Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Derrius Guice RB LSU

PCS

13 touches - I was more expecting like bell cow numbers. Of course 10 for 18 will do that.  CT got a lot work when I was expecting to see Guice.   Philly is a tough out though. Our passing game far exceeded expectations while the run game choked.  Philly may have stacked vs the run?

5 minutes ago, dyst said:

Guice’s limit seems more like an adequate starter than an actual game changer.  

It might, and that’s a strong might, take him a few games to get his real running legs under him.  I’ve seen him in college break 90 yard runs.  We shall see.

He runs like a guy playing his first NFL game coming back from a bad injury. Honestly, I expected as much, which made the "The offense will go rhrough Derrius" stuff all the more peculiar.

Add in the suspect line and questionable coaching/scheme and, well, you get what you got. Eagles D arent slouches either

14 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

No way to tell that with the situations he ran in behind this OL. 

He doesn't seem like a nimble jump cutting type of back. Give him big holes where can he plow through, sure he’ll get your yards but in college, training camp, preseason and today...I just don’t see a guy light on his feet. Seems like a good back but not a game changer. Certainly doesnt seem as good as even a 34 year old AP.

14 minutes ago, dyst said:

He doesn't seem like a nimble jump cutting type of back. Give him big holes where can he plow through, sure he’ll get your yards but in college, training camp, preseason and today...I just don’t see a guy light on his feet. Seems like a good back but not a game changer. Certainly doesnt seem as good as even a 34 year old AP.

He's an insanely creative runner, you haven't seen much of what he's capable of yet. Hopefully we do.

37 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

He's an insanely creative runner, you haven't seen much of what he's capable of yet. Hopefully we do.

1 game is definitely jumping the gun on my part but my eyes tell me, he is not Zeke, Bell, Barkely or anyone else in that stratosphere.

57 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

He runs like a guy playing his first NFL game coming back from a bad injury. Honestly, I expected as much, which made the "The offense will go rhrough Derrius" stuff all the more peculiar.

Add in the suspect line and questionable coaching/scheme and, well, you get what you got. Eagles D arent slouches either

And the decision to sit Adrian Peterson, wtf??!!

He may not have felt as much pressure knowing that AP would be spelling him and backing him up we he needed it. 

Absolutely no way I can be convinced the better back started. Not saying Guice doesn’t have a future, but AP still at his advanced age is a step above Guice. I get and working to appreciate the youth movement, but it didn’t have to come at the cost of AP not playing. 

To be honest, I’m not and never have been a Chris Thompson guy and much rather have AP and Guice taking all the RB work. Have Guice do the brunt of the receiving work. 

I have no clue what game some folks were watching, but Guice played a good game. It seemed like someone was making contact with him behind the line of scrimmage on every play and yet he still got positive yardage. There were several times where I thought the blocking just collapsed and he’d be dropped for several yards- not ever the case.

I don't think guice played poorly. The opportunity wasn't there. 

AP has earned being on the 53 man roster at all times. Run game can still go through guice and CT but who is the backup to guice if he gets hurt and who spells guice? 

I don't wanna hear the crap about we need that 3rd rb to play special teams.. find someone else. 

Gruden was 100% making a point to AP. I don't think it was necessary

Gruden's arrogance on this topic after THAT game shows he's irredeemable. 

If he has two brain cells to rub together, AP will quietly get some first team snaps this week and then be active every week from here on out. He'll say it's just normal gameplanning decisions but it will be an unacknowledged allowance that maybe he was wrong, and if he's lucky it just goes away.

4 hours ago, dyst said:

Guice’s limit seems more like an adequate starter than an actual game changer.  

Based on what? This one game?

Guice was a special back in College. Now College is not the NFL but what Guice did in College and even in his limited action in preseason shows he has the ability to be a very very good NFL back. It will help if we can get some better run blocking, stop with the holding and false starts and the defense can get off the field to give the offense more than 4 possessions in a half.

27 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Gruden's arrogance on this topic after THAT game shows he's irredeemable. 

If he has two brain cells to rub together, AP will quietly get some first team snaps this week and then be active every week from here on out. He'll say it's just normal gameplanning decisions but it will be an unacknowledged allowance that maybe he was wrong, and if he's lucky it just goes away.

If AP had been up would he have got any carries in the first half while we put up 20 points? Unlikely.

Then second half we had 4 possessions.

First possession we have a run for no gain and then a false start on Moses. 2 and 15 we ran a draw where Guice was tackled as he got the handoff. Then we dump it off and punt.

Second possession was about 8 minutes later. We had that huge missed opportunity to McLaurin on first down and the back to back drops on passes that would have been first downs. Punt.

A lot later we get our next possession which was in the fourth quarter. We have a 7 yard completion to Guice on 1st down. Then both a hold and a chop block penalty on a decent run. So it’s long yardage again. We get a short completion and then another false start on 3rd down. Then it’s a screen and punt.

Last possession was the final TD drive which was all passing.

What difference do you see AP making to any of the above?

6 minutes ago, MartinC said:

If AP had been up would he have got any carries in the first half while we put up 20 points? Unlikely.

Then second half we had 4 possessions.

First possession we have a run for no gain and then a false start on Moses. 2 and 15 we ran a draw where Guice was tackled as he got the handoff. Then we dump it off and punt.

Second possession was about 8 minutes later. We had that huge missed opportunity to McLaurin on first down and the back to back drops on passes that would have been first downs. Punt.

A lot later we get our next possession which was in the fourth quarter. We have a 7 yard completion to Guice on 1st down. Then both a hold and a chop block penalty on a decent run. So it’s long yardage again. We get a short completion and then another false start on 3rd down. Then it’s a screen and punt.

Last possession was the final TD drive which was all passing.

What difference do you see AP making to any of the above?

A few yards here and there when we run in such predictable situations goes a long way towards making every other down manageable. Nearly every CT carry (and we used him in a very un-CT-like way today) would have been better off in AP's hands. In my opinion. 

You're right that the penalties basically killed any chance we had at a running game in the second half, and then it just snowballed. 

But in the first half, when sustaining another drive or two puts the game further out of reach...AP makes a difference there. 

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

A few yards here and there when we run in such predictable situations goes a long way towards making every other down manageable. Nearly every CT carry (and we used him in a very un-CT-like way today) would have been better off in AP's hands. In my opinion. 

You're right that the penalties basically killed any chance we had at a running game in the second half, and then it just snowballed. 

But in the first half, when sustaining another drive or two puts the game further out of reach...AP makes a difference there. 

We punted twice in the first half. Both in the second quarter.

The first punt Guice carried on 1st down for 5 yds but we had a hold on Quinn. So it’s 1st and 20. We ran Guice again on 1st down still he got 5 yds. The it’s pass pass punt. 

Next series we went play action on 1st down and had an incompletion. Then CT came in and had two runs and we were inches short of the first and we punt.

Again hard to see where AP gets a carry or makes a difference.

Not sure why everyone assuming Guice is even 100% at this point.  Not that he isn't fully "healthy" but coming off that kind of surgery, we don't know if it will effect his burst and cutting speed for a handful of weeks why he works to get back the trust in his legs. 

With that said, AP should be on the active game day roster.  Period.

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Not sure why everyone assuming Guice is even 100% at this point.  Not that he isn't fully "healthy" but coming off that kind of surgery, we don't know if it will effect his burst and cutting speed for a handful of weeks why he works to get back the trust in his legs. 

With that said, AP should be on the active game day roster.  Period.

Meh. I think I would have had him up but as per my posts above I don’t see where he makes any difference at all today.

And if he is up you have to find someone to play special teams - last couple of active spots are normally between 4th RB, 5th WR and a LB. And it’s special teams needs that determine who is up normally.

17 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Then CT came in and had two runs and we were inches short of the first and we punt.

Again hard to see where AP gets a carry or makes a difference.

Seems like you found a spot on your own. 

Every play and consequence cascades into the next. So it's hard to say everything after would have been the same if we got that 1st down or any other in the game. Who knows. 

15 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Seems like you found a spot on your own. 

2nd and 10 you could have kept Guice in or AP if he was up, but we went 11 personnel opted to spread them out and run CT from what looked like a pass set. 3rd and 2 we again stayed in a pass look and had that direct snap to CT where he came up inches short.

I really can’t see how AP either got on the field or had an opportunity to make any difference to the outcome if he did today. We would have needed much more time of possession and running situations to get AP 4 or 5 carries. And he’s not a back who gets going with 4 or 5 carries anyway - not many are.

Archived