Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Medium: I’m a neoliberal. Maybe you are too

No Excuses

‘Neoliberal’ is a term of abuse used by some people to attack fans of the free market. It is usually badly defined and other people’s attempts to define it have ended up being confused or confusingBen’s definition is the best I’ve read, because it describes a group who are distinct from libertarians and who lack a good descriptive term already.

This post is an attempt to trash Ben’s good work and reappropriate the term for my own purposes. A lot of what Ben says still applies, but a lot doesn’t too.

There is a emerging and growing group of people, particularly coming out of the libertarian movement, that lacks a useful descriptive term. These are people who are libertarianish — but they are fundamentally different to the mainstream libertarian movement when it comes to important values and approaches, and frankly lots of libertarians hate them for being, in their eyes, too statist or leftist.

I am one of them, and perhaps you are too.

Many of our left-wing opponents would describe us as neoliberal to slander us. I suggest we follow the Suffragettes and wear this label with pride.

https://medium.com/@s8mb/im-a-neoliberal-maybe-you-are-too-b809a2a588d6

What am I? 

A bleeding heart liberal with a lot of fiscal conservatism to help **** get done properly. 

No one should go hungry or be without a roof, electricity, or clean water. No one. We can fix all of that. Our elected representatives aren't helping. 

It's up to us.

2 minutes ago, LLandryistheshiz said:

...it was either Kierkegaard or Dick Van Patten who said, "If you label me, you negate me."

Its a nice summation of politics in this country.

99 percent of the political banter in the es tailgate is nothing more.

Yay. Labels.

They're always so productive.

Just be what you believe in and whatever anyone else calls you for it, who gives a ****. All labels put more on you than you believe, leave out other facets of what you believe, and rarely describe what you believe accurately because there are discrepancies between individual thought and labels meant to name an entire group of people.

I am "John" and i will vote for whoever I think is the better candidate. Period. some of my views support one side, some support the other, and some support neither.

Oh, and occasionally I am

~Bang

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

Its interesting to see so many of you feel the same way I do on the labels thing. I wonder if that's maturity or laziness on my part, but I dont know what "group" I'm in and I dont really care too. 

Exactly, i think if a person spends any time trying to describe all of my beliefs in a single label, they need to do something else with their time. it's just not possible. It's lazy, and most people prefer to know the label so they can instantly decide whether or not they will agree with you before you even say a word.

~Bang

52 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

So... what's a neoliberal, then?  The quoted part of the article doesn't really clear anything up.  And without context, the tweet doesn't make much sense, either.

There is a link to the entire post in the OP.

I will post my thoughts tomorrow

47 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

There is a link to the entire post in the OP.

I will post my thoughts tomorrow

I don't click on links like this without knowing what they're actually about.  Consider it a click-bait defense mechanism I've developed.  "Are you a neoliberal?  Click here to find out!".

6 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

I don't click on links like this without knowing what they're actually about.  Consider it a click-bait defense mechanism I've developed.  "Are you a neoliberal?  Click here to find out!".

Ok? So you’re just here for attention?

16 hours ago, No Excuses said:

Ok? So you’re just here for attention?

I thought my first post was rather clear.  I was asking for clarification of what a "neoliberal" was, since that was the crux of the thread.  Apparently that information is to be hidden behind a click-wall.

1 hour ago, PokerPacker said:

I thought my first post was rather clear.  I was asking for clarification of what a "neoliberal" was, since that was the crux of the thread.  Apparently that information is to be hidden behind a click-wall.

Complaining about having to click a link.. I can’t tell if this is satire.

Sorry you were so inconvenienced.

Archived