Makaveli

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sheehan hinting now for a couple of days that he's hearing Bruce is out after this season.  Finlay concurred but didn't say it was sourced.  Sheehan also says he knows his media friends disagree with him.  I listened to Mike Jones recently who says he hears Bruce is entrenched still.

 

Will see, good test of Sheehan's source whoever that is.   

 

He thinks someone internally is promoted.  They hire a big name as a HC with that HC having some personnel control but that part he was just speculating. 

 

 

 It's going to be Doug Williams.  It shouldn't be, but it will be.  Dan is forever stuck in nostalgia mode and thi nks this is going to be the ultimate "reveal" to get people excited.

Too bad for the fanbase.  He'd rather keep losing "his way" than win by doing what every other team in the league does and hire the most qualified people for the job.  All flash, no substance.

In his mind he needs to have someone with a "recognizable name", and then try and TEACH them the job of GM.  He thinks he needs to sell a name to the fans that they remember and just hope they are competent at a job that has nothing to do with what they are famous for.  

Instead, he needs to hire someone whose name is famous from being a successful GM.  Not a player, not the son of a coach, not a media talking head.

If he wanted a GM, he'd hire someone who is a GM.  He wants a yes man, so he'll hire a "face" that he can market as a GM, and then cross his fingers that this person will somehow be halfway competent at the job despite not being qualified.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am maybe in the minority, but I don’t think Dan is stupid.  I do this he’s arrogant and not self aware, and I think he’s incompetent at building an organization. He is also very uncomfortable being uncomfortable.  He doesn’t like to have his opinions challenged. He likes to be surrounded by people he’s comfortable with.  

 

But I don’t think he’s blind, and I don’t think he’s stupid.  

 

And i think he absolutely knows the amount of money he is not making through ticket sales, sponsorships and merchandise.  He probably knows this number down to s rather precise amount.

 

And Dan is motivated by power, success and money.  

 

So I think (and really hope) that he finally realizes that he has to make a major change because status quo is just not working.  He will probably justify it to himself that it isn’t Bruce’s fault, but he has no choice anymore.  

 

If he comes to this conclusion, his absolute nightmare would be standing up and having to make a statement about firing Bruce, defending the move, and looking wrong.  So I can’t see that happening. 

 

What I see is pursuing a top-name HC, and giving him final personnel say. And at the same time, asking Bruce to work full time on the stadium, and promoting or hiring essentially a head of scouting, but with a big title.

 

Bruce has to go.  For a million reasons.  His ability to put together a roster is awful, he’s a slime low life scumbag, and not respected.  Ask because the team won’t be able to attract any top coaching candidates with him here, and the only chip Dan has to play other than money is roster control.  And that means taking it away from Bruce.

 

I think Dan is going to realize he has to do something dramatic.  And anything dramatic starts with removing Bruce.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

 It's going to be Doug Williams.  It shouldn't be, but it will be.  Dan is forever stuck in nostalgia mode and thi nks this is going to be the ultimate "reveal" to get people excited.

Too bad for the fanbase.  He'd rather keep losing "his way" than win by doing what every other team in the league does and hire the most qualified people for the job.  All flash, no substance.

In his mind he needs to have someone with a "recognizable name", and then try and TEACH them the job of GM.  He thinks he needs to sell a name to the fans that they remember and just hope they are competent at a job that has nothing to do with what they are famous for.  

Instead, he needs to hire someone whose name is famous from being a successful GM.  Not a player, not the son of a coach, not a media talking head.

If he wanted a GM, he'd hire someone who is a GM.  He wants a yes man, so he'll hire a "face" that he can market as a GM, and then cross his fingers that this person will somehow be halfway competent at the job despite not being qualified.

 

I can see that.   The weird issue if he does that though is they've tried to convince people Doug is already in charge -- just about everyone who covers the team has exposed that as a farce.  So Dan would have to go this time I mean it.  😀

 

Doug is a nice guy and classy.  But I hope it's not him.  Hope it's Kyle.    I do agree with your logic, Dan seems obsessed with nostalgia. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not the biggest fan of Steve Czeban but he did raise a good point yesterday on his show. People talk about "winning" like its a binary thing. Yeah we want to win the games and we want to get a 13-3 record and a SB trophy but thats such a far reaching goal right now. And the record shows that under Snyder we can't do the small things right. And as he said this he spoke of things he saw while working at Redskins park (is that where he worked), or should I say for the Redskins. He didn't mention all the stuff on the air but I was thinking of things we did wrong just over the last few years

 

 - the homecoming fiasco where we spelled players names wrong

 - the homecoming fiasco where we aligned the wrong SB QBs with the wrong years

 - not subscribing to BLESTO for draft scouting

 - not having an indoor roof (and Spurrier cancelling practices when it rained)

 - the workout rooms at Redskins park

 - not signing more scouts until Scot Mc & Doug Williams

 

I know there are more things but this really got me thinking in my negatives about how bad things are. Like winning a game is kinda a coin flip, so much can go right or wrong that I don't want to judge based off that. But the things that build up to the game? How much of that are we getting right? I think its one thing to make a bad hire at coach or another position but I'm really thinking about the underlying structure at Redskins park and there seem to be a lot of negatives. I keep thinking that one day Snyder will turn around and get better, or that he will gradually improve but I keep seeing more of these negative things that seem to appear after another is fixed up. 

 

Like, Bruce's area is Homecoming. its something that didn't exist before we had Bruce here. But every year we seem to get embarrassed at Homecoming. Not on the field, but off the field. How do we misspell our best players names? or not know when our best players played? How does that happen in an organization we want to be a winning organization? We want to win the big things (games), but can't win the small things. 

 

That was a depressing segment. 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I'm not the biggest fan of Steve Czeban but he did raise a good point yesterday on his show. People talk about "winning" like its a binary thing. Yeah we want to win the games and we want to get a 13-3 record and a SB trophy but thats such a far reaching goal right now. And the record shows that under Snyder we can't do the small things right. And as he said this he spoke of things he saw while working at Redskins park (is that where he worked), or should I say for the Redskins. He didn't mention all the stuff on the air but I was thinking of things we did wrong just over the last few years

 

 - the homecoming fiasco where we spelled players names wrong

 - the homecoming fiasco where we aligned the wrong SB QBs with the wrong years

 - not subscribing to BLESTO for draft scouting

 - not having an indoor roof (and Spurrier cancelling practices when it rained)

 - the workout rooms at Redskins park

 - not signing more scouts until Scot Mc & Doug Williams

 

I know there are more things but this really got me thinking in my negatives about how bad things are. Like winning a game is kinda a coin flip, so much can go right or wrong that I don't want to judge based off that. But the things that build up to the game? How much of that are we getting right? I think its one thing to make a bad hire at coach or another position but I'm really thinking about the underlying structure at Redskins park and there seem to be a lot of negatives. I keep thinking that one day Snyder will turn around and get better, or that he will gradually improve but I keep seeing more of these negative things that seem to appear after another is fixed up. 

 

Like, Bruce's area is Homecoming. its something that didn't exist before we had Bruce here. But every year we seem to get embarrassed at Homecoming. Not on the field, but off the field. How do we misspell our best players names? or not know when our best players played? How does that happen in an organization we want to be a winning organization? We want to win the big things (games), but can't win the small things. 

 

That was a depressing segment. 

 

 

It's one of the things they drilled into me in the Army: if you don't do the small things right when lives are not on the line, how can we trust you to do the big things right when lives ARE on the line?

 

There are three possible reasons for all of those face-palming failures:

 

1. The employees responsible for checking these things don't give a crap...because the management above them doesn't give a crap either. It all flows downhill. People just show up for a paycheck and take no pride in their work, because why should they?

 

2. The loss of 40+ front office personnel in the last year or so (since Lafemina was given the axe) has forced a smaller staff to take up the slack...and they quite understandably miss these details. We don't even know if the Skins have been able to replace all those staffers in the first place. Probably not, since Snyder loves to get rid of them.

 

3. There are a few people in the front office who are actively sabotaging these efforts in order to make Snyder look bad. I actually think this is the most likely scenario, considering the personnel losses, low pay, and toxic work culture that is perpetuated in Ashburn.

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I am maybe in the minority, but I don’t think Dan is stupid.  I do this he’s arrogant and not self aware, and I think he’s incompetent at building an organization. He is also very uncomfortable being uncomfortable.  He doesn’t like to have his opinions challenged. He likes to be surrounded by people he’s comfortable with.  

 

But I don’t think he’s blind, and I don’t think he’s stupid.  

 

And i think he absolutely knows the amount of money he is not making through ticket sales, sponsorships and merchandise.  He probably knows this number down to s rather precise amount.

 

And Dan is motivated by power, success and money.  

 

So I think (and really hope) that he finally realizes that he has to make a major change because status quo is just not working.  He will probably justify it to himself that it isn’t Bruce’s fault, but he has no choice anymore.  

 

If he comes to this conclusion, his absolute nightmare would be standing up and having to make a statement about firing Bruce, defending the move, and looking wrong.  So I can’t see that happening. 

 

What I see is pursuing a top-name HC, and giving him final personnel say. And at the same time, asking Bruce to work full time on the stadium, and promoting or hiring essentially a head of scouting, but with a big title.

 

Bruce has to go.  For a million reasons.  His ability to put together a roster is awful, he’s a slime low life scumbag, and not respected.  Ask because the team won’t be able to attract any top coaching candidates with him here, and the only chip Dan has to play other than money is roster control.  And that means taking it away from Bruce.

 

I think Dan is going to realize he has to do something dramatic.  And anything dramatic starts with removing Bruce.

 

Your opinion on Dan is what mine was years ago.

 

I am somewhat in the marketing business and worked with some of the same colleagues and competed against some of the same competitors for a long time.   Some have adapted to the times.  Some haven't.  Some are still stuck on models that worked 10 years ago but are outdated now.  In short, some who were once good at it are really bad at it now.

 

I think Dan has been a bad owner from the jump but he did have good marketing instincts.  I got my doubts that he still does.  The difference from now to back in his marketing heyday IMO are:

 

A.  the customer base is much more sophisticated.  You can look up almost anything.  

 

B.  The dude who picks the groceries is much more a bigger deal now as to marketing than they once were.  the national media worships the hot shot GMs now.  If you got one it almost guarantees a lot of good press.  If you don't have one or have the reverse then well you got the Redskins.

 

C.  Fantasy football has increased among other things the value of fans coming to watch super stars.  Flopping on this point is a sneaky way i think Bruce has inadvertently damaged this franchise, I've explained how before.  

 

D.  Social media

 

E.  The sample size has increased hence the cynicism is at a much higher level.

 

Old school Dan -- and am bringing some hyperbole on my end to make a point:   its about the sexy coach, people don't care as much about the GM.  Nostalgia, nostalgia, nostalgia.  Let's sell the new beginnings narrative again. 

 

It just doesn't have that same ring.  Todd Bowles would be so Dan.  And if I recall you like him but we disagree on that.  I think Bowles is a good d coordinator but not a HC.  But the dude is nostalgia.  And I think Dan thinks it will bring fans to the seats.  He would likely be wrong IMO.  To Dan Bowles would be a sexy pick.  And if this was 2005 he'd be correct.  But in 2019, I think the pick is yawn from a marketing stand point but I suspect that point escapes him. 

 

Also Dan seems somewhat socially phobic.  I didn't really get the extent of it years ago but i hear story after story.  Heck Paulsen just told one just now on air that he heard from someone recently there was a golf appointment that Dan was a part of that started at 3 pm and it was 3:06 and Bruce wasn't there yet and Dan went into a panic saying where is Bruce, we need to get Bruce.    And there was another incident where Dan was about to have some social conversation with a few people yet was uncomfortable starting without Bruce and told someone to go get Bruce.  Grant is saying that he heard that Bruce at times has to stop what he's doing sometimes because Dan constantly calls for him.

 

I forgot who said it but someone said Dan knows almost nothing about technology and doesn't even use email.   He made his money in the 90s in telemarketing which is a very 90s business.  Is the dude up with his current fan base and up with these times?  It's not like marketing in 2005 and i got some doubts that Dan has much of a clue.  And yeah I can think of plenty of smart people who got it then but don't get it now. 

 

 

 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

Old school Dan -- and am bringing some hyperbole on my end to make a point:   its about the sexy coach, people don't care as much about the GM.  Nostalgia, nostalgia, nostalgia.  Let's sell the new beginnings narrative again. 

 

It just doesn't have that same ring.  Todd Bowles would be so Dan.  And if I recall know you like him but we disagree on that.  I think Bowles is a good d coordinator but not a HC.  But the dude is nostalgia.  And I think Dan thinks it will bring fans to the seats.  He would likely be wrong IMO.  To Dan Bowles would be a sexy pick.  And if this was 2005 he'd be correct.  But in 2019, I think the pick is yawn from a marketing stand point but I suspect that point escapes him. 

 

I agree with this.  Only switch out Todd Bowles for Gregg Williams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I'm not the biggest fan of Steve Czeban but he did raise a good point yesterday on his show. People talk about "winning" like its a binary thing. Yeah we want to win the games and we want to get a 13-3 record and a SB trophy but thats such a far reaching goal right now. And the record shows that under Snyder we can't do the small things right. And as he said this he spoke of things he saw while working at Redskins park (is that where he worked), or should I say for the Redskins. He didn't mention all the stuff on the air but I was thinking of things we did wrong just over the last few years

 

 - the homecoming fiasco where we spelled players names wrong

 - the homecoming fiasco where we aligned the wrong SB QBs with the wrong years

 - not subscribing to BLESTO for draft scouting

 - not having an indoor roof (and Spurrier cancelling practices when it rained)

 - the workout rooms at Redskins park

 - not signing more scouts until Scot Mc & Doug Williams

 

I know there are more things but this really got me thinking in my negatives about how bad things are. Like winning a game is kinda a coin flip, so much can go right or wrong that I don't want to judge based off that. But the things that build up to the game? How much of that are we getting right? I think its one thing to make a bad hire at coach or another position but I'm really thinking about the underlying structure at Redskins park and there seem to be a lot of negatives. I keep thinking that one day Snyder will turn around and get better, or that he will gradually improve but I keep seeing more of these negative things that seem to appear after another is fixed up. 

 

Like, Bruce's area is Homecoming. its something that didn't exist before we had Bruce here. But every year we seem to get embarrassed at Homecoming. Not on the field, but off the field. How do we misspell our best players names? or not know when our best players played? How does that happen in an organization we want to be a winning organization? We want to win the big things (games), but can't win the small things. 

 

That was a depressing segment. 

 

I llstened to Czaban yesterday too.  I liked when he said Skins are on a death spiral now.  Also he said "Haskins is now Josh Doctson meaning that we gave Josh

three years to get better before he was let go and he believes Skins will give Haskins the same 3 years to see if he is going to be any good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

I agree with this.  Only switch out Todd Bowles for Gregg Williams

 

Gregg isn't a bad example.   IMO Bowles is the better example because I think this disconnect is deeper as to what Dan thinks is sexy versus most of the fan base.  My point is that at one juncture Dan had a good feel for it but I don't think he does anymore.  I am leaving the whether Bowles a good coach or not out of this because I am just focused on whether Dan has lost his touch on the only thing he was once good at and that was marketing. 

 

My theory is if this was the late 1990s or early to mid 2000s, Dan would be dead on that Bowles would be a sexy pick.  The glory years then weren't then eons ago.  The nostalgia card has been played but not like crazy yet.  It would be fun to think that a dude who played for Petitbon is coaching the team.

 

The problem with it now is the nostalgia after all this time rubs some the wrong way for a number of reasons.  A. The card has been played and some don't buy into it anymore and just see it as a ploy now.  2.  It almost runs in your face that the last time we were good was way back in the 80s so let's keep basking in that.   It's gone IMO from having some excitement to if anything some sadness. 

 

The reason why I think Bowles would backfire is that the dude has a rough resume in NY.  I used to read about him in real time because i read the NY papers a lot.   But all the stuff that some people kill Jay here for -- its almost complete apples to apples with Bowles tenure.  Clock management.  Blowing big leads.  Discipline.  But I think if they'd lose he would rub people the wrong way even faster because people would discover the zillion articles like the few i posted here because they are easy to find.  They will see that the NY fans aren't crying for losing Bowles.  Sheehan ironically pushes Bowles from time to time but he admits his NY Jet friends-listeners tell him he's wrong about him.  

 

Also I think Bowles style of not showing an ounce of emotion would run thin fast.   I agree it works for Belichick but he wins. 

 

So yeah if I was advising Dan, I'd hesitate on Bowles.   But I can see how he'd be blown away -- hiring him would be soooo Dan.

 

https://apnews.com/fdb01053939848a48ca30725520866d4

 

Fans at MetLife Stadium booed the team throughout and chanted for the Jets to fire Bowles. That sentiment was echoed by many fans on social media and sports radio Monday morning....

For many, it’s a surprise that there will even be another game for Bowles to coach with the Jets.

He is 23-35 during his run with the Jets, a .397 winning percentage that is better than just one coach in franchise history with at least 30 games in charge: Rich Kotite (.125). And, as anyone familiar with the team knows, that’s one name you’d prefer to not be associated with.

 

https://www.barstoolsports.com/undefined/todd-bowles-just-turned-in-the-worst-coaching-performance-i-think-ive-ever-seen?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhaHWovX25QIVQP7jBx1jFgCjEAMYASAAEgL8XfD_BwE

But what I saw from Todd Bowles today was so atrocious I almost cant even begin to understand what happened. Completely unwinnable challenges. Punting in the 4th quarter down 11 when your defense couldnt stop a nosebleed. Calling a time out when the clock was already stopped only to come out of it and allow a wide open touchdown. Theres bad coaching and then theres coaching that makes you say “is this the first football game this guy has ever watched?” 

 

https://fullpresscoverage.com/2019/01/05/the-once-and-future-coach-bowles/

Bowles, in his faults, including poor time management,

 

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2018/10/29/todd-bowles-hasnt-learned-a-thing/

From the undisciplined play on both sides of the ball to unused timeouts and the vibe that Bowles was coaching not to get blown out instead of to win the game, it’s hard to argue that New York’s head coach is doing a good job on the sideline. He makes the same mistakes week after week and never does a thing to rectify them. He only holds himself accountable in the vaguest of terms, if at all.

The Jets have been hampered by undisciplined play for years and that falls squarely on Bowles. How is it that his teams can commit copious amounts of penalties week in and week out without any consequence? Players are not held accountable for their bonehead plays and Bowles has continually let these types of mental errors slide. Seven pre-snap penalties in a single game are embarrassing and inexcusable, yet Bowles stands on the sideline with a straight face and says nothing near condemnation afterward.

Clock management continues to be an issue, too. Frankly, it’s dumbfounding that a head coach four years into his tenure with a team cannot figure out when to call a timeout or run out the clock. Bowles left timeouts on the board on multiple occasions against the Bears, which is nothing new for him.

 

 

 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

Gregg isn't a bad example.   IMO Bowles is the better example because I think this disconnect is deeper as to what Dan thinks is sexy versus most of the fan base.  My point is that at one juncture Dan had a good feel for it but I don't think he does anymore.  I am leaving the whether Bowles a good coach or not out of this because I am just focused on whether Dan has lost his touch on the only thing he was once good at and that was marketing. 

 

My theory is if this was the late 1990s or early to mid 2000s, Dan would be dead on that Bowles would be a sexy pick.  The glory years then weren't then eons ago.  The nostalgia card has been played but not like crazy yet.  It would be fun to think that a dude who played for Petitbon is coaching the team.

 

The problem with it now is the nostalgia after all this time rubs some if anything the wrong way for a number of reasons.  A. The card ha s been played and some don't buy into it anymore and just see it as a ploy now.  2.  It almost runs in your face that the last time we were only good in the 80s so let's keep basking in that. 

 

The reason why I think Bowles would backfire is that the dude has a rough resume in NY.  I used to read about him in real time because i read the NY papers a lot.   But all the stuff that some people kill Jay here for -- its almost complete apples to apples with Bowles tenure.  Clock management.  Blowing big leads.  Discipline.  But I think if they'd lose he would rub people the wrong way even faster because people would discover the zillion articles like the few i post here because they are easy to find and I am not showing an ounce of emotion style I think would run thin fast. 

 

So yeah if I was advising Dan, I'd hesitate on Bowles.   But I can see how he'd be blown away -- hiring him would be soooo Dan.

 

https://apnews.com/fdb01053939848a48ca30725520866d4

 

Fans at MetLife Stadium booed the team throughout and chanted for the Jets to fire Bowles. That sentiment was echoed by many fans on social media and sports radio Monday morning. Several published stories also speculated that the time to make a change would be now with the Jets heading into a bye-week break.

Instead, owner Christopher Johnson opted to not fire Bowles.

The two were scheduled to have their usual Monday meeting later in the day, but no change in Bowles’ status was expected.

“What gives me faith that I’m the right guy? I coach football,” Bowles said. “As a coach, you go back to the drawing board. And that’s what I’m going to do. We’ll come back and we’ll prepare better and get ready for the next one.”

For many, it’s a surprise that there will even be another game for Bowles to coach with the Jets.

He is 23-35 during his run with the Jets, a .397 winning percentage that is better than just one coach in franchise history with at least 30 games in charge: Rich Kotite (.125). And, as anyone familiar with the team knows, that’s one name you’d prefer to not be associated with.

 

https://www.barstoolsports.com/undefined/todd-bowles-just-turned-in-the-worst-coaching-performance-i-think-ive-ever-seen?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhaHWovX25QIVQP7jBx1jFgCjEAMYASAAEgL8XfD_BwE

But what I saw from Todd Bowles today was so atrocious I almost cant even begin to understand what happened. Completely unwinnable challenges. Punting in the 4th quarter down 11 when your defense couldnt stop a nosebleed. Calling a time out when the clock was already stopped only to come out of it and allow a wide open touchdown. Theres bad coaching and then theres coaching that makes you say “is this the first football game this guy has ever watched?” 

 

https://fullpresscoverage.com/2019/01/05/the-once-and-future-coach-bowles/

Bowles, in his faults, including poor time management,

 

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2018/10/29/todd-bowles-hasnt-learned-a-thing/

From the undisciplined play on both sides of the ball to unused timeouts and the vibe that Bowles was coaching not to get blown out instead of to win the game, it’s hard to argue that New York’s head coach is doing a good job on the sideline. He makes the same mistakes week after week and never does a thing to rectify them. He only holds himself accountable in the vaguest of terms, if at all.

The Jets have been hampered by undisciplined play for years and that falls squarely on Bowles. How is it that his teams can commit copious amounts of penalties week in and week out without any consequence? Players are not held accountable for their bonehead plays and Bowles has continually let these types of mental errors slide. Seven pre-snap penalties in a single game are embarrassing and inexcusable, yet Bowles stands on the sideline with a straight face and says nothing near condemnation afterward.

Clock management continues to be an issue, too. Frankly, it’s dumbfounding that a head coach four years into his tenure with a team cannot figure out when to call a timeout or run out the clock. Bowles left timeouts on the board on multiple occasions against the Bears, which is nothing new for him.

 

 

 

 

Do you have a twitter? You're a great source of Info!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Skinsinparadise I’m not a fan of Bowles nor Gregg Williams as HCs. I think you might remember that I would have given him a shot over Jay if Bruce was still around. But that’s not a ringing endorsement.  Also I said I’d prefer to have Bowles with more control when it came out he had talked to Dan, and it was reported Dan offered to give him more power rather than the combination of Jay and Bruce. Again, that’s kinda like an endorsement of 2 day old pizza.  

 

The thing is, I don’t think Dan is going to think the hot shot GM is going to be sexy enough.  Whether he should or not is a different issue.  I don’t think he will.  And whatever you say about the national media falling in love with GMs, coaches still are the most prominent and recognizable person in the organization, except maybe the QB.  In most organizations it’s Coach/QB in some order, then the owner or the most prominent players, then the Gm.  Put it to you this way:  most fans who really pay attention to the NFL can probably name between 25-32 coaches.  Go up to a guy wearing a Bears jersey at a bar, ask them to name the coach, QB and GM of the Bears .  I’d be willing to bet you’re going to get most folks answering the Coach/QB right and no clue about the GM. I doubt very much many fans can name 5 GMs. 

 

We on an NFL message board who read and live this stuff all the time are not the normal sample of fans.   We typically spend more time reading about, listening to sports talk radio, watching shows about the NFL than most fans.  

 

As much as the hot shot GM is a thing, the NFL is not baseball where the GM is known almost as much as the managers who are seen as somewhat interchangeable.  

 

So back to Dan.  Lets say he wants to change everything around.  He could go find the best GM he could, who most people probably have never heard of, and then let that guy pick the coach. Which I think the more educated Redskins fans would be fine with, but the whole process will be lost on a lot of others.  

 

Or he could go after one of the really hot shot college coaches, or the guy from KC, and throw a ton of money at them and control, and make a bigger splash.

 

Which he’s done before.

 

Personally, I prefer option 1 by a mile. 

 

But I don’t know if Dan can get there in his head.  I think especially after this season he’s going to want to make the biggest splash possible.  And I just don’t see him thinking that the fans are going to be completely jazzed by hiring the assistant personnel director nobody has heard of from Pittsburgh, whereas if he could grab Riley or somebody, that’s going to get people more jazzed.

 

And, he’s not wrong.  The hard core group would definitely prefer option 1.  But it might not result in any type of a splash,  and the more casual fan won’t even understand the move.

 

So whether I agree with the approach or not, I think Dan is going to go for the biggest move he can pull off.  And that’s a coach.  Who he’ll have to give complete control to.

 

And he might get lucky. 

 

Ideally he can find a Marty who can bring in really good personnel guys as well. 

 

Look, the only chance we have at success with Dan owning the team is he gets lucky with something.  Either a coach, GM or QB.  

 

The good news is any splash of any magnitude involves moving on from Bruce because with Bruce in place in his current role, there’s no chance anybody, either coach or GM, with any clout comes here.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

@Skinsinparadise I’m not a fan of Bowles nor Gregg Williams as HCs. I think you might remember that I would have given him a shot over Jay if Bruce was still around.

 

I could have sworn last off season you gave a list of some candidates you'd like and Bowles was on that list.  I recall even debating it back then.   So that's what drove it.  But maybe you changed your mind or I am mis-remembering.

 

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

@Skinsinparadise

The thing is, I don’t think Dan is going to think the hot shot GM is going to be sexy enough.  Whether he should or not is a different issue.

 

I agree.  That was a big part of my point.  It's not a different issue as to my point -- it was my operative point. 

 

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

 And whatever you say about the national media falling in love with GMs, coaches still are the most prominent and recognizable person in the organization

 

I agree with that but it's not as lopsided as it once was.  My point is it used to be an after thought but no more.

 

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

@Skinsinparadise Put it to you this way:  most fans who really pay attention to the NFL can probably name between 25-32 coaches.  Go up to a guy wearing a Bears jersey at a bar, ask them to name the coach, QB and GM of the Bears .  I’d be willing to bet you’re going to get most folks answering the Coach/QB right and no clue about the GM. I doubt very much many fans can name 5 GMs. 

 

 

I'd bet you are right and wrong on that.  Right as to most fans will be more inclined to know the coach.  I wear my Redskins gear a lot, and get into plenty of conversations with people who follow different teams.  When I go deeper at times in conversation a lot of them tend to know their GMs.  Heck some of them even know Bruce Allen's name even though they aren't Redskins fans.  But agree the real causal fans have no idea.

 

I follow different sports.  But from my experience many football fans are intense and know their stuff more so than what I discover on other sports I follow.  Part of what drives me to wear Redskins gear is if I am out in public I almost always get into a conversation.  It could be the cashier, bank teller, it's everywhere and its fun for me.  It's part of the reason why I naturally like coming to the board, it's fun to talk football.   But I find football talk in my travels, too. 

 

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

 

But I don’t know if Dan can get there in his head.  I think especially after this season he’s going to want to make the biggest splash possible.  And I just don’t see him thinking that the fans are going to be completely jazzed by hiring the assistant personnel director nobody has heard of from Pittsburgh, whereas if he could grab Riley or somebody, that’s going to get people more jazzed.

 

 

You are giving the sexiest version of A versus a nonsexy version of B.  Yep if Dan hired L. Riley he'd get a lot of play.  I know you and I disagree on this (or I think we do?) I don't think Dan can get the first tier sexy type of coaches right now.  It would have to be the tier B types, guys like Greg Williams, Rex Ryan, etc.  And I don't think the fans will be over the moon on it.  Though I do agree him selecting one of the better tier B types will give some buzz but IMO nothing crazy. 

 

The last time Dan got major PR buzz was the Scot hire.  And it wasn't because people knew the name.   It was because the idea of having a real personnel guy in charge.  I am in the freaking bathroom with my son at Hollywood studios in Disney, Star Wars section and someone sees my Redskins shirt and says we need to do something about Bruce Allen.  That's just one example.  My neighbor next door, Jets fan, has heard of Bruce Allen and what's going on on that front. It's not that arcane. 

 

The idea of hiring a real personnel guy and dumping Bruce isn't some obscure thing that just us on the board are mostly on top of.  It's clearly gone viral and its everywhere.  

 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

He's like the Titanic captain and pushing full steam ahead right at the iceberg.   The old Dan IMO would at least swerve away at the last minute but then ultimately hit another ice berg.  This version of Dan doesn't swerve.   Both versions stink but this version to me is even more pathetic -- since the old version would at least attempt something.  

 

Dan isn't on the Titanic at all. That's us and the team itself.

 

He is the iceberg.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SkinsFTW said:

Dan isn't on the Titanic at all. That's us and the team itself.

He is the iceberg.

 

Dan's on the Lady S having a Crown and Twerk party, watching us drown in frigid water on his imax. He occasionally goes out to the deck and uses the signal flares to try and pick off unruly fans and big meany writers like Dave McKenna and Mike W-ise.

No help is ever coming.

 

We're in the water like "there's room on that floating pallet," but Alex Smith and his robocop leg is all Kate Winslet hogging up all the space.

 

Bruce was the iceburg.

Or maybe Bruce dressed up like a woman to escape our fate and is on a lifeboat headed to Long Beach California.

Edited by Monk4thaHALL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will Brinson, national NFL guy, just on 106.7 saying from his point of view following the NFL, the Redskins situation is an all time bad one.

 

He goes there have been other teams that have been bad but the difference is with this team the fan base is worn out and checking out.  Dan has turned one of sports all time best fan bases into a skeleton.  And much of this is because he can't get enough of Bruce -- his yes man.

 

I am with people who think Bruce is just one problem and Dan by a mile is the bigger one.  But am with Brinson on the idea that its astounding how much Dan really loves Bruce because he is willing to take it on the chin for him.

 

Firing Bruce won't cure the root of the disease.  But it's such a low hanging fruit to build some hope even if its false hope -- yet Dan won't do it.  At least not yet.  That is one of the reasons why I don't buy anymore Dan doesn't know how to run a team but boy does that dude know marketing.   This dude doesn't know marketing either IMO or that bromance with Bruce is so deep that its more important to him than making more money and winning. 

 

 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, unbeknownst to us, Dan stole all the signal flares before he jumped ship over to the Lady S. 

 

As we're sinking, one of us yells out "shouldn't we send off a flare or two? Just an idea." So people bust into the supply room and grab what looks like flares, only to realize they were filled with airline peanuts after firing them off. 

 

Showers of peanuts falling from the sky as we drown. Now we look over and see Dan playing halo with the real flares. Aiming at grandma who defaulted on her season tickets. 

 

The life preservers, instead of inflating with air, are filled with Coors light, Bruce's emergency stash. 

Edited by Monk4thaHALL
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As the ship angles vertically and descends beneath the waves, Dwayne is still on board asking what he can do to help steer the ship.

He doesn't know what wet means.

 

He's used to the sideline coaches making adjustments just before the snap, like at ohio state, yelling out last second fixes, where they should slide the line protection against the blitz, which matchup has single man coverage, how to flip the hot route. Dwayne just claps his hands for the snap. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Would it be that much of a change for Bruce?  Coors to Corona Light?

 

I prefer Tecate. 

 

Little game we used to play when drinking corona: At first opening, take a healthy gulp or two from the 'rona and refill the space with bacardi.

There's your Bacorona. (Or Bacoroni, however you want to roll).

 

Inserting a lime wedge into the bottle was usually customary and never frowned upon. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

. The Washington Redskins have figured out a lifehack into how to deescalate protests:

 

A "Sell the team" chant has started in FedEx Field. There aren't enough people in the stands to keep it going

 
 
 
 

 

Its brilliant in its simplicty. If you keep your crowd small enough theyll never be able to band together and challenge your incompetence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If he comes to this conclusion, his absolute nightmare would be standing up and having to make a statement about firing Bruce, defending the move, and looking wrong.  So I can’t see that happening. 

Great post, hit the nail on the head with so much.  Just to be clear: when you say Dan would fear looking wrong, do you mean for hiring bruce in the first place, for sticking with him for so long, or for firing him?  Bc I disagree with you on this point: I think if Dan held a press conference to announce he fired Bruce, it would be the most well received appearance he has had in a long time, and would receive a lot of positive short-term PR for Snyder himself.  The fans would have a spark of hope that we have a shot to right the ship.  Danny will look like he finally smartened up, and he can promise brighter days ahead.  People are already well aware of how miserable the Bruce years have been, I don't think him firing him would cause a negative reaction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

 

I prefer Tecate. 

 

Little game we used to play when drinking corona: At first opening, take a healthy gulp or two from the 'rona and refill the space with bacardi.

There's your Bacorona. (Or Bacoroni, however you want to roll).

 

Inserting a lime wedge into the bottle was usually customary and never frowned upon. 

 

Agree Tecate is the best Mexican beer.  

 

I've done the Corona and lime drill.  Never loved it.  Corona with Bacardi?  I googled it and see its a big thing actually.  I could hold my liquor pretty well but mixing anything with beer has always been a loser for me, those were the only times I've ever puked drinking alcohol.  The last one that did me in was 4 beers and then a whisky sour to cap it off.   I can drink on the other hand 6 beers straight and feel totally fine though its been awhile since I've tested that. 😀

 

 

Speaking of alcohol, here's the latest.  I don't know how many variations we have to see of the same stuff to not have a pretty vivid picture of what goes on there.  the story that Bruce brushes his teeth with Coors Light.  The Jerry Jones story about Dan told him the best way to deal with losing on game day is to get plastered.  The nightly drilling sessions between Dan-Bruce to cap off the day.   I don't know if people here caught the glimpse of Bruce during the game when they were getting blown out by the Jets, he seemed like he was oddly in a good mood, drunk?

 

These guys are dumb fools for sure.  But I got little doubt that they are often drunk dumb fools. 

 

https://thefandc.radio.com/this-bruce-allen-dan-snyder-story-is-outrageous

As Grant went on to explain, the reason he's not blown away by the story itself is because we already know Redskins Park isn't a traditional office environment. 

"I don't view Redskins Park as an actual workplace," he said. "I mean these are people that are drinking in their office when they want to. I'm not saying all the time, but they can have a pop, have a beer or whatever it is, have beers in a cooler if they want. It's just not a normal work environment.

"So the fact that a couple guys are getting together to play putt-putt regularly – and I don't know if this is still something done every day or what – doesn't blow my mind. I do think it's funny, though, the idea that Bruce Allen will leave what he's doing occasionally to go have his time, because Dan's like, 'Bruce! Where is Bruce?! I need Bruce right now! We've got a tee time!'"

 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I think if Dan held a press conference to announce he fired Bruce, it would be the most well received appearance he has had in a long time, and would receive a lot of positive short-term PR for Snyder himself.  The fans would have a spark of hope that we have a shot to right the ship.  Danny will look like he finally smartened up, and he can promise brighter days ahead.  People are already well aware of how miserable the Bruce years have been, I don't think him firing him would cause a negative reaction.

 

Finlay was talking about that topic on Dukes today.  He thinks it would even jolt up season ticket sales.    He feels (I agree) that it would be a mega PR boost if he dumped Bruce.  

 

Bruce has easily surpassed Vinny I think at this point as to being hated by the fan base.

 

I vacillate whether actually removing Bruce ends up the be all and end all.   But it's at least a start.  And it astounds me that Dan is willing to do just about anything for that bromance to continue and endure whatever it takes for it to continue. 

 

I'd love to see it happen just for some reassurance that Dan hasn't completely lost his mind or is on some odd kamikaze quest to blow himself up with the team's fan base or his social weirdness is reaching clinical levels.   

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The nightly drilling sessions between Dan-Bruce to cap off the day. 

 

This sounds dirty. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.