Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Miami Herald: I’m done trying to understand Trump supporters. Why don’t they try to understand me?

A big part of Trump's appeal among his mouth-breathing followers is his very lack of civility.  He's turned it into a parlor game. So when the President of the United States resorts to Tweeting schoolyard nicknames and calling opponents enemies of the State, spare me the pearl clutching over the responses.  He has made zero attempt at unifying a divided nation.  You reap what you sow. Or, as the troglodytes put it, "You reap what you sew."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I like how "Becky" is what will put people over the top but not actual white supremacists posting white supremacist things on this board.

Kinda odd, right?

And on that note, I’d like to extend an apology to @CousinsCowgirl84.  I did not mean for the “crush you” comment to be interpreted personally towards her.  I intended it as a strongly worded statement of what I believe is really at stake for us with no pretense of civility. In other words, that’s what an actual lack of civility looks like.  As far as the “Becky” thing, I felt it was fairly accurate given the context and my understanding of the term.  If cowgirl took offense, I apologize for that as well.

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I like how "Becky" is what will put people over the top but not actual white supremacists posting white supremacist things on this board.

If I see it - it will put me over the top. I don't see everything on this board. Speaking of bigotry and racism I have seen what you posted but didn't bother too much confronting you as several of the liberal members here acurately pointed out what you are.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nonniey said:

If I see it - it will put me over the top. I don't see everything on this board. Speaking of bigotry and racism I have seen what you posted but didn't bother too much confronting you as several of the liberal members here acurately pointed out what you are.  

I confronted them, disagreed, and civilly moved on. I am not a racist. I abhor white supremacy, white privilege, and white inaction on race.  

Your turn.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, grego said:

Isn't it not possible (by one sociological definition) for minorities to be racist? 

apparently so when it comes to white/(insert any group) relations in western society.

I also do not discriminate against people, do not think one race or sex or religious people are superior to others, etc.

Its stupid, and I abhor it. Now some of your friends on this forum may support those views - and have said as much - but I am not here for it.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin

3 minutes ago, grego said:

Isn't it not possible (by one sociological definition) for minorities to be racist? 

I dont think minorities can be racist bc I think "systemic/institutional  power of the majority" and "use of power to maintain status quo" are necessary elements. A black or latin demographic doesnt have that power. A black butcher giving black people discounts on meat but not white people at your local Harris Teeter doesnt rise to the level of institutional power even though the black butcher is in a position of power to give preference to one customer over another. 

I try to use words like prejudice or stereotypes when talking about minorities treating others unfairly just bc of their skin color or gender identity. 

I also believe a white person cannot define "racism" or "racist" .. and Im a white guy ... so .... yeah.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Ok, this honestly is me trying to be "civil"...........

NAZIS! ****ing tiki torch, blood n soil Nazis, right here on our streets, NAZIS!

If I'm going to draw a line it happens WAY before I get to tolerating NAZIS!

There is no degree of Nazi, no nuance, no kinda/almost/not really Nazi

(And now, for that certain someone who gets triggered by memes)

Nazis.jpg.2fd418a00caf6a4c673aacd43216e21b.jpg

Funny, I remember the days when the only time that anyone used the term Nazi was because they were butthurt over something a mod said here. Good times....................

Now, that's where we're at, actual ****ing Nazis, and the IMO those people that want to excuse or rationalize or mainstream Nazis, well, that gets you in the club.

Edited by LD0506
Fat fingers- dammit!
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

I dont think minorities can be racist bc I think "systemic/institutional  power of the majority" and "use of power to maintain status quo" are necessary elements. 

I also believe a white person cannot define "racism" or "racist" .. and Im a white guy ... so .... yeah.  

that is really odd. not by the new sociological definition, but the traditional one. 

why can't a white person define those words?

14 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Now some of your friends on this forum 

you give me too much credit :rofl89:

12 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

I dont think minorities can be racist bc I think "systemic/institutional  power of the majority" and "use of power to maintain status quo" are necessary elements. A black or latin demographic doesnt have that power. A black butcher giving black people discounts on meat but not white people at your local Harris Teeter doesnt rise to the level of institutional power even though the black butcher is in a position of power to give preference to one customer over another. 

I try to use words like prejudice or stereotypes when talking about minorities treating others unfairly just bc of their skin color or gender identity. 

When someone thinks of a race as inferior that is racism. When someone attributes a derogatory/ inferior trait (such as oh I don't know - lets say cowardice for example) to a  race that is racism.  You don't have to have power to act on that way of thinking to be a racist you just have to think that way.

Edited by nonniey
  • Haha 1

Just now, grego said:

that is really odd. not by the new sociological definition, but the traditional one. 

why can't a white person define those words?

I can only speak for me and how I view these issues. White people can and do define "racism" but in my 1 person world - I dont think a member of the oppressor group should be in charge of defining the terms of their oppression upon the oppresse.  

I only speak for me. I dont dictate what other people should do or say or think. I dont try to place my own personal rules of thought on others.

If a white person wants to define what is racist and what is not racist, 100% their right to do so. I wont and dont judge them. maybe Ill learn something that I can apply to my evolving thoughts. Just not my way of going about that very specific issue. I wouldnt want a stranger defining my parenting style or my lifestyle. They are not in a position to, they dont have enough facts and they never will. Outside maybe my wife or immediate immediate family, no one would know enough to be in a position to do so. They can but I would most likely give it 0% consideration. 

So, as a white guy, how can I even come close to defining what is racist and what is not? Thats like some stranger judging my parenting skills based off watching me and my kid for 2 minutes. Itd be like trying to write a movie review when you didnt actually see the movie. Id probably miss a lot of context and details and end up with an objectively inaccurate summary of what the movie was about. 

8 minutes ago, nonniey said:

When someone thinks of a race as inferior that is racism. When someone attributes a derogatory/ inferior trait (such as oh I don't know - lets say cowardice for example) to a  race that is racism.  You don't have to have power to act on that way of thinking to be a racist you just have to think that way.

I consider that prejudice or stereotyping. Thats just me and my world. We all live on our own island. Mayor of our own town with a population of 1.

5 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

I can only speak for me and how I view these issues. White people can and do define "racism" but in my 1 person world - I dont think a member of the oppressor group should be in charge of defining the terms of their oppression upon the oppresse.  

I only speak for me. I dont dictate what other people should do or say or think. I dont try to place my own personal rules of thought on others.

If a white person wants to define what is racist and what is not racist, 100% their right to do so. I wont and dont judge them. maybe Ill learn something that I can apply to my evolving thoughts. Just not my way of going about that very specific issue. I wouldnt want a stranger defining my parenting style or my lifestyle. They are not in a position to, they dont have enough facts and they never will. Outside maybe my wife or immediate immediate family, no one would know enough to be in a position to do so. They can but I would most likely give it 0% consideration. 

So, as a white guy, how can I even come close to defining what is racist and what is not? Thats like some stranger judging my parenting skills based off watching me and my kid for 2 minutes. Itd be like trying to write a movie review when you didnt actually see the movie. Id probably miss a lot of context and details and end up with an objectively inaccurate summary of what the movie was about. 

but the definition of a word doesnt depend on your skin color. being a certain color doesnt mean you don't have a brain and an ability to think and reason. i'm not sure your family parenting style and ones perception of it is analogous (although i might say if one beat their kids with a belt, i may have a thought about that).

13 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

If you define something as X you are making a truth claim. Then you by necessity believe anybody who doesn't believe it is X is wrong. 

When I internet search racism, here is the first hit from Oxford Dictionary. This appears to be incorrect according to you. Is it?

rac·ism
[ˈrāˌsizəm]
NOUN
  1. prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

One example of this is prejudging a black man to more likely to be a criminal than a white man.

Edited by Zguy28

I truly hope that a swath of reliably Republican/Independent voters can briefly set aside their issues with Democrats/liberals the next two elections.  

While I can imagine it’s very tough to vote against one’s own political ideology and vote with a group that has shown them a good deal of anger, I’m more and more convinced that our history is at stake.  Retaining our allies, NATO, concerns of Russian supremacy, and election interference, authoritarianism in the US, freedom of the press etc., should all trump the hot button issues like abortion, State’s rights, and strict interpretation of the 2nd Ammendment. 

Just my opinion of course.  

14 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

If you define something as X you are making a truth claim. Then you by necessity believe anybody who doesn't believe it is X is wrong. 

When I internet search racism, here is the first hit from Oxford Dictionary. This appears to be incorrect according to you. Is it?

rac·ism
[ˈrāˌsizəm]
NOUN
  1. prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

One example of this is prejudging a black man to more likely to be a criminal than a white man.

Truth claim? I guess I didnt explain myself clearly enough. I claim no truth. IM not trying to reach group consensus or prove my definition is right. My definitions and thoughts are only right for me. I dont expect anyone to agree with me. i dont care if they do. How I feel or think is not universal, it is only how I personally think and feel. 

I went out of my way to explain that my definition is only my definition, and I dont think anyone else's is wrong and i dont expect anyone else to accept my definition. I dont push my definitions or thoughts on others. You want to tell me how I think? Okay. Youre free to do so.  

Me personally .... yeah, i probably wouldnt look to the "Oxford English Dictionary" as my first source in gathering info on defining racism or what is a racist. Thats just me though. You do you. 

I think we all think for ourselves and no one can say what another person thinks. 

• Like 1