Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

stevemcqueen1

I don't see that happening Re: Murray to Arizona.

Kingsbury's tweet was likely in a vacuum and without context. I'm sure he meant if he needed a QB and had the first pick when he said that. It was a way to praise Murray.

I'd be willing to bet part of Kingsbury agreeing to come into Arizona was that he was sold on Rosen as the QB for the time being.

I'm inclined to agree with steve here, though. If he declares he's a large flight risk. A team using a first rounder on him is a tremendous risk. If he stays with football and he pans out, it looks good. But the risk is extremely high. He's short, so there's some amplified bust potential, he's got a fall back in baseball, so there's a flight risk potential.

I wouldn't rule out a team using a 2 on him, although that's even a touch risky. I'm betting he'd fall in the 3-4 range. 

Although, we once traded up for Campbell after passing on Rodgers, so I guess anything is possible.

EDIT: Schefter saying they are open to doing it this AM: Yeah. They are going to put that out there to see what they can get for Rosen. If someone offers a king's ransom I can see them making the move. But I don't see anyone giving up too much for him. 

But again, who knows.

Murray is a good quarterback talent wise. But if a team were gonna use a first on him they'd need some language in the contract that he would not leave for baseball or some strange condition.

This definitely makes things interesting, though.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Kingsbury's tweet was likely in a vacuum and without context. I'm sure he meant if he needed a QB and had the first pick when he said that. It was a way to praise Murray. 

I'd be willing to bet part of Kingsbury agreeing to come into Arizona was that he was sold on Rosen as the QB for the time being.

Well, I don't think Kingsbury was spoiled for choice in HC opportunities.  Certainly not in the NFL.  That guy failed up.  But I think you could just as easily conclude that having the #1 pick was the selling point, not Rosen.

Every coach wants their own guy.

And that wasn't normal shining up an opposing player before you play him.  That was banging the table for him.  I recognize the emotion in his voice.

I almost can't believe this is happening.  If Arizona can get a firm commitment from Kyler to play football, they're going to trade Rosen and draft him #1 overall.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Some talk that the Cards would take him #1 and trade Rosen that would be too wild to believe...sorry see someone beat me to this point

I could totally see Cards trading Rosen to Giants for a #1 and taking Murray which leaves more QB's on the board for Skins. 🙂

I bet he skips the combine.  He's not going to want that 508x measurement out there in the open.  I bet he's in communication with Arizona right now and gets a promise from them and spends the draft season in Spring Training away from scrutiny.

The first domino to fall is going to be a Rosen trade.  Arizona will try and deal him before their intention to draft Murray completely torpedoes his market.  These are the considerations we need to make:

1 - should we deal for Rosen?

2 - how much should we be willing to give up?

3 - Haskins is probably going to drop to five or six now.  What will it take to get into his range?

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Well, I don't think Kingsbury was spoiled for choice in HC opportunities.  Certainly not in the NFL.  That guy failed up.  But I think you could just as easily conclude that having the #1 pick was the selling point, not Rosen.

Every coach wants their own guy.

And that wasn't normal shining up an opposing player before you play him.  That was banging the table for him.  I recognize the emotion in his voice.

I almost can't believe this is happening.  If Arizona can get a firm commitment from Kyler to play football, they're going to trade Rosen and draft him #1 overall.

I love the chaos. This is only good for the Redskins, though, if it happens. Rosen takes care of a QB needy team as does Murray.

Having said that, a 5-8 QB is a huge risk. And the news that Murray may declare for the draft is likely a leverage move. Murray is using baseball and football as leverage for his draft stock. It doesn't mean he's not going to declare/go to the combine. But it's smart business to see what he can get in both places.

The Arizona GM is now in a totally unenviable spot thanks to some comments from Kingsbury in October when he had no idea he was going to be coaching in the NFL on the team with the first overall draft choice. 

I'm still not sold on it. From Murray or the Cardinals. It's a ridiculously slippery slope.

8 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I could totally see Cards trading Rosen to Giants for a #1 and taking Murray which leaves more QB's on the board for Skins. 🙂 

Oakland has the ammunition to deal for him.

It feels really expensive to give up a first for Rosen though.  His rookie season was a disaster.  Honestly, I think the most I'd be willing to trade is a third.

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It feels really expensive to give up a first for Rosen though.  His rookie season was a disaster.  Honestly, I think the most I'd be willing to trade is a third.

I can't see the card trading Rosen. I know that in a different world, maybe that makes sense, but I don't think we have ever seen something similar happen, have we? Also, we should have traded up for Rosen when he was falling last year. That's not hindsight. I said it during the draft. 

Also, for everyone here saying that we should hold out for Tua, implying that he is clearly a better prospect than Haskins, I never hear anyone talk about Tua looking so bad against Georgia and Clemson. He left the Georgia game 10-25 for 164 yards, 1 TD and 2 INT's and Hurts came in and won the game. Then Tua was benched against Clemson. I know those are two top defenses, but I don't think we have yet seen such bad play out of Haskins. Secondarily, am I the only one that thinks that Tua's ball comes off his hand strangely? There is something about his release. It could just be that he is left handed, but I don't think so. The trajectory and spin just look odd. Obviously those haven't affected his stats. 

1 minute ago, Anselmheifer said:

I can't see the card trading Rosen. I know that in a different world, maybe that makes sense, but I don't think we have ever seen something similar happen, have we? Also, we should have traded up for Rosen when he was falling last year. That's not hindsight. I said it during the draft. 

Also, for everyone here saying that we should hold out for Tua, implying that he is clearly a better prospect than Haskins, I never hear anyone talk about Tua looking so bad against Georgia and Clemson. He left the Georgia game 10-25 for 164 yards, 1 TD and 2 INT's and Hurts came in and won the game. Then Tua was benched against Clemson. I know those are two top defenses, but I don't think we have yet seen such bad play out of Haskins. Secondarily, am I the only one that thinks that Tua's ball comes off his hand strangely? There is something about his release. It could just be that he is left handed, but I don't think so. The trajectory and spin just look odd. Obviously those haven't affected his stats. 

I’m on record saying I wouldn’t move up to the very top of the draft to take Haskins. It’s a reach in an unfriendly QB draft.  But if he drops closer to the Skins range it’s a much different situation. 

I think he’s an intriguing prospect. 

Tu’a is as well, but he’s not as pro ready and polished as many people thought. He’s got some strides to make. 

I'd be ecstatic if drew lock made it to us at 15 if not go bpa.

I definitely don't want to trade up to get anybody. 

Thatd be so Redskins though wouldn't it.

Trade next two years first rounders, have it work out so poorly that we end up with the number one pick in 2021 but it's for another team.

20 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I'm not sure hindsight argues for Rosen.  He was a deer in headlights last season and he's got a strong damaged goods vibe now.  If he gets put on the market, he'll probably get dealt for a second or third rounder.  By the time this draft is over, hindsight might prove that, if you want Rosen, the smart move was to wait Arizona out and get him for a third rounder.

Not sure I want Rosen though.  I would rather have Haskins than him if I've got a chance at either.

38 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think with the perceived poor QB draft, some team is giving up a 1st for Rosen if this whole things goes down and in all fairness Rosen was on a pretty bad team. 🙂    

You're not getting a ransom for a kid who had the worst passer rating in the NFL last season.  A kid who was the fourth QB taken in his own class.

If you can get one of Oakland's late firsts for him, then you pull the trigger and consider yourself lucky.  More likely they'll have to settle for a second or third rounder.  And the value will drop precipitously if they wait until after the draft to deal him.

10 hours ago, Hogs86 said:

Kyler Murray you just change the NFL draft now with the 15th pick the Redskins can draft a starting QB and will not have to trade up. Look at this quote from Kliff Kingsbury. Well coach you have the number 1 pick will you be trading Josh Rosen the #10 pick in last years draft? This should be fun.

Sports Illustrated

Verified account

@SInow
Follow Follow @SInow
More
Kliff Kingsbury back on October 28, 2018:

"Kyler is a freak.....I would take him with the first pick of the draft if I could

Tell me you would not be happy with any of the top four QB at the #15 pick.

1 Kyler Murray 5-11 190 4.50e Oklahoma JR
2 Dwayne Haskins 6-2 225 4.60e Ohio State RSO
3 Daniel Jones 6-5 220 4.65e Duke JR X
4 Drew Lock 6-3 225 4.90e Missouri SR
5 Will Grier 6-1 215 4.65e West Virginia SR

Okay, I would not be happy with anybody not named Dwayne Haskins at 15. 

That do it?

2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Fromm, Tua, Eason, Herbert,....... Hold out for any of them over Haskins.

1 hour ago, nonniey said:

Fromm, Tua, Eason, Herbert,....... Hold out for any of them over Haskins.

That's where I am at, too unless something just falls in their lap this time.  I wasn't in the 2020 or bust camp initially but am firmly in it now unless an opportunity presents itself this time.   Every team that needs a QB is drafting ahead of us so the idea of a Qb falling in our lap I think is unlikely.  Keep building the supporting cast.

Having said that, my gut is they indeed try something aggressive at QB this year.

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's where I am at, too unless something just falls in their lap this time. ....

Having said that, my gut is they indeed try something aggressive at QB this year.

Certainly none of 2019 options are worth the price of trading up for. 

Just now, nonniey said:

Certainly none of 2019 options are worth the price of trading up for. 

I agree, unless they have the hots for someone who falls not too far from their pick and won't have to give up much.  Doubt that happens though.  It's a perfect storm with NY Giants, Tampa, Miami, Denver all picking in front of them.  2020 is more likely to have better prospects -- more of them with likely less competition and the Redskins likely have a higher pick to go get them, too. 

2 hours ago, Long n Left said:

Okay, I would not be happy with anybody not named Dwayne Haskins at 15. 

That do it?

Like I said

BPA with our 15th pick

Get McSorely in the 6th round as a backup to Colt, we have 9 picks.

If we totally suck again you have a very decent QB class probably to choose from with a top 10 pick

Even better, if possible trade the 15th pick for a number 1 pick next year and a low 2nd and 4th this year, then next year if you need to you have plenty of ammo to move up and grab a QB.  Plus you have McSorely which being such a great kid and teammate, super cheap for a backup.

Archived