Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Miami Herald: I’m done trying to understand Trump supporters. Why don’t they try to understand me?

On the contrary, my son goes to school in Charles Town, WV in a county that went all the way red in November.

His honors English teacher told a student wearing an american flag shirt that students shouldn't wear any flags to school because it might offend someone, USA flag included, with the only exception being the pride flag.

Honestly, I didn't believe him - I thought he was trying to twist her words, because he generally doesn't like her much to begin with.  So I went digging and other students, one being the daughter of a very close friend of mine, verified that my son was telling the whole truth.  This was 2 weeks ago, and part of me wanted to push the issue, the other side didn't want to start trouble for him.  

But unfortunately, the teachers political opinions being passed down to our children works both ways.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

See, If I'm a democrat any kind of following nationally Im running with this story and the many like it until there is no air left for CRT. You don't have recording of teachers saying 'You are white and you should be ashamed of yourself because of it' so I win automatically. Worse case, they prove im making a big deal out of it for political reasons and I can use the exact same logic for CRT and I get to say I was doing it to show you how stupid all of this is.  

9 minutes ago, Llevron said:

See, If I'm a democrat any kind of following nationally Im running with this story and the many like it until there is no air left for CRT. You don't have recording of teachers saying 'You are white and you should be ashamed of yourself because of it' so I win automatically. Worse case, they prove im making a big deal out of it for political reasons and I can use the exact same logic for CRT and I get to say I was doing it to show you how stupid all of this is.  

And it would make no difference whatsoever because that cohort runs around 24/7 with their fingers in their ears screaming "LA LA LA LA LA LAAAAA!!!!" 

Communication is a two way street, without that you're pouring water out onto sand

33 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

And it would make no difference whatsoever because that cohort runs around 24/7 with their fingers in their ears screaming "LA LA LA LA LA LAAAAA!!!!" 

Communication is a two way street, without that you're pouring water out onto sand

Naw I honestly think there are a lot of people to be swayed by this stuff. And it takes almost no effort. And its an easy retort to the made up CRT stuff. You don't even have to prepare to argue CRT anymore. Just point to this junk and say I agree, we need to know what teachers are teaching kids and this goes for both sides of the isle. Its way too low effort to not try imo 

• Like 2

An 8th grader in Ventura, CA told his mom after school that she had been lying to him, Trump was still president, and he was never getting vaccinated, after his teacher went on a rant about Hunter Biden, election fraud and vaccine conspiracies in class. Teacher is still teaching.

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

And I hope assloads of teachers that have young children will get them vaccinated asap so they can fill those vacancies.   Don't let the loopy folks take control.  We can do this. 

I'm willing to go further. Any state that allows teacher and staff to work unvaccinated in your schools loses federal funding. If you want these loons to teach, you're footing the bill. Anyone caught lying about their vaccination status while applying for a job at a school will be charged with fraud. We need to stop rewarding these mouth breathers for their unacceptable behavior.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

I'm willing to go further. Any state that allows teacher and staff to work unvaccinated in your schools loses federal funding. If you want these loons to teach, you're footing the bill. Anyone caught lying about their vaccination status while applying for a job at a school will be charged with fraud. We need to stop rewarding these mouth breathers for their unacceptable behavior.

This could get interesting... What point do you feel the opposition is missing? Are they unable to state your viewpoint or share it? Note; I am dipping my toes in here...

31 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

On 11/4/2021 at 5:51 AM, LD0506 said:

if we can state their opinion back to them so that we get a "yes" on the understanding part THEN we should have the chance to make OUR position and the reasons for it known.What goals are the COLLECTIVE "we" trying to achieve?

2 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

"Politically charged"?  This is what's wrong with the cowing of journalism now days.  "Completely untrue" fits well, if you want to be "neutral".  Pretty sure "clinically psychotic" is true, too.  But that label, while true, might be excessive.  

"Politically changed" makes it sound like he was advising students who they should vote for.  It's possible to discuss both political parties without diverging from reality.  (Although it's becoming more difficult with every election cycle.)  But he doesn't deserve to be institutionalized for supporting the wrong political party.  He deserves it for using his government-granted position of authority to tell children lie after lie after lie.  

If his statements were true (or even kinda similar to truth), I'd be supporting him.  

Edited by Larry
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

9 hours ago, HanburgerHelper55 said:

if we can state their opinion back to them so that we get a "yes" on the understanding part THEN we should have the chance to make OUR position and the reasons for it known.What goals are the COLLECTIVE "we" trying to achieve?

I think his whole point was that there can be no collective “we” when one side refutes logic, scientific evidence, historical data, and refuses to even hear (let alone listen to) alternative viewpoints.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

One Year Ago, Biden Won. Republicans Still Won’t Accept It.

It may not feel like it, but Sunday marks one year since the Associated Press called Pennsylvania and the 2020 presidential election for Joe Biden.

Late morning on November 7, 2020, the AP’s call launched celebrations around the country by Americans relieved at Donald Trump’s ouster from the White House, even though the wire service’s proclamation actually came a few days after it had already become clear that Biden had easily defeated Trump in the electoral college.

The former president never produced a scintilla of evidence that voter fraud affected results in any state. In more than 50 lawsuits attempting to challenge the election results, Trump and his allies claims’ didn’t even argue fraud occurred, because they lacked evidence. Instead they tended to be objections to procedures adopted by states and counties that allowed voting during a pandemic. And all those failed.

But Trump’s supporters believed—and still believe—his lies. On January 6, thousands of them stormed the Capitol, some of them threatening to kill then-Vice President Mike Pence for fulfilling his wholly ceremonial role in certifying Biden’s electoral votes. Five people died that day.

Polls continue to show that a large majority of Republicans assert that Joe Biden was not legitimately elected President of the United States. In September, a Suffolk University/USA TODAY poll of US registered voters found that 70 percent of GOP voters believe, or claim to believe, the Big Lie, versus 22 percent who did not. Ninety six percent of Democrats believed Biden was duly elected. Similarly, a November 1 NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist poll found that 75 percent of Republicans say Trump has a legitimate claim that there were “real cases of fraud that changed the results.”

The most striking thing about these findings is that they are pretty much the same as polling in January. Eleven months of reporting on Trump supporters sacking Congress based on disinformation, and eleven months of debunkings and explanations of the lies that caused the attack, failed to move the needle.  

Click on the link for the full article

13 hours ago, HanburgerHelper55 said:

This could get interesting... What point do you feel the opposition is missing? Are they unable to state your viewpoint or share it? Note; I am dipping my toes in here...

I don't think they care about "points" per se, they seem to just want to trigger libs or think that because they're upset about something, they're allowed to do anything. They don't like that kids are being required to wear masks at school? They have the right to assault and threaten school board members. I don't like the elections results, lets overthrow the government. If these people were actually held responsible for their actions, we wouldn't see as many of them.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, Larry said:

"Politically charged"?  This is what's wrong with the cowing of journalism now days.  "Completely untrue" fits well, if you want to be "neutral".  Pretty sure "clinically psychotic" is true, too.  But that label, while true, might be excessive.  

"Politically changed" makes it sound like he was advising students who they should vote for.  It's possible to discuss both political parties without diverging from reality.  (Although it's becoming more difficult with every election cycle.)  But he doesn't deserve to be institutionalized for supporting the wrong political party.  He deserves it for using his government-granted position of authority to tell children lie after lie after lie.  

If his statements were true (or even kinda similar to truth), I'd be supporting him.  

Somehow the "Parent's should have a say in curriculum" folks are likely going to overlook this teacher's diatribe? 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 8:38 AM, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

On the contrary, my son goes to school in Charles Town, WV in a county that went all the way red in November.

His honors English teacher told a student wearing an american flag shirt that students shouldn't wear any flags to school because it might offend someone, USA flag included, with the only exception being the pride flag.

Honestly, I didn't believe him - I thought he was trying to twist her words, because he generally doesn't like her much to begin with.  So I went digging and other students, one being the daughter of a very close friend of mine, verified that my son was telling the whole truth.  This was 2 weeks ago, and part of me wanted to push the issue, the other side didn't want to start trouble for him.  

But unfortunately, the teachers political opinions being passed down to our children works both ways.

Yep, it’s crazy really.  In my daughters school home room only her and 1 other student stand up for the pledge of allegiance.  The teachers make it clear it’s optional.  Some teachers have pride flags in their classrooms.   This is middle school and half kids are gay one week then bi the next because they it’s the cool thing to do.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mojo said:

Yep, it’s crazy really.  In my daughters school home room only her and 1 other student stand up for the pledge of allegiance.  The teachers make it clear it’s optional.  Some teachers have pride flags in their classrooms.   This is middle school and half kids are gay one week then bi the next because they it’s the cool thing to do.  

And when I was in grade school we all knew that hippies were cool. We didn't know what cool was, but hippies were it. 

We also knew that Goldwater was what happened if you didn't flush. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 11/7/2021 at 5:17 PM, mojo said:

Yep, it’s crazy really.  In my daughters school home room only her and 1 other student stand up for the pledge of allegiance.  The teachers make it clear it’s optional.  

Your daughter's teacher makes it clear that the Pledge is optional because it is. Teachers aren't allowed to force students to stand or say the pledge even if they wanted to, because it would violate the 1st amendment rights of the students.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/19/us/pledge-of-allegiance-explainer-trnd/index.html

Do most students stay seated because of religious or political objections? No, I suspect most don't bother because they see it as a waste of time and empty theater, like those stupid flag pins all politicians have to wear all the time now, but teachers aren't allowed to poll people to find out if their reason for not participating is "good".

That is also very different than telling a kid that he can't wear a flag t-shirt. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I seem to remember things a bit differently, myself. Found this one, for example:  

Orlando Sentinal: ARSON CAUSE OF FIRE AT RAYS -- BOYS START SCHOOL TODAY

Arson caused the fire that destroyed the home of three AIDS-infected brothers, investigators said Tuesday, but they admitted they do not have enough evidence to arrest a suspect.

Meanwhile, Clifford and Louise Ray, who fled Arcadia after the fire destroyed their house Aug. 28, planned to let their sons -- Ricky, 10, Robert, 9, and Randy, 8 -- start school today in Sarasota.  

But Citizens Against AIDS, an Arcadia group that opposed the Ray children attending school in their community, has followed them to Sarasota and plans to hold a seminar there tonight.

8 hours ago, techboy said:

Your daughter's teacher makes it clear that the Pledge is optional because it is. Teachers aren't allowed to force students to stand or say the pledge even if they wanted to, because it would violate the 1st amendment rights of the students.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/19/us/pledge-of-allegiance-explainer-trnd/index.html

Do most students stay seated because of religious or political objections? No, I suspect most don't bother because they see it as a waste of time and empty theater, like those stupid flag pins all politicians have to wear all the time now, but teachers aren't allowed to poll people to find out if their reason for not participating is "good".

That is also very different than telling a kid that he can't wear a flag t-shirt. 

I agree that most kids don’t stand bc they’re offended, I would say most don’t because they’re too lazy to take 30 seconds to look up from their cell phone.  I think her teacher could try influence different behavior without forcing them to stand, especially since he doesn’t mind trying to influence them with his pride flag in his classroom.

12 minutes ago, mojo said:

I agree that most kids don’t stand bc they’re offended, I would say most don’t because they’re too lazy to take 30 seconds to look up from their cell phone.  I think her teacher could try influence different behavior without forcing them to stand, especially since he doesn’t mind trying to influence them with his pride flag in his classroom.

I have a teenage son.  He doesn't stand for the pledge.  Not lazy or phone obsessed...its a conscious choice.  His exact explanation: "I'm not pledging allegiance to this country until it starts acting like a country worth pledging allegiance too"

He's not alone.  Most of his friends are of the same mind set.

The antics between the left and the right of this country, the stalemate and rot from the interior, the constant back and forth trolling and frankly infantile behavior, are losing us the next generations.  They are not blind, or stupid.  A teacher, even one he might admire, will have little to no influence in changing this perspective.

The problem with being the shining city on the hill is we actually have to be a shining city on the hill.  Look at how we behave towards each other...why would any teen/young adult want to pledge allegiance to that?

• Like 6