Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's Talk about Pets

d0ublestr0ker0ll

43 minutes ago, Weganator said:

If its any consolation, we didn't come up with the name ourselves. There was this beagle rescue down in TN that had found a litter of them behind a Taco Bell

I can relate - I have a male dog that was a foster fail (we fostered him but no one adopted him) whose name is....Cookie.  

Edited by Riggo-toni
  • Like 2

Gonna run out of likes for the month if y'all keep this up lol. 

Below is Thanos getting ready to eat my phone (don't trust the cuteness he is actually quite adapt at luring you in then trying to eat you or your stuff) and Thanos sneaking on the couch to sleep with the GF who actually was really sad because she thought before this picture that he didn't like her at all for some reason. 

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

• Like 11

We are getting a Labradoodle and are on a waiting list with the #2 pick of the liter.  The breeder did an ultrasound and the mom is going to have 7 puppies.  She also went into labor around 2pm today and is literally birthing the puppies.  So far two have come, one chocolate female and one chocolate male.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm not really much of a pet person 

(when i am the one that actually has to care for it, and pay for it!  I loved my cats and dog...when my parents did all the work/paying)

but my kids REALLY want one, and we had been leaning towards getting a cat or a dog for them... but now we have tested my youngest daughter and my wife, and they seem to have dog and cat allergies.

anybody here have pets with allergies? 

(are you taking an allergy pill every day?  or do you have some sort of hypoallergenic dog or cat?  or do you just love animals soooo much that you just ****ing deal with it??) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Dancer is the best guard dog, she barks alerts really well. 

Harper is the worst guard dog, she just so friendly and calm.  Pretty sure if someone broke into my house, Harper would bring the burglar a ball to throw.

Friendly and calm, however, are the best possible traits when you have a baby in the house, especially once that baby turns one and learns how to grab you by the ears and tail, then turns two and is pretty much a terrorist.  

GIMME THAT EAR MOTHER****ER

IMG_1896.JPG

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

(are you taking an allergy pill every day?  or do you have some sort of hypoallergenic dog or cat?  or do you just love animals soooo much that you just ****ing deal with it??) 

There are cats without hair. Personally they creep me out. 

Labradoodles are supposed to be less allergen. I think dogs that have hair have less allergens, like Maltese, Coton de Tulear like Dancer, the different varieties of poodles, and more. 

Depending on the age of your children, think about how big a dog you want, and a puppy or an older dog.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

I'm not really much of a pet person 

(when i am the one that actually has to care for it, and pay for it!  I loved my cats and dog...when my parents did all the work/paying)

but my kids REALLY want one, and we had been leaning towards getting a cat or a dog for them... but now we have tested my youngest daughter and my wife, and they seem to have dog and cat allergies.

I grew up with severe allergies, all the seasonal stuff and cats and dogs.  I was on allegra and a decongestant since 4th grade and had allergy shots from age 10 through age 38 (28 years).  I got retested and all were mild and my allergy to dogs was completely gone.  

With that said, it is going to depend upon how bad their allergies to both are.  Is one milder than the other?  If the same, where does it rank on the scale (think my scale was 1-5 with 1 being mild)?  While allergic to both, we got a cat, two of them, and it didn't bother me too much at all, just a little stuffiness here and there, but that could have easily have been from dust and seasonal stuff too.

As far as dogs go, the Labradoodle is a hypoallergenic breed.  Of course, it's not 100% hypoallergenic, that's impossible.  But the breed was specifically created to have minimal shedding, which is key as it's the dog/cat dander that one is actually allergic to.  Less fur (because it's bred with a poodle which has hair), minimal shedding, less dander, better for allergy sufferers.

Keeping your house as clean as possible at all times helps too (vacuuming furniture, changing bed sheets regularly if the pet is allowed up there, sweeping floors, not letting the dog/cat sleep with them at night, etc.).  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

Niece is hypoallergenic. They got her a Golden doodle and she has never had an issue. Hugs the dog and rubs her face in his fer and everything. The MINUTE I walked in with Thanos she freaked out (sneezing like that mouse on looney toones) so I guess some breeds really are that much better. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

There are cats without hair. Personally they creep me out.

Hairless cats creep me out too.  :ols:

I survive with my allergies, I'd rather sniffle and sneeze than be without kitties.  *I only need a pill every few days or so, when spring/fall crap in the air is at it's worst.*

edit, add:  my grandson sneezes his face off when he's here, tho...so I understand the levels of allergic reaction...some are way worse than others.

Edited by skinsmarydu
  • Like 1

Taze has the experience, great answer! 

I don't have allergies, except for cedar, which doesn't bode well for me going to Austin. 

But animals, no. Had dogs and cats growing up, really all my life.

5 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

So far the mother dog has had 4 puppies, 1 choc female, 2 choc males and 1 caramel male.  So, it looks like we will definitely get our first preferences, a chocolate male.  Tazette is so excited, it's unreal right now.

I went crazy waiting for Dancer to be born! I don't know her birth order, there were only 2 puppies. I wanted a female so got my wish!

16 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Taze has the experience, great answer! 

I don't have allergies, except for cedar, which doesn't bode well for me going to Austin. 

But animals, no. Had dogs and cats growing up, really all my life.

I went crazy waiting for Dancer to be born! I don't know her birth order, there were only 2 puppies. I wanted a female so got my wish!

It's pretty cool, breeder keeps sending out updates.  #5 was just born and it's another chocolate male :D  

• Like 2

When I lived in Annapolis, my neighbor's chocolate lab had 11 puppies, 6 black, 5 chocolate. I considered getting one but had just put my garden in and didn't want a dog out there, it was a big garden. It was something to see 11 puppies running across the yard toward me! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Catching up with the discussion:

@Dont Taze Me Bro - COOL man.  I think my unsolicited advice for you is to kind of treat him like one of your kids.  They are clay to mold.  My brother ignores dogs after he buys them for his kids, and kinda despises them for their behavior afterwards.  I'm like dude, you gotta interact and TEACH it.  It's not rocket science.  I teach the ass out of peoples pets in a day.  Totally change them for the better in like one fell swoop.

The first thing that brings the "teacher" out of me is chewing on electrical wires.  HELL NO.  Ain't happenin'.  My reaction always gets their attention, even if it's extremely cute and in "baby talk", it's stern and pointing to the wire saying, "Noooo...No chew wires.  Bad.  Bad chewing wires."

Took a few days to get that out of my dogs when they were babies.  It also taught them the words "no" and "bad" at an extremely young age.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll
  • Like 1

So I will be posting a lot about my "pets" at work.  Head of the caretaking department.  I'm there on the busiest nights.  (Thursday in to the wee hours of Tuesday morning).  It's a massive, insane amount of work.  Been pulling 12 hour shifts daily.  That's my thing though, and while they are scared of me burning out (which I have done a couple times), I tell them that I'll be alright.  Got a passion for it.  Kind of like sports as a kid, and multiplayer video games in my 20s.  This is the new baseball for me, or Call of Duty.

ANYWAY.  This is Libra.  She's been there since July 31st, and is finally leaving tomorrow (Oct 4th).  Over 2 months of boarding fees, with a good discount, still comes out to $1,200 for the owner.  His home got infested with black mold, and his wife is in the hospital.  He visited Libra from time to time, and we had good talks.  She's an absolute doll.  I'm going to miss her so much.  Said my goodbye to her this morning.  Bought her a pack of toys to go home with.  This is the last picture I took of her, right before I left.

59d43dba93689_2017Oct3176.thumb.jpg.62dc7548560ca289d68bdfe7316f7760.jpg

• Like 4

It can be rough when the dog is smarter than you ;)

Of course some consider most trainable and such the smartest.

My wife has been wanting a Corgi for years...I brought home a Mexican.

38 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I have two corgis. Everything I read indicates that they are among the smartest dog breeds. Like top 10. If true, this does not give me much hope for the species as a whole.

Like children, they have the capacity for learning.  If you dont nurture and grow it, you dont see it.  Usually it just leads to them finding their own trouble.

And I love taking in fosters that were never crate trained.  Guess im not sleeping tonight.

31 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Like children, they have the capacity for learning.

Good comparison GB. It's amazing how stupid children actually are too.

31 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

And I love taking in fosters that were never crate trained.

Now this is just wrong though. How old are these kids?

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Haha 1