Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

53 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I like the WR from UMASS.  He has a good game in the Senior Bowl.  He reminds me a bit of a poor man's Brown from Oklahoma.  He might be able to be had in the 3rd/4th round.

Andy Isabella, he's fast, small hands but he catches everything thrown his way.   I like a bunch of guys, Metcalf, M. Brown, D. Samuel, P, Campbell, R. Ridley.  Good draft IMO for Wr.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Andy Isabella, he's fast, small hands but he catches everything thrown his way.   I like a bunch of guys, Metcalf, M. Brown, D. Samuel, P, Campbell, R. Ridley.  Good draft IMO for Wr.

It is. :)  I'd like to see us address OL and QB early then WR in mid along with S then

look at EDGE rusher and DL to replace Smith.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He reminded me of Julian Edleman a bit during the Senior Bowl. Thats not a bad thing.

Doug Williams & his part-time gig during the 2018 season

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/feb/3/doug-williams-moonlighting-redskins/?fbclid=IwAR3vE9iUlxUCYaGwe3zkgnYLJbMuQ0dpOGQ3JD-kE79AQT8WTEVci9jYWaU

Question: Which NFL "franchise" allows their top "personnel guy" take on another commitment during a crucial time of the season

Answer: The Redskins

Just further proof that Bruce uses Doug as a pawn and a human shield. Bruce us a ****ing snake

Doesn't seem like some aren't buying Bruce's we are close refrain.   But like I said as much as I don't care for the dude, that's up to Dan to decipher that rap.    Bruce and for that matter Jay have no choice but to sell the they are close narrative.   Having said that the off season is young, so you never know.    Personally, I think for Bruce's rap to come true they need to land Haskins or Murray in the draft and get lucky.  No other narrative really hits me other than that.

18 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

I would hate for us to go the Murray route...

If we draft him he'll go baseball for sure.

You can typically find out the answer before you draft him.  It doesn't help the player or the team to keep that a mystery.  So if Murray won't play here, I'd guess almost for sure the FO would know in advance.

Kevin O'Connell did a camp with Murray years ago so there is a chance Murray would actually like to reconnect -- you never know. 

Boswell on said topic

https://live.washingtonpost.com/ask-boswell-20190204.html

Boz, If you were Kyler Murray - or any other highly rated quarterback in the draft - would you refuse to play for the Redskins and Dan Snyder (a la John Elway refusing to play for the Colts / Irsay back in the day)? Thanks for all your chats!

A: Thomas Boswell

Yes.

Especially in Kyler Murray's case.

If he is drafted by a "normal" __meaning one of the other 31__ he seems to have so much NFL QB potential that he owes it to himself to take a shot.

Of course, maybe he owes it to his brain, his sanity and his life expectancy due to CTE to go with baseball instead.

Just for irony, PURELY IN THEORY, if he had a choice between playing for the A's or the Skins, that means he'd have a choice between perhaps the dumbest, most analytically-challenged front office and the most arrogant ownership in the NFL and one of the MOST sophisticated, yet also humble/friendly teams in MLB.

Problem is, Boswell is a baseball head.

He is constantly whining in his articles about how football is king in this country and that baseball has fallen off. That despite the apathy fans feel towards the current structure of the Redskins, fans in the area are still consumed with the team in general.

Much more than they are with the Nationals, which drives Boswell crazy.

It is little surprise he would advocate Murray choosing baseball over football. Even if the Redskins were a good team and the As bad, I think he would say the same thing.

3 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Problem is, Boswell is a baseball head.

He is constantly whining in his articles about how football is king in this country and that baseball has fallen off. That despite the apathy fans feel towards the current structure of the Redskins, fans in the area are still consumed with the team in general.

Much more than they are with the Nationals, which drives Boswell crazy.

It is little surprise he would advocate Murray choosing baseball over football. Even if the Redskins were a good team and the As bad, I think he would say the same thing.

Yeah I read Boswell and agree with your point.  I am the opposite of the dude I used to love baseball and football was my 2nd sport.  But for the last 15 years or so it has become easily football for me with baseball way behind.  He doesn't get the local fans fascination with the team considering the losing over the years.  Found his description of the FO really strong even by WP standards and in that regard somewhat funny.  Hence I posted it.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I read Boswell and agree with your point.  I am the opposite of the dude I used to love baseball and football was my 2nd sport.  But for the last 15 years or so it has become easily football for me with baseball way behind.  He doesn't get the local fans fascination with the team considering the losing over the years.  Found his description of the FO really strong even by WP standards and in that regard somewhat funny.  Hence I posted it.

Yep, he gets the front office mess.

Boswell doesn't get how we fans are out of love with what the team is now, but still in love and dedicated to what we want the team to be.

Is Boswell a Redskin fan himself? That I don't know.

8 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Yep, he gets the front office mess.

Boswell doesn't get how we fans are out of love with what the team is now, but still in love and dedicated to what we want the team to be.

Is Boswell a Redskin fan himself? That I don't know.

Doubt Boswell is a fan but don't know. I get his point in theory -- the Nationals are mostly winners who are known to operate in the right way.  The Redskins have been mostly the opposite.   I think what he keeps missing is the Redskins are ingrained in the DMV in a way that a newish team like the Nationals can't be.  But the bigger issue is football these days is by a mile more popular than baseball.  There was a time when I knew more about baseball than any other subject, loved it, now my level of excitement for the start of a season is a 2 on the level of 10.  Football is 10 out of 10.  Not that everyone is like me but I am not the only one in my social circle that fell out of love with baseball -- in the 80s, you had Monday Night baseball on network TV just like football at the time.  Now, a network showing of a random baseball game would be laughable.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Doubt Boswell is a fan but don't know. I get his point in theory -- the Nationals are mostly winners who are known to operate in the right way.  The Redskins have been mostly the opposite.   I think what he keeps missing is the Redskins are ingrained in the DMV in a way that a newish team like the Nationals can't be.  But the bigger issue is football these days is by a mile more popular than football.  There was a time when I knew more about baseball than any other subject, loved it, now my level of excitement for the start of a season is a 2 on the level of 10.  Football is 10 out of 10.  Not that everyone is like me but I am not the only one in my social circle that fell out of love with baseball -- in the 80s, you had Monday Night baseball on network TV just like football at the time.  Now, a network showing of a random baseball game would be laughable.

Yeah, I remember Monday Night Baseball. I remember going over to my brother's apartment, and he'd have it on, but I never got into it.

I can remember when TBS used to show practically ALL the Braves games (Ted Turner owned the team and the network), but all I worried about was the game was going to run over and cut into NWA/WCW wrestling on Saturday or Sunday nights.

Good times. :)

Boswell is very much a Redskins fan...he goes back to Griffith stadium as a kid and probably knows more about the team's history than almost anyone here.

That said, he's more of a baseball fan overall.

In the short term, Murray would make a lot more money in football, but he has to be really honest with himself and decide whether he has what it takes for a 10-15 year career as an NFL starter.

21 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

I would hate for us to go the Murray route...

If we draft him he'll go baseball for sure.

After watching his bizarre interview with Dan Patrick, I definitely have questions about him. Doesn't seem like his heart is really in football and doesn't strike me as a natural leader. But who knows? If I'm right, Bruce will likely trade the house for him. 

28 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

After watching his bizarre interview with Dan Patrick, I definitely have questions about him. Doesn't seem like his heart is really in football and doesn't strike me as a natural leader. But who knows? If I'm right, Bruce will likely trade the house for him. 

He has no agent right now so he's being coached up by his dad versus a professional.  He did a poor job evading the questions.

As for natural leaders, if you track Daniel Jones who flat out admitted he's not a leader type -- the dude comes off to some who have met him as outright shy and soft spoken.  He'd make Eli look like the life of the party.  That dude according to some is who the Redskins like -- i presume among others.  Hopefully, that's wrong and or its overblown from Doug simply being at Jones' bowl game.   Jones is the dude that worries me not Murray.  Having said that the QB position is a crap shoot more than any other -- I've been right about some guys, and dead wrong about others. 

I can deal with a bland personality at QB if they are a dynamic player like Kyle.  I can't deal with both a bland player and bland personality (bland being a complement in his case IMO) as to Jones. 

Back to Murray, I think he'd have to show his cards shortly one way or another with Spring Training looming.

2 hours ago, Dissident2 said:

I thought it was interesting that he had no representation with him during his media day, just his dad.

He could have used some help from someone who understands the landscape, if he has one of those crazy Lonzo Ball type dads that would give me even more pause, I don't know that to be the case it's just an observation.

While Gov. Lawrence J. Hogan Jr. is willing to work with the federal government on a land swap that would give Maryland control of Oxon Cove, a 500-acre parcel on the Potomac River in southern Prince George’s County, his administration expects county officials to take the lead in negotiating a stadium deal with Washington Redskins owner Daniel M. Snyder, according to officials who have been briefed on the still-early discussions about the project.

The move reflects a recognition on the part of Hogan (R) and his staff that the Redskins have lost much of their luster under Snyder’s nearly 20-year ownership of the team and that keeping their distance from the unpopular owner is a smart move for a politician whose stock is on the rise.

The state’s stance potentially reduces the likelihood that the team will end up moving from Landover, the site of their current home, FedEx Field, to the undeveloped Oxon Cove site near National Harbor, just off the Capital Beltway near the Woodrow Wilson Bridge.

Prince George’s County Executive Angela D. Alsobrooks (D) has struck a neutral posture regarding Oxon Cove as a potential stadium site, saying that while the Redskins are a valued enterprise, she would not be willing to take funds from other higher priorities, such as education, public safety, health care and economic development, to keep the team from moving away.

That leaves unanswered the question of who would make the site a true option for an NFL stadium. Even if Snyder funds construction of the stadium himself, Oxon Cove still would require hundreds of millions of dollars in transportation improvements. A single, one-lane road is the only way onto the site — home to a park and working farm — at present.

https://www.marylandmatters.org/2019/02/04/whos-moving-the-ball-in-the-push-for-stadium-deal/

23 hours ago, alwaysaskin said:

I feel like 100-1 odds are too generous. Not that it even matters getting the best QB in this class is like getting the smartest roach in the roach motel

You need a roach to survive this team's toxic atmosphere though.  Bruce is playing the long game.  Smartest guy in the room!

That article I posted about Maryland comes off like they won't provide state funding.  The current Virginia governor doesn't seem into it like the previous one.  and DC has multiple hurdles.

Liz Clark and Thom Loverro who both spent (I gather Clark more than Loverro) a little time researching what's going on with the stadium -- both said in a recent podcast that they don't think Dan gets his stadium. I presume by that they mean he won't get it if he doesn't self-fund.  

Hope they are wrong from the stand point of the stadium.   For as much as i fault Dan-Bruce for harming the franchise's brand -- I do think the stadium is a problem, too.  A new stadium won't fix all ills but it should help.  And selfishly, I think its cool going to some of these new modern stadiums -- been to a couple of them, hope to see Atlanta's stadium soon. 

Archived