Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Derrius Guice RB LSU

PCS

37 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

Assuming the character concerns were overblown, my concern with Guise is how his knee holds up over the course of a season. Otherwise he's exactly the kind of RB we need.

That concern exists for every RB in the history of football ever.

https://www.ndtscouting.com/ledyard-examining-the-best-landing-spots-for-the-running-back-class/

Ledyard | Examining the best landing spots for the running back class

Derrius Guice, Washington Redskins

Regardless of rumors for why Guice fell in the draft, the landing spot is all that really matters now. My no. 1 running back in the class, Guice’s fit in Washington couldn’t be more perfect. He hails from a diverse scheme in Washington that has mad backs with an iota of his talent in Matt Jones, Rob Kelley and Samaje Perine look half decent at times. Their offensive line features three stud starters and a front five who knows what they are doing thanks to the teaching of offensive line coach Bill Callahan.

It’s a match made in heavy, as Guice is fully capable of running the Redskins’ zone concepts or pin-and-pulls to the perimeter, while also banging between the tackles for tough yards. He’ll lose some third down opportunities with Chris Thompson in the backfield, but the latter back is always injured, and Jay Gruden could use both players on the field together at times too. Guice’s fall may end up being a huge blessing in disguise.

"This is a hard-nosed runner, plays hard," Redskins coach Jay Gruden said. "He's got some energy, now. Just bottle that up and let that unleash on Sundays, not so much on Thursdays and Fridays. But he's a fun guy to be around."

While Guice won't be eating Skittles for fuel on the sidelines, a la Lynch, the fact that he was the seventh running back selected certainly will drive him.

"That just bumps the notch up," he said. "I already ran angry. I'm going to run angrier than ever. It's going to be tough for teams to bring me down.

"It makes it 10 times worse. It's just a feeling that I have inside of me that I've already ran with since being little and I just feel like it's gotten 10 times worse now. I can't wait to be unleashed on the field."

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/36425/beast-mode-2-0-derrius-guice-hopes-to-be-the-next-marshawn-lynch

Yep. He fell in the draft and the Redskins picked him up. Being a long time fan though,won't get stoked. Been there done that and threw away the jersey several times in the past.  (Keeps reading nothing but good things about Guice and watches lots of videos). 

**** it. I'm stoked. Lets get to the regular season already. :)

6 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Maybe Jay answered that question inadvertently, when saying Chris Thompson is his 3rd down back.

Rest assured, yeah he probably needs work in pass pro, otherwise we'd be hearing its a strength. I may reserve comparing him to Portis when i see him blow up a LB in pass pro. Has the league ever had a more violent pass pro back?

In the cut-ups over at draftbreakdown.com, Guice looks very good at pass pro. In fact, many solid chips are seen and a commentator would highlight it. Guice is always looking for a block, he’s not just waiting for someone to come to him. He did look like he could use some technique with edge rushers who broke past the line. But Guice would at least get some skin on him. 

Guice can catch the ball but it’s usually a swing pass. He had a drop on a flare pass but a LB’s hand got in Guice’s vision. A near-interception. Still the ball hit Guice in the chest and commentators said he needs to catch with his hands and not allow the ball to get too close to his body. 

With regards to utilizing CT and Guice on third downs. I was thinking Perine and Guice. First off, Perine is bigger and would be a better blocker if Guice were to catch a pass out of the backfield. Secondly, Perine might be a decent fullback. So many successful LSU running plays utilized a FB. I could see half of an offensive series where both Guice and Perine are in together. And every now and then, pass on a run down to a wide open H-back, Perine. Plus, utilizing Perine in this fashion could spell Reed on running downs as Perine would be the better run blocker. But, I’m getting way ahead of myself here! 

4 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

See this is exactly where I stand, unless you're a mouse in the corner(in Phillies case a rat in the corner doooohhhh lol)or a fly on the wall in any situation no one knows exactly what happens so this is when comments like this come into play.. at least for me anyway

Reading/listening all that I can find on it -- gives the vibe that he's an off beat guy, gregarious, energetic but a bit high strung and that manifested some in his visits and not always in the best way, coupled with being late and missing things for a visit or two.

Reminds me a little of the Mayfield-Chargers visit which sounded like it didn't go well.  The Browns obviously didn't care.  Doesn't seem like the Redskins care either.

Guice to me is a great back.  As for his zany personality in ways I like that as long as its channeled the right way.

3 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Gruden is probably a good fit for Guice as well. Not just scheme, but Gruden himself is a fairly chilled bloke who I think will know how to man manage Guice.

Yeah, agreed. I'm hoping it's like Pete Carroll with Beast Mode back in the early part of the decade.  I'm in no way saying Gruden is as good of a coach as Carroll, but just that they are both "players' coaches" who know how to manage big personalities.

1. #Redskins Super Bowl odds have improved after the draft. No longer bottom of the league, but not good either. @BovadaLV has Skins at 80/1, tied w AZ. 6 teams lower at 100/1

2. This one a bit more fun though. Guice 18/1 to win Rookie of the Year. Actually kinda like that for a flyer.

DcIacbkUwAEf1F8.jpg

I like those odds too.  He's going to be running behind a better line here than Saquon is in New York.  I could see him getting something like 1200 rushing yards and 9 touchdowns this year.  I think he'll be a quality fantasy RB2 play.  Get him in your keeper leagues now.

13 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I like those odds too.  He's going to be running behind a better line here than Saquon is in New York.  I could see him getting something like 1200 rushing yards and 9 touchdowns this year.  I think he'll be a quality fantasy RB2 play.  Get him in your keeper leagues now.

Yeah, I think it really depends on if CT25 stays healthy or not.  I can see Saquon being on the field much more often than Guice is. Guice probably doesn't get a lot of 3rd down opportunities with a healthy CT25.  Saquon, on the other hand, will pretty much never come off the field.

1 hour ago, JaxJoe said:

With regards to utilizing CT and Guice on third downs. I was thinking Perine and Guice. First off, Perine is bigger and would ve a better blocker if Guice were to catch a pass out of the backfield. Secondly, Perine might be a decent fullback. So many successful LSU running place utilized a FB. I could see half of if a series where both Guice and Perine are in together. And every now and then, pass on a run down to a wide open H-back, Perine. Plus, utilizing Perine in this fashion could spell Reed on running downs as he would be a better run blocker. But, I’m getting way ahead of myself here! 

Perine in front of Guise and CT out in a bunch. 

8 hours ago, Die Hard said:

Gruden places a heavy emphasis on a runningback’s pass pro before giving them an opportunity to play.

I haven’t read much about Guice’s abilities there. Anyone want to chime in?

Needs some coaching on his technique as you can't go low and shoot every defender at the pro-level, but like Portis he's not scared to get in there to lay a hit. 

LOVE seeing plays like this:  https://mobile.twitter.com/BenFennell_NFL/status/825002478374703105/video/1

1 hour ago, Mooka said:

Needs some coaching on his technique as you can't go low and shoot every defender at the pro-level, but like Portis he's not scared to get in there to lay a hit.

LOVE seeing plays like this:  https://mobile.twitter.com/BenFennell_NFL/status/825002478374703105/video/1

Agree on his pass pro. He's a very willing blocker but needs to refine his technique and not always go for a kill shot (as much as I love seeing it); saw him miss a few blocks when he did that instead of squaring up and using his hands and the defender basically just slipped right by him.

As far as that play, this is what I heard in my head when watching that block:

Defender: "Oh, hey look...a pass rushing lane for me!"

Guice: "GTFO NOOB"

I saw one report that sums it all up,” said Gabe Fertitta, Guice’s former offensive coordinator at Catholic High. “The guy, in his report about his character issues, referred to Derrius as chatty.”

Fertitta says Guice’s fun-loving personality has made him a target for critics ahead of Thursday’s first round. He is what Fertitta calls a new generation of kid — a “millennial athlete” who is active on social media, expressing his views, feelings, emotions and conversing with random people on a national platform.

Guice has more than 69,000 followers on Twitter. He has tweeted more than 24,000 times.

“These are some of the first kids who are going to be going to the draft who have had a Twitter account since they could type,” Fertitta said. “He represents a new millennial athlete. He’s not afraid to say what he wants. He doesn’t care.”

Guice calls his activity on social media “important” — a way for him to “interact,” he says, with his large following. He even competes against random fans in the popular multi-player survival game Fortnite.

He publishes clips on Twitter of him playing the game. Some have criticized his game play.

“I always thought it was a good deed that I’m interacting with fans and stuff, and now I’m getting all this backlash from it. I didn’t know I was doing anything wrong. (People) are comparing me to a guy who has committed crimes, been in jail, arrested,” Guice said.

“I’ve never been any of those. I’ve never been arrested, never been in jail, never been suspended,” he continued. “And now I’m getting all of this backlash like I’m a bad person when I haven’t done anything wrong, but interact with fans and play video games.”

+5

...In an interview setting, Guice can be different than others, Fertitta said in defending his former player.

“Derrius is a very jovial, outgoing, big personality,” said Fertitta, who will be in the audience Thursday night along with Weiner. “If he’s in a room with someone who’s uncomfortable and doesn’t have that big personality, I could see how someone could feel intimidated or feel like he’s stealing the show, but that’s just the way the kid is. He doesn’t know a stranger.”

Mike Detillier, a draft analyst for WWL-AM, believes the criticism is the result of sabotage. A crowded running back field in this draft has sparked jockeying among the agents of these tailbacks, he said.

Barkley is the leader of the pack, projected as a top-10 player, but there is a jumble of backs behind him: Guice, Sony Michel from Georgia, Ronald Jones out of Southern Cal and Georgia’s Nick Chubb.

Guice is ranked between Nos. 2-4 on that list, depending on the prognosticator.

“I know where it’s coming from. Every year is it’s the same thing,” Detillier said. “An agent leaks information to someone. It’s dirty pool being done by agents in this business who have the ear of certain writers and reporters.

“ ‘I’m not telling you about my client, but I’ll tell you about somebody else’s client,’ ” Detillier continued. “In the social media world, you write that on a site and it goes viral."

Fertitta received just one questionnaire from an NFL team (the Packers) about Guice. He has not received a single phone call from pro scouts or executives.

“Not one person,” he said. “It leads me to believe they’re not worried about it.”

http://www.wdel.com/sports/national/how-derrius-guice-is-handling-the-criticism-over-his-character/article_ccea9c54-6431-51c5-af1f-686b4b02e7e2.html

6 hours ago, beachboy757 said:

This will actually be an issue with a part of this fanbase.  Not now in the "honeymoon" stage with this kid but trust me it's coming.

Well, it could go two ways.  He could keep tweeting clips of him playing Fortnite and interacting with fans, or he could go this route.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2016/10/13/redskins-sua-cravens-social-media/

22 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

I'm not crying. You're crying. Shut up. 

I could not be more in love with this pick, especially since it got us a tackle as well. I think this kid is going to absolutely destroy the NFL and be the face of our offense for the next decade. We finally have our bell cow running back

9 hours ago, beachboy757 said:

This will actually be an issue with a part of this fanbase.  Not now in the "honeymoon" stage with this kid but trust me it's coming.

Not really. Nobody will care if he's putting up 100 yard games. If he's sucking then we'll trash him no matter what he does or doesn't do on social media.

10 hours ago, beachboy757 said:

Well ya now is the time that everyone is smoking the hopeium about all these guys. Once the games start that gives way to reality of if a guy can play or if he can't. That's what separates the real from the fake, happens every year for everyone. Last year it was Terrelle Pryor. This year it's Guice. Some can play and some can't. Time will tell.

If Guice sucks it up and tweets that will rub me the wrong way for sure. Shut up and play, then you can talk. Don't like guys who try and talk before they show they can play

Archived