Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018-19 NCAA Basketball Thread

PleaseBlitz

I don’t watch college ball and have no interest in either of these teams... but man, UVA certainly delivered on the entertainment factor.  Nail biters and big memorable shots.  Fun tournament.  Congrats to UVA!  

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

They are absolutely going to make a 30 for 30 about this UVA team.

From UMBC to this in a year? That’s like instant 30 for 30 material.

I’ll also point out that for all of UVA’s tournament struggles the past few years, capped off by the UMBC debacle, that for them to win it all this year speaks volumes about Tony Bennett. What an incredible leader. 

5 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

From UMBC to this in a year? That’s like instant 30 for 30 material.

I’ll also point out that for all of UVA’s tournament struggles the past few years, capped off by the UMBC debacle, that for them to win it all this year speaks volumes about Tony Bennett. What an incredible leader. 

We just watched the 30 for 30 in real time 

12 minutes ago, Destino said:

Culver had a horrible shooting night with a few highlights thrown in.  He shot 5-22 (which is really damn bad)

Hunter had a lot to do with Culver's struggles.  He was trying to bully Hunter to the rim and he just couldn't get through or by him and Hunter alters release points with those extremely long arms.  Culver was able to score on the other guys he was matched up on.

But I also thinking coaching played a factor.  UVA's defense is extremely aggressive on the perimeter and, it was just way too easy for them to key on Culver.  They were doing alright when that Freshman was making big shots and offering a secondary option.  But in crunch time they just tried to force everything through Culver and they got easy to defend.

Hunter is the kind of wing that Culver will face at the next level.  I think it's clear he's going to have to get stronger and more explosive in order to be a good scorer at the next level.  But he's got the frame to do it.

1 minute ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Texas Tech was giving up 57 points a game.

UVA laid 85 on em.  

This game was very different than people expected in terms of style.  Both teams opened it up and ran the break, and I think it's because both of them knew they couldn't score on each other's half court defense.

I think that UVA was more comfortable playing up tempo, and that it's largely because Jerome and Guy are better than Mooney and that Italian kid.

But the flow of the game also changed quite a bit due to Owens's injury and foul trouble.  He is a ferocious rim protector, but he looked diminished tonight.  When he hyper extended that ankle against Michigan State I thought for sure it was a high ankle sprain.  I'm surprised he was able to go at all tonight.

1 minute ago, mammajamma said:

UVA was good enough, but man they had to be the luckiest team ever in the last 3 games. so many bad calls, or poor last-second defensive choices.. congrats i guess, but i really don't think they were the best team in the field

Good thing they don’t play in a field and almost ever champion gets lucky at some point. Even the Caps. 

Just now, Hersh said:

Good thing they don’t play in a field and almost ever champion gets lucky at some point. Even the Caps. 

For sure, luck is a HUGE part of sports. But i just cant remember the last champion of any sport getting SO lucky over so many games leading up to their championship

4 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

For sure, luck is a HUGE part of sports. But i just cant remember the last champion of any sport getting SO lucky over so many games leading up to their championship

For Sure, but they also made HUGE plays that saved their season. They were super clutch and they took the best punches each team had and never folded. The games they played in were nuts. I can’t think of another team that had three insane games in a row to win it all.

15 minutes ago, Hersh said:

They did have some calls go their way but they made clutch plays when they had to,they deserved to win.

We just watched a Disney movie.... from the UMBC game. Just take the press conference from that game.... that loss didn't define this team. A team that even after humiliation, were redeemed when they went further then any other UVA team in history... regardless of the result tonight. None of the games were easy... life is not going to be easy... ut

What a 200th year birthday present for Mr Jeffersons U...

29 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

THat Chris Culver guy is really a lottery pick? He plays with no intensity and has really low bball IQ. He is a bigger talent than De'Andre Hunter at UVa, yet Hunter kicked his butt last night on both ends of the court.

Jarrett Culver. Both he and Hunter are projected lottery picks. 

2 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Jarrett Culver. Both he and Hunter are projected lottery picks. 

whatever his name is, he could get to the basket when he wanted yet opted for bad jumpers.

And I know both are projected as lottery picks. My point is Culver is more talented than Hunter yet showed zero fight yesterday along with low IQ play.

Culver was huge the entire tournament for TTU... I think it's unfair to judge him on one sample size. Last night Hunter outplayed him for most of the game, but for TTU inexplicably collapsing on Jerome (Culver was one of the two, right?) and Hunter draining the 3, it is Culver's drive, spin, and left that wins TTU the game.

TTU seemed to shoot better from 3 than from 2...

UVA winning displeases me but it is something I can cope with. They have been contending for some time and they finally got over the hump. So good for them I guess. I can respect that hustle. 3 straight nail biters, 2 of them won in the last seconds, respect. 

Archived