Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

4 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Tbh, I'm right there with you Kilmer. But I suspect incremental change is the only change in the US that can be achieved when it comes to guns.  

America is a gun.

DWFd2WkVQAAvX8V?format=jpg

I refuse to accept that.  There are enough people on the right like me that share this view.  We just dont have anyone in office that does.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

When people who share your views talk like this all it makes people on the other side want to do is double down on their views.  If you want to have legit conversations and find meaningful solutions you need to understand that this is a very complex problem that can’t just be legislated away at this point.  

You say you want legit conversations but you are put off by my bringing up the fact that MY Republican governor has CUT school funding which is resulting in actual school closures, and yet you want those SAME school systems to fund teacher SWAT teams? What is so offensive about pointing out the truth?

Just now, Kilmer17 said:

I get the idea behind a "first step".  I just dont believe that the first step will accomplish anything, and that everyone involved will slap themselves on the back and wont take the next few steps that would actually help.

Want to ban assault rifles?  Sure.  I have no problem with that.  But I want to ban any gun that can hold more than 1 round.  Show me a politician that is willing to take THAT stand.

I hear you. I just dont think we can get people behind whole sale changes like that. I think all your ideas are great tbh. I just dont think we can get people past the politics of them. Dem or repub. 

Let me ask you if we CANT make the changes you are talking about (Ban gun shows, ban private sales, ban weapons with more than 1 round) what do we do? Nothing or a small change to get the ball moving? 

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

I hear you. I just dont think we can get people behind whole sale changes like that. I think all your ideas are great tbh. I just dont think we can get people past the politics of them. Dem or repub. 

Let me ask you if we CANT make the changes you are talking about (Ban gun shows, ban private sales, ban weapons with more than 1 round) what do we do? Nothing or a small change to get the ball moving? 

We've never tried.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Dont tackle the loophole.  Ban gun shows.  Ban the private sale of guns.

According to the Congressional Research Service, there are roughly twice as many guns per capita in the United States as there were in 1968: more than 300 million guns in all. Gun sales have increased in recent years.Jan 5, 2016

https://www.npr.org/2016/01/05/462017461/guns-in-america-by-the-numbers

How do you deal with the existing guns for those you would ban?  There are already enough guns in this country to last until the  end of time.  

We can’t stop the private sale of anything.  The cat is out of the bag.  We need to find real solutions.  In a country where 300 MILLION guns are already in private hands banning weapons at this point accomplishes absolutely nothing.

I do want to stop mass shootings though.

Edited by Painkiller
  • Like 1

Just now, Painkiller said:

According to the Congressional Research Service, there are roughly twice as many guns per capita in the United States as there were in 1968: more than 300 million guns in all. Gun sales have increased in recent years.Jan 5, 2016

How do you deal with the existing guns for those you would ban?  There are already enough guns in this country to last until the  

We can’t stop the private sale of anything.  The cat is out of the bag.  We need to find real solutions.  In a country where 300 MILLION guns are already in private hands banning weapons at this point accomplishes absolutely nothing.

I said it before, no one replied.

Democrats are the best gun salesmen around.  

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

No one replied because there is nothing helpful about this. You already know its contentious to say and the fact that it literally helps nothing makes it easily passed on by those of us actually trying to communicate with each other. 

4 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

How do you deal with the existing guns for those you would ban?  There are already enough guns in this country to last until the  

I saw a stat after Vegas that showed the majority of guns used in mass shootings were acquired within a year of the shooting.  I'll try and find it.

Stop it now, then address the existing ones with confining laws, regulations and offer incentives to turn them in to melt.  Make it a tax credit, make it free puppy, make it a free get out of speeding ticket.  Just dont tell me it's impossible.

• Like 2

Just now, Llevron said:

No one replied because there is nothing helpful about this. You already know its contentious to say and the fact that it literally helps nothing makes it easily passed on by those of us actually trying to communicate with each other. 

How's it contentious when it's actually true?  If you're pissed about guns being purchased and gun sales, does it concern you when Democrats are in office that gun sales and the gun industry is better?  You find this contentious because you believe Democrats to be harsh on gun laws and the only ones capable of fixing this problem when the reality of the situation is that the gun industry does better when the people you vote for are in office.  

5 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

and they don’t see it or if they have they refuse to change course.  

Honestly, after a mass shooting who among you who are gun owners are ready to turn in your guns for the greater good?  Who would actually participate in say...a government buy back program?  

Let’s say a buy back program resulted in 1 million guns being turned in. Still leaves you with 299 million guns.  If our goal is to stop mass shootings what has that really accomplished?  

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

How's it contentious when it's actually true?  If you're pissed about guns being purchased and gun sales, does it concern you when Democrats are in office that gun sales and the gun industry is better?  You find this contentious because you believe Democrats to be harsh on gun laws and the only ones capable of fixing this problem when the reality of the situation is that the gun industry does better when the people you vote for are in office.  

What are you trying to get at?

Should Democrats STFU and just ignore this epidemic so the NRA can't use propaganda campaigns to boost gun sales? 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

This could be both one of the dumbest things I have ever read and one of the best political spins ever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Painkiller said:

and they don’t see it or if they have they refuse to change course.  

Honestly, after a mass shooting who among you who are gun owners are ready to turn in your guns for the greater good?  Who would actually participate in say...a government buy back program?  

Let’s say a buy back program resulted in 1 million guns being turned in. Still leaves you with 299 million guns.  If our goal is to stop mass shootings what has that really accomplished?  

It is your exact mentality that has led to this mass proliferation of weapons, and now any raving lunatic can easily purchase firearms and shoot people up.

You are right, nothing can be done at this point. The damage people like you could have inflicted on our national conscience about gun sales and ownership is pretty much done.

Congrats and I hope you enjoy your shiny toys when children are gunned down in schools week after week.