Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I presume the idea would be for DRC to play slot.  I noticed PFF has him as their 36 best FA, just after Breeland ironically.

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2017/11/22/new-york-giants-jay-gruden-dominique-rodgers-cromartie-redskins-killer/

The Washington Redskins have a plethora of concerns entering a Thanksgiving game against the New York Giants, including an initial injury report that listed 22 players in total.

However, while speaking to the New York media during a conference call on Thursday, it was cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie who appeared to be the center of attention for Redskins head coach Jay Gruden.

“The Redskin killer, Rodgers-Cromartie,” Gruden recalled. “He got the two picks last year, last game of the year.”

In two games against Washington last season, Rodgers-Cromartie recorded five tackles (three solo), one sack, two interceptions and four passes defensed. But it was in that Week 17 performance he essentially put an end to the Redskins’ playoff hopes with the two interceptions Gruden references.

Although Rodgers-Cromartie hasn’t registered an interception so far this season, he has played well in an evolving role that’s seen him on both the outside and at the nickle position. And he does play well against the Redskins historically, having recorded three career interceptions against them with one returned for a touchdown.

Youth movement when it comes to FA.  Right (Sarcasm). It'd be best if they didn't say anything at all when interviewed by the media.  Not thrilled about DRC.  This team is not a player or two away from a championship.  Again, we fail this year you wonder if Bruce and Co. are released.

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Youth movement when it comes to FA.  It be best if they didn't say anything at all when interviewed by the media.  Not thrilled about DRC.  This team is not a player or two away from a championship.  Again, we fail this year you wonder if Bruce and Co. are released.

I am all for a youth movement in theory but if they think they are super close to the promised land (as we keep hearing) (I personally disagree with it) then I got the attitude of what the heck, age be damned.   If this is a sink or swim season and that's the card they want to play then so be it. 

I wouldn't hate DRC if he's cheap.  But in general I agree with the idea of sign younger guys. 

Wilkerson and DRC both seem very Vinnyish -- Wilkerson -- you question his makeup but he's a big name.  DRC -- old and a big name.

6 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Lol okay

Cousins will sign day one guaranteed. Do you really think he's going to wait around. Denver would be right there waiting if they had the money or if they thought they had a chance to sign him. They know they don't have a chance. So they settled for Keenum.

Unless they didn’t want to wait and miss? Just like the skins did with smith. But hey man, you do you. 

7 minutes ago, benskins26 said:

Unless they didn’t want to wait and miss? Just like the skins did with smith. But hey man, you do you. 

You do realize free agency basically started last night right. I'm sure Elway signed Keenum, because he had no shot at Kirk. Two teams are being reported to offer Kirk a fully guaranteed contract (not Denver). So I wonder why they went with Keenum. It's pretty simple if you ask me. Denver reported all along as a team wanting Kirk. Found out they are outbid and said Okay we want Keenum. I will be me, because I'm right. Only one team can look bad for waiting and that's the Vikings. Denver, jets and Cards didn't have a QB. Vikings did they should be the worried ones. That's why they won't let Kirk walk. They'll sign him almost guaranteed. 

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am all for a youth movement in theory but if they think they are super close to the promised land (as we keep hearing) (I personally disagree with it) then I got the attitude of what the heck, age be damned.   If this is a sink or swim season and that's the card they want to play then so be it. 

I wouldn't hate DRC if he's cheap.  But in general I agree with the idea of sign younger guys. 

Wilkerson and DRC both seem very Vinnyish -- Wilkerson -- you question his makeup but he's a big name.  DRC -- old and a big name.

This FO never learns, SIP!  That's why I am ready and have been ready for a change, which I hope Snyder makes happen but it seems like he just doesn't get it.

26 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I really wonder what Donte Moncrief's status is right now, especially with the developments yesterday. Baltimore seems to want him, but he's a nice 6-2 220 WR with a 4.4 speed (bigger than Paul Richardson) and has a higher AV.

Moncrief

49.1 PFF rating

6 plays for 20 plus yards

2 plays for 40 plus yard

Richardson

72.4 PFF rating

13 plays for 20 plus yards

3 plays for 40 plus

There is a reason why Richardson was mentioned the other day on NFL.com as the 6th best deep threat in the NFL, no Moncrief mention.  I guess I can maybe be talked into Moncrief but I'd rather have Richardson.  Even in Moncriefs career year, 2015, he had 9 receptions of 20 plus, none for 40 plus.  He certainly has speed but that hasn't translated yet for him to be a big stretch the field guy -- though his YPR was good but still lower than Richardson.

Richardson makes some acrobatic catches, too.  My concern with him is injury history.  Though Moncrief has been banged up, too.  I wouldn't pay through the roof for either.  But IMO Richardson is the better bet.  And we've heard consistently that he's a top target for his team.  Ironically, I am reading the ravens are in on Richardson, too.  And Moncrief.  So I am betting whatever receiver either team doesn't get, they end up with the other one.

18 minutes ago, FrFan said:

Richardson already tore his left ACL twice and has recurring hamstring problems, I'm always suspicious about inflated stats on a contract year.

I am suspicious too when they are older guys or players with longish careers and just peak out of nowhere but not younger guys who are emerging.  The dude is just a little older than Doctson. He's a 2nd round pick who came into his own mostly because he was healthy.  Would I break the bank for him?  Nope.  

If they are truly looking for a stretch the field receiver -- is he the top guy on the market for that?  Yes, IMO. 

Is this going to be a mediocre, "meh" WR corp this season without a signing like that in FA or if they don't use a high pick on a WR.  IMO no doubt.

27 minutes ago, RWJ said:

This FO never learns, SIP!  That's why I am ready and have been ready for a change, which I hope Snyder makes happen but it seems like he just doesn't get it.

The only thing I'll say though to play devil's advocate.  If they are correct and they are close than DRC would be a good signing. Again depending on the price.  I don't really have a strong feel if they are close to the promise land or not.  I can see the argument either way.  But my gut is they aren't that close.  I hope I am wrong, though. 

But I just find it a bit ironic that we've had these Bruce turned over a new leaf discussions as to FA (for better or worse) by going cheaper and younger and avoiding the Vinny red flag guys and the first two guys out of the gate they are talking to fit the Vinny mold -- one as for age and the other as for red flags.  

Now as I've said Vinny didn't get it all wrong in FA.  He had some good signings especially in 2005.  He was hit and miss.  So is Bruce.  Neither IMO are great at fishing through FA for different reasons. 

I do like that Bruce is fishing through the bigger names thus far.  So I like that part of it.  But hopefully they are doing their due diligence especially on Wilkerson. 

FWIW: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie will visit the Redskins today as @RapSheet reported earlier. DRC played in the slot the last two years with NYG. Skins want a slot guy; Aaron Colvin one to watch once FA begins.

@AdamSchefter: When free agency opens Wednesday, former Rams' WR Sammy Watkins intends to sign with the KC Chiefs, source tells ESPN.

m.twitter.com/AdamSche...

So this morning we know that ARobs signing with the Bears and now Sammie going to the Chiefs. Dominos falling left and right

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

There is a reason why Richardson was mentioned the other day on NFL.com as the 6th best deep threat in the NFL, no Moncrief mention.  I guess I can maybe be talked into Moncrief but I'd rather have Richardson.  Even in Moncriefs career year, 2015, he had 9 receptions of 20 plus, none for 40 plus.  He certainly has speed but that hasn't translated yet for him to be a big stretch the field guy -- though his YPR was good but still lower than Richardson.

A lot of that has to do with usage and performance history. PFF and most other ratings systems don't look into the art of the possible. I imagine Gruden and Smith are sitting and talking about these guys and who will fit into Jay's system and whose contract we can afford to pick up without crippling the team. I'm pretty much out on all these guys, but I'm preparing myself for the inevitable signing because I'm guessing that we're going to get one of these guys.

Wilson, Watkins, Moncrief, Matthews, and Richardson all came from that 2014 draft and all have looked good to different degrees. They all run 40s in the 4.4 range. 4 of them are in the 6-foot range, with 3 being well over 6 feet. There's also the Jeff Janis pick from the Packers who could be like a Quick signing from last year which wouldn't surprise me since he could probably get a vet min contract but could possibly be a Bruce Allen value signing .

3 minutes ago, Jericho said:

so its looking like Richardson or bust at this point. Just hope Richardson himself is not a bust

If Watkins is getting 16 per, can’t imagine what Richardson is gonna get. 

This was the year of the trade. The fact that teams have to so ridiculously overpay for players like Watkins shows that the trade with locked in contracts was worth the draft pick.

Just now, desertbeagle85 said:

I don't really look at Richardson as a upgrade. At his point we are stuck with the same average talent as we had last year. 

He might be an upgrade over Pryor.  Just not a big one

Let's just be honest with ourselves guys. The Skins got a older QB that has about the same skill set as Kirk. 

One of our better picks Fuller is gone and we've still got a ton of holes on both sides of the ball. Especially on th defensive side. This team will be lucky to win 7 games next year. 

Just another year as a Skins fan. 

wow crazy

JP Finlay Retweeted Ian Rapoport

Never saw him w Redskins. Now we know.

JP Finlay added,

Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet
The #Chiefs locked in on WR Sammy Watkins late last night and the deal is expected to be worth roughly $16M per year over 3 years, sources say.

Archived