Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should we trade Breeland?

lavar1156

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

I wish this was a poll so I could vote "no".  I still haven't given up on him yet, he's not a bad corner, feel like he was doing better then last year.

I agree he is playing well. But are we going to be able to resign him? Probably not. Sell high.

1 minute ago, lavar1156 said:

I agree he is playing well. But are we going to be able to resign him? Probably not. Sell high.

sell high is the correct move here,.  we've got dunbar and moreau is waiting in the wings..  bree probably gone in the off season anyway.  may as well get some value for him now..

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Why not?  It's not like we need to save money for bringing Pryor back.

But we have Dunbar, Fuller, and Moreau. Doesn't make sense. We may need to sign Kirk to another tender not to mention we have a few more looming contracts, including Scherff.

I think about these things by looking at cost-basis. What can we get for him + the liklihood of resigning him - his worth to us this season.

For a late round draft pick, his value to us this season is probably greater than someone who has low probability of making the team and contributing (which is true of most low draft picks). Trading him for a fifth or worse may be similar to giving him away for free or for someone who you hope turns into a long term back up/special teamer. If you can get a 1st or a 2nd then you get into an interesting conversation, but I doubt anyone will go there because because he's both injured and only under contract for this season. A (high) third might be worth having a conversation about, but that's really only if the liklihood of resigning him is close to zero.

I personally think we should be listening to offers for (or even letting teams know the availability of) any player on an expiring contract. My only exception would be guys you truly believe will be re-signing with you. At 3-4 with the injuries that we have, this team should be selling rather than considering being a buyer. Hell, even if someone like Breeland left for the final 9 games, he could still ultimately wind up back here during FA.  

Breeland's been playing really well this year.  He ain't going to be cheap next year, that's for sure.  If the FO is planning on moving on from Kirk, I'm not sure it would make sense to re-sign Breeland.  Dunbar though, I'd hope to re-sign.  We won't get the compensation to match Breeland's skills (due to hitting FA after this year), but we're really close to the point of this year being a wash.  

1 hour ago, lavar1156 said:

But we have Dunbar, Fuller, and Moreau. Doesn't make sense. We may need to sign Kirk to another tender not to mention we have a few more looming contracts, including Scherff.

I'm not ready to crown any of those guys you mentioned, and its to our benefit to have of all things the secondary be a strength in today's NFL.  Scherff is under contract next year, and I hate to say it, but if Kirk plays hardball again, he needs to go, no way I let him play under the tag again, not for $34 million, hell no.  Like you said, we have other guys we want to bring back, like Zach Brown.  If we can get Kirk contract figured out, I can't agree with not making an offer to Breeland, but that's just me.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/washington-redskins/

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Redskins are "trying to land a wide receiver before the deadline."

Terrelle Pryor's fantasy value is already dead and buried, but, if true, this would be a big blow to Josh Doctson's moving forward. It is also possible Washington is looking to replace Jamison Crowder or Ryan "Gruden" Grant, but that duo has looked locked into their spots as of late.

44 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

At 3-4 with the injuries that we have, this team should be selling rather than considering being a buyer.

Selling injured players?  Did the Spurs sell David Robinson when they sucked the year before drafting Tim Duncan?  Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor??  Did Joe Theismann fail to call time out just before end of the Dallas game in 1979???  No!  No!! and No!!!  If all our players were healthy and we still sucked, that's one thing.  However, our injury factor is huge this year, which means get healthy and continue to improve though draft and FA.

Archived