Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

JoeJuan Williams - Love his size of course (6’3, 206).  Surprising speed and quickness for that size.  Can really stick with receivers - gave Ole Miss’s receivers trouble.  Breaks up a lot of passes, and often makes qbs look elsewhere because of his tight coverage (and size).  IMO, solid recognition skills (looked good in zone - peeling off his man to attack the target, and attacking wr screens) and willing in run support.

If he got his head around a bit more often on the deeper passes and came down with the ball more often when it hit his hands, he’d be an elite prospect IMO.  Solid ball skills though,  and most of the hit-his-hands-but-he-couldn’t-come-down-with-it were in his freshman year, so not much of a knock on him.  

Maybe a touch too early at 15, but looks like a 1st rounder.  Seems like a good kid too.  

13 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

JoeJuan Williams - Love his size of course (6’3, 206).  Surprising speed and quickness for that size.  Can really stick with receivers - gave Ole Miss’s receivers trouble.  Breaks up a lot of passes, and often makes qbs look elsewhere because of his tight coverage (and size).  IMO, solid recognition skills (looked good in zone - peeling off his man to attack the target, and attacking wr screens) and willing in run support.

Good find.  He has some good individual production this year.  Very high degree of passes defensed.  Same number as Byron Murphy.  Confident, ball hawking outside corner.  Saw some single coverage playmaking too.  I think you're probably right about his draft range based upon the on-field product.  If he goes lower, it'd probably be because of a meh 40 time.

I find it hard to accurately project range with corners until we get their 40 times because they are helped or hurt by them more than anyone else.  For example, I see Byron Murphy as a top ten talent, but perhaps his 40 is nothing special.  If he runs slow, he could easily drop 10-20 slots and go at the end of the first.  The inverse is true--Denzel Ward unexpectedly went top five after running a 4.32.

Irv Smith, Saivion Smith, Mack Wilson, and Josh Jacobs all declare.  They join Deionte Thompson, Quinnen Williams, and Jonah Williams as early entrants.  Christian Miller, Damien Harris, Isaiah Buggs, and Ross PIerschbacher should get drafted too.  Raekwon Davis and Trevon Diggs are going back to Bama.  Jennings and Shyheim Carter still have to make a decision.

I think Jennings is going to go back.  He's an Alabama lifer and I think he's got some unfinished business with Clemson.  He'll also want to try and rehabilitate his draft stock into the first/second round range.

Between Davis, Moses, and Diggs, and possibly Jennings and Carter, that should be a strong foundation for defense.  Surtain and McKinney should be better too.  Maybe Terrell Lewis comes back strong from his knee injury.  If not, super recruit Anoma will get a chance to play.  On the other side, LaBryan will probably start in Buggs's old spot.  Yeah, if Jennings and Carter go back that could be a dominant group.

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Good find.  He has some good individual production this year.  Very high degree of passes defensed.  Same number as Byron Murphy.  Confident, ball hawking outside corner.  Saw some single coverage playmaking too.  I think you're probably right about his draft range based upon the on-field product.  If he goes lower, it'd probably be because of a meh 40 time.

I find it hard to accurately project range with corners until we get their 40 times because they are helped or hurt by them more than anyone else.  For example, I see Byron Murphy as a top ten talent, but perhaps his 40 is nothing special.  If he runs slow, he could easily drop 10-20 slots and go at the end of the first.  The inverse is true--Denzel Ward unexpectedly went top five after running a 4.32.

Ironically, I was comparing him with Murphy as I wrote that.  Hard for me to get anywhere as it became (IMV) what would fit best for a team.  I like the speed Murphy brings - think he’s going to time quite well - which is something we need badly I believe.  Williams is no slouch there though, and brings the added size.  He’d be a great fit for the Seahawks, IMO.  

BTW - Walter has Williams as a 3-4th rounder (and Murphy as the 2nd best corner), so maybe I’m way off base about the 1st round.  

19 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

If we don't pick a TE this year then we are crazy. This class is loaded. Lot of young guys. It would give us a solution if Reed goes down or moved on. 

I sure hope we land one.  Given we have Sprinkle, I’d look for a good pass catcher that can possibly grow into more of a blocker.  I’m intrigued by Alize Mack and Caleb Wilson, but haven’t spent much time on TEs yet.  

Disclaimer I don't have a personal take on Murray yet and he looks intriguing but this is what Walterfootball wrote up on him (BTW I don't have a high opinion of Walter I believe he has more misses than hits in his analysis). 

http://walterfootball.com/draft2019.php

....NFL teams all soured on Russell Wilson leading up to the 2012 NFL Draft despite the fact that Wilson had more experience and was more accomplished than Kyler Murray over a longer span. While Wilson didn't win the Heisman, he probably would have if he played in the Big XII. Instead, Wilson thrived in two conferences where teams actually play some sort of defense. Despite this, Wilson fell to the third round. Now, just because Wilson has been an exception rather than the rule, Murray is somehow expected to be chosen in the opening round even though he's two inches shorter and 20 pounds lighter than Wilson! 

None of this makes any sense, especially when factoring in Murray's lack of starting experience, his extremely easy schedule this past season against all of the woeful Big XII defenses, his struggles against Alabama prior to garbage time, and the fact that teams may not be convinced that he's going to dedicate himself to football with baseball being a possibility. All of these things are strikes against Murray, which was relayed to me by an NFC personnel man I spoke to on Friday afternoon. I asked him about Murray, and while he expressed concern about his size, it was his dedication to football that was the major concern. 

"Murray should probably go on Day 2, but will probably go in the first round because he's a hot name," the personnel man said. "We assumed he was going into baseball because of Scott Boras, so no one wrote up any reports on him." 

Adam Schefter reported that general managers told him that Murray will be a first-round pick. This obviously came from general managers who didn't want Murray; otherwise, they wouldn't have said anything. Quite often, NFL teams don't know what others are going to do. I spoke to an assistant general manager days before the 2017 NFL Draft and asked him what he thought the 49ers would do at No. 2 overall. He said he thought they would take Patrick Mahomes. Last year, Charlie Campbell spoke to a general manager who thought the Giants would go with Sam Darnold with the second pick. Both of these people we spoke to are great talent evaluators, but they simply didn't know what other teams would do. Thus, the general managers Schefter spoke to were just guessing, like the NFC personnel man I spoke to. The possibility of Murray declaring has shocked the league, to say the least. 

That said, the general managers Schefter spoke to were doing something else as well. They were building hype for Murray. We've already established that those general managers don't want Murray, so they're trying to raise his value so that some team in front of them takes Murray, causing a better player to fall to them. I coined the phrase, "bad teams make dumb picks" a long time ago, and this is a case where the good teams are trying to bait a bad team to make yet another dumb pick.....

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2019.php#ixzz5ccLdVMqa

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Well he's not going to fall to the third like Russell Wilson did.

No he wont and if he did he'd most likely just decide to play baseball. 

Hard pass for me on this one.

If he didn't have baseball I'd consider him but he has way too many question Marks for me to have any interest. 

Walterfootball is hot take junk.  He's an OG draftnik from the days when everyone just regurgitated takes about other hot takes on Mel Kiper's hot takes.  He never evolved from fan take jackassery into actually watching film and doing evaluation even as the ability to do so was democratized by youtube and the fair use doctrine.  His analysis has zero value.  He's still spouting off in the exact same way he did when he lost his mind over Jimmy Clausen.

For me Murray is a pass. Beeing a successful QB is 40% physical skills, 60% mental. You need to work hard, be the first in the building and leave late in the evening. You absolutely need to love football. You just can't get enough of it. That's the difference between an oke QB and a great QB. 

Murray doesn't even know if he wants to be a QB. How are you then going to commit and put in the work? 

But I might he old fashioned 

2 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

If we don't pick a TE this year then we are crazy. This class is loaded. Lot of young guys. It would give us a solution if Reed goes down or moved on. 

Skins should move on from Reed because of his contract and lack of availability.  I doubt they will clean the roster because management thinks the team is on the cusp.  Sprinkle has shown he can catch a few balls when given the opportunity.  I'd promote Flanagan as the next blocking TE and then try to get one of these TEs in the draft.  How high though?  One of the third round picks on Hockenson or Smith?  Or do you try to maneuver down in the first and get Fant?  

7 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

Skins should move on from Reed because of his contract and lack of availability.  I doubt they will clean the roster because management thinks the team is on the cusp.  Sprinkle has shown he can catch a few balls when given the opportunity.  I'd promote Flanagan as the next blocking TE and then try to get one of these TEs in the draft.  How high though?  One of the third round picks on Hockenson or Smith?  Or do you try to maneuver down in the first and get Fant?  

Would let's the chips drop (that's what you say in English right?). I think the value probally is in the 3th to 4th round. You can then grab a TE the other years might be a second rounder at least. 

And yes people am back from my Redskins end of season depression. This board had just to many negative opinions after that terrible stretch of game. But the draft man...

56 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

57 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think the 1st round is the only round you could draft him before the 6th. If he falls past the 1st round he will almost certainly being playing baseball.

2 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

Would let's the chips drop (that's what you say in English right?).

The traditional phrase is "let the chips fall where they may"

Supposedly the origin of the idiom is from chopping wood/logging.  You don't worry about the chips when you're cutting the tree down because they are consequences outside of your control.

2 hours ago, nonniey said:

I think the 1st round is the only round you could draft him before the 6th. If he falls past the 1st round he will almost certainly being playing baseball.

Definitely.  He won't be able to pay back his signing bonus otherwise.  But I think he's going to go in the first round because I think he's the best player in the class.

Not only that, I think he's going to get a promise to be picked in the first round by at least one team.  And it wouldn't surprise me if it was Arizona.  He'll likely report to spring training and skip the combine so that he doesn't have to get measured.  Everyone knows he's short, and everyone knows he's fast.  He can't help himself at the combine unless he really is taller than people think, in which case, he'll want to put an official measurement out there some kind of way.  I'm not expecting that though.  I think he throws the A's a bone and goes to Spring Training and lets his film do the talking for him.  He's going to be a major commodity.

2. I’ve been talking to scouts for going on three months about Murray and none have said he’s a first-round quarterback. But that does not mean he won’t be drafted in the first round. The consensus is that he’s a second- or third-round pick, largely due to his lack of size—scouts expect he’ll come in at about 5' 9" and 175 pounds or so at the combine. There’s simply no precedent for a quarterback that size to go in the first round. And by taking him even on Day 2, teams would be making an exception to the rule (and he is, clearly, an exceptional talent).

So how does he get to the first round? It’s pretty simple, actually. Drafting quarterbacks has become a yes-or-no proposition for teams. Either you think a guy can be your long-term guy or you don’t, and if you don’t, you probably don’t take the player until at least the third round. If you do, then you’ll probably persuade yourself to draft him in the first round, rather than risking losing him by waiting. That’s why 13 quarterbacks have been drafted in the first round over the last four years, and just two in the second round.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/14/nfl-updates-news-kyler-murray-draft-scouts-reports-sheldon-rankins-sean-mcvay-rob-gronkowski?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sinow&utm_source=twitter.com&xid=socialflow_twitter_si

I’m intrigued by Blace Brown, corner out of Troy, but I can’t find enough tape.  Ball hawk (converted receiver), nice length.  Looks like he can play man and zone.  Probably needs some time to develop.  Lot of upside I think.  

Just read that Herschel Walker’s his uncle, which is interesting.  

Archived