Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

21 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

This looks like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Yeah,  some beat guys though say Manusky replaced with a bigger name coordinator is the red meat move they are likely to do to appease the fans among other things.  Will see. 

I get sometimes caught in the crosshairs in the whose worse Bruce or Dan and who should be the target of our ire.  I don't give either an out.  But I do think there are some nuances in that discussion.

Among those nuances,  I do think Bruce is the dude that brings the cheap gene to the FO they've become cheap not just with FA but everything.   And before I get pounded for attacking him on it -- yeah its good to be cheap sometimes but life isn't all about extremes -- where its full bore one way or full bore another way. 

That idea that the Redskins are now cheapish that's Bruce's stamp not Dan.  Dan in the past was willing to pay up big for players and coaches.   Bruce doesn't like doing that usually.  So its interesting with all these new head coaches being hired there might be somewhat of a bidding war for the top names.   And can Bruce stomach doing that?  Because if Manusky is under contract it would I think drive him nuts to swallow that contract AND give top dollar to someone else.

I suspect Dan will push it anyway but will see. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah,  some beat guys though say Manusky replaced with a bigger name coordinator is the red meat move they are likely to do to appease the fans among other things.  Will see. 

If they think this will work, they are more out of touch than I thought.

And BTW, for me it's easy. Dan is the main problem, bar none. The buck stops with him and he's the consistent thread that has led to this dumpster fire of an organization that is now the laughing stock of the NFL. Bruce does need to go but Dan will likely find another toady to take his place. Nothing changes until Dan goes.

16 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

If they think this will work, they are more out of touch than I thought.

And BTW, for me it's easy. Dan is the main problem, bar none. The buck stops with him and he's the consistent thread that has led to this dumpster fire of an organization that is now the laughing stock of the NFL. Bruce does need to go but Dan will likely find another toady to take his place. Nothing changes until Dan goes.

I agree with most of this, Dan is the lead jester in the clown show, its his team.  So even if you run with the most extreme take about its all Bruce -- well, who hired the dude.  So Dan is by a mile the biggest issue.

My only difference is from what I've heard and seen from Eric Schaffer and Kyle Smith if either get promoted -- I'd be surprised if they end up just like Bruce.  For me to believe that, I'd have to believe that Bruce was a good dude before he got here and I don't believe that the more Ive delved into it -- I don't think it was an accident that Bruce was called the Prince of Darkness in Tampa and the dude repeated the same mistakes here that his co-worker from Oakland said he did there.

The culture I think will always stink with Dan at the helm.  But I think there is a chance it doesn't stink as much if Dan's drinking buddy leaves.  Said differently, there was a narrative that Bruce is incompetent and a douche before he got here.  There is no such narrative about Schaffer and Kyle.  But could it go haywire with Schaffer and Kyle?  Sure, why not?  But I think we at least have a bit more of a fighting chance.

On an aside, listening to more gossip from beat guys in recent days, they are really hinting hard that Dan and Bruce drink a lot.  If so, it explains some of the craziness. 

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree with most of this, Dan is the lead jester in the clown show, its his team.  So even if you run with the most extreme take about its all Bruce -- well, who hired the dude.  So Dan is by a mile the biggest issue.

My only difference is from what I've heard and seen from Eric Schaffer and Kyle Smith if either get promoted -- I'd be surprised if they end up just like Bruce.  For me to believe that, I'd have to believe that Bruce was a good dude before he got here and I don't believe that the more Ive delved into it -- I don't think it was an accident that Bruce was called the Prince of Darkness in Tampa and the dude repeated the same mistakes here that his co-worker from Oakland said he did there.

The culture I think will always stink with Dan at the helm.  But I think there is a chance it doesn't stink as much if Dan's drinking buddy leaves.  Said differently, there was a narrative that Bruce is incompetent and a douche before he got here.  There is no such narrative about Schaffer and Kyle.  But could it go haywire with Schaffer and Kyle?  Sure, why not?  But I think we at least have a bit more of a fighting chance.

On an aside, listening to more gossip from beat guys in recent days, they are really hinting hard that Dan and Bruce drink a lot.  If so, it explains some of the craziness. 

…..and we know what happened to the Titanic too.  As stated ownership and FO are a sad state of affairs.  I eventually see Snyder selling the team in a few years after sales of season tickets and the price of the new stadium drain him dry.

I wish we could borrow Ant Man's machine and send Bruce Allen to the goddamn quantum realm, never to be seen or heard from again.

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Really, does it matter? We've had the worst D-coordinators here since Gregg Williams. Blache, Haslett, The dingbat from SD that was the Lions DC 0-16, and Manusky. It's going to be another underwhelming name.

Manusky needs to go. Bring in Bowles for an interview. Get somebody in here with some damn pedigree. I have no idea how Jay has managed to have the 3 worst people possible as DC during his tenure. It's incredible.

Just now, ExoDus84 said:

I wish we could borrow Ant Man's machine and send Bruce Allen to the goddamn quantum realm, never to be seen or heard from again.

thanos-snap.gif?w=650

1 minute ago, ExoDus84 said:

Manusky needs to go. Bring in Bowles for an interview. Get somebody in here with some damn pedigree. I have no idea how Jay has managed to have the 3 worst people possible as DC during his tenure. It's incredible.

Look at Vic Fangio in Chicago right now. He turned us down, we got stuck with Joe Barry

19 minutes ago, RWJ said:

…..and we know what happened to the Titanic too.  As stated ownership and FO are a sad state of affairs.  I eventually see Snyder selling the team in a year or two after sales of season tickets and the price of the new stadium drain him dry.

Dan selling?  Now, thats optimistic.  Id love it.  But to your point, the more I digest everything the more relaxed I am feeling.  I think they are headed to the Titanic.  If they double down on mostly the status quo.  And they run the off season like they typically do.  I think there is a chance that it makes last season child's play in terms of fan angst, declining TV ratings and fan attendance.  Looks like Dan might have trouble getting taxpayer help (in theory at least) to fund the stadium.   There are a lot of bad things going on for Dan.  If things get even worse there might be an upside to it.  Bruce leaving is great.  But Dan selling would be the be all and end all. 

I am not exaggerating I think when I say if Dan sold, you'd have dancing in the streets -- be the closest thing in DC for the Redskins to a SB win.

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But didn't they also all believe that McCloughan was fired because he drank too much? Maybe he just couldn't keep up, lol.

7 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Look at Vic Fangio in Chicago right now. He turned us down, we got stuck with Joe Barry

I wanted Vic so badly when SF gave him the axe. I was hot for that man.

But you know, Joe "3rd and long OH THEY SCORED" Barry was a nice consolation prize.

3 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

But didn't they also all believe that McCloughan was fired because he drank too much? Maybe he just couldn't keep up, lol.

Maybe he was Duff McKagan...

Just now, ExoDus84 said:

I wanted Vic so badly when SF gave him the axe. I was hot for that man.

But you know, Joe "3rd and long OH THEY SCORED" Barry was a nice consolation prize.

Joe Barry kept trying to guess their play, and was terribly surprised that the real NFL does not operate like Techmo Bowl.

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Dan selling?  Now, thats optimistic.  Id love it.  But to your point, the more I digest everything the more relaxed I am feeling.  I think they are headed to the Titanic.  If they double down on mostly the status quo.  And they run the off season like they typically do.  I think there is a chance that it makes last season child's play in terms of fan angst, declining TV ratings and fan attendance.  Looks like Dan is might have trouble getting taxpayer help (in theory at least) to fund the stadium.   There are a lot of bad things going on for Dan.  If things get even worse there might be an upside to it.  Bruce leaving is great.  But Dan selling would be the be all and end all. 

I am not exaggerating I think when I say if Dan sold, you'd have dancing in the streets -- be the closest thing in DC for the Redskins to a SB win.

I think it happens sooner ( I changed the wording in my post to a few years) rather than later.  Sad thing is they start the firing with a poor lowly DB coach.  They can't start with the DC?  Wow, what a circus show.

9 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Yeah.  I've been cautious on talking about this subject because I haven't heard this narrative much previously aside from reports around Scot that he drinks but he's in an environment of drinkers at Redskins Park. 

But the picture that's being painted for weeks by different people (but especially by Russell ironically the same dude who broke the Scot story) that Dan and Bruce drink often and a lot.  Russell was talking if I recall with Finley on Dukes' show and they joked about if they can only tell some of the things they've heard and it followed Russell talking about drinking.  Sheehan said the stories he's heard about Bruce in particular are wilder than just what the fans know and if they knew what he knew they'd be even tougher on him.

I am guessing those guys know people at the FO who have witnessed things and don't want the people they talked to reporting it because it would expose themselves as a source and or maybe its not really a reportable story like for example if Bruce and Dan got stinkin drunk and were obnoxious around Redskins Park -- that's not a story that's just random gossip.  But all the drinking mentions are coming left and right like its a problem with both of them.

We laughed for example at the source who said Bruce Allen brushes his teeth with Coors Light but it sounds like there is something to it.  I've heard hints like that about Bruce over the years but the Dan component to it, that's a revelation to me.  And the idea that its rampant to the degree that its a theme to some of the beat guys -- that's becoming a revelation to me as well. 

If they think overhauling the defensive staff will settle fans down, they are likely very wrong.

As for what's Dan's thinking?  If you follow the narratives from beat guys, its confusing.  I got:

A.  Dan is really concerned about his business and sees that its sinking and isn't sure what to do about it.

B.  Dan is likely buying into Bruce-Jay's narrative that the team is really close

C.  Dan-Bruce think their crap doesn't stink and problems are caused by others including blaming Lafemina for the poor attendance this year

D. They want to throw a bone to the fans because they know they are upset

E. They think the fans will get over their angst and its just fans being upset about the losing at the end of the year.

Some of these narratives can overlap but some don't.  Though I'll give people a break on sources on the subject since Dan is the most mysterious and elusive person at Redskins Park so am guessing most of it is conjecture.

Why, exactly, do they think Bowles would appease this fanbase?

Format:

Team - Year - Yd Rank - Pt Rnk - Takeaway Rnk

MIA - 2011 - 15 - 6 - 26

PHI - 2012 - 15 - 29 - 31

ARI - 2013 - 6 - 7 - 6

ARI - 2014 - 24 - 5 - 14

NYJ - 2015 - 4 - 9 - 3

NYJ - 2016 - 11 - 28 - 28

NYJ - 2017 - 25 - 22 - 20

NYJ - 2018 - 25 - 29 - 16

Granted, these rankings don't decide everything about a coach. And people say the guy knows his ****. But he'd need to prove that here because his body of work has been overall not so hot. In some cases worse than what we've had. I'm not saying I'm opposed to him being the DC. But I AM saying I'm not sure why the Skins brass would think he'd appease the fanbase.

7 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’d prefer the big splash to be luring Rex Ryan out of retirement.  I can only imagine the level of entertainment that would provide.

True, he's a dream to the media.   I think they get close to zero splash on D coordinator if it doesn't include FO changes.  The Bowles thing I'd bet is Dan still thinking fans are obsessed with nostalgia as he is. 

to the point below, beat guys say that's the case with Tomsula and Callahan but they might stay, 50-50.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

True, he's a dream to the media.   I think they get close to zero splash on D coordinator if it doesn't include FO changes.  The Bowles thing I'd bet is Dan still thinking fans are obsessed with nostalgia as he is. 

Spot on, SIP.  Dan is not listening to the fans.  The big question is will he ever?

Just now, Mrshadow008 said:

Didn’t they offer pleasant the Dbs job and he turned them down to go to LA with Mcvay? 

I believe this is true.  I think he knew what a mess this organization is and wanted to follow McVay to LA.

47 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:
Blache, Haslett, The dingbat from SD that was the Lions DC 0-16, and Manusky. It's going to be another underwhelming name.

Blache, Haslett, Barry and Manusky...these names tell me this...

1. We probably can't get top echelon coaches to come here or Jay/Allen are idiots.

2. With that Mount Rushmore of names, it's no wonder our defense has sucked for decades.

3. I don't think any of those guys got DC jobs after leaving us, and probably never will.

Archived