Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2018 Thread (An Adult Finally Has the Gavel)

PleaseBlitz

No surprise that Hyde-Smith won in Indiana. Heck, Roy Moore barely lost in Alabama. It's just a terrible sign that this is who the Republicans thought best represents them. They should have fielded a better candidate and when their candidate revealed themselves they should have done the right thing. Not surprised that they didn't.

18 minutes ago, visionary said:

Interesting, but not all that surprising, that she's married to a Muslim man. This seems to be a pretty common theme. A person is part of a larger group that wants to discriminate against another group for various reasons. However, that person bucks his or her peers and comes out against the discrimination because he/she has a direct relationship with a person in the group deemed worthy of said discrimination. Reminds me of how Dick Cheney was super right wing on pretty much everything except gay marriage...and he just happened to have a daughter that was a lesbian. 

Funny how that works, eh?

30 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Interesting, but not all that surprising, that she's married to a Muslim man. This seems to be a pretty common theme. A person is part of a larger group that wants to discriminate against another group for various reasons. However, that person bucks his or her peers and comes out against the discrimination because he/she has a direct relationship with a person in the group deemed worthy of said discrimination. Reminds me of how Dick Cheney was super right wing on pretty much everything except gay marriage...and he just happened to have a daughter that was a lesbian. 

One of my biggest customers was a huge fan of the Florida Gators. Don't know if he was Bull Gator level, but was some form of booster. Season tickets. Personal friends with Steve Spurrier. (When Spurrier became Redskins coach, he got invited to tour the training facility. Was given a pille of Redskins swag, which he gave to me.)

One day I'm out at his location doing something, and he walks up to this car. It's painted burgundy, with gold pinstripes. Seminole logos and spears on the fenders. 

I ask him what's with the car?  Did he lose a bet?  Is it his wife's car?

"FSU gave my son a football scholarship and the Gators didn't."

9 minutes ago, Larry said:

One of my biggest customers was a huge fan of the Florida Gators. Don't know if he was Bull Gator level, but was some form of booster. Season tickets. Personal friends with Steve Spurrier. (When Spurrier became Redskins coach, he got invited to tour the training facility. Was given a pille of Redskins swag, which he gave to me.)

One day I'm out at his location doing something, and he walks up to this car. It's painted burgundy, with gold pinstripes. Seminole logos and spears on the fenders. 

I ask him what's with the car?  Did he lose a bet?  Is it his wife's car?

"FSU gave my son a football scholarship and the Gators didn't."

I moved to Dallas two years ago and started a flag football program. The Cowboys sent us to represent them at the National Championship in Orlando the week of the Pro Bowl... free tickets to the game and to Disney World. Free rooms at the All Star Sports Resort. They also had us down on the field for last season's Redskins v Cowboys Thursday Night Game and we got to announce their 6th round pick at the draft.

I never thought I'd say this but I LOVE Cowboys home games... that giant toilet bowl of a stadium can fit soooo many people that I hate inside of it. Makes it a lot easier to go about my business on Sunday afternoons with 100,000 fewer idiots to worry about having to engage.

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

It's the same on the macro level.  Discrimination bull**** doesn't fly in cities because, it turns out, people don't demonize black/latino/muslim/gay/whatever people when they actually interact with them on a daily basis.  

And again we see the single most important issue from the midterms, the crummy, criminal and downright loopy way that elections are run in this country.

We need to address this, a comprehensive, unified way to run elections. You cannot tell me that it isn't possible/feasible/affordable when I can livestream events on the can or watch movies in the yard. 

There ought to be a bipartisan and thorough system put in place to see that Americans, ALL Americans, can and do participate in elections. This is the crucial tool that would help address so many of our other woes.

26 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

We need to address this, a comprehensive, unified way to run elections. You cannot tell me that it isn't possible/feasible/affordable when I can livestream events on the can or watch movies in the yard. 

It may have been here that i saw an interesting point in that over 100 million lottery tickets were sold a few weeks ago when it was over a billion dollar jackpot. Within a few hours we knew exactly how many tickets had won something from 3 matches all the way to 6 and we knew the states and cities that they came from. 

Yet during elections we are counting votes weeks after the election. The reason we don't have a better system is because certain powers that be simply don't want one. 

28 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

It may have been here that i saw an interesting point in that over 100 million lottery tickets were sold a few weeks ago when it was over a billion dollar jackpot. Within a few hours we knew exactly how many tickets had won something from 3 matches all the way to 6 and we knew the states and cities that they came from. 

Yet during elections we are counting votes weeks after the election. The reason we don't have a better system is because certain powers that be simply don't want one. 

And the lottery did not have people who's job is to argue aver the authenticity of every single losing ticket. 

Nor is there a law law allowing people to buy lottery tickets through the mail, a week or more after the drawing. 

2 hours ago, Larry said:

And the lottery did not have people who's job is to argue aver the authenticity of every single losing ticket. 

Nor is there a law law allowing people to buy lottery tickets through the mail, a week or more after the drawing. 

Which is all well and good but the technology exists to build the infrastructure needed for a dedicated voting system, what is missing is the will.

19 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

Which is all well and good but the technology exists to build the infrastructure needed for a dedicated voting system, what is missing is the will.

Can you explain to me what this infrastructure that will eliminate challenges to absentee ballots might look like?  One that will allow provisional ballots to be challenged, allow the voter to hear the challenge, and the ballot to be counted or rejected, for all provisional ballots, within hours of poll closing?  

How about the infrastructure that will count absentee ballots within hours of poll closing, even though the ballot might not arrive in the elections office till a week after the election?  

Now I am absolutely am not arguing that there's nothing wrong with our system. (Including a number of problems which are being caused deliberately). Just saying that demanding that all elections must be over three hours after closing is an unrealistic demand. 

We should also be careful and consider the privacy implications of the technology which could allow us instant knowledge of voting outcomes.  As you pointed out, we knew how many winning tickets were sold where and when very quickly after the drawing.  Now I want to imagine knowing where every voter who voted for the losing candidate voted and when.  How big a stretch would it be to get from that information to the identity of every supporter of the losing candidate?  In this day and age, that could be done in minutes (seconds if only a few voters). 

Sometimes the temporary fog of uncertainty is a small price to pay for an election free of the threat of retribution for your vote.  Now we only get collective punishment whereby winning parties split the spoils of contracts and preferential posts and the losing party can be shut out.  It's still not great, but I haven't seen better offered yet.

27 minutes ago, gbear said:

We should also be careful and consider the privacy implications of the technology which could allow us instant knowledge of voting outcomes.  As you pointed out, we knew how many winning tickets were sold where and when very quickly after the drawing.

I bank online. I pay my taxes online. I can’t imagine that we’re unable to set up a system that would make it easier for people to vote if we really wanted to.

4 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I bank online. I pay my taxes online. I can’t imagine that we’re unable to set up a system that would make it easier for people to vote if we really wanted to.

And your bank has a record of every transaction you did. Your tax collector has a record of how and when you paid your taxes. 

How do you feel about your government having a record of when you voted, where you were, and who you voted for?  

4 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Making it easier is not the issue.  Making it secure is.  

Online data breaches happen so often now that they aren't even news, but this one was announced today.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2018/11/30/marriott-discloses-massive-data-breach-impacting-million-guests/?utm_term=.41ca8a2939ea

Marriott International, one of the largest hotel chains in the world, revealed Friday that its Starwood reservations database had been hacked and that the personal information of up to 500 million guests could have been stolen.

500 million.  

40 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Are you suggesting people should be able to vote online? My issue is the idea of a secret ballot. Let's assume that a husband wife couple has a husband who is a die hard trump supporter. And he wants his wife to vote for trump also. Now she actually hates trump and wants to vote for the other person. Right now she can tell her husband she voted for trump after walking into the booth in voting for the other candidate. Because the husband can't see it. Online voting would allow the husband to sit over her shoulder and watch who she voted for. How would you fix that?

Archived