Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cities Race for Amazon's second "head quarters"

Elessar78

48 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

50 thousand transplants ? No, only temporary jobs for the folks that build the place. 

50k new jobs in the next 10+ years I believe. So not overnight. And likely won't attain that number, but it's a loft and probably realistic goal. Of course some will come from Seattle. And of course some will come from all over the US and the world, but it will provide for jobs for people who are from or want to live in the area that Amazon will choose to locate.

And yes, Amazon is killing the mom and pops or the retail stores, but they do sell products that small businesses might make. They won't replace the service industry, though they might destroy big-box like big-box destroyed main street.

1 hour ago, Kosher Ham said:

50 thousand transplants ? No, only temporary jobs for the folks that build the place. 

Good gracious. 

Well, the presence of Amazon HQ should increase jobs for those who already live in that city/town, as well as increase their property values if they decide they don't like the changes and want to move. Let's eliminate places like the DMV, which already has the talent pool Amazon is looking for and wouldn't actually be adding 50k transplants. Let's take a smaller town of your choice. Yes, there will be construction jobs available to build the facility. But beyond that, there will also be construction jobs to build new homes for new neighborhoods. Other businesses in other industries will seek to open businesses there to take advantage of all of the potential customers with well-paying jobs. This in turn means more jobs for the residents who already live there. 

Let's also not forget that not every one of those 50k are going to be IT related positions. They'll need positions for Administration, Security, Warehouse work....the list goes on. 

We have the workforce yes. But Amazon will draw a ton of people here as well. It won’t all be locally sourced. Our unemployment rate in the corporate HQ and tech job sectors is like 2-3%. So we’d need to bring more people in over time to hit their 50k goal. Which again, won’t be on day 1 but more likely if it ever gets to that #, Years 10-15

7 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Also, regarding people that wish we could go back to the 1950's:  **** those people.  

Why are you stuck on this?  There are a lot of special and unique places in America.  Almost 100 percent of the time, uniqueness is not related to economic prosperity.  If it were, cities like New Orleans would be dull and devoid of cultural richness.  And very often, especially nowadays, that uniqueness is a fragile thing, and can be easily upset by the gawdiness of, say, a new amazon hq.

If you think what is separating you from happiness is amazon moving to dc, then more power to you.  Just dont pretend like there are valid other points of view which might include hoping and praying that amazon stays the **** away.  DC is already wrecked, a city of transplants and the neauvou riche, hellish traffic and a suffocating cost of living... so whats one more gawdy entrance to that zoo anyway :ols: hope you land them!  :)

11 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Interesting article about what luring Amazon to a community costs that community's residents. And jobs aren't forthcoming.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-26/amazon-is-getting-a-good-deal-in-ohio-maybe-too-good

You mean some people don't want their property valuation(and thus tax bills) to rise ?

Or congestion and blighting the landscape?

Must be a Zoony crowd.

50 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Interesting article about what luring Amazon to a community costs that community's residents. And jobs aren't forthcoming.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-26/amazon-is-getting-a-good-deal-in-ohio-maybe-too-good

Wow, the economics of this are stunning.  Never seen it really spelled out like this

I guess the counter argument of "jobs" only matters if they actually materialize, or if politicians suspend the belief that one low paying warehouse job at amazon is probably displacing 1 or more equivalent retail jobs.  Its basically a wash, and now residents face property tax hikes to pay for services needed to wipe amazon's ass.

As usual, Americans getting ****ed.  Unbelievable that so many americans think amazon in their town is a great thing, completely dismissing counter arguments as ignorant

4 minutes ago, zoony said:

As usual, Americans getting ****ed.  Unbelievable that so many americans think amazon in their town is a great thing, completely dismissing counter arguments as ignorant

Well not all Americans , it usually matters which ones benefit more than which ones are getting ****ed if it is the right ones. 

Luring businesses is fine if you protect your own folk. 

27 minutes ago, twa said:

Well not all Americans , it usually matters which ones benefit more than which ones are getting ****ed if it is the right ones. 

The idea would be to scale and leverage.  There is no scale or leverage here, other than that being applied and won by amazon

4 hours ago, twa said:

Luring businesses is almost always terrible.  It causes a race to the bottom that hurts people in both places.

11 minutes ago, Predicto said:

Luring businesses is almost always terrible.  It causes a race to the bottom that hurts people in both places.

Maybe you are luring the wrong ones?

Of course some of us are nearer the bottom so the view varies.

• 2 months later...

This list makes me happy. Very good chance it ends up near one of my homes 

8 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Did no one in the DMV think of unifying a bid? 

Kind of dumb that NoVA, MD and DC are bidding as separate entities when our economies are so closely tied together. 

Honestly governments and localities should collude (no law against it for govt) so that this isn’t an auction of giveaways to a very wealthy corporation 

Some of the giveaways are embarrassing 

I was in Canada when the first round of proposals went out. I’m not sure what the offers from the DMV look like. 

Toronto offered Amazon no subsidies. It was centered around the high quality of life, easy immigration process and the transportation infrastructure. 

God I miss that place.

37 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Kind of dumb that NoVA, MD and DC are bidding as separate entities when our economies are so closely tied together. 

Can you explain to me like im the President terms how they would do something like that? 

This entire thing is disgusting.  The race to see which city gets ruined by a corporation.  Though it has been pretty entertaining to see the libs trip all over themselves to get in line to suck off bazos.  Guess not all corporations are evil.

On another note, stay the **** out of nashville please and thank you

39 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

I was in Canada when the first round of proposals went out. I’m not sure what the offers from the DMV look like. 

Toronto offered Amazon no subsidies. It was centered around the high quality of life, easy immigration process and the transportation infrastructure. 

God I miss that place.

"Im gonna take my talents to Toronto"

-Bazos

This whole thing is awesome to sit back and watch

49 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

I agree, it seems workable.  One of the 3 parties is likely to have to give a long-term property tax exemption, but all 3 are likely to reap the benefits of the influx of jobs, and all 3 are likely to reap the issues of increased traffic, demand for public services etc.  No reason the property tax exemption can't be split 3 ways through subsidies (i.e., if they stuck the HQ in DC, and DC agrees to forego $10 million in property taxes per year for 15 years, the VA and MD could kick in $3.3 M per year towards Metro or some other shared expense).  

3 minutes ago, zoony said:

This entire thing is disgusting.  The race to see which city gets ruined by a corporation.  Though it has been pretty entertaining to see the libs trip all over themselves to get in line to suck off bazos.  Guess not all corporations are evil.

Yea, just look at how bad Amazon ****ed up Seattle.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/data/seattle-once-again-nations-fastest-growing-big-city-population-exceeds-700000/

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/11/can-seattle-handle-its-success/546053/

SEATTLE—If it didn’t rain here so much, the city might consider adopting a new motto: The future’s so bright we have to wear shades.

:ols:

2 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Don’t worry nobody wants to go to Tennessee. I assume their inclusion on the shortlist was a typo. 

Yes.  Deranged hillbillies will rape you and everyone is a backwards racist.  Stay the **** out, thanks in advance.

10 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I agree, it seems workable.  One of the 3 parties is likely to have to give a long-term property tax exemption, but all 3 are likely to reap the benefits of the influx of jobs, and all 3 are likely to reap the issues of increased traffic, demand for public services etc.  No reason the property tax exemption can't be split 3 ways through subsidies (i.e., if they stuck the HQ in DC, and DC agrees to forego $10 million in property taxes per year for 15 years, the VA and MD could kick in $3.3 M per year towards Metro or some other shared expense).  

Yea, just look at how bad Amazon ****ed up Seattle.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/data/seattle-once-again-nations-fastest-growing-big-city-population-exceeds-700000/

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/11/can-seattle-handle-its-success/546053/

:ols:

So now we are comparing organically grown business with the race towards zero policies of luring corporations?  Okay

18 minutes ago, zoony said:

On another note, stay the **** out of nashville please and thank you

"Im gonna take my talents to Toronto"

-Bazos

This whole thing is awesome to sit back and watch

Toronto is a great forward thinking city. Sorry you hate progress so much. 

The DMV according to zoony if Amazon moves here:

latest?cb=20120907203615

:rofl89:

Archived