Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Safety Clinton Dix to the skins

KillBill26

14 minutes ago, EasternNCbywayofNOVA said:

Does anybody wear #20

I don’t know if it was a slip up but HaHa just said ”#20s going to be on that field”

Your username describes me too.

Hope you got through Florence without problems.

As for football topics and your question, he must be predicting a miraculous recovery for Rob Kelly this year 

Or not. :)

What's with the sentiment that he won't be here for more than these 8 games? I know the compensatory pick formula and all that, but it seems like a 25 year old former 1st round FS, if he plays well, should definitely be a target for us, and he seems to already have chemistry with DJ and hopefully with the Bama grads on the team as well. I think we have around 17m in cap room as of right now for next year, is there any reason we wouldn't try to extend him?

I love this trade!! I have a suspicion that a lot of these busted coverages may be on the shoulders of Montae.  From what I have seen of Dix ? he is rangy, and has a lot of length to his frame ?.  Cant wait to see him next to DJ (Flight Marshals)

As far as Stroman goes:  I think as a rookie you have to at least be up for the challenge.  I would let a rookie take a shot covering any reciever if they told me they wanted it.  If they are scared or shy away then thats all i need to know.  There is a good possibility that Stroman did a lot of growing up in that game.  Especially when he knocked that ball away from Sheppard, which was possibly another busted coverage by Montae.  I think Stroman will be a good player for us but Im Super excited to see Adonis Alexander.  

13 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

From what I heard yesterday, and take it with a grain of salt, Norman and some of the other dbs just kind of made the decision that he would travel.  There likely was some pressure from whoever, and ultimately I don't know who makes that call.  It could be Manusky, or it could be Gray, but at some point Gruden needs to question why that alignment went down that way.  

If that is the case, that is the most ****ed up **** I've heard in a long time. You have to plan that, not just go out and free lance that. I hope that isn't true.

I dont know why people keep saying you cant see what the FS is doing. Maybe at the snap, but that's it. Try not watching the ball and watching the FS. Watch plays develop and how guys respond. Its fascinating. I generally always watch the safeties, but lately I've been watching Payne. Anderson is really fun to watch too. Those guys are so ****ing sound.

Like Clinton Dix's obsession with Sean Taylor.  It seems to fly against the criticism from some GB writers that he doesn't play tough and tackle well.  Sean was all about attitude - toughness, etc.   Should be a fun watch.  Swearinger can play FS but he seems more of a natural SS.  So perfect to have a true FS.

My one wonder on this is if it takes awhile for the secondary to get on the same page as for coverages and assignments how would that be for someone who just joined the team today?  Hopefully he's a real quick study.

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I dont know why people keep saying you cant see what the FS is doing. Maybe at the snap, but that's it. Try not watching the ball and watching the FS. Watch plays develop and how guys respond. Its fascinating. I generally always watch the safeties, but lately I've been watching Payne. Anderson is really fun to watch too. Those guys are so ****ing sound.

Are you at the stadium?  On TV, a lot of plays the safeties are off the screen and I have no idea how they're rotating in coverage.

6 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

If that is the case, that is the most ****ed up **** I've heard in a long time. You have to plan that, not just go out and free lance that. I hope that isn't true.

Like I said.. it was something one of the reporters said on the radio... so I take it with a grain of salt that it could have just been speculation... It is interesting that we generally dont have Norman travel.   When prompted, the response is always "we want continuity on sides back there." (paraphrasing).  Then... it happened.  

Just now, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Are you at the stadium?  On TV, a lot of plays the safeties are off the screen and I have no idea how they're rotating in coverage.

Nope, I'm pretty damn far from the stadium. 

That's why I'm saying you cant always see them "at the snap" but you can see the play develop and find the safeties pretty quickly.

12 minutes ago, The Batman said:

What's with the sentiment that he won't be here for more than these 8 games? I know the compensatory pick formula and all that, but it seems like a 25 year old former 1st round FS, if he plays well, should definitely be a target for us, and he seems to already have chemistry with DJ and hopefully with the Bama grads on the team as well. I think we have around 17m in cap room as of right now for next year, is there any reason we wouldn't try to extend him?

17 million is not much.  These guys are 2019 FA's and don't count against that projected cap.

Key players are Jamison Crowder, Preston Smith, HaHa Clinton Dix, Adrian Peterson, and Shawn Lauvao

Backups are Ty Nsekhe, Pernell McPhee, Maurice Harris, Tony Bergstrom

If we re-sign Harris, Lauvao, McPhee, and Bergstrom for cheap, that'd leave us with just 12-13 million left.  Nsekhe is probably gone (that's why we drafted Geron Christian in the 3rd), but what about the others?

Next off-season is also when we should think about giving extensions to these stellar players before they hit FA in 2020: Brandon Scherff, Matt Ioannidis, and DJ Swearinger.  We probably want to work out a deal for at least one of these guys.  That deal would eat into the 17 million as well.

P.S.  If we had Kirk Cousins cap hit right now instead of Alex Smith's cap hit, we would not have had the cap room to make the trade for HaHa Clinton Dix.

12 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

17 million is not much.  These guys are 2019 FA's and don't count against that projected cap.

Key players are Jamison Crowder, Preston Smith, HaHa Clinton Dix, Adrian Peterson, and Shawn Lauvao

Backups are Ty Nsekhe, Pernell McPhee, Maurice Harris, Tony Bergstrom

If we re-sign Harris, Lauvao, McPhee, and Bergstrom for cheap, that'd leave us with just 12-13 million left.  Nsekhe is probably gone (that's why we drafted Geron Christian in the 3rd), but what about the others?

Next off-season is also when we should think about giving extensions to these stellar players before they hit FA in 2020: Brandon Scherff, Matt Ioannidis, and DJ Swearinger.  We probably want to work out a deal for at least one of these guys.  That deal would eat into the 17 million as well.

P.S.  If we had Kirk Cousins cap hit right now instead of Alex Smith's cap hit, we would not have had the cap room to make the trade for HaHa Clinton Dix.

If we end up wanting to move on from Norman, that number almost doubles.  

6 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Exactly. When they move on from Norman there will be plenty of space to afford the guys they want. I like Josh but unless he takes a massive pay cut he needs to go. Wrong side of 30 with only one INT the past two seasons

6 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Not quite, we'd gain some breathing room with an extra 8.5 million in cap space.  But then we'd also have a corner problem.

They will have around 10 draft picks to find a corner. That’s not really a problem. Besides Josh will be 32 next December, that’s too old to be counting on when his plays already been slipping

Besides that unless things drastically change all Haha was asking for is 8 million a year. That would put him 10th in salary for his position.

Would you rather pay the 31 year old corner who has the most expensive contract at his position or a 26 year old safety for half that amount? 

1 minute ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Not quite, we'd gain some breathing room with an extra 8.5 million in cap space.  But then we'd also have a corner problem.

Yeah youre right, I was thinking after next season we'd gain $12.5, but even so, $8.5 mil is a good chunk... not to mention, Norman wasn't playing well enough to be listed as even a number 2 until 2 weeks ago when he woke up against Carolina.  I still don't think he's a $15mil CB unless he plays absolutely lights out for the remainder of our season.  I also don't think anyone pays him $14.5 mil next year, so I'm sure him and his agent understand a re-negotiation is likely in order.  

4 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Besides that unless things drastically change all Haha was asking for is 8 million a year. That would put him 10th in salary for his position.

Would you rather pay the 31 year old corner who has the most expensive contract at his position or a 26 year old safety for half that amount? 

Oh, didn't realize HaHa's prospective contract numbers were talked about in the off-season.  I did read HaHa saying he and the Packers had already talked and he didn't expect a deal to happen.

And yeah, going with someone 5 years younger would be really tempting, that's a good point.  Now this is too early, but it's possible Nicholson continues to improve and seeing what the coaches are having HaHa do, Nicholson goes "Oh...I get it now".  We'd have Nicholson for 2 more years at dirt cheap, and he's even younger.

Who knows.  This off-season will be interesting, and I'm just really happy we have options that I like at safety.

25 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Further, if we cut Stacy McGee that number grows by 2.5m. Mason Foster would save us 2m. Scherff, according to the overthecap.com calculator, is owed 12.5m next year so extending him could save us some scratch (for comparison, Moses, who has been extended already, costs us 6.9m against the cap in 2019). Kerrigan signed a 5 year extension 3 years ago and may also be a candidate for a contract rework, costing us 10.5m against the cap next year. I feel like the numbers are workable, but I'd hate to see us develop some defensive cohesion and then let it slip away just for a half season. If HaHa is the player he can be based on potential across the back half of this season, I'd rather have him than Crowder or Smith or Lauvao, but that's just me.

Edit: We could also restructure and convert some of Alex Smith's bonus for next year which would free up 10m. Not sure if that's smart or even possible, but with Schaeffer in the booth I kind of feel like we can find the money we need. I guess my question is does anyone know if that's in the cards or not, i.e. are they going into this determined to let him walk or are they going to consider extending him?

53 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I hear you. I take responsibility for not watching individual players, especially guys further away from ball who are less likely to make plays. I’m one who prefers to just watch the ball the majority of the time, unless I’m rooting for an individual player to make a play on a specific down (usually Dline or Reed). I get it though, when watching basketball I pay attention to much more, as I grew up playing and coach now. 

Its hard for for me to decipher what coverages a player is in or their responsibilities for each play. Not being snarky, I don’t have that football acumen on game days. 

With that said, what’s your breakdown of Nicholson’s play to date this season? 

Just now, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Oh, didn't realize HaHa's prospective contract numbers were talked about in the off-season.  I did read HaHa saying he and the Packers had already talked and he didn't expect a deal to happen.

He was asking for top 10 safety money in the summer and would have signed a deal that was over 7.5 million this summer as that is the low end of top 10 players paid. The Packers declined that offer because of how thier front office operates. Every year they draft corners and safeties and when those guys first contracts are up they let them walk. It’s how they operate. They telegraphed him being on the trade block in early October so them moving him isn’t a surprise. As long as he doesn’t want Eric Berry money I think an extension makes the most sense here. 

1 hour ago, CTskin said:

Nicholson*

Man I wish I had the formula, but I don't. I didn't trust it until I started searching for players who I was sure played well or poorly and confirming that the pff rating was in line. An example, Swearinger is rated #1 Safety in football. Look at their post-game tweets, which are usually posted in some of these threads, about the best performing players.

Football ratings aren't a science, but PFF is by far the closest thing to it out there.

I got you. Ya, I’ve seen the ratings and response from PFF after not using DJs picture lol.

My football logic (which isn’t much) tells me an over the top safety who plays 15-25 yards off ball isn’t going to be in position to make plays as other guys are used differently. It appears he’s often the lone safety up top with responsibility to best job of playing sideline to sideline. Clinton doesn’t appear to have the speed to do this, curious to how it all plays out.

I foresee team having DJ, Clinton and Nicholson on field at same time. We’ll see. 

Archived