to contempt.

This is an extremely progressive part of the country, where one could expect significant reservations about sticking so steadfastly to the team nickname, or giving the ball to a running back who has faced child abuse charges, or signing a linebacker just days after he’s been accused of hitting a woman. Maybe you could get away with some, or all, of those things in a different market. Here, any one of them could give fans pause. And one too many misgivings can lead to contempt.

Here is my issue with the above statement by Boswell...

The fan base seems schizophrenic when it comes to the issues. I pointed this out earlier in the week re: Foster. No one said a single word about Peterson when he was signed (outside of mocking the move because they thought he might be washed up). Also, the VAST MAJORITY of Redskin fans defend the team nickname as well. 

It's not that what Boswell says doesn't have merit, but there is no consistency on how Snyder is judged. I suppose owning a NFL team isn't meant to be easy, but it seems nearly impossible to read the crowd in this area, especially when it comes to the team. The same fan who cheers for Peterson and pleads with Gruden not to abandon the run while wearing his REDSKINS jersey is appalled by the Foster waiver claim. 

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

There's a pretty simple explanation for it @TD_washingtonredskins: Peterson is a HoFer having a really nice year and helping us win.  Foster hasn't done anything for us yet.

I agree...that's exactly the reason. But that doesn't support the criticism of Snyder...it simply illustrates that if a decision works out, it'll be accepted. If next year Foster is 1) able to play and 2) a Pro Bowl player the organization will be forgiven for this waiver claim. And, to be clear, I don't think he even needs to be cleared of any charges...just serve whatever punishment is levied and reinstated. 

People love to yell and scream, but in the end 99% of us are just here to see exciting and winning football. Sadly (and I'm included in this), we'll watch bad dudes play well if it leads to Ws. 

10 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

There's a pretty simple explanation for it @TD_washingtonredskins: Peterson is a HoFer having a really nice year and helping us win.  Foster hasn't done anything for us yet.

I think it's a cumulative effect.  Okay, the Skins took a chance to bring in Peterson, who has been a model citizen outside of the switch thing (which is a serious deal IMO).*  Doing that kind of thing once in awhile is fine.  Doing that, THEN bringing in a kid who has been nothing but trouble with basically no due diligence, that makes it a very troubling trend.  That's the difference between "we carefully weighed the risks and thought, in this case, it was an okay move" versus "we do not give a ****."  

Especially when your not giving a **** is pretty obvious when you do it a few months after pimping out your cheerleaders. 

*To clarify my position here, generally I think that parents should be given a HUGE amount of latitude when it comes to the manner in which they raise their kids, but using any kind of implement to hit your kid is across the line into child abuse, IMO, even if it happened to him when he was a kid.  Like, AP, a genetic freak of muscles, needs a switch?  

9 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I agree...that's exactly the reason. But that doesn't support the criticism of Snyder...it simply illustrates that if a decision works out, it'll be accepted. If next year Foster is 1) able to play and 2) a Pro Bowl player the organization will be forgiven for this waiver claim. And, to be clear, I don't think he even needs to be cleared of any charges...just serve whatever punishment is levied and reinstated. 

People love to yell and scream, but in the end 99% of us are just here to see exciting and winning football. Sadly (and I'm included in this), we'll watch bad dudes play well if it leads to Ws. 

Count me in the 1% (and i think it's probably more than 1%, but yea, probably not much more).  

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Count me in the 1% (and i think it's probably more than 1%, but yea, probably not much more).  

Well, good for you (and I mean that). If this current front office started ripping off 12- and 13-win seasons, I'd continue tolerating how douchey Allen is, how dorky Snyder is, and how they constantly seem to say and do the wrong things at the wrong times. 

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Well, good for you (and I mean that). If this current front office started ripping off 12- and 13-win seasons, I'd continue tolerating how douchey Allen is, how dorky Snyder is, and how they constantly seem to say and do the wrong things at the wrong times. 

I think the bolded part will forever prevent the underlined part.  And i've been right about that for 20 years running. 

The Boswell piece covers almost entirely why I’ve watched I think 8-10 quarters of Redskins football live in the past several years. 

Snyder wore me out. To a larger degree, the NFL did too. If I tune in, it’s 99% because I’m still doing a fantasy football league with high school friends. It’s one of the few ways we all stay in touch.

At some point, this team will have to rebrand itself. For one, I would be very surprised if they are still called the Redskins by 2030. A new stadium would help. In some ways, Snyder may actually have a chance to pull this off because a new fan-base won’t have 20+ years of buffoonery to sour their opinion of him. 

5 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Maybe he understands and just doesn't give a ****.  

Archived