Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Michael Cohen/Trump SDNY Investigation Thread

No Excuses

48 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Full financial disclosure of all presidential and vice presidential candidates, all Representative and Senate candidates should be required in the future. 

I am tired of our Republic being open for business.

You and I disagree more often than not.  But I support this 100%.

2 hours ago, No Excuses said:

We now have our first clear connection between the Trump campaign and Russian money. 

Michael Cohen is in big ****ing trouble and the collusion picture is becoming clearer.

Now we know why people were so concerned he would turn on trump. :rofl89:

25 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

And that's the beauty of Extreme Skins!

In addition, I will say another issue I have with politicians in general is lip-service to an issue.  I remember hearing quite a lot about Citizens United during the campaigns.  When was the last time you heard anything about that?  What progress is being made on overturning it or passing legislation to nullify it?  Was a good talking point when running for election but it seems that at the end of the day, all politicians remember who pays their bills.  And it is no longer you and me.

10 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

In addition, I will say another issue I have with politicians in general is lip-service to an issue.  I remember hearing quite a lot about Citizens United during the campaigns.  When was the last time you heard anything about that?  What progress is being made on overturning it or passing legislation to nullify it?  Was a good talking point when running for election but it seems that at the end of the day, all politicians remember who pays their bills.  And it is no longer you and me.

It's going to take a Constitutional amendment to fix the Citizens United decision. The Republicans sure aren't going to let it pass, Trump sure won't sign it, and the Republican state legislatures aren't going to approve it. 

I agree that it's important for our Republic, and I want to see it get to the states. 

But we don't have the Equal Rights for Women approved yet, so....

9 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

It's going to take a Constitutional amendment to fix the Citizens United decision. The Republicans sure aren't going to let it pass, Trump sure won't sign it, and the Republican state legislatures aren't going to approve it. 

I agree that it's important for our Republic, and I want to see it get to the states. 

But we don't have the Equal Rights for Women approved yet, so....

You will not get an argument from me that the GOP isn't going to do the best for the country.  Where are the Dems at keeping the issue in the spotlight?  Hell, Hillary talked about it a lot.  What is she doing with her free time now?  She still has a pulpit she can use.  And it isn't like she has anything left to lose at this point.  Every time some piece of crap legislation is passed, why aren't Dems reminding people that politicians have corporate interests at heart BECAUSE OF Citizens United?  Would have been a perfect reminder to throw out when the tax bill was passed.  I know "both sides" is a dirty phrase around here but both sides are beholden to their corporate masters.  That is why you don't hear about it.  I am sure we will hear a lot about it again in the run up to the 2020 election though.  And it will be forgotten once again after that.

EDIT: Oh and sorry but I don't give a crap about Equal Rights for Women right now.  Priorities should be 1. removing trump 2. fixing Citizens United 3. everything else.

1 hour ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Full financial disclosure of all presidential and vice presidential candidates, all Representative and Senate candidates should be required in the future. 

I am tired of our Republic being open for business.

I'm torn on this.  

1) Are we saying that we expect our politicians to have no right to privacy at all when they run for office?  

2) Why are we asking for Trump's tax returns?  IRS is a federal institution, we already have them.

Politics has become so personal that I'm concerned some really qualified candidates won't run not because they have nothing to hide, but because there's typically nothing left to hide once the campaign is over.  Every friend, every mistake, even your family will be used against you, and its out there for everyone to see and pick apart even if you lose.  There are certain things I want to know, but not everything, does everyone really want to know everything?

Government should be able go through Tax Returns already filed as part of applying to run for any elected office.  It shouldn't be public unless the government determines something illegal or unethical.  The focus in that case would be an audit the public can be made aware of via FIOA or charges that will be made public.  Do candidates have to go through background checks before or after they are elected?  I think it should be before.  Like you should have to prove eligible for the clearance your elected office will be giving you once elected.  That information I'd be very careful with revealing, you can find stuff on damn near everyone, that doesn't mean everyone has the right to know.

I get that we are trying to stop corruption, but that can be done without putting everything out there about people, good or bad.  Just out of curiosity, how many of ya'll look at the tax returns of elected officials before or after they are elected?  Do you just wait for articles to come out if the media finds something bad?  Do you really care, or you just want to find something else to use to get ride of Trump?  I've never asked people this question, so I'm not calling you out, I genuinely have no idea if people really do look at candidates tax returns or just wait for someone to find something bad.

Can't wait to hear Sarah refer all the reporters who ask about this to outside counsel tomorrow. Plus you have to figure they are going to throw Cohen under the bus and claim he was trying to profit off his association with Trump. Though he may know too much for that to happen.

15 minutes ago, Larry said:

You mean, other than the NRA?

It's hard to describe knowing NRA got money from Russia, NRA donated to Trump, but we can't prove that money from Russia went to Trump.  It's treason staring you right in eyes yelling "nana nana boo boo" at you.

30 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

It's hard to describe knowing NRA got money from Russia, NRA donated to Trump, but we can't prove that money from Russia went to Trump.  It's treason staring you right in eyes yelling "nana nana boo boo" at you.

Yet here we are over a yr later. but this things take time(or so I'm told)

I haven't looked at anyone's tax returns. 

I depend on our free and unbiased press to check out candidates'financials. Right now, it apparently doesn't matter because Citizens United. I also agree that the presidential and vice presidential candidates should be able to get clearances prior to that first briefing. If they can't be trusted to have a clearance, they shouldn't be a candidate.

And until we get a Constitutional amendment to fix Citizens United, then we have to have pretty substantial financial disclosure laws.

30 minutes ago, twa said:

Yet here we are over a yr later. but this things take time(or so I'm told)

2nd Amendment doesn't apply overseas, NRA would lose their mind if we applied half of the gun laws Russia has, let alone all of them.

34 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

And until we get a Constitutional amendment to fix Citizens United, then we have to have pretty substantial financial disclosure laws.

Disclosure to who and why?  

If it's that bad, government should be auditing or filing charges. That's a tough sell to say the public has the right to know everything about everyone that runs, then if they lose, they get nothing for it but shame.  It's not that I don't trust the media, its just in light of our agreement about requiring certain elected positions to pass clearance availability before being able to run, we don't need the media to go through that for us.  

We already can see how much people like Koch Brothers are donating to candidates, and that's not stopping the GOP in their tracks.  Very few people have the balls to risk losing the election on either side by turning that money down, even when they don't want it and know what comes with it. Citizens United needs to go (or at least clarify that corporations are not people) and combine with firm campaign finance reform (think we should ban private funding for campaigns and super pacs at minimum).  We don't stand a chance otherwise.

Archived