Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That article I posted about Maryland comes off like they won't provide state funding.  The current Virginia governor doesn't seem into it like the previous one.  and DC has multiple hurdles.

Liz Clark and Thom Loverro who both spent (I gather Clark more than Loverro) a little time researching what's going on with the stadium -- both said in a recent podcast that they don't think Dan gets his stadium. I presume by that they mean he won't get it if he doesn't self-fund.  

Hope they are wrong from the stand point of the stadium.   For as much as i fault Dan-Bruce for harming the franchise's brand -- I do think the stadium is a problem, too.  A new stadium won't fix all ills but it should help.  And selfishly, I think its cool going to some of these new modern stadiums -- been to a couple of them, hope to see Atlanta's stadium soon. 

Dan should pay for his own stadium..Why should tax payers foot the bill for something that they get no enjoyment out of?

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, bh32 said:

Dan should pay for his own stadium..Why should tax payers foot the bill for something that they get no enjoyment out of?

I get that but as the article goes even if he pays -- the locations might have to kick in their part, for example in Maryland they say they'd need to upgrade the transportation system nearby to make it work. 

another outfit not believing in the Redskins being close.   I wish I were a fly on the wall at Redskins Park.  My gut is they have something up their sleeve for a splash. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Dan has no one to blame but himself..He let Bruce run off an above average QB while trading away a up and coming DB and a draft pick for a QB that cant even throw for 200 yards on his best day. That's not even counting the ****ty FA's that he has signed.

• Like 4
16 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Liz Clark and Thom Loverro who both spent (I gather Clark more than Loverro) a little time researching what's going on with the stadium -- both said in a recent podcast that they don't think Dan gets his stadium. I presume by that they mean he won't get it if he doesn't self-fund.  

This could get interesting if that actually transpires. I know it's a long-shot as of today, but if he really can't find a place to build the next stadium then re-location becomes at least a remote possibility. Isn't that why most teams up and leave? And let's not act like the Raiders or Rams or Browns didn't have a pretty strong fan base and a decent tradition when they left their respective cities. 

57 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

This could get interesting if that actually transpires. I know it's a long-shot as of today, but if he really can't find a place to build the next stadium then re-location becomes at least a remote possibility. Isn't that why most teams up and leave? And let's not act like the Raiders or Rams or Browns didn't have a pretty strong fan base and a decent tradition when they left their respective cities. 

Yeah sadly.   If Dan and Bruce are in deep delusion as some suspect then they might not see this coming.  But the idea that Dan's reputation being in the gutter coupled with fans not showing up to the stadium -- this is the worst timing for him in the context of pursuing a stadium.  I'd add to that the political environment everywhere as to building stadiums isn't in a good place.  The idea as that article purports the Governor knows its not popular to associate himself with Dan -- spells out potentially part of the problem. 

If for example Dan was doing this in 2012 or maybe 2015, he'd likely be in much better shape -- he'd sell an energized fanbase that will come and spend money at the stadium and nearby.

Liz Clark if I recall was the one who used the example of Kirk's contract where Bruce said publicly everything is on track and its not as complicated as the media makes it out to be -- that he rolls by selling optimism and likely is selling Dan that its all under control with the stadium, too.  But to Clark her sources tell her that Dan doesn't pull this off. 

Sheehan on the same podcast disagreed but that wasn't via having sources to this but he thinks having Virginia, Maryland and DC all in play should help leverage a deal.  Hope he's right. 

I'd figure its important to the NFL to have a team in the DMV so wonder what happens if the stadium issue forces a conversation about the viability about the team long term in the DMV based on current ownership -- maybe that's just wishful thinking on my end but i'd love hitting a breaking point of enough is enough from the league.  At least according to the WP, there is already some concern around the league about this franchise and its issue with fans, etc -- coupled with at least some people around the league thinking very little of both Dan and Bruce.

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd figure its important to the NFL to have a team in the DMV so wonder what happens if the stadium issue forces a conversation about the viability about the team long term in the DMV based on current ownership -- maybe that's just wishful thinking on my end but i'd love hitting a breaking point of enough is enough from the league.  At least according to the WP, there is already some concern around the league about this franchise and its issue with fans, etc -- coupled with at least some people around the league thinking very little of both Dan and Bruce.

I think the NFL wants a DC team, no doubt. But, with teams hopping around seemingly every few years I think Washington would instantly become the top candidate the next time a team starts looking around. This strikes me more as the 3 sites not being motivated to build for Snyder rather than not being motivated to build for professional football. 

I've said it before...if the history and name were to stay here, I'd rent the moving trucks to let the franchise go to London, LA, Birmingham, wherever. I am pretty convinced that in less than 5 years there would be another team playing as the Redskins in the DMV (expansion or relocation). 

6 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I am pretty convinced that in less than 5 years there would be another team playing as the Redskins in the DMV (expansion or relocation). 

I'd love to believe that, but couldn't the same have been said for LA when lost all its teams for 20 years?

15 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I think the NFL wants a DC team, no doubt. But, with teams hopping around seemingly every few years I think Washington would instantly become the top candidate the next time a team starts looking around. This strikes me more as the 3 sites not being motivated to build for Snyder rather than not being motivated to build for professional football. 

I've said it before...if the history and name were to stay here, I'd rent the moving trucks to let the franchise go to London, LA, Birmingham, wherever. I am pretty convinced that in less than 5 years there would be another team playing as the Redskins in the DMV (expansion or relocation). 

The thing about Dan is I believe him when he says he grew up as a fan and this team meant so much to his dad and by extension him -- considering all of that how nuts would it be that this dude mismanaged his boyhood favorite team to such an extreme that the team's viability in the DMV would be in question or as you say that the team could even bolt. 

How deep is Dan in delusion?  I don't know.   But how crazy does it have to get before he realizes that he and his buddy Bruce are toxic for the brand?  I am guessing he needs to see it all go down in a bad way in 2019 to realize that what Bruce and Jay are selling him is wildly off.   Either that or they think they have something sexy up their sleeve to reignite the fan base.   Will see.

As as for what Bruce and Jay are selling him its the narrative that they are close or as good as any team or close enough.  And again i don't blame either one for selling Dan on that -- they'd have no choice but to push that narrative.  But I am guessing either Dan is buying into that narrative, or thinks Bruce can deliver the stadium so he will bear and grin the fan's discontent in the mean time, or he's saying wait to the fans see this as to a sexy move they have cooking.  

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The thing about Dan is I believe him when he says he grew up as a fan and this team meant so much to his dad and by extension him -- considering all of that how nuts would it be that this dude mismanaged his boyhood favorite team to such an extreme that the team's viability in the DMV would be in question or as you say that the team could even bolt. 

How deep is Dan in delusion?  I don't know.   But how crazy does it have to get before he realizes that he and his buddy Bruce are toxic for the brand?  I am guessing he needs to see it all go down in a bad way in 2019 to realize that what Bruce and Jay are selling him is wildly off.   Either that or they think they have something sexy up their sleeve to reignite the fan base.   Will see.

As as for what Bruce and Jay are selling him its the narrative that they are close or as good as any team or close enough.  And again i don't blame either one for selling Dan on that -- they'd have no choice but to push that narrative.  But I am guessing either Dan is buying into that narrative, or thinks Bruce can deliver the stadium so he will bear and grin the fan's discontent in the mean time, or he's saying wait to the fans see this as to a sexy move they have cooking.  

My response is more general than just your post...but you hit on something I just don't understand. There seems to be this belief that Snyder is being duped into keeping Allen or is somehow unaware of how bad things are. That just seems so unlikely to me that it feels like something we tell ourselves because it at least provides hope that once he wakes up, things can be back on track. 

What if he's just completely and utterly incapable of fixing it? What if he is a much bigger part of the problem and is keeping Allen either because he can't separate personal and professional relationships or, quite frankly, just can't do any better? 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

My response is more general than just your post...but you hit on something I just don't understand. There seems to be this belief that Snyder is being duped into keeping Allen or is somehow unaware of how bad things are. That just seems so unlikely to me that it feels like something we tell ourselves because it at least provides hope that once he wakes up, things can be back on track. 

What if he's just completely and utterly incapable of fixing it? What if he is a much bigger part of the problem and is keeping Allen either because he can't separate personal and professional relationships or, quite frankly, just can't do any better? 

All possible too. The old Dan for his faults can attract talent whether it's a FA or coach, etc.  Can today's version do it? Don't know.

Laconfora has been a skeptic of late about Dan's ability to attract top level personnel people or coaches to this team. But his narrative is that Bruce being in that building is a big reason for that.  

We got the agents ranking Bruce as the least trustworthy GM.  And plenty of other things that point to Bruce not being respected by plenty around the league.

My gut is Dan does sense that he is in trouble but is sold that he needs Bruce to get the stadium.

But who knows. It's all about reading tea leaves and guessing based off of that. Anything is possible.

• Like 1

My guess is that Snyder will just find a way to stay at FedEx Field if he can't get the stadium. I just can't picture him relocating the franchise.

First of all, his two best relocation options are San Diego and St. Louis, where the locals were hostile to ponying up for the teams they already had--or at least they didn't want to do so in the NFL's preferred manner. Snyder is well-known as a toxic owner, so I can't see voters in either place being all that excited about opening up their checkbooks for him.

On a completely different subject than the stadium, but one oddly relevant to this thread, I found this laugher from Steve Spurrier in an ESPN article about the new AAF:

Looking back on his tenure at Florida and his brief, losing stint with the Redskins, Spurrier says, "I probably should have stayed at Florida, but at that time the mentality of all college coaches was have a run in college, and try to make a run in the NFL. I obviously chose the wrong team to go to. I thought I was getting a different general manager, but the owner decided he was going to be the general manager, and when he picked the quarterbacks, I knew it wasn't going to work. So he did a good job of running me off cheaply."

Now even the Ole' Ball Coach is throwing Snyder under the bus!

So, Mr. Ball Coach, you're saying it's a complete 100% coincidence that a bunch of third-tier washout UF quarterbacks showed up on the team at the exact same time you did. It's amazing how those things can happen.

Snyder/Cerrato was a terrible GM pair, but even they probably weren't bad enough at the job to think that signing Danny Wuerffel was a good idea...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, profusion said:

My guess is that Snyder will just find a way to stay at FedEx Field if he can't get the stadium. I just can't picture him relocating the franchise.

First of all, his two best relocation options are San Diego and St. Louis, where the locals were hostile to ponying up for the teams they already had--or at least they didn't want to do so in the NFL's preferred manner. Snyder is well-known as a toxic owner, so I can't see voters in either place being all that excited about opening up their checkbooks for him.

On a completely different subject than the stadium, but one oddly relevant to this thread, I found this laugher from Steve Spurrier in an ESPN article about the new AAF:

Now even the Ole' Ball Coach is throwing Snyder under the bus!

So, Mr. Ball Coach, you're saying it's a complete 100% coincidence that a bunch of third-tier washout UF quarterbacks showed up on the team at the exact same time you did. It's amazing how those things can happen.

Snyder/Cerrato was a terrible GM pair, but even they probably weren't bad enough at the job to think that signing Danny Wuerffel was a good idea...

They did draft Patrick Ramsey and dump him on Spurrier. 

• Like 1
On 2/6/2019 at 12:15 PM, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Oh god please let this be true

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, LightningBuggs said:

They did draft Patrick Ramsey and dump him on Spurrier. 

I guess I'd forgotten about that. But before that, Snyder seems to have given Spurrier all the Gator QBs he wanted. This brings back so many memories of that era. Like someone said, though, at least Snyder and Cerrato were extravagent and entertaining in their incompetence back then. The Snyder/Allen show is just boring and depressing, by comparison.

• Like 1

They are talking about the Spurrier comment now on the radio.

Sad thing for me is the Redskins are such a punchline status that sometimes now people talking about them don't even have to explain their comments -- they just know that people will get it because they are the Redskins.  And heck even boobs like McAdoo and Spurrier can get away with making comments about them.

We got the McAdoo comment like year of hey well the Redskins are the Redskins.  As if everyone would get the shot no need to explain.

We got the Kyle comment recently about he didn't understand why his dad would waste his last shot "for that team"

And now Spurrier talking about choosing the wrong team to coach in the NFL.

Hopefully, this narrative changes some time soon.  Don't think it will happen until either the team wins (not mediocrity but winning), Bruce is let go and we see that Dan can stay out of the way.

My disagreement with the few stragglers (mostly on twitter) left defending Bruce and or Dan is that some of them think that they should be judged purely on their record.  7-9 with excuses for that record -- isn't 3-13 so judge them squarely for that versus their aggregate record under Dan.   The problem with that IMO is the dysfunction-soap opera has always been part of the Dan narrative.  We can't just pretend that isn't in the soup.  It's a key part of the soup.  So when new versions of that arrive it keeps that dysfunction drum beating.  And dysfunctional coupled with mediocrity isn't that different from dysfunction and bad.  It's like saying my kid was a problem child in school behavior wise and was a D student -- but now he remains a problem child behavior wise but he's now a C student.  That's not that big of a difference.   Hopefully someday soon we could be a team that's not mocked.  I recall this article below from Tampa during the season.  I don't think I posted it then.  But its this type of stuff that needs to change.  

https://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/2018/11/07/think-your-nfl-owner-is-bad-dan-snyders-always-worse/

Think your NFL owner is bad? Dan Snyder’s always worse

Say what you want about the Glazers, who are clearly a root cause of the Bucs' slide toward nothingness over the past 11 seasons.

But the Glazers can step aside this weekend, comforted by the fact that there is someone worse.

In fact, King Rat is coming to town with his Washington team.

That would be Daniel M. Snyder, 53, the iron-clawed Tyrannosaurus owner set down in our nation's capital, not to be confused with the Tyrannosaurus set down on Pennsylvania Avenue, who, years ago, in his own turn as a USFL owner, sank an entire football league. Snyder hasn't turned that trick yet. There's always tomorrow.

Washington is 5-3 this season and leads the NFC East. But no sports enterprise in America wears the mark of the pentagram like the team run by Snyder and his fellow werewolf, former Bucs general manager and H.R. Haldeman wannabe Bruce Allen.

Snyder bought Washington in 1999, but his teams haven't won a championship. Its last playoff win came in 2005 — over the Bucs. But Tampa Bay had won it all in 2002. The Glazers are 171-205 in 24 years of Bucs ownership with 10 winning seasons. Snyder is 137-174-1 with six winnings seasons and two playoff victories.

And we're just getting warmed up.

Understand, it isn't easy being the worst in a billionaire boys club filled with scalawags.

But I'll go with Danny Boy....

On 2/6/2019 at 12:19 PM, Wildbunny said:

If that team relocate I'm not sure it'll be my team anymore...

If they moved, I'd switch to the Ravens.  I'm a believer in supporting the hometown team and that is where I grew up.  I'm a Skins fan because Baltimore didn't have a team when I was a kid.  Same reason why I'm an Orioles fan and not a Nats fan.

On 2/6/2019 at 1:10 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd figure its important to the NFL to have a team in the DM

You know Baltimore is in Maryland right?

• TK locked this topic