Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should we trade Breeland?

lavar1156

11 minutes ago, Bang said:

What we ought to do is take all  of our draft picks and throw them out into the gutter.

What is the point if all we do is run them out of town when their first deal comes up?

~Bang

No, you can't resign every good draft pick. You have to pick and choose. You replace the ones you let go with more (and affordable) draft picks.

seems like teams that are trading players are getting very little value for them. Dolphins trade RB Jay Ajayi to Eagles for fourth-round pick. Patriots deal QB Jimmy Garoppolo to 49ers for 2018 second-round pick. Seahawks get Duane Brown from Texans for Jeremy Lane, picks. Kelvin Benjamin traded for a third and seventh. Probably couldn't get more than a fifth for breeland

45 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

No, you can't resign every good draft pick. You have to pick and choose. You replace the ones you let go with more (and affordable) draft picks.

On a team with so few good draft picks over the last 2 decades, i'd be hard pressed to understand why you give up a key ingredient like an outstanding corner and keep so many others who are maybes or not-gonnabes.

Breeland is becoming what we drafted him to be.

CB is one of those positions.. if you have it you have to keep it, If you can man up outside receivers it is a huge advantage.

He might be trade bait, but frankly, i don't want to give him up for just anything, and what is out there is a lot of 'just anything"..  obviously it would depend on the deal, Jarvis Landry seems nice, but who knows. 

If all you keep doing is replacing good draft picks with other :"affordable" draft picks that may or may not ( Most likely will not) get to the point Breeland is now, you never stop building. And yo have a constant revolving door of talent that never congeals into a team. 

because if you draft a guy in the 4th round he DOES get to be this good in a few short years, well, off he goes for the next guy we manage to locate deeper and cheaper.

Breeland's a 3rd round pick as i recall. he's playing like a solid #2 corner in the making. He's due a raise, but not the moon. I'd like to see us lock him up and build, like we did with Kerrigan and Moses..  you build foundation..  or you keep fishing.

Catch and release fishing, at that.

~Bang

With Wentz, Dak, OBJ, Alshon Jeffrey in the division, I've actually chanrged my mind on Breeland. He's not just playing well, he's playing REALLY well this season. If we move Kirk on, draft a QB, and spend the Kirk/Pryor money on a WR to replace and Pryor, Resigning Breeland, re-signing Zack Brown and a decent Running Back (all of which is pretty darn close to doable on the $32m saving of Kirk/TP) then we'll be in really good shape for next season, and can afford to keep any of the other potential FAs we want.

I think with the emergence of Wentz in particular, it's pretty important to keep Breeland around if we can.

18 hours ago, Bang said:

On a team with so few good draft picks over the last 2 decades, i'd be hard pressed to understand why you give up a key ingredient like an outstanding corner and keep so many others who are maybes or not-gonnabes.

You don't. Under normal circumstances.  And I wouldn't.  There is the caveat that he's probably a top 20 DB in the league at the moment, and he's going to be an UFA at the end of the year.  So, you're going to have to pay him.  If you're not going to do that, then moving him is fine, I guess.  But I would prefer that you keep him and pay him.  

Breeland is becoming what we drafted him to be.

Flashed early, became a head-case, and now that Barry and that idiot DB coach are gone, back to being very productive.  Barry was such a fool.  

CB is one of those positions.. if you have it you have to keep it, If you can man up outside receivers it is a huge advantage.

Yep.  Never have enough DBs.  You need 3 starters, minimum, and 2 SOLID backups.  

He might be trade bait, but frankly, i don't want to give him up for just anything, and what is out there is a lot of 'just anything"..  obviously it would depend on the deal, Jarvis Landry seems nice, but who knows. 

The real question is if they are going to pay him in the off-season.  If not, the season is already lost, and I have no problem moving him for anything better than the 3rd round compensatory pick we'll get back if he leaves.  (I think it would be a 3rd rounder.)  Again, I'd prefer to pay and keep him.  

Breeland's a 3rd round pick as i recall. he's playing like a solid #2 corner in the making. He's due a raise, but not the moon. I'd like to see us lock him up and build, like we did with Kerrigan and Moses..  you build foundation..  or you keep fishing.

He was a 4th rounder, 102nd overall in 2014.  

I agree, I'd do a deal with him now.  But it's going to be pricey.

Gee, if we didn't have to reserve $29 million (minimum) for a good but not great QB, this would be a lot easier.  Damn you Bruce.  

On 01/11/2017 at 4:31 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

Gee, if we didn't have to reserve $29 million (minimum) for a good but not great QB, this would be a lot easier.  Damn you Bruce.  

We don't. Let Kirk go and draft someone. That's the only solution. Sick of being held to ransom by the dude. If he wants to be here, he needs to sign a deal that proves it - he's made his money out of us, more than he or his family can ever hope to spend - now he needs to sign a team friendly deal that allows to keep pieces like Breeland in place, or he can walk as far as I'm concerned. In fact, I'd rather he walked anyway but I don't want to turn this into another KC thread.

On 10/31/2017 at 5:09 PM, lavar1156 said:

Precisely - and you have to know which ones you might not be able to re-sign and get value for them when you can. If this season isn't going to result in a playoff run and if you believe Breeland will walk in FA, why wouldn't you have considered trading him for SOMETHING? 

18 hours ago, UKskins said:

We don't. Let Kirk go and draft someone. That's the only solution. Sick of being held to ransom by the dude. If he wants to be here, he needs to sign a deal that proves it - he's made his money out of us, more than he or his family can ever hope to spend - now he needs to sign a team friendly deal that allows to keep pieces like Breeland in place, or he can walk as far as I'm concerned. In fact, I'd rather he walked anyway but I don't want to turn this into another KC thread.

The GM called him "Kurt" numerous times in a press conference, and they lowballed the **** out of him when he could've been had on the cheap.  Being held ransom by the dude?  More like being in a state of flux due to our FO(Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder) stupidity.  

On the topic of Breeland, I don't see how we keep him beyond this year.  He whined and ****ed when we signed Norman, and one reason why we didn't have Norman shadowing #1 WR's early last season is to appease him.  He's also too inconsistent.  One great game, followed by a horrible one.  He was getting abused in the KC game, also missing key tackles going for the big hit.  There are also other, more important players we need to re-sign like Zach Brown, Preston Smith(nearing the end of his deal),and I think Swearinger is on a one year deal as well.   Dunbar is developing nicely and although he had a bad game against Dallas, he has been pretty solid for the most part this season.  We also have Fabian Moreau, who has a higher upside than Breeland.  

Archived