Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vaya Con Dios, Manny! The plight of the 2018 Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

OMFG. Looks like we are where we left off last night.

Kills me as a lifelong fan to see us so difficient in starting pitching. Growing up, we always had a rich history of great starting pitching.

And as great as OPACY is, I hate that it’s a bandbox. Our pitchers suffer and we only build a roster of bashers and not a well rounded roster. 

Yeah, it’s early in the game. Come on Kevin. 

* Oh, and have I mentioned how much I HATE these exaggerated shifts by all teams. It’s stupid. 

Best part of today’s game: Sisco immediately bunts to third to beat the shift. After which I almost wanted Davis to strike out for not doing that all series but fortunately the ump missed an obvious called third strike on him.

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

Best part of today’s game: Sisco immediately bunts to third to beat the shift. 

Apparently Dozier of the Twins was butt hurt about it. Like, man. Don’t shift then. 

Gausman always sucks in his first start. It’s like clockwork. Glad I missed every pitch of this one. 

28 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Apparently Dozier of the Twins was butt hurt about it. Like, man. Don’t shift then. 

Gausman always sucks in his first start. It’s like clockwork. Glad I missed every pitch of this one. 

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/brian-dozier-and-the-twins-are-upset-the-orioles-chance-sisco-tried-to-help-his-team-win/

Translation: "We're very upset Sisco and the Orioles didn't just roll over and lose in the ninth inning. How dare they try."

That is, of course, completely ridiculous. Surely the Twins would have had no problem with one of their players doing what Sisco did. Dozier would credit him for doing what it takes to win and taking what he's given, blah blah blah. And questioning the O's veteran leadership? What in the world is that? Seems to me a team refusing to go down quietly has pretty good leadership.

Dozier is a dumb***. I pretty much hate unwritten rules in baseball, but especially when it comes to how a batter is supposed to only do certain things late in no hitters and perfect games. Maybe the only one I subscribe to that I can think of now is stealing late in a game in which you are up big.

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

Best part of today’s game: Sisco immediately bunts to third to beat the shift. After which I almost wanted Davis to strike out for not doing that all series but fortunately the ump missed an obvious called third strike on him.

How much pride do these guys have? I would understand if Davis was hitting around .300 and 50 homers a year. I heard Thorne talking about Ted Williams and how he used to hit through the shift. Great, if you are Ted Williams. But Davis is hitless on the year and has an OBP of .143. And this is coming off a .215 and .221 years. I wonder how many more hits he would have if they didn't play the shift, which he could get them out of a little more often if he'd throw down some bunts. 

1 minute ago, Redskin4ever said:

How much pride do these guys have? I would understand if Davis was hitting around .300 and 50 homers a year. I heard Thorne talking about Ted Williams and how he used to hit through the shift. Great, if you are Ted Williams. But Davis is hitless on the year and has an OBP of .143. And this is coming off a .215 and .221 years. I wonder how many more hits he would have if they didn't play the shift, which he could get them out of a little more often if he'd throw down some bunts. 

Every lefty that faces the shift should work their tails off to be able to lay down a mediocre bunt to beat the shift. Sisco's bunt was great but it didn't even need to be that good. 

12 hours ago, Hersh said:

Dozier is a dumb***. I pretty much hate unwritten rules in baseball, but especially when it comes to how a batter is supposed to only do certain things late in no hitters and perfect games. Maybe the only one I subscribe to that I can think of now is stealing late in a game in which you are up big.

Sisco was doing his job. It's the defense's job to set themselves up to make an out. Don't get mad because someone beat your shift.

O's needed basrunners and Sisco got on base. I get that the game was very very likely to be lost. But blaming the guy for trying is clownish. Implying that he is stat padding is also laughable. What's he supposed to do? Hit a grand slam with the bases empty?

18 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

**** the Twins for complaining about the bunt late against the shift. If it was such a big deal to bunt late in a 7 run game, then why are you even shifting in that situation anyway? Whiners. 

Thats exactly right. Why shift if the game is over. Play straight up and take your chances. 

Speaking as someone who grew up playing baseball and did so for a number of years, I do believe in a lot of the unwritten rules but this is horse****, for two reasons.  One, the perfect game/no hitter was already broken up because of the double earlier in the game, and two, they were in a shift.  I can't get behind this complaint.

We need Cobb bad. Tillman is not a #4. He’d be ok as a #5. 

But it as crappy as the starters have been, the bats are worse. Literally dead, useless, lifeless. 

DD needs to go to the Locker room and tell the whole roster they are all  on notice. No one is untradable. 

Archived