Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sexism in Sports Journalism (in response to Cam Newton incident)

codeorama

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Katie Carrera was also top-notch as the Caps beat writer.  The current one, Isabelle, K[something], is also solid. 

Frankly, I think the overreaction is due more to his declining play than this one incident.  Dannon was probably looking to get out from under now that he isn't anything close to MVP caliber anymore.  Also, there is just a constant undercurrent that people don't like black QBs. 

I think you're right about Dannon distancing themselves, it was the perfect timing.  That and I've always felt ( I could be wrong, don't gang up on me ES Tailgate) that the yogurt is something women buy more than men.  

Disagree about people not liking black QBs.  Look at the hype Deshaun Watson is getting.  People seem to love Russell Wilson.  We thought RG3 was Jesus in cleats until his knee went and he turned into such an idiot #knowyourwhy  Doug Williams is a legend.  Ron Mexico somehow shook off that whole dog fighting incident and is now working for Fox.  No one hated that guy cause he was a black QB, everyone hated him for what he did to dogs.  Jameis Winston is a good example of someone who did dumb stuff in college but has been pretty spotless in the NFL.  Now he's well liked and respected.

Cam is just an idiot, no two ways about it.  Constantly inserting his foot into his mouth, acting like a petulant **** (see post Superbowl presser) with a history of dumb moves to boot (laptop incident).  Do dumb stuff, say dumb stuff and your race or your position on the football field doesn't matter.  I think that's probably a rule for life as well.

I actually agree with Codeorama but what Cam did was stupid because he embarrassed and belittled the reporter and made the press conference awkward.

If I'm looking for true insight or knowledge about a sport I rarely listen or read anything anyone says unless they have played the game (Except for ES) and it doesn't matter if its a woman or a man, there are too many so-called experts out there that don't have a clue and quite frankly 99.9% of them are men.

4 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Without opining on Cam directly, I think it is ridiculous to think that someone that hasn't played the game in the NFL or college is unable to understand the game as well as anyone.. 

Agreed.  If we couldn't understand the game... why would we watch?

5 hours ago, Destino said:

Also if you refer to women as "females" in a professional setting, you're putting everyone's sexism radar on high alert

I'll add that to the list of things I didn't know where an issue, but apparently are an issue.

Don't need an HR report because I was unaware of the latest trending sensitivities 

3 hours ago, Bang said:

Anyway, to the topic,, cam made a mistake. And of course, loses a huge endorsement deal as a result, because it's better to throw someone out than expect them to learn and grow.

Learn what, exactly?

To not say dumb stuff like that?

I don't think he's going to change his viewpoint on that.  he's only going to learn how to not let it leak out.

I don't think grown adults are likely to change their views on whether someone is inferior based on sex/race/etc. Just hide it.

1 minute ago, tshile said:

Don't need an HR report because I was unaware of the latest trending sensitivities 

Seriously...I think you need a side order of stfu.  Unless you think a couple of 50-60-something women can talk your "language". 

Bartender for most of my life.  I can tell you the score when you walk in.  It's my job.  Nevermind that I actually might give a crap and be hangin' on to a walk from the                 plate that scores the winning run.

Or a touchdown to win.  Some of us watch everything.

1 minute ago, skinsmarydu said:

Seriously...I think you need a side order of stfu.  Unless you think a couple of 50-60-something women can talk your "language". 

Bartender for most of my life.  I can tell you the score when you walk in.  It's my job.  Nevermind that I actually might give a crap and be hangin' on to a walk from the                 plate that scores the winning run.

Or a touchdown to win.  Some of us watch everything.

I don't even know what you're talking about

Here's the other thing about Codeorama's original post.  She wasn't offering or asking about a "detailed analysis discussion regarding specifics of the game," as codeorama put it.  She just wanted a quote from Newton about teammate Devin Funchess.

And for a high school coach to claim he won't talk to parents about the sport their kids play is pretty ****ing arrogant, come to think of it, code.  Bad post IMO.

2 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Here's the other thing about Codeorama's original post.  She wasn't offering or asking about a "detailed analysis discussion regarding specifics of the game," as codeorama put it.  She just wanted a quote from Newton about teammate Devin Funchess.

And for a high school coach to claim he won't talk to parents about the sport their kids play is pretty ****ing arrogant, come to think of it, code.  Bad post IMO.

Don't think there's some slack to cut here?

I definitely see why a pro athlete would be bored by reporters. Especially these days. They're drama seeking pot stirrers looking for something to fit within 144 characters. There are quality reporters, I don't see many of them, and even they dabble in the crap to keep their job when they need to.

I just don't think that's what cam was doing. I don't follow him though. Maybe he does that stuff to reporters often?

And from what I've seen from kids sports around here I wouldn't talk to the parents either ;)

(They're really really bad, and my God do they treat refs/umps like garbage in front of everyone)

9 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Sorry, not really directed at you.

:cheers:

3 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

More disrespectful:

Cam in this press conference or Belichick in every press conference he's given in the last 20 years?

I actually enjoy athletes who refuse to play the reporters game of pretending to be your friend for access then throwing you under the bus as soon as it's convenient

When belichick starts calling out someone's credentials in front of others for their race or gender I'll have a problem with it.

He's an equal opportunity snob ;)

12 hours ago, tshile said:

Learn what, exactly?

To not say dumb stuff like that?

I don't think he's going to change his viewpoint on that.  he's only going to learn how to not let it leak out.

I don't think grown adults are likely to change their views on whether someone is inferior based on sex/race/etc. Just hide it.

If people were truthful, many of the lessons we 'learn' in this regard are what not to say.

People tend to say stupid things even if they don't really mean it.. sometimes they may think they're being funny..  which is sort of what i took away from this..  he stopped laughing and answered her question after seeing no one joined his laughter.
But even if he didn't think it was a joke..  holy smokes.. he's an alpha male all star QB that has been coddled since he was old enough to hold a football, and it just mIGHT be he doesn't really have the maturity to exist out in the world where we other people must live. He may need to learn some of the humble graces of society.

Someone said he made the entire press conference uncomfortable, and I think that is because we have made the world a minefield, and as soon as the little click of the trigger is heard, everyone holds their breath for the inevitable explosion, which often has the same effect on a person's career as the mine does on their legs.

what he said was wrong.

Was it "shocking"?
oh my Dannon Yogurt was SHOCKED.. their release said they were "Shocked" by his comment.. oh my stars and garters, they were SHOCKED! SHOCKED by a silly little moment of stupidity.

I understand several board members fainted, and retailers across the country called up in tears to be reassured, and i am not sure, but i heard there was going to be some group therapy to help office staff cope with this horrible, terrible, dare i say, SHOCKING event.
"Shocked". They chose the perfect word to illustrate how overblown we turn every little thing into.

Because little things like a social faux pas are SHOCKING, everything has to be a BIG GIANT THING.

Even a small thing that can be corrected by a coach saying "Hey, don't do that anymore, you sound like an idiot"..  which based on his reaction after the room fell into shocked silence in their horror at the terrible words he uttered, he figured out on his own.

It's ridiculous. Those poor people had to listen to a guy make a bad joke (OR, make a mistake and say something ignorant, take your pick) for about 12 seconds. I certainly hope they recover.. i know it will be a long road until they are back on their feet.. but i think they'll manage if we all send over our thoughts and prayers.

~Bang

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I think you're right about Dannon distancing themselves, it was the perfect timing.  That and I've always felt ( I could be wrong, don't gang up on me ES Tailgate) that the yogurt is something women buy more than men.  

Maybe cause you've never had Dannon made with whole milk. So good and excellent in smoothies. One of the side benefits of having a kid that loves yogurt. 

7 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Twitter history?

Yup....she condones racism. 

20 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Maybe cause you've never had Dannon made with whole milk. So good and excellent in smoothies. One of the side benefits of having a kid that loves yogurt. 

I can co-sign this...dannon w/ whole milk is delicious. 

6 hours ago, mcsluggo said:

Ken Beatrice's background was a pencil necked DMV clerk... and he was the best Redskins reporter in my lifetime.   

your position is absurd.  

(and i will try to remember your certification requirements the next time you opine on politics/social matters/economics/legislative affairs/diplomacy/.... well, anything in the world other than High School sports.)

Posting on a message board is one thing, getting paid to be an expert in a field is another.  

6 hours ago, justice98 said:

I never really got why it was acceptable for women to be in a male locker room right after a game.  I think male athletes kinda got bullied into going along with that.  A bunch of men standing around a women's locker room while they strut around half naked would never fly. 

Totally agree.

6 hours ago, PeterMP said:

Bill Walsh played for 2 years at the highly touted College of San Mateo.

Bill Belichick played at highly touted Weslyen University.  Belichick has employed several people that had minimal football experience as coaches.  Charlie Weis didn't play in college, and I'm not sure he even played in high school.

Todd Haley never played football at all (his dad did and worked in teams front offices).

In short, Bill Walsh played college football

Bill Belichick played college football.

Charlie Weis sucks

Todd Haley sucks..

you kinda made my point for me.

2 hours ago, Dan T. said:

As a high school coach, I definitely talk to the parents of the kids "I coach".  Should have said it better, but I don't talk to parents in other situations at games I attend. I hear a lot of nonsense and such. I don't get into it.  

I posted based on what I understood to be the case based on sports radio.  

Archived