Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Avengers Infinity War - HERE BE SPOILERS!

Springfield

57 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Spider-Man will get resurrected.  He's got a sequel coming out in July 2019.

Many a villain have thought the same about Cap before, always to their downfall.  Captain America is Marvel.

Pretty much the only reason I started following the Avengers. In fact Captain America is ONE of the reasons Marvel is kicking DC's tail atm, 

because DC just doesn't have a character as beloved as Cap.

Cap still isn’t on the same level of mainstream popularity and cultural significance as Spider-Man which was my point as one reason of why his death was so shocking. Spidey is top shelf. I was going as Spider-Man for Halloween before I had ever seen the animated show, read a comic book or a movie had come out. Same as Superman or Batman. People know who they are and pretty much always have. 

Cap has become more popular and mainstream than he used to be but he isn’t Spider-Man, Batman or Superman. By that logic Thor is on the same level as Batman because he’s had a lot of movies come out the last decade. 

14 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

They pretty much also axed most of the Guardians, which I thought was rough.  You've got a 50/50 shot of living and IIRC, 80% of that team is gone.

Please, no.  I can't deal.  Gamora hurt enough, and I'm sure she's perma-dead just like Loki and Heimdall.  Don't take any more Guardians from me, please.  :(  

Chris Pratt just confirmed last night that Guardians 3 begins shooting early next year, so we'll see what happens.  #ifdraxdiesweriot

14 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Also, did anyone except comic fans know about and like Batman and Superman before their extremely popular movie franchises got made?

That's a weird question considering how old those two characters are. 

Superman has been around since, what, the 30s?  First Batman TV show was insanely popular back in its heyday.  What's your definition of a comic fan, if you don't mind my asking?  I don't believe everyone respects or understanding how much those two foil each other, but people knew who they were decades ago. Not to mention most of Superman's movies came out before Zach Snyder showed up, and I wouldn't have the heart to say Tim Burton and Prince is what propelled Batman's mainstream popularity.

20 hours ago, Zguy28 said:

I could see them letting him go since they borrowed him back from Sony. I can't imagine Black Panther is goners though.

Spiderman is coming back.

Holland is in the cast for Avengers 4.

Also, the relationship between Sony and Marvel is that Marvel creates the content while Sony collects the movie proceeds.

15 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Also, did anyone except comic fans know about and like Batman and Superman before their extremely popular movie franchises got made?

Yes they did because they had extremely popular live action TV shows and cartoons.  Heck Superman had his own radio series back in the 40s.  I grew up in the 80s but watched the George Reeves Superman TV show from the 50s and the Adam West Batman series.  Super Friends was one of my favorite cartoons.  Remember Batman and Robin quest starring on Scooby Doo? And I wasn't into comics.  

The only Marvel things I remember from those days were Lou Ferrigno's Hulk TV series and Spiderman and Friends cartoon.  Loved the Spiderman cartoon but was scared to death of Ferrigno's Hulk.  

50 minutes ago, drowland said:

Yes they did because they had extremely popular live action TV shows and cartoons.  Heck Superman had his own radio series back in the 40s.  I grew up in the 80s but watched the George Reeves Superman TV show from the 50s and the Adam West Batman series.  Super Friends was one of my favorite cartoons.  Remember Batman and Robin quest starring on Scooby Doo? And I wasn't into comics.  

The only Marvel things I remember from those days were Lou Ferrigno's Hulk TV series and Spiderman and Friends cartoon.  Loved the Spiderman cartoon but was scared to death of Ferrigno's Hulk.  

If you go a little further back there were Fantastic Four cartoons too. The 67's Spider-Man was amazingly popular. They tried Iron Man and a few other cartoons as well.

16 hours ago, Mournblade said:

Pretty much the only reason I started following the Avengers. In fact Captain America is ONE of the reasons Marvel is kicking DC's tail atm, 

because DC just doesn't have a character as beloved as Cap.

Cap ebbs and flows with popular because he's such a square. He's the ultimate goody two shoes, honorable, perfect man. He may even be more of a boy scout than Superman. Still, Cap's got some of the most inspiring, memorable, and cool lines in comicbookdom.

Sometimes, we think we're too cool and cynical for Cap, but we all need heroes that are heroes.

Spiderman was not in danger of being a B-List character.

Thats like saying Batman or Superman are B-List characters because of their movies.

I don't do the comic book stuff, so you can have that realm, but in popular culture Spiderman=>XMen>>everyone else in the Marvel world.

51 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Spiderman was not in danger of being a B-List character.

Thats like saying Batman or Superman are B-List characters because of their movies.

I don't do the comic book stuff, so you can have that realm, but in popular culture Spiderman=>XMen>>everyone else in the Marvel world.

That's debatable now. In popular culture, Avengers has reached that A level status that we saw with X-Men, Spiderman, Batman, and Superman...

What I can't wait to see is who Marvel will make their next Super villain. With the rights they have from Fox, I can't see how they don't use Dr.Doom and introduce the Fantastic 4 to the MCU/

Honestly this Captain America hate is making my blood boil. He's as American as baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet. Why in the world do you think the Avengers movies were so popular? Black Widow? Hawkeye? Scarlett Witch? The Vision? There's one guy who makes that franchise tick, and its the guy in red white and blue.

Cap is Marvel's greatest hero.  Being strong and honest and inspiring universal awe in all of the other hero/character doesn't make you square Burgold.  Cap has been a dynamic and complicated character from day one.  The whole idea of a hero being the greatest in your universe despite being underpowered compared to most others gives you a hint to his complexity.  It's the same dynamic they used to make Wolverine so great and well loved.  They are Marvel's ultimate A-Listers.  Spider-Man is on that tier too, particularly with comics fans.

But he was definitely in danger of becoming far less relevant than the founding Avengers with the younger generation because he was stuck in crappy Sony movies.  These movies and the plethora of Avengers cartoons that have come out since Iron Man was released are kids' window into the Marvel Universe.  The Avengers and the Guardians are Marvel's premier teams now.  Kids love Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Ant-Man, Black Panther, and the Guardians now.  They wouldn't care about Spider-Man if Marvel Studios hadn't gotten his rights.  He'd be going the same way that the X-Men and Fantastic Four have.

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Cap is Marvel's greatest hero.  Being strong and honest and inspiring universal awe in all of the other hero/character doesn't make you square Burgold.  Cap has been a dynamic and complicated character from day one.  The whole idea of a hero being the greatest in your universe despite being underpowered compared to most others gives you a hint to his complexity.  It's the same dynamic they used to make Wolverine so great and well loved.  They are Marvel's ultimate A-Listers.  Spider-Man is on that tier too, particularly with comics fans.

But he was definitely in danger of becoming far less relevant than the founding Avengers with the younger generation because he was stuck in crappy Sony movies.  These movies and the plethora of Avengers cartoons that have come out since Iron Man was released are kids' window into the Marvel Universe.  The Avengers and the Guardians are Marvel's premier teams now.  Kids love Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Ant-Man, Black Panther, and the Guardians now.  They wouldn't care about Spider-Man if Marvel Studios hadn't gotten his rights.  He'd be going the same way that the X-Men and Fantastic Four have.

Unlike Momma, I actually think Tom Holland is a terrible casting choice. Much prefer Tobey Maguire's Spidey of old. 

30 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I have absolutely no interest in the MCU Spider-Man.  He’s a little twerp kid and generally super uninteresting.  

I couldn't disagree more.  The Andrew Garfield and Toby McGuire Spider-Mans were lousy and uninteresting.  The Tom Holland Spider-Man is phenomenal.  A true scene stealer.  It's the most interesting and compelling on-screen portrayal of Spider-Man ever.

Just now, Mournblade said:

Unlike Momma, I actually Tom Holland is a terrible casting choice. Much prefer Tobey Maguire's Spidey of old. 

Ugh, not me.  Toby McGuire is such a dickless dweeb in those movies.  He's not funny at all, which is probably the biggest sin you can commit in casting a Spider-Man.  They did it again with Garfield too.

Spider-Man must be funny.  It is his defining personality trait.

Cap is so Alpha that even Thor defers to him.

I just looked it up and Wolverine, then Spider-Man, then Cap are Marvel's top three most published characters.  Surprisingly enough, Cyclops was number four.  In fact, most of the top 25 are X-Men characters.  It makes me sad to see how far the X-Men have fallen in popularity and prominence.  I definitely wouldn't mind seeing Marvel Studios get a hold of the franchise and resuscitate it.

Archived