Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brian Mitchell For Special Teams Coach

Reaper Skins

Cmon Doug Williams.  Cmon Bruce Allen.  If you really do have any interest in bettering this organization, this is a hire that needs to be made. 

Gruden may not know how much this guy means to the franchise, but you guys do. 

You want to maintain continuity with the coaching staff but still appease the fanbase with a sacrificial lamb?  Make this move. 

Kotwica has done nothing to justify keeping his job.  His greatest hit during his tenure here was getting caught with his dick out on the sidelines. 

I wish I was kidding

This is one of the few times that I think playing the legacy card will actually do more than just appease the fanbase.  Mitchell is a guy that cares more about this team and its success than almost anyone else.  we need someone to help teach these guys to be winners, and bring pride and accountability back into the locker room.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/12/01/brian-mitchell-after-blowout-loss-im-embarrassed-to-say-im-a-redskins-fan/?utm_term=.282df13c2113

Does he have any coaching experience? You only hear from Mitchell after losses. Just because someone yells doesn't mean anything (see Stephen A Smith). If you weren't already embarrased to be a Skins fan before this and needed Mitchell to tell you to be, I don't know what to tell you. He is not a coach, playing experience doesn't equate to quality coach. The only argument for him is that a loooooong time ago he was a returner and that it can't possibly get worse.  Oh wait it can, see Keith Burns tenure as special teams coach.

Brian Mitchell is too much like a passionate fan.

He gets too high and too low after wins and losses. You can't be ready to fire/bench everyone and blow everything up after every loss.

This is a guy who, when he was a player, looked like he was trying to pick a fight with the opposing team every time he was on the field. :ols:

Mitchell is a passionate guy, but seems to emotionally irrational to be an effective coach.

8 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Brian Mitchell is too much like a passionate fan.

He gets too high and too low after wins and losses. You can't be ready to fire/bench everyone and blow everything up after every loss.

Mitchell is a passionate guy, but seems to emotionally irrational to be an effective coach.

This is a problem with the owner too. 

I totally get that it felt good for someone to go off last night.  He's not wrong about the special teams.  They have been abysmal for Kotwica's entire tenure.  I understand the entire roster experiences a downturn with how our injuries have played out, but a lot of the stuff we're seeing is just dumbfounding.  All that said, I don't think B Mitch screaming at everyone to play harder and be tougher is going to do the trick.

Mitchell and Doc always annoyed me with their "play with more passion" BS after every single loss. I get that they were "try hard" guys (B Mitch being a try hard with a lot of talent), but they played for one of the original nerd coaches in Gibbs. I mean, Walker had a career because Gibbs pretty much created a new position to deal with one player on one team.

I just envision Mitchell going up to kickers and saying, "You just need to straighten it out."

As a former sportscaster I feel  Brian Mitchell's rant last night was so gusty,  refreshing and on mark. He told it like it is. Local  'casters are "encouraged" to voice  positives about the team even in losses. He exposed that. 

This is all part of the powerful Redskin Communications/Marketing arm - sell our point of view and we'll give you access to Redskin Park. Heck 980 is nothing more that the team's propaganda arm.  But broke from the game plan.

Mitchell brings a unique perspective having played for Gibbs and under Snyder. This morning all the "voices" are going out of their way to disagree with Mitch's comment about effort and spin the Redskin line.

For those of you too young to remember, #30 is one of the greatest Redskins of all time - knows what effort is.  

Bravo BMitch!

BMitch for HC.  He doesn't need to be involved in playcalling.  He needs to be involved in motivation and leadership.  Hell, he played QB in college and even 1 game in the pros (the infamous Body Bag game in Philly).  Cooley for GM (or at least personnel).

Bmitch is so tired to me. His act is old. 

I dont necessarily disagree with his assessment of the special teams— it’s been poor this year. 

But the only “analysis” he ever really offers is after every loss he rants about heart and toughness, yada yada yada....

I think we’ve had some issues with that these past 25 years on and off, but not under Gruden. We generally play hard and I don’t question the effort of the team. Certainly don’t always play well or always play smart, but that’s a different debate. 

Ironically, during BMitch’s prime is when I though we were at or softest. Not because of him of course— he was for sure a tough as nails player who got every ounce out of what he had. But during the 90s those Redskins teams were generally soft. And BMitch was on all of those teams. Heck we started 0-7 in 1998 and were absolutely lifeless— If he was yelling and screaming at people back then it didn’t have much of an effect. 

There is absolutely no room in this organization IMO for B-Mitch's type of brutal honesty and fire which is why Scott M, another brutally honest passionate guy was let go.  

Personally I see no fire in Gruden who seems to vacillate between surprise and despondency when the games turns to ****.    And I am not even saying Gruden should be let go. I am not.  But sometimes even a players coach has to stick his foot up certain players asses.   You know this team lost on its own last night.  They gave the game to the Cowpokes.  Sure the momentum shifted because we gave them the game. Yeah the injuries suck. We have a lot of them.  But we have played much better teams over the past few weeks then this group, and we hung with them. Equivalent to what we put on the field against the Pokes last night and we never looked this bad.  I have been a lot of things about the Skins this year that I have not particularly liked but I have never been embarrassed to be a fan.  Last night was an embarrassment.  They embarrassed themselves.   They showed NO heart.  They let Alfred Morris rip them to shreds for 140 something yards on the ground. Maybe more.  Pitiful. Pathetic.  

10 minutes ago, kleese said:

Bmitch is so tired to me. His act is old. 

I dont necessarily disagree with his assessment of the special teams— it’s been poor this year. 

But the only “analysis” he ever really offers is after every loss he rants about heart and toughness, yada yada yada....

I think we’ve had some issues with that these past 25 years on and off, but not under Gruden. We generally play hard and I don’t question the effort of the team. Certainly don’t always play well or always play smart, but that’s a different debate. 

Ironically, during BMitch’s prime is when I though we were at or softest. Not because of him of course— he was for sure a tough as nails player who got every ounce out of what he had. But during the 90s those Redskins teams were generally soft. And BMitch was on all of those teams. Heck we started 0-7 in 1998 and were absolutely lifeless— If he was yelling and screaming at people back then it didn’t have much of an effect. 

Tired of his act?  What act?  B-Mitch tells it like it is!  Why do people have problems with people like him, Lavar, Chad Dukes, Czaban for being honest and critical of this team at times they SHOULD be critical?

You know who's act you should be tired of??  Larry Michael's, thats who!  That dude will over-slurp and over-sugarcoat EVERY thing we do and our record could be 2-10.  Dude is horrible.

37 minutes ago, celticsalmon said:

As a former sportscaster I feel  Brian Mitchell's rant last night was so gusty,  refreshing and on mark. He told it like it is. Local  'casters are "encouraged" to voice  positives about the team even in losses. He exposed that. 

This is all part of the powerful Redskin Communications/Marketing arm - sell our point of view and we'll give you access to Redskin Park. Heck 980 is nothing more that the team's propaganda arm.  But broke from the game plan.

Mitchell brings a unique perspective having played for Gibbs and under Snyder. This morning all the "voices" are going out of their way to disagree with Mitch's comment about effort and spin the Redskin line.

For those of you too young to remember, #30 is one of the greatest Redskins of all time - knows what effort is.  

Bravo BMitch!

I haven't lived in DC for 9 years.

I know what Mitchell's rant was, because it's probably the same one he's given after every loss since he started doing this.

Every B Mitch analysis is essentially, "These players need to be more like me....."

15 minutes ago, LavarArringtonMachine said:

Tired of his act?  What act?  B-Mitch tells it like it is!  Why do people have problems with people like him, Lavar, Chad Dukes, Czaban for being honest and critical of this team at times they SHOULD be critical?

You know who's act you should be tired of??  Larry Michael's, thats who!  That dude will over-slurp and over-sugarcoat EVERY thing we do and our record could be 2-10.  Dude is horrible.

I love Czaben... he provides real analysis and doesn’t sugar coat things. BMitch rants about the same stuff every game. Basically saying this wouldn’t happen under his watch. Even though it ABSOLUTELY DID happen under his watch. 

18 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I haven't lived in DC for 9 years.

I know what Mitchell's rant was, because it's probably the same one he's given after every loss since he started doing this.

Every B Mitch analysis is essentially, "These players need to be more like me....."

Well...  B-Mitch is a Super Bowl champion, arguably the best special team player in NFL history, and probably will be in the HOF soon....

I have to agree with him, our players DO need to be more like him.

I'd go full Zorn on this one. Interview him for the Special Teams Coordinator role, have him leave the building as the Head Coach. 

Actually go one better. Have Gruden interview him, Then Snyder hires him without anyone else knowing to be the HC, then ask Brian to deliver the pink slip to Jay.

8 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

Truth is that BMitch is exactly the type of guy this organization needs.  Problem is that there is no way he would get hired since he goes against everything that Snyder and Allen stand for which is the all mighty dollar

A jackass that yells at everyone?

We already have that in the owner.

I love that fans always demand that coaches behave like the boss they would completely and totally hate.

13 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

A jackass that yells at everyone?

We already have that in the owner.

I love that fans always demand that coaches behave like the boss they would completely and totally hate.

Well what they've got right now is clearly not working.  I don't think any of the players buy in to Gruden at all.  They guy only has a job because of his relationship with Allen and because of his brother.  This is will continue to be the norm until something drastically changes.

I’m a Thunder fan too and with our team really struggling right now many fans want Billy Donovan to yell, break clipboards, get tossed, etc... 

Fans always want a coach that will go bananas for some reason. 

Here is the deal: I think that approach CAN work—but you can probably only bust it out literally once or twice per season. And that means practice, games, etc. That stuff totally loses its effect if it becomes epxected or is viewed as contrived. It will get tuned out inmediately. Look at a guy like Mike Singletary. He coached a lot like how BMitch says he would coach. Singletary was bombastic. Highly emotional. And he flames out in a hot minute after getting off to a decent start. The “in your face” coach works in high school (maybe) and the movies. That’s about it. 

Archived