Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

14 minutes ago, skinsfan834 said:

Agree with the overall consensus that reaching for a QB in the first would be a bad move. 

However, I think our first pick needs to bring SPEED to this team. We have to be one of, if not the slowest teams in the league. Last night's game showcased the future of football. And let me tell you, if that is the future of the NFL, the Redskins are worse than ill-equipped to handle it. 

Given the lack of promising skill players at the top, we absolutely need to take a sideline to sideline ILB or a speed-edge rusher with our first pick. Another beast hog on the defensive line would be great, but there is only so much value-add that one more would bring. Take last Sunday's game for example. Our line was occupying Houston's line and putting our LBs in one on one situations with their skill players. How many times did you see Houston's mediocre RB's make Mason Foster miss?  

We totally need to upgrade at ILB and I agree that speed is one of the things our ILB are lacking

Just now, Renegade7 said:

That is an interesting idea if we do indeed give up on trying to get a QB in first round this year.

It's a terrible QB draft and worse teams will be fighting over that crap. Developmental late rounder is an option, not QB.

As far as trading back or out, for a could decent day 2 picks and a first next year, in a good QB draft, that's not a bad idea. Load up on oline and TE, and a couple linebackers and be ready to insert a young QB. It just depends on how the draft plays out.

3 hours ago, skinsfan834 said:

Agree with the overall consensus that reaching for a QB in the first would be a bad move. 

However, I think our first pick needs to bring SPEED to this team. We have to be one of, if not the slowest teams in the league. Last night's game showcased the future of football. And let me tell you, if that is the future of the NFL, the Redskins are worse than ill-equipped to handle it. 

Given the lack of promising skill players at the top, we absolutely need to take a sideline to sideline ILB or a speed-edge rusher with our first pick. Another beast hog on the defensive line would be great, but there is only so much value-add that one more would bring. Take last Sunday's game for example. Our line was occupying Houston's line and putting our LBs in one on one situations with their skill players. How many times did you see Houston's mediocre RB's make Mason Foster miss?  

Yeah I go back and forth on it.  I hit me too watching the Bears/Vikings game, too, Tarik Cohen, Gabriel, etc -- having weapons who can run can be big time helpful.  Running sweeps for example with 4.6 speed guys like M. Harris what's the point.  As I've said on this thread many times, Marquise Brown, is very intriguing. He's a small dude but can still play all the receiver spots, does YAC, goes deep, has really good hands, etc.  To me he has elements of Tyreek Hill.  But still tough for me to go WR with such a rich draft for pass rusher.  Still, wouldn't hate them going Brown -- of the games I've watched, he's the most fun watch for me.

I know some here respect Brugler, just found this

We should look for a late round RB as insurance for Thompson and Guice. Any thoughts on a good player? I was thinking Bryce Love!

ACL injuries are pretty career altering, so I am not keeping my hopes on Guice coming back and being a stud. I would love to be proven wrong but ACL injury history has a pretty consistent track record. We need a young stud RB

6th rounder flier, just like his uncle?

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:

late round draft pick and Bryce Love don't belong in the same sentence... 

Agree, though he might drop to the third or so his production is way down from last year.   the thing about him considering how fragile our team is injury wise, I wonder about him in that mix.

We need to go qb, corner, Ilb, or wr first round in this draft whatever is the best available... but keeping in mind we need to draft a qb we like at some point that can learn for a year or 2 behind the offense...

the giants def regret not drafting a qb...  I promise you..

11 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Why i typically defer to cats like you in this thread instead of talking out my ass, i admittedly don't watch college football and will have more input when combine comes around. 

You've got to watch it man.  It's just pure.  If you want to enjoy sports again, truly love the game of football, watch big time college football games with no rooting interest as often as you can.

My happiest sports experiences by far are watching college football games.

I am actually feeling depressed that the season is about to end.  It feels like it just freaking began.  I miss it so much when it is over.

But if you don't have the time on Saturdays, then do yourself a favor and take the time to watch the cut ups of these kinds on youtube.  Tons of time to do it between now and April.  They are soooooooo much more accessible now than they were the first several years that we started doing this (first ad hoc draft thread was the QB thread in 2009, first formal comprehensive draft thread was in 2010).  Almost every player in the class has at least one game cut up.  Most have several.  You will come to understand these players so much better by doing so.  And it's friggin fun.  DaRon Payne cut ups were amazing.  Brandon Scherff cut ups were pretty tasty too.  I was driving home in my car when the Redskins picked DaRon Payne and pulled over and started barking and flexing like a moron because I was so pumped up from the pick.  I loved him.  I was on cloud nine about the pick.  And it was all because I spent hours pouring over his cut ups and making gifs of all the dank plays he made that showed off special traits.  They're no substitute for getting to see the games, but they're a hell of a lot better than nothing.

7 hours ago, method man said:

Anyone have a read on Devin White from LSU? I just read a draft profile painting him as an all time great ILB prospect. Called Roquan Smith with proper size 

He's not as good as Roquan was.  His speed will shock you but he's not as smart or physical as Roquan was.  Tevon Coney is a better player than him IMO.

I like him, but not as much as the general consensus.  It sounds like he's going to get picked way too high.

One thing about the ILB position is that there are always good players there in every class after the first round ends.  It's to defense what OC is to offense in terms of draft value.  We'll be able to find guys like Khalil Hodge and Tre Watson in the third and fourth rounds.

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's not as good as Roquan was.  His speed will shock you but he's not as smart or physical as Roquan was.  Tevon Coney is a better player than him IMO.

I like him, but not as much as the general consensus.  It sounds like he's going to get picked way too high.

One thing about the ILB position is that there are always good players there in every class after the first round ends.  It's to defense what OC is to offense in terms of draft value.  We'll be able to find guys like Khalil Hodge and Tre Watson in the third and fourth rounds.

I've watched White play in a few games this year and he actually reminds me of Zach Brown. Freak athlete and really fast for his size but somewhat questionable football IQ and instincts. Will make splash plays but will also be caught out of position a fair amount as well.

A scout quoted on some of the D lineman in the draft, included the ones who have a shot to fall to our pick or lower based on mocks I've looked at

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/21/2019-nfl-draft-defensive-line-pass-rusher-scouting-reports?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_medium=social

Montez Sweat, DE/OLB, Mississippi State
“Talented player, he’s really long and he looks like a small forward. He has natural pass rush ability. He has a long stride, it doesn’t always look like it. He is powerful and he can rush the passer. He is playing really strong at the point of attack and playing the run a lot better than he did in the past. He is not just a pass rusher. The tricky part is the character stuff, he has some off the field stuff he has to clean up and show teams that he has rehabilitated himself. [Sweat started his college career at Michigan State in 2014 and was suspended for a violation of team rules after the second game of the 2015 season that caused him to miss the rest of the season. He left Michigan State the following spring, and played a season at junior college before joining Mississippi State in 2017]. He is probably a late first-rounder, early second-rounder. If anyone is projecting him higher they aren’t factoring in the character concerns.”

Raekwon Davis, DL, Alabama
“He is a man-child. Gigantic human being. He is still learning how to play, but he plays with such natural force and he is really long so he is hard to block. He plays like all those Alabama defensive linemen do, like Jarran Reed, Dalvin Tomlinson, he’s the next in line. He’s another guy with a huge ceiling. His pass rush production is down a little bit this year but he can really affect the inside of the pocket, coming off the ball and pushing it. He is a really high-end player.

Brian Burns, OLB/DE, Florida State
“The concern is going to be his weight, he is in the high 220s right now, so he’s kind of a sinewy body type. The two guys that I have done that were in the high 220s that were really good pass rushers coming out were Bruce Irvin and Vic Beasley, and he is probably a looser athlete than both those guys. Really fun to watch on tape because when he knows he is going to get the QB, he can go get him. He can change directions, he has really good countermoves, his takeoff is great, he can win with speed off the edge. The question is going to be what will he do on first or second down; he will have a bullseye on his chest until he bulks up and can hold up against the run. If you draft him, you know he can be a factor right away as a sub-downs player.”

Zach Allen, DL, Boston College
“He is a really versatile guy. He plays really hard. He is a pretty good athlete. He can play in a 3-4 or a 4-3. The thing that sticks out about him is the effort. Not overly athletic, but great effort. A lot of his pass rush comes from his motor. He does have versatility, he could be a 3-4 end in some schemes that move their front. He is kind of like a Ryan Kerrigan, just body type-wise. He’ll probably go somewhere in the second round, maybe the first.”

Jalen Jelks, DE/OLB, Oregon
“He is a tweener. He is going to be a 4-3 designated pass-rush guy because I don’t know if he really fits in a 4-3 on run downs. But as a 3-4 outside linebacker, he is going to have the length and the twitch. He is really twitchy for a long-bodied guy. Oregon doesn’t play him how he is going to play in the pros. They reduce him inside, play him inside and always have his hand on the ground where I think he could be more of a stand up guy at the next level. He doesn’t do a lot of outside linebacker type things like drop into coverage, and that’s what he’ll have to prove. We don’t have anywhere near a first-round grade on him right now.”

And here’s a small school guy you should know:

John Cominsky, DE, Univrsity of Charleston
“He is one of the most unique stories of the draft. Shaquem Griffin was the story of the draft last year, but this year I think it will be John Cominsky or Gardner Minshew this year. Cominksy came in as a quarterback, 6' 2", 210 or something like that and now he’s 6' 5", 275. He is really athletic for a kid that size, so he is a mismatch against guards because he is so athletic. He can really run. Teams right now are really intrigued by the athlete and the tools, it’s going to be how quickly can he put it together to rise to the occasion against better competition? But he’s dominated at the D-II level like you want to see a D-II guy do.Teams are enamored with his athleticism.”

3 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

To replace Harper? I know right. 

Damn Joe Maddon and his zany zoot suits. 

ILB...

and i I had to google that to see what the hell you were on about. Baseball bores the hell out of me so that'll be why the joke flew right over the head...😀

Just now, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

ILB...

and i I had to google that to see what the hell you were on about. Baseball bores the hell out of me so that'll be why the joke flew right over the head...😀

That's what I was hoping for. 

It starts with a joke, but one day you'll come around to baseball. I'm working on Martin C, turning him to light side. 

Just now, Monk4thaHALL said:

That's what I was hoping for. 

It starts with a joke, but one day you'll come around to baseball. I'm working on Martin C, turning him to light side. 

I'm too old from be turned on that one, tried along time ago but to no avail.👎

On 11/20/2018 at 12:23 PM, Renegade7 said:

That is an interesting idea if we do indeed give up on trying to get a QB in first round this year.

I’ll hope for it again. Trade out of this draft unless a freak falls to us in the first, trade out of the next if we don’t find ourselves in position for Tua/etc, trade Trent for picks, stockpile firsts for the JT Daniels/Trevor Lawrence draft. We need to stop repeating the things that make us the least interesting average team in sports history. We can position ourselves to have Trevor Lawrence for 15 years, I’d go ahead and do that. We can be average while planning our take over of the nfl. By the time Lawrence is here, we should have a Dline than will obliterate everyone. 

We we should have begun this process a year ago, but Dan will come around as reads the ES & digests another season without a playoff win. 

55 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My man crush continues. I know defense defense, defense in this draft but potentially the next Tyreek Hill is very tempting to me at times, too.  

Reminds me, we need to grab Anthony McFarland in 2020 to complete our backfield before we grab Lawrence. 

On 11/21/2018 at 3:41 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

A scout quoted on some of the D lineman in the draft, included the ones who have a shot to fall to our pick or lower based on mocks I've looked at

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/21/2019-nfl-draft-defensive-line-pass-rusher-scouting-reports?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_medium=social

Montez Sweat, DE/OLB, Mississippi State
“Talented player, he’s really long and he looks like a small forward. He has natural pass rush ability. He has a long stride, it doesn’t always look like it. He is powerful and he can rush the passer. He is playing really strong at the point of attack and playing the run a lot better than he did in the past. He is not just a pass rusher. The tricky part is the character stuff, he has some off the field stuff he has to clean up and show teams that he has rehabilitated himself. [Sweat started his college career at Michigan State in 2014 and was suspended for a violation of team rules after the second game of the 2015 season that caused him to miss the rest of the season. He left Michigan State the following spring, and played a season at junior college before joining Mississippi State in 2017]. He is probably a late first-rounder, early second-rounder. If anyone is projecting him higher they aren’t factoring in the character concerns.”

Raekwon Davis, DL, Alabama
“He is a man-child. Gigantic human being. He is still learning how to play, but he plays with such natural force and he is really long so he is hard to block. He plays like all those Alabama defensive linemen do, like Jarran Reed, Dalvin Tomlinson, he’s the next in line. He’s another guy with a huge ceiling. His pass rush production is down a little bit this year but he can really affect the inside of the pocket, coming off the ball and pushing it. He is a really high-end player.

Brian Burns, OLB/DE, Florida State
“The concern is going to be his weight, he is in the high 220s right now, so he’s kind of a sinewy body type. The two guys that I have done that were in the high 220s that were really good pass rushers coming out were Bruce Irvin and Vic Beasley, and he is probably a looser athlete than both those guys. Really fun to watch on tape because when he knows he is going to get the QB, he can go get him. He can change directions, he has really good countermoves, his takeoff is great, he can win with speed off the edge. The question is going to be what will he do on first or second down; he will have a bullseye on his chest until he bulks up and can hold up against the run. If you draft him, you know he can be a factor right away as a sub-downs player.”

Zach Allen, DL, Boston College
“He is a really versatile guy. He plays really hard. He is a pretty good athlete. He can play in a 3-4 or a 4-3. The thing that sticks out about him is the effort. Not overly athletic, but great effort. A lot of his pass rush comes from his motor. He does have versatility, he could be a 3-4 end in some schemes that move their front. He is kind of like a Ryan Kerrigan, just body type-wise. He’ll probably go somewhere in the second round, maybe the first.”

Jalen Jelks, DE/OLB, Oregon
“He is a tweener. He is going to be a 4-3 designated pass-rush guy because I don’t know if he really fits in a 4-3 on run downs. But as a 3-4 outside linebacker, he is going to have the length and the twitch. He is really twitchy for a long-bodied guy. Oregon doesn’t play him how he is going to play in the pros. They reduce him inside, play him inside and always have his hand on the ground where I think he could be more of a stand up guy at the next level. He doesn’t do a lot of outside linebacker type things like drop into coverage, and that’s what he’ll have to prove. We don’t have anywhere near a first-round grade on him right now.”

And here’s a small school guy you should know:

John Cominsky, DE, Univrsity of Charleston
“He is one of the most unique stories of the draft. Shaquem Griffin was the story of the draft last year, but this year I think it will be John Cominsky or Gardner Minshew this year. Cominksy came in as a quarterback, 6' 2", 210 or something like that and now he’s 6' 5", 275. He is really athletic for a kid that size, so he is a mismatch against guards because he is so athletic. He can really run. Teams right now are really intrigued by the athlete and the tools, it’s going to be how quickly can he put it together to rise to the occasion against better competition? But he’s dominated at the D-II level like you want to see a D-II guy do.Teams are enamored with his athleticism.”

Dexter Lawrence, Wilkins, Polite, Gary, Dre’Mont Jones, Tillary, Ximines, Bryant & Simmons all reach us in various Mock drafts, Ed Oliver approaches 10 in a few...close enough to go get. An embarrassment of riches on the lines, I look forward to seeing this thread develop as juniors declare, work out numbers come in, & draft season commences.

What a draft mine would have been

1. D James (killing it)
  2. D Guice (was going to kill it)
  3. M Jefferson (not so good so far)
  4. M Hurst (killing it)
  5. T Settle (Looked phenomenal)
  6. Equanimeous St Brown (Getting a lot of run with gb, but not killing it)
  7. Holton Hill (played well in limited time, Vikes love him)
  8. Desmond Harrison (shockingly started for Clev week 1, failed to kill it though, could be reason Hue is unemployed)

If anyone would like to sign up for my draft seminar, please feel free to contact Dan Snyder & he will take your message. If you don’t have his contact info, just stop at a local Taco Bell, I’ll probably be in one of them, it is difficult to escape the pull of the Gordita. 

Archived