Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Seeing the success Mike Mayock is having in Oakland going from TV to GM has me thinking Louis Riddick wouldn't be the worst GM hire.

I like Riddick as for how he comes off on TV but he's been let go from what I read in two different places, with an insider here saying when he was here he wasn't known for his work ethic.

I don't mind promoting Kyle or I'd love to pilfer Will McClay from Dallas. 

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Seeing the success Mike Mayock is having in Oakland going from TV to GM has me thinking Louis Riddick wouldn't be the worst GM hire.

He would be for the Redskins.

Then again hiring Bill Polian wouldn't result in this team winning.

At this point I would be Ok if the Arlington County dog catcher was named GM. They could not be worse than BA. 

On a more serious note, I really do not want any hold overs unless they reapply for their position to the new regime - assuming allen is gone. If he is not, then we will suck another 5 yrs until dan has finally had enough. 

One thing dan seems to not even do is a complete reset. Or if there is, he or the GM or both hire staff for the person incoming. Gut the entire thing and let the person coming in decide who they want. 

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But right now it looks like either the dude is mega tone deaf, just plain dumb or has such deep affection for Bruce that he is willing to sink his ship so he and his BFF can keep their relationship good and strong through now throughout their twilight years. 

There's no reason those things should be exclusive.

They might as well be true altogether...

Dan thinking Marvin will bring fans back.  😂  Dan is one of the youngest owners in the league yet he is so behind the curve and so out of touch with his customer base -- the dude acts more like a 95 year old senile owner who just learned about the Internet. 

The thing is though I doubt Marvin would take the job, I recall his dig about the "culture" back when he was a coordinator here. 

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

At some point Dan is going to have to decide what's more importance his bromance with Bruce or to keep his fan base.

Dan obviously is problem #1 by a mile but most are resigned that he's unlikely going to go anywhere though i do think there is at least a glimmer of a chance of the stadium issue doesn't go his way and then maybe he would sell -- or its fun to think so. 

But canning Bruce is easy. It's the easy low hanging fruit move.   Granted, it won't fix the top problem not even close.  But right now it looks like either the dude is mega tone deaf, just plain dumb or has such deep affection for Bruce that he is willing to sink his ship so he and his BFF can keep their relationship good and strong through now throughout their twilight years. 

It's an easy move for a rational person. Will he do it though? He ditched Vinny eventually when things got really ugly. The unknown is how dependent he is on Allen for the new stadium.

He needs to stop trying to win "his way" and just focus on winning period. Hire someone that isn't for nostalgia and doesn't have ties to the Redskins. It's been 20+ years. It's ridiculous at this point. He has absolutely no clue how to run a successful football organization.

I've said it before, but Allen leaving will do nothing. This franchised sucked before Bruce Allen. Dan hired Spurrier. Dan hired an OC before a head coach and then had to make the OC the head coach because no one else would walk into that. Vinny's come back twice. Who's not to say that Vinny doesn't come back. We've heard a million times from talk radio thaat "Snyder's starting to learn to step back and let the football minds take over," but we all know Dan won't let that happen. He will hire a yes man if he ever does fire BA. But BA is George Allen's kid and Dan likes to collect Redskins humans on his payroll (George's kid, Doug Williams, etc). Wouldn't shock me if he ever hired Sammy Baugh's great grandkid to a $100k job to make coffee runs and get beat by Dan in checkers in the offseason.

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

At some point Dan is going to have to decide what's more importance his bromance with Bruce or to keep his fan base.

Dan obviously is problem #1 by a mile but most are resigned that he's unlikely going to go anywhere though i do think there is at least a glimmer of a chance of the stadium issue doesn't go his way and then maybe he would sell -- or its fun to think so. 

But canning Bruce is easy. It's the easy low hanging fruit move.   Granted, it won't fix the top problem not even close.  But right now it looks like either the dude is mega tone deaf, just plain dumb or has such deep affection for Bruce that he is willing to sink his ship so he and his BFF can keep their relationship good and strong through now throughout their twilight years. 

Allen may be low hanging fruit, but that is a pick I'd do in an instant.

Snyder isn't going to sell the team; he's just not gonna do it. He's a Redskins fanboy, and a rich one at that. As much as I try to keep calm by basking in the 1980's, in his mind he is doing the same.

BUT, removing Allen is key, IMO;  PROVIDED, he hires a GM who has the backbone to put Snyder in his place. Telling him to just sit back and sign the checks, don't pop up on the sidelines, don't fly around wining and dining possible draft picks, just sign the checks, maybe show up in the locker room after a hard fought win once in awhile, and enjoy the ride.

Success in the NFL is all about the detail, from top to bottom. A good GM, good assistants in the FO, good scouts, even hiring more asst. coaches to work with players on fine tuning their game. This is something that a GM who has the hanging set should tell Snyder, and provided he does hire a good GM, it could happen a lot easier than many think.

Besides that, Snyder selling the team, the high probability that the new owner changes the name and even the chance that he moves the team; for a storied franchise as the Redskins, that's not something I'm willing to accept. Some may be for it, but not me.

9 minutes ago, Makaveli said:

It's an easy move for a rational person. Will he do it though? He ditched Vinny eventually when things got really ugly. The unknown is how dependent he is on Allen for the new stadium.

He needs to stop trying to win "his way" and just focus on winning period. Hire someone that isn't for nostalgia and doesn't have ties to the Redskins. It's been 20+ years. It's ridiculous at this point. He has absolutely no clue how to run a successful football organization.

yeah the stadium I gather is the wildcard.  But he can always reassign Bruce and stick him just on that.  

I get those who think firing Bruce won't solve things.  But I am not even going that deep on it now -- am just on the point that Dan is just wildly sticking to Bruce regardless of the easy PR win if he fired him today.  So he's willing to go really deep and take it on the chin to keep his BFF it seems.   Russell has been talking about that post game -- that is, this team is bleeding fans and if Dan wants to at least try to stop the bleeding fire Bruce now not in the off season.  Similar to what he did in season ironically with Vinny about 10 years ago. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

yeah the stadium I gather is the wildcard.  But he can always reassign Bruce and stick him just on that.  

Well he did reassign Bruce to business ops to hire Scott. Scott got fired.

He did reassign Bruce to Football to hire LaFemina regardign Business ops. LaFemina was fired.

Kick Bruce out from the door, he'll get back quickly by the window...

On 11/13/2019 at 9:19 AM, goskins10 said:

If/When that happens then fine. Until then it's just conjecture. The whole - "well we all know" is not valid without data to support it. 

SO again, I never said they were playing great or even good. I specifically said "better" only. There is another stat that is in their favor - but only barely - 3rd Dn % has gone from 56.4% to 40.2% - nothing to brag about but statistically significantly better. In this case i would agree that they were so bad they really could only go up.

You were right. We didn't even have to put up any points for a team like the Jets, ranked 32nd in offense, to put up 34 on our supposedly improved defense.

3 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

He did reassign Bruce to Football to hire LaFemina regardign Business ops. LaFemina was fired.

Imagine a guy harder to get of than Vinny. Harder to get rid of than roaches. That's Bruce. He's out-Vinny'd Vinny.

10 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Telling him to just sit back and sign the checks, don't pop up on the sidelines, don't fly around wining and dining possible draft picks, just sign the checks, maybe show up in the locker room after a hard fought win once in awhile, and enjoy the ride.

Success in the NFL is all about the detail, from top to bottom. A good GM, good assistants in the FO, good scouts, even hiring more asst. coaches to work with players on fine tuning their game. This is something that a GM who has the hanging set should tell Snyder, and provided he does hire a good GM, it could happen a lot easier than many think.

Snyder will never let anyone with that type of my way or the highway attitude run the team because it would take away all of his fun.

It's not gonna happen.

1 minute ago, SkinsFTW said:

Snyder will never let anyone with that type of my way or the highway attitude run the team because it would take away all of his fun.

It's not gonna happen.

He had one taste of that under Schottenheimer and realized it wasn't for him.

😥

26 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

It's not gonna happen.

I disagree.  He’s given complete control to s coach 3 times: Marty, Gibbs, Shanahan.  

I think he’ll go to the well again.  Way overpay for a guy he likes, and give them everything they want.

The difference is  he’s not having fun now either.  Bruce is making a lot of the decisions, and they are losing, and they are losing money.

Dan wants something splashy to at least generate interest.  Which I don’t blame him for.  So either it’s a huge haul of big name FAs or a big name coach.  I think it actually might be both.  

42 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

You were right. We didn't even have to put up any points for a team like the Jets, ranked 32nd in offense, to put up 34 on our supposedly improved defense.

I knew someone would take the garbage cheap shot that is of course meaningless to the conversation.

They played like **** today. The whole team did. That has nothing to do with they were playing better. That was and still is a fact. No one said great or even good. Just better. No one said it meant they would play better forever. Today they did not. Doesn't make the original comment wrong. In fact my entire comment was more about why were they playing better and was it sustainable.

Clearly they took a huge step back. My guess is they got a boost as they wanted Jay gone but after several weeks of playing well enough to win only to see no support they are done - checked out.

14 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I knew someone would take the garbage cheap shot that is of course meaningless to the conversation.

They played like **** today. The whole team did. That has nothing to do with they were playing better. That was and still is a fact. No one said great or even good. Just better. No one said it meant they would play better forever. Today they did not. Doesn't make the original comment wrong. In fact my entire comment was more about why were they playing better and was it sustainable.

Clearly they took a huge step back. My guess is they got a boost as they wanted Jay gone but after several weeks of playing well enough to win only to see no support they are done - checked out.

Dude you check out when they start Hasstinks, you think the players dont know after practicing with him they dont know he calls plays like he has marbles in mouth, or that he doesnt run the offense, or that they have to run a middle school offense with him out there.

1 hour ago, Wildbunny said:

Actually Bruce wasn’t reassigned that year, he still held the president role and final say.   Just most of us assumed then that Scot became the defacto GM alas we found out later it wasn’t true.

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yes he would.

Riddick was Vinny Bugeyes right hand man. He was subsequently the architect of Philly's disastrous dream team. When he and Scot Campbell switched responsibilities and Riddick was put in charge of pro scouting, we went from signing Cornelius Griffin, Marcus Washington, and Shawn Springs to trading multiple draft choices for Brandon Lloyd and a record contract for Archuleta.

RIDDICK SUCKS and would be nothing more than Vinny Part Deux, enabling Dannyboy's worst tendencies.

...Something that was unthinkable for my entire lifetime, since my Sammy Baugh-loving father took me to see the Redskins play the Baltimore Colts on my 10th birthday in 1957, has now become obvious. The change happened slowly, then over the past 18 months as the Nats, Caps and WNBA’s Mystics showed that Washington could win titles, the flip happened fast: The Redskins lost Washington.

It took Washington owner Daniel Snyder 20 years to carve a trap door under his own franchise. Like a character in a cartoon, he has been sawing a circle in the floor around himself — with the billionaire the last person to know that he was the one who would drop through the hole.

Before kickoff Sunday, tickets could be bought online for $10 — almost unthinkable to get into an NFL game. Good seats were available for not much more. The franchise that, two seasons ago, claimed it had a years-long waiting list for season tickets, now sees its tickets fetching about half the price of a “Toy Story 4” ticket.

Walking into the stadium, fans of the two teams were teasing each other — good-naturedly because both of their franchises are symbols of massive, long-standing mismanagement. “How can you pay to see that team,” yelled a Jets fan. “My tickets only cost $30,” came the answer.

Yet, at near giveaway prices, the stadium was still half-empty and half of the fans who attended wore the green gear of the Jets.

As Washington waited to receive the second-half kickoff, down 20-3, return man Steven Sims, Jr., a rookie and still perhaps a bit naive, turned to the end zone crowd just a few yards behind him. Over and over, he waved both arms upward, pleading for their support in a silent stadium. Finally, three fans, perhaps out of pity, stood up.

...Remember, this Jets team is a much-injured bunch who entered the game at 2-7, outscored by 108 points, a 2½ -point underdog and dead last in the NFL in offense.

...Year after year, it is the Redskins’ pattern, and perhaps their policy, to never admit that anything is wrong and to always say that they are “close.” That is always the word —coaching regime after regime. They almost never are. It’s self-delusion and marketed to suckers.

...This team has dominated Washington sports conversation for so long, it’s hard to believe it can veer so amazingly close to irrelevance, parody and pity — for its remaining fans.

As the Boston Redskins in 1936, this team lost the NFL championship game, then won the NFL title in 1937 as soon as it got to D.C. In its first nine years in Washington, it played in the championship game five times. The Redskins owned the town immediately, Senators a distant second.

Even in two awful years — 1-9-2 and 1-12-1 in 1960 and ’61 — you couldn’t get cheap tickets to a Redskins game. I know. As a 14-year-old, I’d have paid more than $1.25 in odd-job money — the equivalent of $10 for the Jets game now — to ride my bike to RFK Stadium to see my team. Trust me, none were to be had. Now, half the stadium empty and half of the rest rooting for the enemy? A nightmare beyond comprehension.

Mark the moment in D.C. history. Long time coming — and deserved, one defeat and misdeed at a time. But the crash, when it came, happened fast. Washington, owned by a pro football team, year ’round — that’s over now. Hail to a much different future.

36 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It took Washington owner Daniel Snyder 20 years to carve a trap door under his own franchise. Like a character in a cartoon, he has been sawing a circle in the floor around himself — with the billionaire the last person to know that he was the one who would drop through the hole.

Finally somebody else is on the Wile E Coyote comparison!

FickleUnlinedAlleycat-size_restricted.gi

Archived