Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Improved Rush Defense...(Shoutout)

Renegade7

Do believe the turn around in run defense is for real???  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe turn around in run defense is for real??

• Yes
    • No
    • Too early

2 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Renegade, McCaffrey ran the ball four times on the first drive for 9, 8, 0 and 1 yards.

The next time he touched the ball on a run was when the Panthers were pinned back on their own 3 at the end of the first half, and gained 2 yards on 2 carries.

I have no idea why the Panthers completely abandoned the run today. Maybe they felt like they could beat the Skins more through the air, and Newton did have a very good day...…..except for his beach ball (WTF) that Norman snagged, and at the end of the game after getting to our 15. 

the Panthers only had like 22 plays on offense in the first half tdoay

8 minutes ago, carex said:

the Panthers only had like 22 plays on offense in the first half today

In the first half, between their first drive and the drive when they were deep at their own 3, the four drives in between featured 16 passes and three runs, all by Cam. I know its a passing league now, but that is a bit ridic. 

12 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

In the first half, between their first drive and the drive when they were deep at their own 3, the four drives in between featured 16 passes and three runs, all by Cam. I know its a passing league now, but that is a bit ridic. 

he also caught two passes.  That's over a third of their offense

25 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

How many times have we seen in recent years Tress Way pin someone inside the five only for the D to get immediately gashed with the run for easy first downs that somehow turned into 90+ yard scoring drives?

We pinned them and the D stuffed them. That deserves credit. Maybe it should be normal, but it's something a Haslett, Barry, or last year's defense couldn't do. It's okay to be happy when the Redskins do something well.

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

How many times have we seen in recent years Tress Way pin someone inside the five only for the D to get immediately gashed with the run for easy first downs that somehow turned into 90+ yard scoring drives?

We pinned them and the D stuffed them. That deserves credit. Maybe it should be normal, but it's something a Haslett, Barry, or last year's defense couldn't do. It's okay to be happy when the Redskins do something well.

Burg, no question the D did their job in that instance.

But again, look at the four Panthers drives prior. 16 passes and three Cam runs. The Redskins didn't stuff the run on those drives...….because the Panthers didn't run!!

14 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Burg, no question the D did their job in that instance.

But again, look at the four Panthers drives prior. 16 passes and three Cam runs. The Redskins didn't stuff the run on those drives...….because the Panthers didn't run!!

Panthers didn't run because the pass was more effective than running, doesn't that mean we played better run defense.  McCaffrey only avg around 5 ypc, but we hold him to 2.5ypc

18 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I know, right? You coming to the Dallass game?  Drinks are on me!

Yes, going to see if my dad can get that day off otherwise riding solo and looking at 400s on either side of the 50 yard line.  I'll shot you PM when we get closer to Sunday, :cheers:

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

The run D has definitely improved but I still see LBs and DBs whiffing consistently. The DL for the most part wins their matchups, if we improve on the back end we could be dominant.

Stopping the run takes 11 guys.  But your DL HAS to win or else the whole thing falls apart.

Now that the DL is playing better, the LBs and secondary have to clean up tackling.

I'll say this:  this Dallas game is probably the biggest test of this run defense we've seen all year.  I'd say the Carolina game shoulda proven enough, but apparently not.  We know exactly what Dallas is going to try to do to us.  If they can't, they're stuck pinning their hopes to Cole Beasley.  I can see this team talking about this repeatedly during the week, they know what time it is, they know what they need to do, there is no rocket science here for this game.  Either we stop the run or we don't, which will be the difference between winning and losing, better believe that.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

I'll say this:  this Dallas game is probably the biggest test of this run defense we've seen all year.  I'd say the Carolina game shoulda proven enough, but apparently not.  We know exactly what Dallas is going to try to do to us.  If they can't, they're stuck pinning their hopes to Cole Beasley.  I can see this team talking about this repeatedly during the week, they know what time it is, they know what they need to do, there is no rocket science here for this game.  Either we stop the run or we don't, which will be the difference between winning and losing, better believe that.

That's halfway there. If we can't run the football, it wont matter.

Basically it comes down to who runs the ball more effectively, and who is better at stopping the run. If we can do those things, we win. If we can't, we lose.

1 minute ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Sweet!!   I'm grilling flank steaks for this one!

Nioce.  You gonna be at Extremeskins tailgate?  I stopped by for the Colts game, gonna stop by again probably like hour before game starts (I'll likely be doing homework that morning, so can't spend whole day there)

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Nioce.  You gonna be at Extremeskins tailgate?  I stopped by for the Colts game, gonna stop by again probably like hour before game starts (I'll likely be doing homework that morning, so can't spend whole day there)

We're at every ES tailgate. I'm one of the cooks. We'll take care of you.

Unlike last week, when I thought Carolina abandoned the run far too early, Dallas tried to get it going all game, and the Skins bottled Zeke up fantastically.

My one quibble was when the couple times Zeke did get a nice 6-7 yard gain on first down in the second half, Garrett calls a pass on second and short.  Seems like so many of these coaches are pathological about passing these days...…..has to be 2nd and 1 before they'll keep it on the ground!

I'm late to the thread (again!) and voted Yes.  Shutting down Elliott the Ewok was probably the number one goal on defense this week and they got the job done admirably.  I thought that tackling as a whole was solid and they got enough pressure on Prescott to keep him uncomfortable in the pocket.

This young defensive line is growing more confident each week and is becoming the heart of the team.  There's been a lot of talk regarding the team's lack of identity, maybe the D-Line is finally stepping up to create one.

On 10/14/2018 at 5:38 PM, Morneblade said:

Well, we started the year giving up 4.5 yards per carry, which was 31st. The ONLY reason we were not last in yards is because for some reasons, teams where not running the ball much against us. It's gotten a little better since then, but once again, it's not like teams seem to be trying to run much against us. Because when they do, they have been for the most part, effective.

I watched the Cowboys struggle to run the ball all day yesterday.  Zeke had little room to run, most of the total rushing yards they accrued were from Dak at the end of the game. 

Shutting down two of the best teams in rushing back to back shows we have improved immensely.  However I do think we need to do a little better job with the running QBs.  Yes we stopped Zeke yesterday cold but Dak run all over us in the 4th quarter and it was really his legs that almost got them back.  So why didn't we adjust and have a spy on him or adjust the rush to contain him better.  This is what I want to see from the Redskins staff during the game, adjustments that are effective.

Archived