Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuben Foster vs the Flag

joeken24

I just watched an interesting dialogue on First Things First. The point of the conversation was about how child endangerment, domestic violence, and violence against women in general is tolerated in the NFL. Nick Wright made what I believe to be a valid point. That is, the NFL will tolerate everything accept kneeling during the national anthem. I never considered this, but he's right!

Another point they made was that the Redskins went out and got Mark Sanchez instead of the QB that backed up Alex during their SB run (Kaepernick). IMO, Kaepernick is a far better QB than Sanchez. Whatever your opinion is on their play on the field or whether it had more to do with Sanchez's relationship with the coaches, Kap never did anything off the field that would cause him to be out to the league. He was blackballed by the same league that accepts drugs, killing dogs, beating women, murder, insider trading and sexual assault (to name a few). The only reason Ray Rice was kicked out of the league was because the video went viral.

So while I stand by my opinion about Reuben getting a fair investigation (solely because of the history of the women involved and that no one should be fired for an accusations), it does speak to the NFL owners (including Snyder) tolerance choices. It is disturbing that the flag is more important than breaking the law.

IMO, if Reuben is guilty, I would deduce that he is a product of an environment that tolerates bad behavior from college level up to the pros? I am by no means justifying his actions (if he did it). But I would assume the NFL doesn't really care unless someone finds out about it. And even if the public finds out about it, if the player is a made man, the NFL has enough PR to muffle the noise sort a speak. I remember Big Ben got suspended for 6 games for sexual assault (twice I might add) and later got that suspension reduced to 4. The story quickly faded as the Steelers went on to play in the Super Bowl that year.

So maybe it really is about protecting the shield. And the shield obviously cares about one thing....profit. And profit comes from wealthy NFL endorsers that don't care about crime or anyone that commits it. They care about the flag (obviously) and they care about money. That's it!

So Reuben Foster will be in the league at some point regardless of the outcome. So to those of you looking to pick up your pitchforks and torches to go after Reuben Foster, you may want to take a detour at 345 Park Avenue. Ask the commish why kneeling is the only thing this league will not tolerate?

BTW, here's a look at the arrest record for NFL players. Take a look at the outcomes.

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/arrests/

So the question for you is, do you prefer criminals on the football field or free speech exercised in every walk of life?

4. Please post your message in the appropriate forum.
Familiarize yourself with each forum description. Please be considerate and respectful to our visitors who frequent particular forums to gain knowledge on particular topics. Resist the temptation to post irrelevant topics in an inappropriate forum to achieve a wider audience. Moderators may move your post if it's more relevant to another forum or administer a penalty.

@joeken24

No politics in The Stadium. Moved to the Tailgate. 

I was hoping this topic was going to end up in the tailgate at some point. Even if we could talk about it in the stadium, you are going to get alot of hurt feelings and rage posts because the truth of it is - it's not the NFLs tolerance that's the problem. It's the consumer's. Look at who that group of people largely is, and it all becomes readily apparent what is going on and why it keeps happening. The NFL is going to see the product that their base want to get. Period. 

The flag thing is a perfect example but there are many many more. 

In order to avoid being the one to make this ultra contentious, I'll stop there. For now. 

Even for people who are vehemently against Kaepernick, would anyone really view his actions as worse than a crime?  I suspect (without any real basis) that the old farts running the NFL are just pissed that Kaep got them into (in their view) the whole controversy.  I don't know how much controversy there would be if he got signed, got on the field, and helped win football games.  Anyone in NC care about Eric Reid?

7 hours ago, joeken24 said:

I just watched an interesting dialogue on First Things First. The point of the conversation was about how child endangerment, domestic violence, and violence against women in general is tolerated in the NFL. Nick Wright made what I believe to be a valid point. That is, the NFL will tolerate everything accept kneeling during the national anthem.

And "violating the spirit of the salary cap" (in a year where their written contract specifically states that there isn't one.)  

8 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Even for people who are vehemently against Kaepernick, would anyone really view his actions as worse than a crime?

Depends on the crime. 

The people I know that care about the kneeling are intensely passionate about it. Much like the people that are for the kneeling because they think what the kneeling is about matters greatly. 

Also, in general to the OP, yes all the NFL cares about is protecting their brand (whatever they think that means at any given time) and their money.

The answer to all of your questions is: money. 

58 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I don’t really see any parallels between the careers of Reuben Foster and Colin Kaepernick.  

But that won't stop people from trying to create the parallel between anytime anyone in the NFL does something bad vs. Kap and who's worse.

Kap put it all on the line, sacrificed his career for what he believed in.  Felt the need to make a stand and he did it.  IMO, he should be in the league as a starting QB or at least 2nd string.  I'm not sure how good of a QB he actually is, he certainly had ups but he also had downs.  He's put his money where his mouth is, he's raised a lot for causes that he believes in.  There's a lot of value there.  

Foster is a douche.

10 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

But that won't stop people from trying to create the parallel between anytime anyone in the NFL does something bad vs. Kap and who's worse.

Kap put it all on the line, sacrificed his career for what he believed in.  Felt the need to make a stand and he did it.  IMO, he should be in the league as a starting QB or at least 2nd string.  I'm not sure how good of a QB he actually is, he certainly had ups but he also had downs.  He's put his money where his mouth is, he's raised a lot for causes that he believes in.  There's a lot of value there.  

Foster is a douche.

Thank you, Spiff.  Seriously, Kaep deserves better than this.

Because the NFL is about money.

The kneeling during the national anthem was costing them money and they weren't going to allow that. 

The domestic violence incidents may have people upset but the NFL has obviously done studies that show it's not costing ratings or money.

If the day comes where it does you'll see the abusers getting blackballed too.

13 minutes ago, redskinss said:

The domestic violence incidents may have people upset but the NFL has obviously done studies that show it's not costing ratings or money.

It threatens their ability to tap into female fans. That’s where growth is for them. They’ve made a very deliberate plan to target that demo going back years now. 

That said theyre simply not interered in losing their existing consumers. Keeping the existing male base trumps taping into a new female base. 

Additionally the domestic violence thing seems to be an initial reaction and then nothing. Once you move away from it the public loses interest, we’re on to another thing to be mad about somewhere else. The one exception that’s I can think of is Rice and that’s because months after the initial reaction the tape came out and sparked the whole thing again (Rice was back at camp, the public had forgotten, and the ravens fans were cheering and defending him) 

The kneeling thing was an every day conversation, even in the off-season. 

If the public had an appetite for consuming talking heads ranting about nfl players with domestic violence in their history being allowed in the league, that’s what cable news and sports shows would talk about, and that would become the #1 think the nfl tries to get rid of. 

Until we stop consuming the product unless they change their tune on the issue, they’re not going to change their tune 

I agree with everyone that has said the NFL is about money, that is undoubtedly true.  The reason that this is such a dumb move by Snyder is that his fan base, the people he needs to buy seats at his garbage facility in Landover that is always half empty, are largely the people that support Kap's right to do what he did and largely have big time reservations about immediately signing a person that has been repeatedly accused of beating a woman.  In other words, generally speaking, the people that can afford to buy tickets to a Skins game are highly educated folks who skew liberal.  This, of course, comes on the heels of the franchise pimping out cheerleaders to season ticket holders (six month ago) and the team having basically no good will with the fans (and the most empty seats in the league).  Snyder just lives in his own world.  

5 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Snyder just lives in his own world.  

I think it’s important to note this may have been entirely an Allen move. 

Not because im interested in defending or supporting snyder, **** that guy

only because I don’t want Allen getting away with also being a terrible person. 

Just now, tshile said:

I think it’s important to note this may have been entirely an Allen move. 

Not because im interested in defending or supporting snyder, **** that guy

only because I don’t want Allen getting away with also being a terrible person. 

Allen is a yes-man that does Snyder's bidding. 

#MeToo never really hit the NFL like it did with the entertainment industry, which is kind of interesting because the Reuben Foster’s and Ben Roethlisbergr’s get a lot more public exposure than people like Harvey Weinstein and Les Moonves. 

Between a very relaxed stance against abhorrent behavior and the CTE/concussion issues, I’m not sure what the future of pro football really is. 

Just now, tshile said:

I honestly think he’s worse than that but since I don’t have proof I’m willing to volunteer or find on the internet, I’ll just leave that as it is. ;) 

Inn no way am I saying Allen isn't a ****ty person.  I think being a henchman for a terrible person makes Allen an equally awful person.  

12 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

The people I know who care about the kneeling didn't give a **** for the year+ that it was going on before Trump said something but immediately became intensely passionate about it afterwards.

That is not my experience whatsoever. Not saying you’re wrong, just saying what I’ve seen. 

Every one of them was in the military and was deployed at least once.  

I also know people (in or retired from the military) who that are not bothered by it, they see it as a right to peacefully protest that they willingly put their lives on the line to protect (even though a subset of that group doesn’t see the issue the way the protesters see it)

Archived