Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins vs Colts Prediction Thread: Will the Redskins "Luck" Out?

skins island connection

I'm a bit superstitious and I picked us to lay an egg in AZ due to the minimal reps in preseason.

So I'm staying the course, the team will take the Colts lightly, Luck will put up 300 yards and they will run the ball effectively because they are able to move the chains and keep our defense on the field.

13 minutes ago, Chachie said:

You mean like the lowly NY Giants last season? At home? For a potential playoff spot?  ?

?? We beat the Giants at home last year. The game we lost to them was meaningless in NY. 

If you are talking about two years ago, yes that was a bad day for Gruden and the Skins but the Giants were not “lowly”— they were a playoff team. Granted, one that didn’t have much on the line but they played all of their guys. 

Colts LT Anthony Castonzo (hamstring) was downgraded to DNP at Thursday's practice.

Castonzo had been hoping to return from a hamstring strain this week but he appears to have suffered a setback. Joe Haeg would draw another start on Andrew Luck's blind side if Castonzo can't go against the Redskins in Week 2.

Marlon Mack (hamstring) remained limited at Colts practice Thursday.

Mack has now been limited for an entire week. It remains wholly unclear if he will make his 2018 debut against the Redskins. If he does, he will be an uninspiring RB4 in a timeshare with Jordan Wilkins and Nyheim Hines.

Could be easier than we thought.

Every analyst on NFL Network's Gameday show picked us to lose against Arizona last week.  I want them to pick us to lose again this week.  Not only because I don't like them (especially Michael Irvin).  It becomes almost a superstitious thing.  I must admit I love proving Michael Irvin wrong every week, he's such a Cowboy homer, and he sucks at his job.

:)

8 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

Every analyst on NFL Network's Gameday show picked us to lose against Arizona last week.  I want them to pick us to lose again this week.  Not only because I don't like them (especially Michael Irvin).  It becomes almost a superstitious thing.  I must admit I love proving Michael Irvin wrong every week, he's such a Cowboy homer, and he sucks at his job.

:)

I don't pay much attention to or have any respect for the talking heads. I remember being a kid, getting up and watching hours of pre-game discussion and hoopla. Now, I'm happy to turn the game on 1 minute before kickoff, and sometimes watch with minimum volume throughout. ? 

1 minute ago, Sandy Monk said:

I don't pay much attention to or have any respect for the talking heads. I remember being a kid, getting up and watching hours of pre-game discussion and hoopla. Now, I'm happy to turn the game on 1 minute before kickoff, and sometimes watch with minimum volume throughout. ? 

It's so difficult for me not to watch the talking heads.  I don't know why.  My brother is the same way.  It kind of gets me pumped for the games.

Colts OL as outlined before Week #1

Colts OL Question Marks

OFFENSIVE LINE (10): Anthony Castonzo, Quenton Nelson, Ryan Kelly, Matt Slauson, Denzelle Good, Joe Haeg, Braden Smith, Le'Raven Clark, J'Marcus Webb, Mark Glowinski

The middle of the offensive line is set with Nelson, Kelly and Slauson. The left side will be OK, too, once left tackle Castonzo (hamstring) returns. The only position of question for the Colts is at right tackle, where nobody locked down the position throughout the preseason.

Colts OL leading up to Week #2

Colts OL before Week #2

Joe Haeg started at left tackle in the season-opening loss to the Bengals. J'Marcus Webbtook his usual spot at right tackle, but Webb went on injured reserve this week after his own hamstring injury. Rookie Braden Smith played the final snap of last week’s game in Webb’s place.  Casonzo is listed as Questionable with lingering hamstring issues.  

After Week 1, the Colts OL gave up 2 sacks.  1 sack from a DT and 1 from a DE.  Currently the Colts have issues at both OT positions. They've got an inexperienced RT filling in at LT.  They've got a Rookie starting at RT.  It appears that pressuring Andrew Luck is going to be the obvious plan for defending this pass happy offense.  I'm sure the Skins Defensive game plan will be a tweak from their week 1 plan vs AZ and David Johnson.  The formula here is pretty clear. Luck had his best results by hitting underneath routes to the TE and Ryan Grant crossing routes.  If Luck has time, he'll be able to go deep with accuracy.  The Skins biggest question marks are in their young secondary with Dunbar in his first year as a starter and after trading Fuller.  Luck will have some successful drives when he gets time.  If the Skins D can keep up the pressure and control the ball on offense, the Colts and Luck will be in big trouble in week 2.  If I'm game planning for the Colts, I'd come out with a No Huddle script attacking the middle, setting up an over aggressive defense.  Goal would be to get an early score and make Gruden fall back into feeling like he needs to pass more than run.  Try to get into a shootout.     

Blow up the middle of their offensive line and don't let Andrew Luck step up to avoid pressure coming from the edges.  He won't be comfortable at all and we should be able to force some turn overs.  

Redskins - 31

Indy - 17

2 hours ago, Sandy Monk said:

I turn on the Redskins app and listen to the game feed with Cooley and Larry Michaels.  MUUUUCH better than whatever C team the networks trot out cover our games.

3 hours ago, Sandy Monk said:

Could be easier than we thought.

I would temper that expectation.  If they come out with no huddle offense and put points on the board early, the Colts will instantly become dangerous.  Think about it because if you know your OL is going to get challenged early and often, with an aggressive pass rush imminent, what would you do?  I'd hope to win the coin toss and come out fast and furious.  I'd attack the middle, setup the screen, then go over the top. If you keep an aggressive defense on their toes, get an early score, that would be ideal.  

3 hours ago, Chachie said:

Until the Skins prove that "ye olde tradition of losing winnable games after a big win" is dead, I can't give them the nod for this game. It would be a classic Washington Redskins move to blow this one. 

Could be the kool-aid talking, but for some reason I feel like players like Alex Smith and AP won't allow a week 1 win to go to their heads or anyone else's. They seem to both be respected and leaders on the team. It could help...

7 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

I would temper that expectation.  If they come out with no huddle offense and put points on the board early, the Colts will instantly become dangerous.  Think about it because if you know your OL is going to get challenged early and often, with an aggressive pass rush imminent, what would you do?  I'd hope to win the coin toss and come out fast and furious.  I'd attack the middle, setup the screen, then go over the top. If you keep an aggressive defense on their toes, get an early score, that would be ideal.  

Every opponent is dangerous. 

The expectation that Indy not having their natural starting LT, and therefore RT... or a good RB... must be tempered? Would it be an unlikely conclusion that these potential losses could be easier on us, in that scenario? 

Your warning would be better served and more appropriate for posts that exclaim "we will crush them!" 

2 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

Every opponent is dangerous. 

The expectation that Indy not having their natural starting LT, and therefore RT... or a good RB... must be tempered? Would it be an unlikely conclusion that these potential losses could be easier on us, in that scenario? 

Your warning would be better served and more appropriate for posts that exclaim "we will crush them!" 

I think my point is that it's pretty obvious what the game plan would look like knowing you'll face an aggressive pass rush with a goal to get to Luck early and often.  So, hopefully the Skins wouldn't be surprised by the counter to that which would be a no huddle, quick slants, then over the top.  Indy would benefit from a shootout. 

I think the scoring sequence will dictate how the game can and would evolve.  Indy scoring first would give them a path.  I'm saying in this game, if you win the coin toss, you take the ball and go put points on the board.  I'd also anticipate Indy to try something different to throw your defense off the obvious plan to attack the QB.  I like the Skins in this game, however there's definitely a path for Indy when looking at their obvious issues on their OL.  

1 minute ago, TheShredder said:

I think my point is that it's pretty obvious what the game plan would look like knowing you'll face an aggressive pass rush with a goal to get to Luck early and often.  So, hopefully the Skins wouldn't be surprised by the counter to that which would be a no huddle, quick slants, then over the top.  Indy would benefit from a shootout. 

I think the scoring sequence will dictate how the game can and would evolve.  Indy scoring first would give them a path.  I'm saying in this game, if you win the coin toss, you take the ball and go put points on the board.  I'd also anticipate Indy to try something different to throw your defense off the obvious plan to attack the QB.  I like the Skins in this game, however there's definitely a path for Indy when looking at their obvious issues on their OL.  

I would temper your trembling. Your point is a strange one, in that you are suggesting the Colts will be more effective and dangerous with a lesser OL and RB. 

I think most people would find that as.. reaching for a need to feel fearful. 

I don't foresee any opponent on the schedule as a cake-walk. I also won't wet my pants of them either, and I surely will not fear an opponent more if they are missing better players while playing against us. 

4 hours ago, Chachie said:

You mean like the lowly NY Giants last season? At home? For a potential playoff spot?  ?

Last season we beat the lowly giants at home, but we were nowhere near getting a “potential playoff spot”. 

And if it’s 2016 you’re thinking of, Giants were not lowly. They made the playoffs. So I’m not sure you have your facts straight :P 

24 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Only thing that makes me nervous is seeing the Ravens get their asses handed to them right now after demolishing the Bills last Sunday. Praying the Colts aren't our Bengals lol...

Bengals are a far better team than the Bills are.  I don't think the Colts are the Bills and have a much, much better QB, so to win, we will need to make Luck uncomfortable in the pocket.  Get hands on him and get in his head.

4 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Only thing that makes me nervous is seeing the Ravens get their asses handed to them right now after demolishing the Bills last Sunday. Praying the Colts aren't our Bengals lol...

Yep, the game tonight shows that looks from games of the previous week (especially week one) can be deceiving.

I, personally, never thought the Ravens were 47-3 good, but I didn't think the pendulum would swing that far the other way. :ols:

We'll find out Sunday if the Redskins cruising victory over the Cardinals was just a mirage.

One thing we did learn from tonight's Bengals/Ravens game:

The Buffalo Bills must really REALLY suck. :)

Archived