Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brian Mitchell For Special Teams Coach

Reaper Skins

35 minutes ago, kleese said:

I’m a Thunder fan too and with our team really struggling right now many fans want Billy Donovan to yell, break clipboards, get tossed, etc... 

Fans always want a coach that will go bananas for some reason. 

Here is the deal: I think that approach CAN work—but you can probably only bust it out literally once or twice per season. And that means practice, games, etc. That stuff totally loses its effect if it becomes epxected or is viewed as contrived. It will get tuned out inmediately. Look at a guy like Mike Singletary. He coached a lot like how BMitch says he would coach. Singletary was bombastic. Highly emotional. And he flames out in a hot minute after getting off to a decent start. The “in your face” coach works in high school (maybe) and the movies. That’s about it. 

Yep agree 100%. The rah rah rah stuff doesn't really work with professional athletes, grown ass men.

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yep agree 100%. The rah rah rah stuff doesn't really work with professional athletes, grown ass men.

No doubt leadership and respect matter. Without question, the players need to respect the coach. And if obtaining that respect requires a slight element of fear, I think that's fine. I think a very well placed chalkboard throw or rant can be effective. But it must be VERY well placed. And probably not done in a place where the public can see it. Generally speaking, people don't respond well to public humiliation.

I love Mitchell for his fiery speech, but I don't love the thought of Brian Mitchell being a coordinator, or even really being given a serious role in special teams at all. He was a good player, but if he was a good coach, I expect he would have found a role somewhere over a decade ago.

Let's just continue to give Snyder moves he can make to appease the fans. 

He brings back Joe Gibbs...

He changes his Joe Gibbs replacement because of fan backlash...

He hires Doug Williams as GM to replace an actual GM...

Eventually our heroes from the 1980s are going to be too old or too disinterested to participate. Snyder (and Allen I guess) need to roll up their sleeves and find the next group of people who can run this organization. 

See, with a statement like that, maybe I'm qualified to work for Bruce Allen. Hell, if BMitch can coach STs because he thinks we need more fire, then I can run a team because I think we need to "make better decisions" for the football team.  

All of you are missing the point... He's NEVER said anything about coaching. So it doesn't matter if he's a ra-ra guy or not.

He's been saying the same thing for years... For lack of a better term, he wants to be a Special Teams consultant. He's been talking for years on how he would like to offer pointers and whatnot and even how he tried to give pointers to certain players and they blew him off.

I don't want him as a coach because he himself said he doesn't want to coach, but I think him coming in during the off-season and giving pointers to returners isn't that bad of an idea. It's not like it's been a strength of this team.

1 hour ago, SAli457180 said:

Well what they've got right now is clearly not working.  I don't think any of the players buy in to Gruden at all.  They guy only has a job because of his relationship with Allen and because of his brother.  This is will continue to be the norm until something drastically changes.

I don't think it's "Clearly" not working. I think it's sorta half-assed working. We look just generally more like a run of the mill NFL team than we used to. We're an average-ish team that was killed by injuries this year.

9 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

All of you are missing the point... He's NEVER said anything about coaching. So it doesn't matter if he's a ra-ra guy or not.

He's been saying the same thing for years... For lack of a better term, he wants to be a Special Teams consultant. He's been talking for years on how he would like to offer pointers and whatnot and even how he tried to give pointers to certain players and they blew him off.

I don't want him as a coach because he himself said he doesn't want to coach, but I think him coming in during the off-season and giving pointers to returners isn't that bad of an idea. It's not like it's been a strength of this team.

That seems weird. Do you bring in Riggins and Portis and a dozen other running backs to give "pointers" to those guys too?

If I was a coach, I wouldn't just let every "legend" come in and talk to guys about whatever. Most "great" players are pretty lousy coaches.

10 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

That seems weird. Do you bring in Riggins and Portis and a dozen other running backs to give "pointers" to those guys too?

If I was a coach, I wouldn't just let every "legend" come in and talk to guys about whatever. Most "great" players are pretty lousy coaches.

If we were still running Gibbs running scheme and they offered to help, then yes, they too could be brought in as consultants.

I do agree with you when you say great players are lousy coaches, but if you have someone offering to help in an area that you've been struggling in for years, I think the least you can do is listen.

(Also, for what it's worth, B-Mitch has pointed out several flaws in Crowder's return game that really hasn't changed since last season. Honestly, those same things he's gotten worse at. So I'm not surprised he's struggled returning this year.)

When was the last time the Redskins had a fiery coach? One that storms the sidelines.  The ones that DON’T look dazed and confused like Zorn, Gruden, Norv.

Because Of Synder, pretty sure the team would still suck, but it would be nice to see a coach on the sideline that doesn’t always look constipated.  

7 minutes ago, Csup said:

When was the last time the Redskins had a fiery coach? One that storms the sidelines.  The ones that DON’T look dazed and confused like Zorn, Gruden, Norv.

Because Of Synder, pretty sure the team would still suck, but it would be nice to see a coach on the sideline that doesn’t always look constipated.  

Shanahan is the prototypical asshole coach. Everyone - including the fans - hated him.

BMitch would make a great Keeping It Real Coach

Jay should make that a new title and make BMitch's only responsibility running up and down the sidelines and scream at any player who messes up while throwing a few things

Then at the very least whenever our season goes downhill we can be featured in a special episode of "When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong"

12 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Shanahan is the prototypical asshole coach. Everyone - including the fans - hated him.

People like winners.  At the end of the day if you win and your an ass nobody will care.  

All I’m saying is if the skins are gong to lose, we’ve seen the quiet sideline coach.  Entertain me some other way...a sideline temper tantrum would be nice.

Seems like a few of you would prefer a Snyder puppet AKA Larry Michael over the truth AKA B Mitch. He's exactly what's needed to coach this stagnant, same as it ever was for years now not so special teams. I'm pretty certain this should be HOF'er could coach teams.

Skins just need to look at the teams that have been tops in STs the past several seasons and grab one of the assistants off them who's been there for some time as our new head ST coach. Let him build the rest of his coach staff. 

Do the same for our strength and conditioning crew

On 12/1/2017 at 2:00 PM, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

A jackass that yells at everyone?

We already have that in the owner.

I love that fans always demand that coaches behave like the boss they would completely and totally hate.

Football is not an office job.  Sometimes the only way to get through to a player in yell.  

Even if he was qualified to be a coach, there is no reason for him to risk his good name and his cushy TV job to actually be a coach for this forsaken franchise. Nobody escapes this team looking good and I’m sure he knows that better than most. 

He tries and fails then goes back to TV and his rants and analysis are a lot emptier than they already are 

Well, it certainly wouldn't hurt the current performance of special teams.

Special teams is the forgotten group, its always been focused on offense and defense; for the most part, the star punt/kick returner only lasts a couple years max, but in Brian's case he lasted a lot longer, and did have some good seasons, especially 91', so I say why not?

Maybe someone should be in the locker room throwing stuff and cursing players up and down to get them to play better, god knows Gruden doesn't seem to be the one doing it. In the Dallas game, there were times the camera pans to Gruden, and he looks like he's sniffing his fingers; wonder where THEY were...

41 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Well, it certainly wouldn't hurt the current performance of special teams.

Special teams is the forgotten group, its always been focused on offense and defense; for the most part, the star punt/kick returner only lasts a couple years max, but in Brian's case he lasted a lot longer, and did have some good seasons, especially 91', so I say why not?

Maybe someone should be in the locker room throwing stuff and cursing players up and down to get them to play better, god knows Gruden doesn't seem to be the one doing it. In the Dallas game, there were times the camera pans to Gruden, and he looks like he's sniffing his fingers; wonder where THEY were...

I mean how loud would they have had to yell at AJ Francis and Zack Vigil the other night to get them to overpower Zack Martin and Tyron Smith?

Archived