Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

U.S. Air Force Academy Superintendent Shows How to Lead

Dan T.

This was buried in another thread, but this needs to be widely seen.  Someone wrote racist slurs on public message boards at the Air Force Academy Prep School. General Jay B. Silveria, Academy superintendent, called for an immediate assembly and addressed the students and faculty.  

Note to people in leadership positions.  Here is how you respond to racist events. This man did himself, the Air Force, and the nation proud

Saw an interview w/ him yesterday, he made the point that not only did he want this tackled headon for very good reasons but he wanted to use this as a teaching moment for the cadets, to demonstrate how you lead. Thought it was a very good point, he was forceful, direct, no fine print room for interpretation in his message while at the same time took a moral and ehtical stand. Gen. Silveria deserves all the accolades he receives.

I was glad to see this. There has been an ongoing problem of rape and sexual harassment of female cadets at the academy. I would have liked to see this message earlier in relation to that situation. Better late than never I suppose.

Thank goodness for people like Gen. Silveria, and looking at his last name, he's a person of color. 

Why hasn't a European white person spoken out clearly and succinctly.

4 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

There were bad messages on many sides, on many sides.

Beat me to it! ??

3 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Thank goodness for people like Gen. Silveria, and looking at his last name, he's a person of color. 

Because they're too busy being persecuted?

7 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

LadySkinsFan, I respect a lot of the things you post and your viewpoints, but the above quote bothered me to be honest.  I think there have been a lot people across all racial backgrounds who have spoken forcefully and clearly against racism recently.  Maybe I'm reading it wrong or overblowing it, but I think it would be wrong to suggest that some racial groups are sitting on the sidelines or being silent in the face of racism.

Well, I think that there's been lots of rambling about racial equality. 

What I was most impressed with was the general's repeating of the phrase "get out". 

I've not heard anyone else be quite so clear. Especially from the USAF. That academy I

Is or at least was filled with a virulent form of right wing, militant Christianity that was racially intolerant, and the rape and sexual harassment of female cadets was routinely covered up. 

The general's speech brooked no misunderstanding, and I bet if they find the people who wrote that slur, they will be fired and made examples of. At least I hope so.

No one I k know of has taken such a stand.

• 1 month later...

Hoaxes of that nature---stoking serious social issues--- piss me off, of course, but I'd say it doesn't take any merit or value from the general's response, or even lessen its timeliness and broader appropriateness.

Tangentially, I was talking with TK awhile back about this member we have who's been around a long time and once, more than a few years ago, posted particularly open anti-black racist comments one time, but couldn't find the archive then, and didn't remember whether I was a mod at the time or exactly what happened about it, if anything, afterwards. I noted that the member since then has pretty much been of sparse participation in general and more circumspect in sociopolitical topics. But he's still here, and logically would hardly be the only one  harboring such thinking. So I mean to write sometime on where some people might think "all the racism went" in our society after, you know, everything was made right and settled.

7 hours ago, LeesburgSkinFan said:

Great job, dude.  You just fueled the fires of the "racism doesn't exist anymore it's just whining" crowd for another 5 years.  

I just read the article.  I see that the student responsible is no longer enrolled, so I hope they expelled him.  With all the racial crap going on, we don't need people going around inciting racial crap that's false.  I too, and glad the superintendent spoke out when he did.  I hope there was also a mandatory gathering to say that fake stories like this won't be tolerated either.

Archived