Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What happened to Chris Cooley?

goonsquad

I've listened to Sheehan's podcast shows.  He more or less implied that the new owners of 980 want to go with radio hosts on the cheap.  And since Sheehan and Cooley weren't playing ball with that it wasn't going to work.  He's trying to lock in Cooley to do the podcasts with him but implied that Cooley is also mulling other things. 

17 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've listened to Sheehan's podcast shows.  He more or less implied that the new owners of 980 want to go with radio hosts on the cheap.  And since Sheehan and Cooley weren't playing ball with that it wasn't going to work.  He's trying to lock in Cooley to do the podcasts with him but implied that Cooley is also mulling other things. 

Shame. Cooley was what brought me to 980 90% of the time. I live out of market nowawadays but still come to as many games as I can and like to listen to 980 during football season. At this point, I really have no reason to turn on 980.

54 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Interesting, and thanks... but this is a poor facsimile of his past film breakdowns. On 980 he could do a long form, independent breakdown where he could give grades to each player. He has always had a (seemingly) close relationship with the front office and players, yet you got the impression he didn't do a lot of sugar coating. A really interesting blend because he had/has the access to get the inside information, yet didn't let it skew his commentary. If a player played like a D+, Cooley scored him a D+. Dude needs to find something more worthy of his talents.

1 hour ago, goonsquad said:

Shame. Cooley was what brought me to 980 90% of the time. I live out of market nowawadays but still come to as many games as I can and like to listen to 980 during football season. At this point, I really have no reason to turn on 980.

Interesting, and thanks... but this is a poor facsimile of his past film breakdowns. On 980 he could do a long form, independent breakdown where he could give grades to each player. He has always had a (seemingly) close relationship with the front office and players, yet you got the impression he didn't do a lot of sugar coating. A really interesting blend because he had/has the access to get the inside information, yet didn't let it skew his commentary. If a player played like a D+, Cooley scored him a D+. Dude needs to find something more worthy of his talents.

First time I watched a breakdown and I did notice it was a bit short. It was only like 3 minutes. 

As an out of market Skins fan, Sheehan and Cooley were amazing! Tons of value lost as a fan not having those guys during week to talk Skins football. 

The film break downs were gold and appeared to be well received by most. Outside of Cooley not wanting to put the man hours to do them, it would seem a meeting of the minds can take place on some medium for him to make it happen. 

Season has started and that would seem unlikely though. Maybe next year ?

Im sure Sheehan is begging him, but no money to offer.

Yeah as an out of market 'Skins fan, I usually don't tune into 980 or 106.7 much during the offseason besides maybe draft time and if any huge signings are made where I know it will dominate the show the following day.  Sucks that 980 dropped Kevin/Cooley because Cooley's film breakdown was probably my most anticipated segment of radio every week.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Yes, why did Comcast let Chick go?  The Comcast weekly football shows really are bad and hard to watch.  JP Finley is ok but the other guys are bad but they probably are much cheaper salary wise than keeping Chick.

I think there was a problem with Chick's contract.  I believe his contract was up and they didn't renew it.

On 9/23/2018 at 10:28 PM, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

On the pregame show today Larry said there would be an announcement about Cooley’s future tomorrow.  Cooley said it’s not about coaching/playing football in any way.

Cooley at LG?  I presume its something about radio considering Sheehan said Cooley could do his podcast but there is a potential conflict that might be arising or something like that.

1.  Kevin Sheehan replied

I’m still waiting on the @thecooleyzone film breakdown @kevinsheehanDC please make this happen ??

I want it to happen, I'm still trying to make it happen, he wants it to happen.....not our call.

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Cooley at LG?  I presume its something about radio considering Sheehan said Cooley could do his podcast but there is a potential conflict that might be arising or something like that1h1 hou

I venture a guess it was what TK posted above.  It also popped up on my FB feed.  I was hoping for radio.  A live event on social media through the team, ugh.  I’d imagine his film breakdowns would go here but he would no doubt have to water them down in this format.

Archived