Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Miami Herald: I’m done trying to understand Trump supporters. Why don’t they try to understand me?

My sincere wish is that we use this thread for the next 3 months to post about how large numbers of rioters have been arrested and charged with felonies due to their own stupidity.

https://www.vox.com/recode/22218963/capitol-photos-legal-charges-fbi-police-facebook-twitter

The Capitol rioters put themselves all over social media. Now the FBI is watching.

Many participants willingly — and quite happily — posed for photos and videos at the scene, or boasted of their exploits on social media and verified livestream accounts during or shortly after the melee, even though many of their actions may well be serious crimes. Apparently believing they weren’t doing anything wrong or that law enforcement wouldn’t go after them for their actions, the Trump supporters paraded in front of cameras wearing distinct (and thus easily recognizable) costumes and, in some cases, even ID badges.

In short, those who stormed the Capitol didn’t leave social media breadcrumbs for law enforcement to follow to their front doors — they left entire loaves of bread.

Their arrests are likely imminent. The FBI is calling for “tips and digital media depicting rioting and violence in the U.S. Capitol Building and surrounding area in Washington, D.C.”

“Let me assure the American people the FBI has deployed our full investigative resources and is working closely with our federal, state, and local partners to aggressively pursue those involved in criminal activity during the events of January 6,” FBI Director Christopher Wray said in a statement Thursday. “Make no mistake: With our partners, we will hold accountable those who participated in yesterday’s siege of the Capitol.”

The DC Police Department has also requested “assistance in identifying persons of interest responsible for unlawful entry offenses,” posting on its website a series of photos showing rioters inside and around the Capitol building. One person who brazenly held pieces of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s door aloft is suspected of “receiving stolen property,” while another who was photographed vaping while seated behind a desk and using a phone is suspected of “unlawful entry.”

And social media detectives — who deservedly don’t have the best reputation for tracking down potential criminals — are also on the case. An Instagram account dedicated to identifying and naming members of the mob has already accumulated nearly 100,000 followers.

At least two participants have already been fired from their jobs: Goosehead Insurance confirmed Thursday on Twitter that Paul Davis, an associate general counsel at the company, was no longer employed there. Davis posted a video on Instagram from outside the Capitol in which he complained of being tear-gassed. Another man was wearing a clearly visible employee ID badge. He is no longer an employee; Navistar Direct Marketing fired him “after a review of photographic evidence.” Another former employer of the man, Glory Doughnuts, identified him as Nicholas Rodean on its Instagram account.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Suicide by taser to the balls while overthrowing a democracy is a real metal way to go out 

I’m beginning to think you may not really “get” the Metal thing.  Consult the Friday Night Music thread for my well-considered guidance.

Edited by TryTheBeal!
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Might have to name this the Trump arrest thread.

Agree.  Trump Supporters Getting Arrested or Trump Supporter Violence Thread.  I think everyone "understands" Trump supporters at this point, so the original thread title isn't very descriptive anymore.  

I think the OP is maybe banned?  @Jumbo can we get a ruling?

38 minutes ago, China said:

First we have this guy:

Man Seen Hanging Off of Ledge During Raid on Senate Says He’s Talking to His Lawyer

Josiah-Colt-via-Win-McNamee_Getty-Images

His name is Josiah Colt, according to Boise-based news outlet KBOI-TV. He said he was consulting with his attorney.

“I love America,” he said in a statement to the outlet. “I love the people, I didn’t hurt anyone and I didn’t cause any damage in the Chamber. I got caught up in the moment and when I saw the door to to the Chamber open, I walked in, hopped down, and sat on the chair. I said my peace then I helped a gentlemen get to safety that was injured then left.”

He claimed to tell other protesters that this was a “sacred place” and to not cause any damage.

“Some of them wanted to trash the place and steal stuff but I told them not to and to leave everything in it’s place,” he said. “We’re still on sacred ground.”

Click on the link for the full article

"I mean, there I was, storming the US Capitol building as part of the protest I sought out, so I could try to install a President through undemoctatic means. And then things just went too far."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cooked Crack said:

Might have to name this the Trump arrest thread.

51 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Agree.  Trump Supporters Getting Arrested or Trump Supporter Violence Thread.  I think everyone "understands" Trump supporters at this point, so the original thread title isn't very descriptive anymore.  

I think the OP is maybe banned?  @Jumbo can we get a ruling?

This whole sad episode really does need a separate thread to peel it off this thread and the Presidential election thread.

• Like 1

https://www.npr.org/sections/congress-electoral-college-tally-live-updates/2021/01/08/954940681/man-who-posed-for-photos-sitting-at-desk-in-pelosis-office-has-been-arrested

Man Who Posed For Photos Sitting At A Desk In Pelosi's Office Has Been Arrested

The Department of Justice says Richard Barnett, identified as the man who sat at a desk in House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's office during the siege of the U.S. Capitol by pro-Trump extremists, has been arrested.

Barnett was taken into custody in his home state of Arkansas. His identity and place of residence became a hot topic of discussion online, sparked by the striking photo of him with his feet up on the desk.

Barnett is currently being held at the Washington County Sheriff's Office in Fayetteville, Ark., according to Charlie Robbins of the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Westrn District of Arkansas.

9 minutes ago, Llevron said:

She died doing what she loved. Screaming at strangers not to tread on her. 

I wonder if the irony of the situation was running through her mind? 

Messed up way to bite it. 

One man tased himself in the balls until he died while trying to steal a Tip O'Neil portrait from the U.S. Capitol.  Another QAnon moron was trampled to death while holding her "Don't Tread on Me" sign.  God has a morbid sense of humor.

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1