Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

11 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

All im saying is, take his stats through 6 games. Extrapolate for the season and add in a 10/15% improvement. Gets him to a 4000 yard season and 100+ QB rating. Puts him easily top ten compared to last years outturn stats for mainstream QB's. Probably also gets the team to 11-5.

Bad? I consider that a QB who cracks under pressure and knows how to lose tough/ugly games. Smith isn't great, I get that. But a bad QB doesn't get us to 4-2 irrespective of any other factor. So I think he's been average, very borderline above. 

I'm not suggesting it isn't that simple a factor. But....he will generally not lose us many games. Even at average QB play, or bad as you say, we get to 4-2 with a real shot at 5-2. 

I do agree though that he needs to improve for us to meaningfully progress. I will leave it at that.

So, you're saying that for him to be ok, we have to pad everything by 15% and then compare, not to 2018, but 2017?

Wow, that is a lot of mental gymnastics to go through.

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

Sure it is. Make a guy 15% better than he has shown, and then not compare him to the current season.

I think maybe he's throwing that in there as a hope/assumption that things will get at least a little better once Alex gets more comfortable with the system and has more chemistry with his receivers. I'm not convinced that will happen, but I'd certainly be relieved if it did.

11 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think maybe he's throwing that in there as a hope/assumption that things will get at least a little better once Alex gets more comfortable with the system and has more chemistry with his receivers. I'm not convinced that will happen, but I'd certainly be relieved if it did.

Maybe, but that is not what he said. He said, right now, he's average to slightly above average.

Then, if you add 10-15% to that, and then compare him to last year, he's top 10.

Not 2018. But 2017

And he has to get that 10-15% better, and that is not automatically going to happen. And to be blunt, outside of completion % he's having a typical AS year that doesn't have Tyreek Hill. So I find his original statement to be untrue, and that the rest of it, comparing inflated stats to a year that wasn't as pass happy (due to a rule change that has changed how defenses attack the QB) is trying to push a narrative.

8 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

He is better and younger than our current QB, who also cost us a good young corner and a 3rd. In 3 years the Vikes will still have a productive QB where the Redskins will try their luck in the draft, the same draft that produced the names Heath Shuler, Jason Campbell, Patrick Ramsey and Robert Griffin.  

Cousins might be a free agent in 2021 so maybe Dan can sign Kirk, after all, Snyder has no problem playing premiums to guys on other teams.

(sarcasm) 

5 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'm pretty balanced and want Smith to succeed. So I am all about looking for positives or maybe under-the-radar things he's doing that we don't obviously see. But, when it comes to turnovers, he's only thrown 2 interceptions through 6 games so that's good (comfortably on pace for single-digits). But he has fumbled 6 times. So that's 8 times in 6 games he's had a potential turnover. 

I don't know what the league average is so I looked at Cousins so far. He has 1 more interception (in 100 more passes, so they have the same INT%) and 2 more fumbles (again, in ~ 100 more dropbacks). They've played one more game than we have. My point...it seems like Smith isn't doing anything different than the last guy when it comes to protecting the ball (or Cousins has gotten much better at it). 

I wasn’t comparing the two. 

It’s more nuanced than just stats, not that stats don’t have a part in any argument. When, where and how the TOs take place must be evaluated, you know? Alex hasn’t had any back breaking TOs to date. This is not absolve him from other areas of poor play. 

Heard a stat that Skins opponents have started 3 drives in Skins territory this season. These are kind of stats fans of team will have to explore to buy into Alex. It’s a choice and not the best one, as there are better QBs than Alex in the league, but these are intangibles Alex seems to be incredibly mindful about. . No, he hasn’t led the team to a 4-2, but hes contributed. 

46 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Cousins might be a free agent in 2021 so maybe Dan can sign Kirk, after all, Snyder has no problem playing premiums to guys on other teams.

He only brings back ex-Redskins once they are too old to contribute. For Kirk, that will be about the year 2026.

56 minutes ago, wit33 said:

It’s more nuanced than just stats, not that stats don’t have a part in any argument. When, where and how the TOs take place must be evaluated, you know? Alex hasn’t had any back breaking TOs to date. This is not absolve him from other areas of poor play. 

Heard a stat that Skins opponents have started 3 drives in Skins territory this season. These are kind of stats fans of team will have to explore to buy into Alex. It’s a choice and not the best one, as there are better QBs than Alex in the league, but these are intangibles Alex seems to be incredibly mindful about. . No, he hasn’t led the team to a 4-2, but hes contributed. 

I kind of feel there are a dozen reasons we are 4-2 before we get to Alex Smith. I can argue the kicker is a bigger reason.  We need better QB play, that is clear to me.  

13 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I kind of feel there are a dozen reasons we are 4-2 before we get to Alex Smith. I can argue the kicker is a bigger reason.  We need better QB play, that is clear to me.  

No doubt, he needs to play better. 

He must do better situationally and it’s nice to hear him echo and lament this as well. 

1 hour ago, Tsailand said:

He only brings back ex-Redskins once they are too old to contribute. For Kirk, that will be about the year 2026.

LOL, you’re right.  That said, I think if Cousins ever returns to DC, which I consider doubtful, I think it is more likely he does so as Representative Cousins, Senator Cousins or even President Cousins than signing up for a second tour with Snyder.  

1 hour ago, Veryoldschool said:

LOL, you’re right.  That said, I think if Cousins ever returns to DC, which I consider doubtful, I think it is more likely he does so as Representative Cousins, Senator Cousins or even President Cousins than signing up for a second tour with Snyder.  

I've never been to a playoff game, I'd fly up if its versus Minny to either stadium.  The intrigue would be insane.  Kirk -Alex - Peterson.  Wow.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've never been to a playoff game, I'd fly up if its versus Minny to either stadium.  The intrigue would be insane.  Kirk -Alex - Peterson.  Wow.

The story lines would be nuts.

Kirk, going back to the place he 'wasn't good enough"

Adrian, going back to the place that "thought he was done".

Lots of things for media and fans to talk about, for sure.

6 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

That's a great point that should be realized by everyone. He has been what this iteration of the team needs. What I really hope happens is that he can do more if/when it's needed. 

4-2 and looking at a series of winnable games feels pretty good.  I don't really know what Alex is capable of doing, maybe we've seen it but as you say we may see more down the road if needed.  We needed a warrior capable of trading punches with Brees to say in that game and Smith didn't even seem willing or able to give it a try.  Maybe we've seen what he can do or maybe he's got more to give but right now the Skins are 4-2 with a lot of mediocre or worst teams on the roster so thoughts winning a division title and double-digit wins are not absurd after 6 games and I am happy.

22 hours ago, wit33 said:

Exactly right. Couldn't agree more. If our QB had been 'bad' we would not be 4-2.

We are all now hopeful for more from this point on. 

15 hours ago, bobafett14 said:

how are you guys doing on third down and in the redzone? LOL

I presume this is for the benefit of the Alex Smith ex-Chief fans who are now Redskins fans?  I presume those people might have debated Alex is better than Mahomes on the KC fan boards?  Otherwise don't get the point because I don't recall people arguing here about Mahomes versus Alex.

Saying that because 99.9% of this board who were Redskins fans prior to the trade never claimed Alex > Mahomes.  Heck a bunch of us (me included) didn't like the Alex trade.   

I’m Good with Alex honestly but I do think we need to identify a young guy as soon as possible and give him a year or 2.

I do think it’s hilarious though that every year we crown a young qb as the greatest after 1 year and then they fizzle out (rg3, Carr, bortles, Watson, luck to some extent). We need to scale back and let these guys get some lumps bc mahomes might be great but even Rodgers and rothlisburger took their lumps

12 hours ago, Burger35 said:

I’m Good with Alex honestly but I do think we need to identify a young guy as soon as possible and give him a year or 2.

I do think it’s hilarious though that every year we crown a young qb as the greatest after 1 year and then they fizzle out (rg3, Carr, bortles, Watson, luck to some extent). We need to scale back and let these guys get some lumps bc mahomes might be great but even Rodgers and rothlisburger took their lumps

More and more I want to see this happen.  There was a run on the emphasis that the best way to win was to get a QB and throw them to the fire... build the team up and do whatever you can to while they're on their rookie deal.... problem is those teams hit a wall once they need to re-sign their QB... just look at Russell Wilson and Seattle.  

5-2 and Alex’s critics can skidoo!

I am proudly sitting on the Alex Smith bandwagon pretending I never left it and I knew this would workout all along and thinking that the FO  might not be total idiots afterall because the big boy football team they built is winning.  Yes, I aware they got very lucky finding AP sitting at home fit and ready to go but I am feeling very generous!

I feel terrible complaining when we're 5-2 but Alex is without a doubt one of the top 5 worst Redskins starting QB's I have seen in 35 years.

I want Colt, I don't care about the talking heads who think its crazy, we're crazy if we let Alex ruin our season.

Archived