Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 8

Voice_of_Reason

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

He just showed up too late. There is no buildup there so we never really grew to love to hate him.

I miss Ramsey Snow.

My problem with Euron (and really all the other characters is that they're all good OR bad, the flip sure, but they are never in between. 

Cersei: why is she always portrayed "evil"? She's a daughter STILL gunning for daddy's approval. She's got an axe to grind with everyone that humiliated her and killed her kids. She's just an angry momma bear.

I enjoy characters like Bronn, they are realistic. He's motivated by money but is conflicted because of his friendship with Jamie and Tyrion—but he grew up young, hungry, scrappy and refuses to go back to that life. Sansa too, but she hasn't shown her dark, ruthless side yet. Hinted, yes. The Hound, Arya (to a degree) are great too. 

But anyway, you couldn't kill off a lot of characters because they still had scores to settle. Clegane bowl, who kills Cersei (Tyrion or Jamie)(I think it's Jamie), Davos could've died—he's got no more story left.Arya still needs to kill Cersei (the list). Or Arya can die now as she has fulfilled her role in life, and Beric kept her alive to kill the NK. Tyrion's there to manage and govern the aftermath. Sam needs to survive because he's ultimately the writer of "A Song of Ice and Fire".

Breanne, Pod, Tormund, Davos, and Varys could've died last night. Not sure what story they have left.

12 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Thats fine, Id have preferred that. Show her walking on the wall around the godswood, jumping onto a branch and then jumping down. 

Or when Bran looks up at the NK from

his angle we can see Arya in the tree above the NK and then she jumps. What a surprise that would have been. Would have been really cool actually 

I feel you, think they tried to distract us much as possible from that's what Arya was leaving that room to do for maximum shock value.  Like after credits review said, they knew Arya was killing the NK three seasons ago, maybe they forgot that we didnt?

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Pretty much all of the crying I am reading today is just that the story didn't go the direction they wanted it to.  Which is okay I guess, but there is also clearly some valid criticism.

But that dude above hit it on the head about how many of those same people are crying about the show doing too much fan service, then crying when it doesn't do what they (fans) want it todo.

I feel like ending shows like this is ALWAYS so challenging. They rarely live up to what the fans want and have been theorizing for years. Because of that, the writers/producers are faced with two options:

1) End it cleanly and tie it up nicely (which makes a lot of people happy but disappoints the passionate folks who created theories)

2) Do something profound our out-of-the-box (which is HARD but also will disappoint more people)

It seems like in GoT (assuming the NK is truly dead), they decided that more people would like the ultimate battle to be between the old-school rivalries. They cleaned up this threat and will spend the rest of the time cultivating the north vs. Kings Landing, etc. 

It's not unlike LOST in a way...I remember people had so many theories about how that would end, what it all meant, etc. and in the end the explanation and conclusion was pretty tame. 

• Like 1

I’m glad not too many people died.  I’ll be happy if not too many more die, though I expect will get some more key deaths including some major characters before the season is over.  

I was a little surprised that Davos and Greyworm and Missandie and some others all survived, but not really upset.  I was actually really relieved after the episode that a lot of these characters would be around for a little longer.  I do wonder about Davos and Varys though.  They don’t really have much left to do except maybe work on improving Westeros.  But it’s possible a lot of characters get killed during backstabbing and infighting later.  

Also while I would have liked to see a bit more fighting by the WWs, they likely were doing a lot during the battle to put out fires and create the snow and wind that was causing such havoc, as well as controlling wights.  

2 minutes ago, visionary said:

I’m glad not too many people died.  I’ll be happy if not too many more die, though I expect will get some more key deaths including some major characters before the season is over.  

I was a little surprised that Davos and Greyworm and Missandie and some others all survived, but not really upset.  I was actually really relieved after the episode that a lot of these characters would be around for a little longer.  I do wonder about Davos and Varys though.  They don’t really have much left to do except maybe work on improving Westeros.  But it’s possible a lot of characters get killed during backstabbing and infighting later.  

Also while I would have liked to see a bit more fighting by the WWs, they likely were doing a lot during the battle to put out fires and create the snow and wind that was causing such havoc, as well as controlling wights.  

Someone had to cross the torches to signal to light the trenches /s.

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

2. My wife was BAWLING during the last ten minutes. Jorah's death got a reaction out of her that last occurred when he had to put our dog down. Thank god Ghost lived or I would be at Menninger Clinic today with a cataonic wife.

She was just having flashbacks to the guy she friendzoned all through college

• Haha 1

The more I think about it the more I dislike the fact that the white walkers on the horses with the spears did absolutely nothing. They were the bad mofos and we only saw like one fight Jon (Hardhome episode) and that was it during the entire season right? The episode was awesome for a few scenes but I the more I think about it the more disappointed with the ending. I’ve watched since day one and killing the NK was just too easy, I was hoping for a way more shocking ending to that episode.  Their was just so much buildup to who the NK actually was and then boom he’s dead nothing, Bran says nothing also and only tells Theon thanks. I hope they got something good for the last 3 episodes. 

• Like 1

Been going back and watching some of the old scenes involving Arya and her training and specifically her first meeting Melisandre. Makes what she did last night even more awesome. 

It was definitely the Arya, Melisandre show last night with Theon’s full redemption being a great subplot. Best scenes: Melisandre pep talk and Bran-Theon talks. 

If folks wanna be bummed by all the anticlimactic stuff going on, be mad at George RR Martin.

Once that fat lazy **** got paid, he dropped the whole thing like a hot potato.

I’m pretty sure HBO reached out to him about tying it all up and he probably replied  in one paragraph. If he can’t get himself out of the corner he painted himself in, then what are the writers supposed to do.

I started out being one of the book guys, but once the show wraps, I doubt I’ll even read whatever that piece of crap puts out if he ever does... I’m sure HBOs version will be more satisfying.

Edited by hawgboy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So....how did Mellisandre know the whole "What do we say to the god of death?" spiel? I got a chill when that happened.

You dudes do know that the show has to end sometime, right?

My thoughts on the whole "It was too easy" thing. That's the only way this could end. It's an overwhelming foe. It wiped out the entire Dotrhraki in one minute. The dragons were largely useless against them. The only way this can make work is if the Big Bad has an Achilles that ends the whole thing. She stabbed in the place he was created in the first place. That's somewhat poetic, I guess.

Honestly, everyone who analyzes the battles like old men at a conference in Gettysburg are kind of missing the point.

Also, I hope Martin releases two books that are basically just word for word transcripts of the show.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, hawgboy said:

If folks wanna be bummed by all the anticlimactic stuff going on, be mad at George RR Martin.

Once that fat lazy **** got paid, he dropped the whole thing like a hot potato.

I’m pretty sure HBO reached out to him about tying it all up and he probably replied  in one paragraph. If he can’t get himself out of the corner he painted himself in, then what are the writers supposed to do.

I started out being one of the book guys, but once the show wraps, I doubt I’ll even read whatever that piece of crap puts out if he ever does... I’m sure HBOs version will be more satisfying.

This is a valid point, if people are mad, be mad at Martin for leaving HBO to figure out how to end this for him.  I was fine with it, theres really no way to beat fast zombies except some kinda miracle.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, max21 said:

The more I think about it the more I dislike the fact that the white walkers on the horses with the spears did absolutely nothing. They were the bad mofos and we only saw like one fight Jon (Hardhome episode) and that was it during the entire season right? The episode was awesome for a few scenes but I the more I think about it the more disappointed with the ending. I’ve watched since day one and killing the NK was just too easy, I was hoping for a way more shocking ending to that episode.  Their was just so much buildup to who the NK actually was and then boom he’s dead nothing, Bran says nothing also and only tells Theon thanks. I hope they got something good for the last 3 episodes. 

Yeah the singular point of almost the entirety of the episode was that the humans were completely overmatched by the WW army.  They teased a NK - Jon Snow fight but squashed that with the way an almost smirking NK just stood there and raised his hands to raise the dead while Jon was hurrying to get close enough.  The NK surviving the dragon breath.  It was a scene of overwhelming despair.

Everything was portrayed the way it was to show that this was a fight that was going to rely on a miracle to win.  Overconfidence was the NK's ultimate downfall.  And they had to show how he came to develop that degree of overconfidence.  A less overconfident foe could easily have just overran Bran with his minions, but no they all stood back until the NK marched in and stood face to face with him.  NK grew overconfident and it cost him.

I also disagree with those saying that the WW were the central part of this story.  They weren't.  The name of the show is Game of Thrones, not the Walking Dead.  Ultimately the show should be more focused on who wins the Game, who sits on the Throne.

The White Walkers for their part fulfilled their role.  Their presence developed Jon into who he was to become.  Their presence impacted what Dany has left to fight for the throne and drove her and Jon together.  Ultimately, if Jamie kills Cersei, it will be because of how they each responded to the threat of the White Walkers.

For everyone listing all these folks they wouldn't mind dying because their arc is complete, I offer the same holds true for the White Walkers.  Barring just another zombie apocalypse show, the White Walkers were never going to win.  But to say they didn't have any bearing on the ultimate story of who sits on the throne hasn't been paying attention.

Edited by Epochalypse
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Hersh said:

I think that’s completely wrong. Fan service is about having happy, feel good endings where all the main characters survive. That is not what this show has been about. It’s not fan service that demands main characters get got, it's what the story demands. 

They could’ve just had a main character die while fighting the NK or a couple WW and not as saving someone but good points on how many have actually died. 

Some of it just felt too much like Glenn falling off the dumpster in walking dead. 

I liked the episode overall.  But I do think it would have been more impactful if a major character had died distracting the NK while Aria went in for the kill.

one possibility: the Hound overcomes his fire phobia and uses Berrick's flaming sword to engage the NK while Aria makes her move.

The plot holes are 100% on GRRM. He could've finished the second last book a long time ago, and probably should have had the last one in writing at the moment.

He either got bored of the project, or even he can't figure out how to start wrapping up the story. Tall order asking people who are making a TV show to fix that for him.

The nerdiest book reader subreddit for this series came to the conclusion this morning that spending 10 years developing elaborate fan fiction and plot devices wasn't the best use of their time. And right after that, they come up with a theory that the NK is the real hero and maybe Bran is the real monster trying to wipe out humanity. Nerds gonna nerd.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Nerm said:

I liked the episode overall.  But I do think it would have been more impactful if a major character had died distracting the NK while Aria went in for the kill.

one possibility: the Hound overcomes his fire phobia and uses Berrick's flaming sword to engage the NK while Aria makes her move.

A major character did die right before the NK was killed.  It could be argued that Theon's charge was enough of a distraction for Arya to get in position.  And I'd argue that Theon was a major character.  He's been there since Episode 1 and had one very large, very important arc.  Would not be surprised to see Yara and the Ironborn come rushing in to support before the show ends.

And Bran already provided more of a distraction for the moment of the attack.

As for the Hound using Beric's sword, I'd be willing to bet the Hound didn't have the ability to make it alight.  Also, I'm pretty sure Beric lost the sword holding back the dead while they were making a pincushion of him.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

So....how did Mellisandre know the whole "What do we say to the god of death?" spiel? I got a chill when that happened.

You dudes do know that the show has to end sometime, right?

My thoughts on the whole "It was too easy" thing. That's the only way this could end. It's an overwhelming foe. It wiped out the entire Dotrhraki in one minute. The dragons were largely useless against them. The only way this can make work is if the Big Bad has an Achilles that ends the whole thing. She stabbed in the place he was created in the first place. That's somewhat poetic, I guess.

Honestly, everyone who analyzes the battles like old men at a conference in Gettysburg are kind of missing the point.

Also, I hope Martin releases two books that are basically just word for word transcripts of the show.

I thought the dagger went in lower, like in the rib area not into the sternum where he was made.

3I1eXVa.png

yseedwb.png

sR2Deyo.jpg

4ZOEhGb.jpg

1 minute ago, Epochalypse said:

A major character did die right before the NK was killed.  It could be argued that Theon's charge was enough of a distraction for Arya to get in position.  And I'd argue that Theon was a major character.  He's been there since Episode 1 and had one very large, very important arc.  Would not be surprised to see Yara and the Ironborn come rushing in to support before the show ends.

And Bran already provided more of a distraction for the moment of the attack.

As for the Hound using Beric's sword, I'd be willing to bet the Hound didn't have the ability to make it alight.  Also, I'm pretty sure Beric lost the sword holding back the dead while they were making a pincushion of him.

I think Arya was in position early. While the chaos of the iron born and zombies was going on, she just went into shadow mode. Waiting for the right moment—like a trained assassin. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

I think Arya was in position early. While the chaos of the iron born and zombies was going on, she just went into shadow mode. Waiting for the right moment—like a trained assassin. 

One problem with that: they showed the wind blow on the hair of a WW indicating she just went by. I’m still annoyed the trained assassin yelled when she jumped.