Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Miami Herald: I’m done trying to understand Trump supporters. Why don’t they try to understand me?

9 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I wanted to argue this so bad, but...

Humans have been on this planet for a very long time.

We barely have any knowledge of most societies that existed outside of Europe. People who actually do research on this stuff for their livelihood are still discovering new societies. It’s not saying America is garbage, but that we have no effing idea so fall back out of that hubris.

Edit: and why exactly is she and people like her to blame and not the leaders and wealthy people who allowed this to happen? Easy to pick on the low hanging fruit. 

Edited by BenningRoadSkin

3 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Me too.  Could be an interesting debate but probably should be it's own thread.  For all our faults, I think it is hard to say we haven't been the greatest. 

1 minute ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Humans have been on this planet for a very long time.

We barely have any knowledge of most societies that existed outside of Europe. People who actually do research on this stuff for their livelihood are still discovering new societies. It’s not saying America is garbage, but that we have no effing idea so fall back in the hubris.

Just now, TryTheBeal! said:

Our society is as great as we make it and, honestly, we’ve done some pretty great things the last few generations.

I feel all of yall. And I kinda do want to make this a topic now..... But suffice it to say I think its arguable at least and recent history, including some decisions that lead us to where we are, should be counted too. 

8 hours ago, Llevron said:

Do yall think its possible that Fox news is retarding the mental faculties of an entire segment of people just by literally redefining their reality?

Pretty obvious.

re The greatest society... He said “perhaps” the greatest society. I don’t see how anyone can take umbrage with that. Someone could definitely make an intelligent argument for that being the case.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff

I think for the most part, when it comes to the "understanding" aspect of a Trump voter, the question should be approached the opposite way.  Considering the majority of them are likely life-long GOP voters anyway, I think the answer is they are voting for Trump because he ran as a Republican.  It doesn't go much beyond that.  I suppose a better question for them would be, how awful would a GOP candidate have to be for them to consider voting Democrat?

The "I'm done trying to understand" part for me falls more on the Obama/Democratic voters who switched parties to vote for Trump, when faced with the other option pretty much being a centrist Corporate Democrat in the vein of an Obama or Bill.  Thus far, I have never really heard a concrete answer that has anything to do with policy and much more "I just don't like Hillary." The exception is that I have heard from some that were fear-mongered on the immigration issue.

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Pretty obvious.

re The greatest society... He said “perhaps” the greatest society. I don’t see how anyone can take umbrage with that. Someone could definitely make an intelligent argument for that being the case.

Naw I have no problem with it. I just think it would be fun to argue. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I'm rather surprised. 

Completely bogus claim about climate change notwithstanding, I'm flat out shocked that they actually know the Earth's rotational speed. 

Or that it rotates. Or is round. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, clietas said:

Oh she goes on about Democrats never wanting black people to have civil rights. Someone might want to read a history book.

Technically true. But not sure of its actual relevance. Parties evolve. 

27 minutes ago, grego said:

Technically true. But not sure of its actual relevance. Parties evolve. 

Its relevant since she says in the second video that the democratic party never wanted black Americans to have civil rights. That's a boldfaced lie. 

You're a 100% correct that parties evolve. Both parties use to be in favor of civil rights. The moment that it really changed was the 1948 Democratic Convention. 

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...

'It's going down' is a good example of a group that can provide some good nuggets of info, but get stuff wrong. It's a group that seems to hold a worldview that everything is racist and everyone who is right of Bernie is alt right. For instance, they think Tim Pool is alt right. That's crazy. 

9 minutes ago, grego said:

'It's going down' is a good example of a group that can provide some good nuggets of info, but get stuff wrong. It's a group that seems to hold a worldview that everything is racist and everyone who is right of Bernie is alt right. For instance, they think Tim Pool is alt right. That's crazy. 

Yeah the problem here is It’s Going Down, not the racist dirtbags they exposed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grego said:

You completely missed the point. 

I really didn't. You can typically only find it in yourself to whine about mean lefties. And in the case of Tim Pool, you are the company you keep and he has no problem being a close ally of alt-right douchebags. I mean for ****s sake, the guy has been photographed with hanging out with alt-righters, while throwing the white power gesture. And I know some of you still like to pretend  "BUT IS IT REALLY A WHITE POWER SYMBOL???". Yes it is, and has been since it was co-opted by Richard Spencer. Playing dumb isn't going to work anymore, especially when videos like the one above with dumb trash throwing that sign while saying "**** n-word".

So no, I didn't miss your point. Your point is consistently, "lefties are out of control labeling everyone racist", and typically the people you think shouldn't be labeled racist (remember when you were still wondering why Stefan Molyneux is a racist?), are in fact, complete dip**** racists.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

I really didn't. You can typically only find it in yourself to whine about mean lefties. And in the case of Tim Pool, you are the company you keep and he has no problem being a close ally of alt-right douchebags. I mean for ****s sake, the guy has been photographed with hanging out with alt-righters, while throwing the white power gesture. And I know some of you still like to pretend  "BUT IS IT REALLY A WHITE POWER SYMBOL???". Yes it is, and has been since it was co-opted by Richard Spencer. Playing dumb isn't going to work anymore, especially when videos like the one above with dumb trash throwing that sign while saying "**** n-word".

So no, I didn't miss your point. Your point is consistently, "lefties are out of control labeling everyone racist", and typically the people you think shouldn't be labeled racist (remember when you were still wondering why Stefan Molyneux is a racist?), are in fact, complete dip**** racists.

Seems to me the reasonable thing to do would be to connect the obvious dots between white-nationalism and Turning Point USA.  But I guess that takes more intellectual courage than some of our members possess.