What to do at LG?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. What should Skins do at LG?

• In Kouandjio we trust
    • Move Ty Nsekhe
    • Find Vet to compete with Kouandjio- best man wins
    • Our starting LG is not currently on the roster

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/05/2018 at 04:55 PM

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The offensive line’s struggles vs. the Colts weren’t as bad as they looked. Quarterback Alex Smith was sacked three times, but he was only pressured on 10 plays. Moreover, the problems on the line were almost exclusively the fault of left guard Shawn Lauvao. He surrendered a sack and four additional hurries, the latter of which tied the other four members of the line put together.

Lauvao is a potential problem — a weak link on a unit that is only as strong as its weakest link — but given that the other four members of the line are solid or better, the Redskins should be able to overcome.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2018/09/18/four-reasons-redskins-fans-shouldnt-panic-about-the-team-just-yet/?utm_term=.c183ebf53b7e

I wonder how this will affect the ground game. Because the other big issue, and maybe a bigger issue moving forward is the run blocking. Because it was piss-poor last week. And to be blunt, it wasn't that good against the Cards, it's just that Peterson juked some guys out of their jocks that were in the hole.

24 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I don't know what the answer is but put on some film of the last several games Ty has played and you will quickly throw up in your mouth.

See this is where I'm pissed, not about Kirk and Alex but the O line and the WR's, we knew what we had there was beat up and hanging by a thread and we decided not to address it,

Oh I remember.  I got a lot of crap for putting FO on blast for bringing him back and drafting a tackle instead of a guard in the third round, let alone settling with Lauvao again.  Everybody in here universally agreed that the fate of our season rested on the health of the offense, yet even our backups have injury history, said that was a terrible idea, don't care if they know the system or not.

But what's done is done.  I want the best players on the field, not conventional wisdom.  Pats do this all the time, will use a linebacker to lead block on occasion if they feel it will help.  Trent's best days are behind him, but I've said in other threads I love the idea of him mentoring a future franchise left tackle standing literally right next to him.  Trent doesn't deserve to just get trashed like he's last weeks paper, he should retire a redskins and we should try to figure out how instead of blowing holes in what was supposed to be a postion of strength. Again.

43 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I wonder how this will affect the ground game. Because the other big issue, and maybe a bigger issue moving forward is the run blocking. Because it was piss-poor last week. And to be blunt, it wasn't that good against the Cards, it's just that Peterson juked some guys out of their jocks that were in the hole.

Our Crackerjack FO strikes again in FA.

Lauvao if I recall ranked dead last or close to it at LG by PFF last season -- so lets let Long (84 passblock rating thus far this season) go to the Jets and bring back Lauvao (51 pass block rating from PFF) and not even worry about depth because that worked out so well last year maybe it will work better with an older Lauvao with even more wear on his tires --in effect downgrade from last season because the same people are back minus one of their younger O lineman.

Not rocket season that they fell apart last season in part because the depth at O line and Lauvao was the weak link.  Instead of fixing said problem they doubled down on it and made it even weaker.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The offensive line’s struggles vs. the Colts weren’t as bad as they looked. 

I counted 6 runs to the right in the first half, didn't bother looking at the 2nd half.

We ran to the right a ton in week 1 (lots of pulls) but in this game we didn't.

So I counted 6 runs to the right with only 1 positive run, those other 5 were either losses or the RB made it to the LOS.

Lavao wasn't the reason any of those runs were ineffective, although I agree he stinks.

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

And to be blunt, it wasn't that good against the Cards, it's just that Peterson juked some guys out of their jocks that were in the hole.

This 100%

Do the Skins have a LG on the practice squad?  Looks like Lauvao is out for this game and knowing his traditional recovery rate...probably out for a game or two AFTER the bye.  Skins O-line is already dinged up and now getting thin at guard and center.  And yet I see nothing being done to pick up more depth.

42 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

Do the Skins have a LG on the practice squad?  Looks like Lauvao is out for this game and knowing his traditional recovery rate...probably out for a game or two AFTER the bye.  Skins O-line is already dinged up and now getting thin at guard and center.  And yet I see nothing being done to pick up more depth.

They have two guys listed as tackles on the PS, don't know if either can play guard, but they might allow Nsekhe to shift there.  They only dress seven on game day and they can do that no problem this week

25 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

This was a big question mark in the off season, and the FO's best idea was to let Long go and bring back Lauvao? We really need to have someone competent up there, because this is killing us.

we'd converted Long to C.  Right now we're playing our C at LG.  Seems clear to me that whatever we thought of Long we didn't like him at G.  Maybe they didn't actually like him period

1 hour ago, Wyvern said:

Dunn has been inactive, I’m assuming he’ll be active this week.  It will be interesting to see if he starts.  

54 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

This was a big question mark in the off season, and the FO's best idea was to let Long go and bring back Lauvao? We really need to have someone competent up there, because this is killing us.

I think they liked Kouandijo and thought they might land one in the draft (there were a lot of options but a big run on them before our original 2nd rd pick).  Considering his price, our cap situation, and the fact we’re looking at this with hindsight, I don’t totally blame them for not re-signing him.  Sad that we’re in this position though.  A good guard was one of my big offseason wishes and not making a legit move there is coming home to roost.  

Especially frustrating for me because fixing the run game was one of my top 2 priorities for the team (along with stopping the run).  Generally speaking, I’d have taken a G before a wr or a back (in FA or the draft)... though I’m thrilled they wound up with Guice.  

13 minutes ago, carex said:

They have two guys listed as tackles on the PS, don't know if either can play guard, but they might allow Nsekhe to shift there.  They only dress seven on game day and they can do that no problem this week

we'd converted Long to C.  Right now we're playing our C at LG.  Seems clear to me that whatever we thought of Long we didn't like him at G.  Maybe they didn't actually like him period

Maybe "they" are not very good at their jobs? I'd MUCH rather have either Long at G and Roullier at C or vice versa. Roullier played a lot of G in college, and I'm sure he'd be fine there. Either way, it's a better plan than Lauvao. Just about ANYTHING is a better plan than Lauvao.

From last year https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-washingtons-c-spencer-long-and-g-shawn-lauvao-both-placed-on-ir

"In terms of numbers, Long had actually been the team’s best performer in pass protection this year, and has allowed just five total pressures on his 223 pass-blocking snaps, for a pass-blocking efficiency of 98.2, the 10th best mark among centers. While Long will be missed, the Redskins seem to have a solid enough replacement in Chase Roullier, who has been filling in for Long since Week 7. In those five games, Roullier has allowed five pressures on his 181 pass-blocking snaps, for a pass-blocking efficiency of 97.9, 11th best among centers in that span.

Lauvao, however, has arguably been the weak link in the Redskins’ offensive line. Through 11 weeks, his pass-blocking efficiency of 93.0 ranks 77th of 79 guards with at least 115 pass-blocking snaps, while his PFF overall grade of 38.3 ranks 71st among players at the position. Going forward, Arie Kouandijo will step in, and could very well offer an upgrade in pass protection, as Kouandijo has played 57 pass-blocking snaps this year, and is yet to allow a pressure."

Yeah, that ^ says it all.  They hoped Kouandijo would earn the starting nod and had no plan to bring back Lauvao.  Also didn’t want to pay much for a G because of Kouandijo’s play.  I really do think they hoped for a G in the draft but the pickings were slim by their 2nd selection.  Would have preferred they took a chance on one in the 3rd or 4th though... not enamored with either of their picks there.  To be fair though, I have to assume they went by their board, so... it is what it is at this point.  

Really, really hoping Dunn shows them something.  

BTW, Kouandijo is done for the year right?  No chance of a late season return?

12 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Yeah, that ^ says it all.  They hoped Kouandijo would earn the starting nod and had no plan to bring back Lauvao.  Also didn’t want to pay much for a G because of Kouandijo’s play.  I really do think they hoped for a G in the draft but the pickings were slim by their 2nd selection.  Would have preferred they took a chance on one in the 3rd or 4th though... not enamored with either of their picks there.  To be fair though, I have to assume they went by their board, so... it is what it is at this point.  

Torn quad. He's done

3 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I was all in favour of an upgrade at LG but paying Spencer Long 6.5mil in the 2018 season was not the answer.

Um, we STILL have almost 10 million in cap space. I'd be ok with spending some of that on a good interior lineman.

37 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Maybe "they" are not very good at their jobs? I'd MUCH rather have either Long at G and Roullier at C or vice versa. Roullier played a lot of G in college, and I'm sure he'd be fine there. Either way, it's a better plan than Lauvao. Just about ANYTHING is a better plan than Lauvao.

if they aren't any good at their jobs then talking about what they should do is pointless

28 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

even if he heals up the time he was placed on IR makes it an all season thing

2 minutes ago, carex said:

if they aren't any good at their jobs then talking about what they should do is pointless

Because "maybe" we need to have competent people in that position, and this is just one of many examples of why "they" need to be fired and have competent people hired. :P

3 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Um, we STILL have almost 10 million in cap space. I'd be ok with spending some of that on a good interior lineman.

Size may be everything, but Long is average at best. Not worth that money. Should have spent money at WR and drafted a decent interior OL.

6 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Size may be everything, but Long is average at best. Not worth that money. Should have spent money at WR and drafted a decent interior OL.

1. Average would be a big improvement

2. Long might be better than average.

3. Either would preferable to "bottom feeder", which is what Lauvao is.

4. Most of the good interior OL went early, and than means reaching with a 1st or 2nd round pick. I'd rather just pay a FA, or keep guys you drafted. It also means no Guise or Payne. Not sure I like that.

5. Agree on WR, but we have over 9 million in cap, and all we are doing is bringing in 1st round busts. This is what a ****ty FO does.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/20/2018 at 2:34 PM, Renegade7 said:

Move Trent to LG to extend his career and put Ty at LT until we draft a new one.  The longer we try to experiment, the more games we risk losing.

Still made we drafted a tackle in 3rd round instead of a guard, we all saw this coming even if some wanted to hold out hope it wouldn't.

Ive always been against this but ... if Scherff goes to IR, I think we have to do this.

55 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Ive always been against this but ... if Scherff goes to IR, I think we have to do this.

If Scherff goes on IR, moving Trent to LG only covers the left side. Who takes Scherff's place? If the answer is Roullier, I don't want to hear that answer.

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

So, we cut Ziggy Hood, worked out 3 guards and don't sign anyone. Great.

Whoa .. I thought the Ziggy move was to make space for adding McGee.

Jerry appeared in 16 g last year for NYG and was rated #36 out of 78 Gs by PFF.

http://nfltraderumors.co/redskins-worked-out-guards-john-jerry-oday-aboushi-j-j-dielman/

interesting ... I think we need to prepare now for Scherff going to IR. MCL injury and he is tough as hell but he is a hobbled man out there. I dont want that MCL injury to turn into a tear and with a compromised knee he might be more susceptible to major knee injury, acl increase probability etc ..

Hes set to make 12.5 next year under his 5th year option ... I say sign him to a LTD (5yr/40m w 28G) if he would take it, then rest him for a few weeks. if he needs surgery, go ahead and do surgery. He has long term stability and we can not rush or force him out there.

37 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The only plan they’ve ever had is Luavao at LG. He starts there when he’s healthy.

Everything else is window dressing.

I swear Sean is either secretly related to Gruden AND Allen or he has the goods on both of them.

I could be wrong, but I think they liked what they saw from Kouandijo...

Of course, that went south in a hurry, and Lauvao appeared to be their one and only backup plan. :(

@Why am I Mr. Pink? That would be quite a blow to the oline and the season... ouch.  

Archived