Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vaya Con Dios, Manny! The plight of the 2018 Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

It is remarkable that they haven't scored a run off a starter in four games. I will say that the starters have had really good stuff. Even Jim Palmer said that and he's brutally honest about the O's sucking. Still, you'd think that someone would luck into a ball for a home run. 

The best thing about this team showing its true colors from day one (rather than needing into June to tank last year) is that it should give the front office more than enough time to socialize the need for a fire sale. I'm sick of rooting for two teams who can never realistically assess their chances to contend and hold assets far too long. 

10 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Schoop with a Solomon the first gets the O’s on the board. 

Mancini misplays a long fly ball and turns the end of the inning into a 2 run inside the park HR. 

Literally one step forward, two steps back. Ugh. 

I think Jones misplayed it worse,

7 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

When is it late enough to pull the plug on Davis? Can they just admit it was a mistake and cut him? 

This Davis at leadoff idea will not go down as one of Buck's best moments.  Now, I'm sure Buck will say something about patience, but it could not be going worse.

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I thought they'd be bad, I didn't think they'd be THIS bad.  They usually start off pretty hot and fade along the way.  

I've been looking forward to baseball season and watching the Orioles for months but I already feel apathetic.  I hate this.

And Mike Wright had the second best start of the week.

Basically Dylan Bundy is the only one on the whole roster that realized these games actually count. 

49 minutes ago, justice98 said:

This Davis at leadoff idea will not go down as one of Buck's best moments.  Now, I'm sure Buck will say something about patience, but it could not be going worse.

I just can’t figure this one out. You put your least disciplined hitter at leadoff, not to mention your worst hitter period. By definition, he’s most likely to get the most at bats on the team hitting leadoff. Why would you want him there? This makes zero sense. Maybe Buck wants to give it a week, but this is an utter disaster having him bat leadoff. 

12 minutes ago, Redskin4ever said:

I just can’t figure this one out. You put your least disciplined hitter at leadoff, not to mention your worst hitter period. By definition, he’s most likely to get the most at bats on the team hitting leadoff. Why would you want him there? This makes zero sense. Maybe Buck wants to give it a week, but this is an utter disaster having him bat leadoff. 

The only other person on the team who would be even remotely competent up there is Manny.  He's slashing a .296/.362/.497 in the leadoff spot in 541 ABs (vast majority of which came in 2015).  Nobody else is even close to performing that well at any point.  Oddly enough, his career splits seem to suggest if you wanted to think outside the box, that was the move.  I get it though, he mashes in the 2 hole.  

You gotta blame Duquette for this fiasco at the top of the order. 

Now, I'm all for unconventional baseball thinking, but they built an entire roster without one person with a good approach, that will work a count and get on base consistently.  Sisco might actually wind up being the best guy they have for that in a couple years.  

I personally woulda brought back Seth Smith rather than Rasmus.  He did what we needed him to do and you could stick him up there at leadoff a few times a week. 

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

I'm not talking about the leadoff experiment. If he's going to play, I almost prefer to get that first K out of the way with no one on base. I mean when is it too soon just to cut the guy? He's cooked. 

29 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'm not talking about the leadoff experiment. If he's going to play, I almost prefer to get that first K out of the way with no one on base. I mean when is it too soon just to cut the guy? He's cooked. 

They dont have the luxury of cutting people and eating $100 mil.  

2 hours ago, Redskin4ever said:

On the contrary, Davis is more disciplined than he appears to be.  He's the only one with a .100 point separation between his batting average and OBP.  IIRC, that's been pretty consistent throughout his career.  In other words, his on base skills aren't propped up by his batting average, unlike a player like Trumbo who has to hit .280 to have a .290 on base percentage.

The problem here is that Davis' hitting skills altogether have gone off a cliff.  He's terrible.  If he was able to hit .250 his on base would be a respectable .350.  He will struggle to hit .200 this year at this rate.

I agree with @justice98on this, this one squarely sits on DD's shoulders.  He's not been able to address the OBP issue for years now and it shows.  I've said it a million times on here, this team only scores when hitting the ball out of the park.  There are no OBP skills throughout the lineup, there's no possible way this team can manufacture a run if they had to.  There's no speed, no one can swipe a base.  It's a lumbering, plodding station to station offense that relies on the longball and because no one can figure out a way to get on base and due to that you have stretches like this where they simply don't score.

Manny has some better OBP skills, he should be hitting leadoff at this point.  

Hey atleast we scored some runs....In all seriousness we have a brutal schedule to start. 4 with the Yankees after this. Things will start evening out eventually. Especially when Cobb comes into play and I’d feel like we have a shot every night Tillman doesn’t start.

10 minutes ago, GOSKINS_08 said:

Hey atleast we scored some runs....In all seriousness we have a brutal schedule to start. 4 with the Yankees after this. Things will start evening out eventually. Especially when Cobb comes into play and I’d feel like we have a shot every night Tillman doesn’t start.

Yea. We scored some runs. Got a lousy break with Mancini whiffing on that ball, and then two innings later her gets robbed of a 3 run HR.

I say we win today! 

7 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I thought they'd be bad, I didn't think they'd be THIS bad.  They usually start off pretty hot and fade along the way.  

I've been looking forward to baseball season and watching the Orioles for months but I already feel apathetic.  I hate this.

Think of this year as a transition year. Before too long, maybe the end of May, we will see Hays starting in RF, Tanner Scott may be up along with another veteran lefty in the pen. One or both rule-5 pitchers will be gone. Alvarez will be gone. Rasmus will be gone. We will definitely see Hunter Harvey later this season if he's pitching well at Bowie. Or we will see Kegan Akin if he is pitching better than Harvey. DD will finally trade Britton, Manny and maybe Brach. Not sure if Jones gets moved of they try to extend him. 

This is my hope. I'm fully prepared for my hopes to be crushed. 

4 hours ago, justice98 said:

Now, I'm all for unconventional baseball thinking, but they built an entire roster without one person with a good approach, that will work a count and get on base consistently.  Sisco might actually wind up being the best guy they have for that in a couple years.  

This is a little much. Mancini goes opposite field a lot. Jones will occasionally along with lay down bunts. Schoop, when he gets on a roll will show his right center field power. Same with Manny. 

Archived