Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Cincinnati Enquirer: Lawsuit: Female UC Student Accused of Sexual Misconduct is Victim of ‘Slut Shaming’

GhostofSparta

Lawsuit: Female UC student accused of sexual misconduct is victim of ‘slut shaming’

A female University of Cincinnati student who was suspended over alleged sexual misconduct involving a male student has sued the university, saying she was disciplined for “engaging in the same sexual freedoms that men on the campus enjoy.”

The lawsuit, filed this week in federal court in Cincinnati, makes similar allegations to other cases in recent years that have named UC as well as Miami University.

A consistent theme is that the process universities use to investigate sexual assaults is flawed and prevents accused students from being able to defend themselves. All those previous local cases were filed by men. 

The lawsuit filed this week is unusual because it was brought by a woman identified only as “Jane Roe.” She says she was treated unfairly during an investigation into her alleged sexual misconduct.

According to the lawsuit, the treatment and discipline imposed on the woman amounted to “slut-shaming.” It defines the term as “the act of criticizing a woman for her real or presumed sexual activity.”

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2018/05/10/female-uc-student-accused-sexual-misconduct-victim-slut-shaming/598268002/

More at the link

7 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

This case aside, it is an interesting insight to society that a man who is promiscuous is THE MAN!!!! (depending on the quality of his conquest) yet a women who would do the same is a slut and ridiculed.  Interested to hear @LadySkinsFan input on this.

I thought we were past slut shaming and it was ok for women AND men to have as much sex with as many partners as they wanted.  If not then why did god invent Tinder?

I’m so glad I’ve been out of the dating game for like 13 years now.

13 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I thought we were past slut shaming and it was ok for women AND men to have as much sex with as many partners as they wanted.  If not then why did god invent Tinder?

Guess it depends on who you ask.  I've been out of the game for about 10 years myself.  But I do still have young people that work for me and I hear them talk.

33 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Don't have or attempt to have sex with partners who are too drunk to consent.  Is this not a principle we can apply consistently regardless of gender?

What if a person is too drunk themselves to determine if another was also too drunk to consent?

10 minutes ago, Springfield said:

What if a person is too drunk themselves to determine if another was also too drunk to consent?

I think most states define sexual assault as a general intent crime, so voluntary intoxication would not negate mens rea.  Could be a bit more tricky with an attempt charge.

But certainly, a school could take disciplinary action even if it would not rise to the level of a criminal conviction.

Edit: Ah, misunderstood the point you were presenting.  Intoxication leading to mistake of fact regarding consent.  If the intoxication is voluntary, then the standard would be a reasonable person, which the defendant's intoxication would not help.  Involuntary intoxication would only require an honest mistake, so that would be different.

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

I've been using Tinder and some other/similar apps since I broke up with my ex last year. They are great for men who are: 1. decent looking, 2. financially well off and 3. living in dense urban environments where you can play the numbers game. Women have a completely different experience on it as they get to be and usually tend to be VERY specific in who they choose to connect with.

Tinder hasn't really solved issues with sexual liberation because there are tons of men who go on Tinder expecting to get laid and then it turns out that no one wants to **** them. In fact, I have a sneaking suspicion that online dating might actually be having sort of a reverse effect where the un****able men are becoming even more misogynistic and bitter towards women as a result of their dating woes.

If you ever go on some of the more sexist parts of the internet, you get an insight into the dudes who are struggling and failing at online dating. Many of them actively deceive women and even set them up on false dates by creating fake profiles with pictures of male models. Several women I know who use Tinder or Bumble have had this happen to them. 

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Ie. What if both people are too drunk?

why are males typically on the bad end of a drunken hookup?

I don’t know if there’s a decent answer

The female student, however, said “he started kissing her” and removed her shirt. She said she asked “if there was anything else” he wanted to do. According to her, he said he wanted to go to sleep,

:rofl89::rofl89::rofl89:

Women are still held to different standards, either Madonna or Slut. If a woman is online, she's looking for sex right away, even if she says she is looking for friends. It's always fraught with danger when a woman meets up with an unknown man, that's why so many women are encouraged to meet in coffee shops etc.

Women aren't supposed to be out there with their sexuality, and if they are they deserve whatever they get. And because of the MeToo activity, it must be proved that women are sexual predators too. And granted some are. I think women teachers who prey on students should be punished as men teachers are.

We all know that there are more male predators than female.

I am on one dating site for older people. You wouldn't believe the numbers of men who contact me under the guise of being female. Mostly these guys sign up for multiple free accounts using the same embedded email address, some have phone numbers on the pictures. Just last night I received notices from the same person using two different usernames, different pictures of the same person. I always report these predators as scammers.

These stupid men think that putting up a picture of an attractive woman, writing some drivel, put statistics that don't match the pictures like different eye color or height, using the same description with embedded email in the different accounts with different usernames and locations. 

So even me as a Lesbian can't get away from these losers.

17 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

This case aside, it is an interesting insight to society that a man who is promiscuous is THE MAN!!!! (depending on the quality of his conquest) yet a women who would do the same is a slut and ridiculed.  Interested to hear @LadySkinsFan input on this.

I feel like a lot of that has to do with age.  In my teens what your describing was certainly true.  It was less true in college.  In my 20s in the working world I don't think people really cared as much.  Everyone was just trying to make a life for themselves and that mattered more than who was sleeping with who.  In my 30s it seems like people either have families or are trying to find a happy medium between continued independence and loneliness.  It's more of a question of having someone than how many someone's you've had.

The further I moved from the forced social dynamics of school the less caring about who is sleeping with who mattered.  Maybe a small town replicates the everyone knows everyone environment of school that allows this form of gossip to flourish, but I wouldn't know because small towns aren't for me.  

I will say this though, I judge the hell out of adults that can't keep their personal life quiet.  Especially if it causes any drama for me to deal with.  Don't be that person obviously having an affair in front of people that know your spouse.  Don't be the person gossiped about at work because you've slept with entirely too many coworkers.  

Archived