Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do you Believe??? (Religion)

Renegade7

What is your religious affiliation???  

109 members have voted

1. 1. What does your belief system fall under???

• Monotheistic
    • Non-Monotheistic
    • Agnostic
    • Athiest
    • I don't know right now
    • I don't care right now

3 minutes ago, Bang said:

Simple numbers on survivability. for us to do so, a lot of people need to die, and birth has to be limited. 

no one is going to do anything about that, and we will deplete our resources no matter how much we conserve simply because of the sheer number of people who will need to share them.. as they decrease.

Ill make a separate thread after work then.

the expecting us to sin is a cop out and exactly what i am on about above.

i don't care, i will be morbidly gluttonous, unashamedly greedy, slothful, I will fill my heart with hate. I will cheat on my spouse, i will be violent, and if not overtly, then by supporting violence against those i hate / fear, ..and all the while, i will be proud of it.

and in the end, all i have to do is believe in the almighty fairy, and I get saved.

Thats not how most people roll, just some of us.  I have my feelings on people that do that, but thats a very broad generalization of people that believe in God.  

Personal responsibility: abandoned.

Why bother with it? There is no punishment in their minds. None. None of them are going to hell, they don't even consider it because the whole thing is set up with the Big Cop Out at the end, and everybody gets a trophy.

The best thing the future could do is abandon the myths. Take the responsibility. 

Sorry, i don't mean to be insulting.. i just can't abide the 'logic' behind any of it.

~Bang

You completely skipped over what's happening with this new generation of evangelicals in this country, not to mention people that don't have that fear of God and feel they have nothing to lose either (which you can argue is just as big a problem, maybe even more so as we become more secular, doubt there any many evangelical MS-13 members). 

There's a lot more to Christianity then getting saved, like looking of for less fortunate and people we normally wouldn't reach out to.  What we need is people to stop using religion to justify their hatred for things they don't agree with and then religion will be fine. 

37 minutes ago, Bang said:

Simple numbers on survivability. for us to do so, a lot of people need to die, and birth has to be limited. 

no one is going to do anything about that, and we will deplete our resources no matter how much we conserve simply because of the sheer number of people who will need to share them.. as they decrease.

Not sure if this belongs here or the Obamacare thread.  But this is why I have had a view that healthcare for all should be a very limited form of healthcare.  It sounds crass but it seems we are doing everything we can in an attempt to prove Darwin wrong.

1 minute ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Ah, but if you’re working off the idea that something amazing can’t possibly come from nothing, then the question quickly becomes “well where did god come from?”

No one ever wants to take the logic there.  Which is why I've always believed arguing for God using logic is a losing proposition.  It has to be on faith.

• Like 1

I am sure there's plenty of good work that gets done. I know there is.. and all of that is commendable.

But overall, no, i have no faith in people.  And yes, it is a broad generalization of a lot of people.

But the whole topic is a broad generalization.

I disagree the whole thing isn't geared toward the big cop out at the end.. the whole of it is based on what happens after you're dead. All of it. There are plenty of people who do 

It may be true that this crop of evangelical shysters is a vast minority, but they're strong enough to have inserted the worst president in our history, and have damaged this, country,my country possibly irreparably. It's very possible their fervor in supporting this disaster will result in wars, with potentially millions of people killed. But hey, god will be on their side because their don will tell them so.

So since i  get to hear it chirped at other religions in which minorities stand up and **** things up for everybody, clean up the house if you want to change the opinion of a guy like me. I know many people that go on missions and do good thing.. a guy i play tennis with just got back from a mission with his church in central america helping build things..  then he gets back and he's supporting a racist president's racist policies, parroting all of the lines that typically get parroted about the things driving deep wedges into us.

He doesn't love his neighbor. He pretends to.

Sorry again, i am likely all over the road on this.. much going on in my head today. busy at work and trying to juggle serious thought on this may not be going well, i'm afraid.

~Bang

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Ah, but if you’re working off the idea that something amazing can’t possibly come from nothing, then the question quickly becomes “well where did god come from?”

I have my beliefs that kinda defeat the purpose of faith, as per my conversation with @techboy.  We can talk about it if you want, jus want to throw out that our understanding of what or who God is might not be accurate (and we are getting closer to understanding the possible predecessor of RNA)

@Bang Jews thought they were doing enough to please God despite being warned they weren't before being exiled to Babylon.  I don't think it's fair to say God supports whats going on with older evangelicals or trump base right now, he says to love each and not judge each other.  Jus because they believe God is in lockstep with them doesn't mean he is.

See, again i go back to the cop out.

It  is always so convenient. God is what i want him to be.

Those other folks certainly believe he is on their side. Just because you believe he's not doesn't mean that is true either.

If there is a god, he is Crom.

for Crom cares not for anything but Crom.
THAT i could believe. At least that makes sense in full view of everything.

~Bang

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bang said:

Those other folks certainly believe he is on their side. Just because you believe he's not doesn't mean that is true either.

~Bang

I don't see that as a cop out to say there are example after example after example of people in the bible thinking they were straight and getting their ass kicked by God, King David comes to mind.  What's happened is the Church and organized religion have been used as a means of control and justifying taking sides for so long that we think thats its purpose, its not. 

Jesus is a raging liberal compared to a lot of these people claiming to be conservative.  Attaching something like abortion to Jesus is BS, examples babies dying in the womb were treated as property loss in old testament, not murder.  

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1856049

Exodus 21:22-25 describes a case where a pregnant woman jumps into a fight between her husband and another man and suffers injuries that cause her to miscarry. Injuries to the woman prompt the normal penalties for harming another human being: an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a life for a life. Killing the woman is murder, a capital crime.

The miscarriage is treated differently, however — as property loss, not murder. The assailant must pay a fine to the husband. The law of a life for a life does not apply. The fetus is important, but it’s not human life in the same way the pregnant woman is.

What religion is meant for and terrible examples of what its being used for are two separate issues rooted in the duality of human nature.  I'm not trying to change your mind, jus reacting to an unfair misconception while people who don't believe in God have a similar cop out of nothing to worry about no matter what they do.  

• Like 2

I’ve had a hell of a time lately reasoning what happens to me when I die.  Non-religious, I think you just cease to exist, the end.

I fear death.  I fear not being around to see what happens with my wife, my kids, my friends.  I’m at the stage in life where quality of life gradually decreases.  Hair losses, sleep gets worse, strange aches and pains, lingering injuries.  I’m at the age where men can randomly die.

I don’t feel any solace in dying, there’s nothing after this.  It makes me sad.

Maybe one day I’ll find god.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I’ve had a hell of a time lately reasoning what happens to me when I die.  Non-religious, I think you just cease to exist, the end.

I fear death.  I fear not being around to see what happens with my wife, my kids, my friends.  I’m at the stage in life where quality of life gradually decreases.  Hair losses, sleep gets worse, strange aches and pains, lingering injuries.  I’m at the age where men can randomly die.

I don’t feel any solace in dying, there’s nothing after this.  It makes me sad.

Maybe one day I’ll find god.

Exactly where I'm at.  I like being here, I don't wanna leave.  Living is pretty cool. 

When we die, it's simply lights out.  And that is a friggin' bummer. 

14 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

NSFW - Language...

Either there are laws not being enforced or need to be made about religious fraud.  Our government's relationship with the church is beyond too one-sided.  We should sopenaing leaders of the Catholic Church right now in regards to this child abuse thing.  Go further and say any religious organization that pulls in a certain level if profit no longer gets religious protections in regards to tax law.

2 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Not sure if this belongs here or the Obamacare thread.  But this is why I have had a view that healthcare for all should be a very limited form of healthcare.  It sounds crass but it seems we are doing everything we can in an attempt to prove Darwin wrong.

Fair point, though maybe for another thread id like to hear your version of "limited".  Darwin talked about the weak dying off only leaving the strong to help propel posrive changes in a species.  Being poor is only a genetic disposition because if who your parents are, being rich is not an evolutionary advantage. 

Challenge of our species will always be getting off this rock so we don't completely deplete it because we are completely dependent on it.  In context of this thread, we should be treating people that are sick regardless of resources, onus is on us to figure how to do that.  I weary of my opinion on who shouldn't get free health care because i know one day someone close to me will need it (ive actually already been through that, couple unnecessary funerals).  I also coulda for the help i needed sooner if i could've afforded it in my late teens early 20s.

2 hours ago, Bang said:

~Bang

It's been a bit since I've been in a good "is there a god" debate but when I do, I almost always end up using the phrase "if there is a God, he does not deserve to be worshipped but instead feared."

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Fair point, though maybe for another thread id like to hear your version of "limited".  Darwin talked about the weak dying off only leaving the strong to help propel posrive changes in a species.  Being poor is only a genetic disposition because if who your parents are, being rich is not an evolutionary advantage. 

Well economic mobility is another issue that would need to be addressed. But, especially if it was, then an argument could be made that those that could afford more high level care were "stronger."  Would it be perfect? No.  Sometimes the best soldier still ends up catching a bullet.  But IN GENERAL, the better soldiers live longer.

Well economic mobility is another issue that would need to be addressed. But, especially if it was, then an argument could be made that those that could afford more high level care were "stronger."  Would it be perfect? No.  Sometimes the best soldier still ends up catching a bullet.  But IN GENERAL, the better soldiers live longer.

Cream rising to the top in regards to social mobility?  I can see this argument in regards to limit resources.  We're gonna have our feelings on what should be done to help with social mobility, though id also say this is a challenge we cant run from, it will effect everyone eventually so were better off meeting that challenge in the face on our terms.

That "best solider sometimes catches a bullet anyway " line is, deep, im gonna use that.

Edited by Renegade7

6 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

There's a male G-spot?

And it's in the ass??

That was my initial reaction as well when i saw that meme.  Apparently. its the prostate.  I'm going to go on record and say I'm good on that one, defenitly a feature I don't plan to use, thanks anyway, God.

https://www.askmen.com/sex/male-g-spot.html

There are many ways to ignite the pleasure of the male G-spot (more on that below!) but first, you need to know where it is. Singer explains that you might be surprised to discover this special place is actually located inside of the male prostate. “It’s a gland about the size of a walnut, and it’s located right under a man’s bladder,” she says.

When you start to seek it out, proceed with caution and don’t go too hard, too fast. “The prostate is located behind the anal wall in the direction of your belly button (two to four inches from the sphincter). Be careful! The prostate is very sensitive. Do not poke and prod, instead caress and stroke. Press gently. Use feather-light touches,” Michael Alvear, founder of CallMeMaybe.us, says. “You’re looking for a walnut-sized fleshy ball hiding behind the anal wall. Finding it is a little like playing hide-and-seek, only you’re using your finger rather than your eyes.

I have more questions when I get upstairs now.