Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

21 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

DJ coming across a little insecure there. Was all over getting a DB in the fold when his buddy the Honey Badger was on the market.

That's true,:ols:  I'd forgotten about that. Now he's tweeting that M. Nicholson is set to have a big year (which I actually buy in to.)

Would someone mind posting what Swearinger actually said?

14 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Cooley and Finlay were talking about this the other day.   Vernon Davis is likely in his last year and Reed has to show he can stay healthy.   Cooley doesn't seem impressed with Sprinkle.  Cooley (not saying he's right but the dude I presume knows this position) thinks the team should be desperate for a pass catching TE who can also block.

That’s music to my ears, lol.  

3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

DJ coming across a little insecure there. Was all over getting a DB in the fold when his buddy the Honey Badger was on the market. Gruden said in interview that they they need to figure out the best way to use DJ. 

Well, HB had the potential to play all over (particularly in the slot), so maybe not apples to apples, but I get your point... and Fitzpatrick fits that bill as well.  Of course, landing HB in FA would have (I think) meant virtually no chance we go db in the 1st... now though?  We’ll see.  

Swearinger does need to realize we can add a good contributor via our 2nd, 4th, or even in the 3rd if we recoup a pick (and Hankins should still be in the mix).  Would probably help if he was a little less... extreme in his wording.  

6 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

It's on the page before this.

Thanks. :)

At the time a different set of tweets was showing up, but I think I’m up to speed now.  

8 hours ago, Panninho said:

If he communicates like this internally as well, I am not sure anyone will be able to understand what he tries to say.

On a more serious note though: While everyone here agrees that our rushing defense needs work, the chargers were ranked 31st and the Rams were ranked 28th FWIW. Texans ranked dead last in points allowed. Maybe he should check stuff like that before going on a rant.
And I personally am not a fan of posting things like that on twitter. First of all it puts your teammates down, second of all it's not his position to determine who has to be drafted where. We lost 2 of 5 starting defensive backs to free agency/trade, why would it be out of the picture to draft a DB if a blue chip talent falls? It's not like we are stacked at any position on the defensive side of the ball.

This post comes off weird to me. Sure, he’s not the greatest communicator, he’s not using the best of examples to prove his 100% legitimate point, and I’ve already stated BPA is the way to go so he’s wrong there as well... but you’re really hitting him hard for emphasizing the Dline and claiming it’ll help everyone if they get better there?

I think it’s easy to overlook his failure to execute the argument in some instances while agreeing with his overall point. 

It’s common sense. The run defense has sucked and has absolutely killed us the last couple years. I mean, God forbid a player sees that, too.

I disagree that it “puts his players down”. If they’re that sensitive about it after being the worst team in the league at stopping the run, then they deserve to get friggin cut, let alone worry about their feelings. :ols: 

I’m sure the players agree themselves. They need to improve there. This is an undeniable fact. Having better players around you helps you succeed yourself, so they’d be fools to think otherwise. 

We already heard Bruce Allen tell Alex Smith that Tomsula and Manusky were clamoring for moves to be made on their side. I guess they’re insensitive, too? Granted, it wasn’t on twitter, but it still came out very publicly. If anyone actually got hurt by that, they’re being ridiculous. 

Nah, Swearinger has it right in terms of a basic understanding. It’s the simplest, soundest principle to building any roster. Start with the trenches. Do everything you can to be elite there. Everyone behind them wins with great fronts.

If they go into this season still struggling to stop the run (even if it comes after the very possible injury or two), that is an abject failure at the highest levels. Especially when you were so close to having a solid, well-rounded roster otherwise going into this offseason. 

2 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

This post comes off weird to me. Sure, he’s not the greatest communicator, he’s not using the best of examples to prove his 100% legitimate point, and I’ve already stated BPA is the way to go so he’s wrong there as well... but you’re really hitting him hard for emphasizing the Dline and claiming it’ll help everyone if they get better there?

I think it’s easy to overlook his failure to execute the argument in some instances while agreeing with his overall point. 

It’s common sense. The run defense has sucked and has absolutely killed us the last couple years. I mean, God forbid a player sees that, too.

I disagree that it “puts his players down”. If they’re that sensitive about it after being the worst team in the league at stopping the run, then they deserve to get friggin cut, let alone worry about their feelings. :ols: 

I’m sure the players agree themselves. They need to improve there. This is an undeniable fact. Having better players around you helps you succeed yourself, so they’d be fools to think otherwise. 

We already heard Bruce Allen tell Alex Smith that Tomsula and Manusky were clamoring for moves to be made on their side. I guess they’re insensitive, too? 

Nah, Swearinger has it right in terms of a basic understanding. It’s the simplest, soundest principle to building any roster. Start with the trenches. Do everything you can to be elite there. Everyone behind them wins with great fronts.

If they go into this season still struggling to stop the run (even if it comes after the very possible injury or two), that is an abject failure at the highest levels. Especially when you were so close to having a solid, well-rounded roster otherwise going into this offseason. 

Well I definitely agree with him that we have to upgrade our defensive line, especially to stop the run. And everyone here is frustrated that it was neglected for so long and has not really been adressed in free agency yet again.

But as I said, I generally don't like it when players put things like that on social media. Especially if he brings examples of other secondaries that supposedly performed better because their defensive line was able to stop the run when in fact they were just as bad. It sounds as if he makes excuses as to why the secondary did not peform better. So he blames his teammates to a certain extent for that. Now I think that the secondary played well, especially down the stretch and obviously it's easier for the secondary to perform when the dline doies its job. But we got the second (?) most QB-pressures of all teams in the leage. So it's not like the secondary was out there on their own.

And I also think it's an unfair assessment to a certain degree. We were hit hard with injuries at the line and at the inside linebacker positions, before that we were at least solid against the run. The secondary however was pretty healthy most of the season (sans Nicholson).

And I never said that he should not be allowed to critcize his team mates, I am a big fan of players who a vocal. It should just not be publicly on Twitter. Things like that should be done in-house, not in a twitter rant. At least I wanted to say that. Sorry, if that was misleading, I am not a native speaker.

Furthermore, he himself was a second round pick, Norman a 5th, Nicholson a 4th, Breeland a 4th and Fuller a third rounder and I guess he thinks high of most of them if he doesn't see a need in the secondary. You can find good players in the second round and later as well. And we have heard from almost every beat reporter, that the Redskins will try to upgrade the D-line either through the draft or through free agency. So it's not like people are saying our dline is perfect and we need no help at all.

I know that you are for BPA, so this whole post was more adressed at Swearinger and not you. Should probably not have quoted you. Sorry for that.:D

@thesubmittedone and @Panninho

I think you both are right...for the reasons you already stated. 

I also think there could (just maybe ?) be a little of a fear that the Skins have been linked the James (and a lesser extent due to position) Fitz. I’m guessing if the Skins drafted James that DJ would be feeling a little bit of pressure and uneasiness as to his future. 

For whatever reason why they only feel the need to bring Hankins in on a one year deal baffles me???..Weather it’s a cap thing or whatever,bring him in to fill a (very) much needed position and quit screwing around..Not only does it fill the D-Line need but it opens up for the BPA for the first round at least..You know what you’re getting from him,eliminates the whole BUST fear of drafting an unknown coming outta college-or even with signing him we can fill that need later on to add depth without putting immediate pressure on a kid coming outta school!!..If our pick comes up,I’d love for us to grab WHOEVER is the top player available regardless of position played instead of “reaching” out of desperation just to fill a weakness(I just watch other top teams and how they draft..works for them-reason why they’re always picking Way behind us!!)!!..The draft can’t come quick enough for me!!!!

50 minutes ago, Mr.Will said:

For whatever reason why they only feel the need to bring Hankins in on a one year deal baffles me???..Weather it’s a cap thing or whatever,bring him in to fill a (very) much needed position and quit screwing around..Not only does it fill the D-Line need but it opens up for the BPA for the first round at least..You know what you’re getting from him,eliminates the whole BUST fear of drafting an unknown coming outta college-or even with signing him we can fill that need later on to add depth without putting immediate pressure on a kid coming outta school!!..If our pick comes up,I’d love for us to grab WHOEVER is the top player available regardless of position played instead of “reaching” out of desperation just to fill a weakness(I just watch other top teams and how they draft..works for them-reason why they’re always picking Way behind us!!)!!..The draft can’t come quick enough for me!!!!

I might have missed it but did it come out we only offered him a year? 

4 minutes ago, Mr.Will said:

it's not desperation unless there's no one of first round quality available at a position of need

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

I might have missed it but did it come out we only offered him a year? 

From reports I’ve read(it was posted a few pages back)but that’s “supposedly the hold up with signing him..we only offered a year and he is asking for multiple

1 hour ago, carex said:

it's not desperation unless there's no one of first round quality available at a position of need

I agree..point being just that-I’d love to see us grab the best player available(DB,TE,RB,LB) and not reach for a player only to fill a specific spot if a better one is still in the board.

4 minutes ago, Mr.Will said:

I agree..point being just that-I’d love to see us grab the best player available(DB,TE,RB,LB) and not reach for a player only to fill a specific spot if a better one is still in the board.

I only want to get someone who will make us better right away.  Not someone who will send a quality player to the bench, or who will stay on the bench initially while someone else plays, so I don't agree with you

58 minutes ago, carex said:

I only want to get someone who will make us better right away.  Not someone who will send a quality player to the bench, or who will stay on the bench initially while someone else plays, so I don't agree with you

Absolutely!!!!

My opinion is no. 13 is worth a day 1 starter. 

45 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Especially with Richardson on board now.

I can see Richardson filling Crowder's role next year, and then we get another #1 or #2 receiver, depending on which role Doctson does not turn out to be.

I don't think Richardson is capable of filling Crowder's role, or vice versa. Extremely different skill-sets

1 hour ago, carex said:

You’re confusing??..How does grabbing the BPA at any position translate to that player “sending a player or that stays on the bench initially while someone else plays”..If we get the BPA they why the hell would he be on any bench,he’d ABSOLUTELY be in the game-That’s the whole point or am do I understand the game totally wrong-lol??????..or if the player drafted sends a “quality player” to the bench???..Uuuuh,he obviously ain’t that quality if he’s out played an benched in the first place now would he??..I want this team to not only win but quit being the butt of the football world as well,for being know as being competent and making wise decisions thruout all phases of the game..Who cares if it sends someone to the bench,I could give a rats ass if you agree with me or not..I simply want the best on the field playing,idc how it happens!!!!!

Archived